Pulparize It!

Blue

Re: Pulparize It!

can you pulparise STREET FIGHTER ?

Sure. Take a cue from Fearless and have a competition set up to prove who's style is superior in an effort to whip up Chinese or Japanese national pride. Actually' date=' this sounds like Blood sport. Hmm... one could have the Japanese military back it, to prove their superiority and/or scope out the competition. That makes it more like Fist of Legend, though....[/quote']

It can be set up like one of the other Van Damme movies where fights are arranged for gambling, and take place wherever designated. Bison, the master of Shadoloo, becomes a warlord in the Far East trying to grab whatever he can before the world goes over the edge. Chun Li would have to be the daughter of a local bureaucrat, but not connected to Interpol. Guile could probably be an adventurer who learned how to fight, but not Special Forces. Ryu could probably be the same.

CES

The Quest is the Van Damme movie that csyphrett is talking about. It is set in the 1930's and is in most ways a complete rip-off of Bloodsport, but it has a lot of nice pulp touches. Look for Roger Moore delightfully chewing up the scenery as a riverboat captain/pirate operating in waterways of Southeast Asia. The movie has some unrealistic and/or anachronistic fighting styles included, and the writing and acting are spotty, but it's worth a cheap rental.

Also, Jackie Chan's first attempt at making a dent in the U.S. market was The Big Brawl . It is set during the Depression, and Jackie has to enter a no-holds-barred bareknuckle streetfighting torunament to save his father's restaurant and a girl from the mob. He fights big, tough street boxers and wrestlers for the most part, but it has the tone we are talking about.

A much better movie that covers this ground is Hard Times . Charles Bronson plays a hobo who enters into the world of underground prizefighting, again during the height of the Depression, under the sponsorship of Lee Marvin's character, a professional gambler. Lee Marvin plays an excellent degenerate shyster type. Walter Hill directed, and I think it is one of his better films. Mostly boxing and catch-as-catch-can wrestling moves, with some really interesting moments. Also has a great soundtrack if you like zydeco and blues music.

So there are a lot of inspiration options for pulp versions of Street Fighter.

Harry Dresden Pulp

Alright. I'm finally going to do this. I'm going to pulp Harry Dresden, with three different options for it all. Now with ten books and several short stories, there is a lot to put with and I'm probably going to over do it. This is going to be three posts, one for each version.

One small note. Only problem I seem to have is what to do with Karrin Murphy. As far as I know, there were not really any female cops back in the twenty and thirties. If I'm wrong you can leave her as is. Otherwise, you could have officer Murphy be a guy, Karrin be something else, or split the character in two, one for each part.

and now Pulp Harry Dresden.

Version One, As Is: Harry Dresden is a wizard in 1920's Chicago, and even advertises as such. If you look him up, you will find him as the only wizard advertising.

Most people don't take the ad seriously, thinking it is a joke or just some crazy guy. He does get some actual work, but most of his pay comes from consutling with a special department in the police force.

Harry has problems as many people. He has to make a living, paying for food, and rent. He is single and trying to have a relationship.

Then there are the more unusual problems in Harry's life. His last girlfriend was bitten by a vampire and is fighting to keep from drinking blood, even have to leave Chicago. He has to deal with being part of a war between the vampires and the white council, who is also under attack from the inside by a group of evil wizards. He has an apprentice to train who break a rule, and if she ever does it again, they will both be automatically sentenced to death by the very council they are a part of and he is trying to help.

Harry has an actual Fairy Godmother, but nothing like Disney. She wants him to become her slave and serve her in exchange for more power. Meanwhile, he is also in debt to perform a job for the queen of the winter court of the sidhe, who wants him to serve as her Winter Knight.

On a less constant level, Harry also has to stop evil sorcerers, battle fallen angels, and keeps running across one of Chicago's most powerful mobsters, who Harry finds himself having to help more often than not.

Harry is not going at it all alone though. Helping him is Mouse, a mystical dog with some strange gifts of his own, Tomas Raith, Harry's half-brother, who is an Incubus, Molly Carpenter, his apprentice who Harry has had to put his own life up for to save, Michael Carpenter