Pulparize It!

Blue

Re: Pulparize It!

Thanks to the online OED, I can say "Sorry, but you've been misinformed." - - - Yes, I've heard that one before, but it's wrong.

Copy & paste from the OED:

Thus, "Excalibur" was "Escalibor", from "Caliburn", given by Geoffrey of Monmouth as the latinate "Caliburnus". He got it from the Mabinogion where it was "Caledvwlch" which resembles (and may have come from) the Irish legendary name "Caladbolg", which means "hard-belly" or "voracious".

Nothing about stones or liberation. ;)

And now you know....

...And knowing is half the battle. :P

Say maybe we should pulparize GI Joe. :doi:

Thanks to the online OED, I can say "Sorry, but you've been misinformed." - - - Yes, I've heard that one before, but it's wrong.

Copy & paste from the OED:

Thus, "Excalibur" was "Escalibor", from "Caliburn", given by Geoffrey of Monmouth as the latinate "Caliburnus". He got it from the Mabinogion where it was "Caledvwlch" which resembles (and may have come from) the Irish legendary name "Caladbolg", which means "hard-belly" or "voracious".

Nothing about stones or liberation. ;)

And now you know....

...And knowing is half the battle. :P

Say maybe we should pulparize GI Joe. :doi:

Actually, I was quoting Bill Nye the Science Guy. Who I don't see being pulparized: A fellow on TV explaining science to youngsters---how do you pulparize that?

A fellow on TV explaining science to youngsters---how do you pulparize that?

Okay, delete the TV, make it public lecture halls and you've got it. Right up to the advent of WWII there were famous guys wandering around speaking at public meetings about things they'd seen and done. The opening to 'Journey to the Centre of the Earth starts with such. There were (and are) whole series of lectures made by scientists and engineers for public edification. Many of them being placed on film for mass showing in schools & colleges during the 1920's.

After WWII these developed into things like Richard Feynmans physics lectures etc.

Okay' date=' delete the TV, make it public lecture halls and you've got it. Right up to the advent of WWII there were famous guys wandering around speaking at public meetings about things they'd seen and done. The opening to 'Journey to the Centre of the Earth starts with such. [/quote']

Also the opening to Young Frankenstein.

jg

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, the name Excalibur came from the Latin phrase "Ex Calce Libere",

which translates roughly into English as "To liberate from the stone".

Major Tom :cool:

It would have been odd if that were true since Excalibur came from the lake, not the stone.

• 3 weeks later...

The Player of Games: the best chessplayer in America is approached by agents of the US government to enter a tournament in a mystic East-African nation where the winner of the tournament becomes King. It would help diplomatic relations, they say. We only expect you to maybe become an honorary colonel in their armed forces, they say. We're assigning you bodyguards and some of the embassy staff, but they're just to help you with the language and the locals. Whatever you do, hold up the honor of the US, but DON'T WIN THE TOURNAMENT . . . .

The Player of Games: the best chessplayer in America is approached by agents of the US government to enter a tournament in a mystic East-African nation where the winner of the tournament becomes King. It would help diplomatic relations' date=' they say. We only expect you to maybe become an honorary colonel in their armed forces, they say. We're assigning you bodyguards and some of the embassy staff, but they're just to help you with the language and the locals. Whatever you do, hold up the honor of the US, but DON'T WIN THE TOURNAMENT . . . .[/quote']i've never heard of the player of games whreres it from?

its from a novel by Iain M. Banks because the game wasn't just chess but a unique game played only in the Azad empire. I think the character would be more than just a chess master more of a expert in games in general I think your classic pulp polymath a mathematician gambler and playboy. oh and the country and game would be called AZAD I'm kind of tempted to do a write up.

[b]John Morat Gurgenheim  - [/b]

[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
10    STR     0   10      11-       HTH Damage 2d6  END [2]
18    DEX     24   18      13-       OCV 6 DCV 6
10    CON     0   10      11-
10    BODY    0   10      11-
21    INT     11   21      13-       PER Roll 15-
18    EGO     16   18      13-       ECV: 6
18    PRE     8   18      13-       PRE Attack: 3 1/2d6
16    COM     3   16      12-
2    PD      0   2             2 PD (0 rPD)
2    ED      0   2             2 ED (0 rED)
3    SPD     2   3                 Phases:  4, 8, 12
4    REC     0   4
20    END     0   20
20    STUN    0   20
6    RUN      0   6"                END [1]
2    SWIM     0   2"                END [1]
2    LEAP     0   2"                2" forward, 1" upward

[b]CHA Cost: 64[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b]
6     [b][i]trained observer[/i][/b]: +2 PER with all Sense Groups - END=0
20     Luck 4d6 - END=0

[b]POWERS Cost: 26[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]SKILLS[/u][/b]
3      Acting 13-
3      Bureaucratics 13-
3      Deduction 13-
5      Cramming 
10      Gambling (Board Games, Card Games, Dice Games, Sports Betting, Roulette) 13-
3      Lipreading 13-
3      High Society 13-
3      Persuasion 13-
3      Seduction 13-
3      Sleight Of Hand 13-
3      Streetwise 13-
3      Cryptography 13-
3      Conversation 13-
3      Linguist
1      1)  Language:  Arabic (basic conversation)
0      2)  Language:  English (imitate dialects) (5 Active Points)
2      3)  Language:  French (completely fluent) (3 Active Points)
2      4)  Language:  German (completely fluent) (3 Active Points)
1      5)  Language:  Greek (fluent conversation) (2 Active Points)
2      6)  Language:  Russian (completely fluent) (3 Active Points)
3      Jack of All Trades
2      1)  PS: chess master (3 Active Points) 13-
2      2)  PS: gambler (3 Active Points) 13-
2      3)  PS: player of games (3 Active Points) 13-
3      Scientist
2      1)  SS:  game theory 13- (3 Active Points)
2      2)  SS:  mathematics 13- (3 Active Points)
2      3)  SS:  psychology 13- (3 Active Points)
3      Scholar
2      1)  KS: games of chance (3 Active Points) 13-
2      2)  KS: games of skill (3 Active Points) 13-
2      3)  KS: tne Gaming world (3 Active Points) 13-
20      +4 with all appropriate skills while playing games
3      Analyze:  games 13-
3      Analyze:  play Style 13-
3      Tactics 13-

[b]SKILLS Cost: 115[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]PERKS[/u][/b]
10      Money:  Wealthy

[b]PERKS Cost: 10[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]TALENTS[/u][/b]
9      Ambidexterity (no Off Hand penalty)

[b]TALENTS Cost: 9[/b]
[b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b]
20     Psychological Limitation:  can't resist playing games (Very Common, Strong)
20     Social Limitation:  blackmailed by the secret service (Frequently, Severe)
5     Reputation:  worlds best games player, 11- (Known Only To A Small Group)
5     Hunted:  angry defeated player 8- (Less Pow, Harshly Punish)
10     Psychological Limitation:  arrogant (Common, Moderate)
20     Psychological Limitation:  low tolerence for boredom (Very Common, Strong)

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 80[/b]

Base Pts: 200
Exp Required: 0
Total Exp Available: 0
Exp Unspent: 0
Total Character Cost: 224

Ok here's a quick go he came out quite expensive because I tend to use lots of skills just trimming down to a more basic package would, bring him down to normal pulp levels he's not much of a fighter but he should be able to con his way out of a lot of situations

Okay, delete the TV, make it public lecture halls and you've got it. Right up to the advent of WWII there were famous guys wandering around speaking at public meetings about things they'd seen and done. The opening to 'Journey to the Centre of the Earth starts with such. There were (and are) whole series of lectures made by scientists and engineers for public edification. Many of them being placed on film for mass showing in schools & colleges during the 1920's.

After WWII these developed into things like Richard Feynmans physics lectures etc.

Not just scientists. In the Victorian age, authors like Dickens and Twain made lucrative lecture tours all over the world. Oscar Wilde went to America specifically to lay the groundwork for a production of Gilbert & Sullivan's Patience, an opera which was largely a satire on Wilde himself that he took with surprisingly good humor. In an age where the money from sales of books passed through many hands, most of them not at all related to the author, these tours were vital sources of income for the literary elite (not to mention getting them out of their studies and into the world).

[b]John Morat Gurgenheim  - [/b]

Ok here's a quick go he came out quite expensive because I tend to use lots of skills just trimming down to a more basic package would, bring him down to normal pulp levels he's not much of a fighter but he should be able to con his way out of a lot of situations

Nice write up! I like it. :thumbup:

Mistress Garrett is by day a responsible house mother for a respectable girls boarding school. At night, what goes on behind closed doors is both a sin and a crime. When a tough talking dame from the other side of the tracks and an airy debutante become ensnared in Garret's evil web, it will take a two fisted hero to teach them...

THE FACTS OF LIFE

Mistress Garrett was by day a responsible house mother for a respectable girls boarding school. At night, what goes on behind closed doors is both a sin and a crime. When a tough talking dame from the other side of the tracks and an airy debutante become ensnared in Garret's evil web, it will take a two fisted hero to teach them...

THE FACTS OF LIFE

not bad,

would you believe i was wonering how maxwell smart secret agent 86 of CONTROL would be pulparised?

not bad,

would you believe i was wonering how maxwell smart secret agent 86 of CONTROL would be pulparised?

Given that he was a spoof on the very pulpy spy genre, it would fit easily. KAOS could go in pretty much as is, inclkuding Siegfried. And the old rubber garbage trick would still work.

Originally Posted by Major Tom

Actually, the name Excalibur came from the Latin phrase "Ex Calce Libere",

which translates roughly into English as "To liberate from the stone".

Major Tom

It would have been odd if that were true since Excalibur came from the lake, not the stone.

I thought Excalibur was called "Ex Caliburnus," meaning "cuts through steel/iron." I suppose I'm wrong, then?

I thought Excalibur was called "Ex Caliburnus' date='" meaning "cuts through steel/iron." I suppose I'm wrong, then?[/quote']

Most likely from Monmouth's Caliburn which was probably a derivation of chalybs which is simply steel, sickle or sword. It's possible there's a connection to the Irish Caldabolg, but you really have to want it.

On the other hand if I was going to Pulparize It I'd go with it being based on the Greek 'Ex Kylie Pyr' (Fire from the cup) and either make it a mythic light saber or attach it to the grail legend.

This seems as good a place as any to show my ignorance and ask.

Why would a Pulp hero be more 'two fisted' than any other hero with the normal proportion of limbs etc?

Does it just mean that they are more likely to punch people than most heroes? Or that they can punch two people at the same time?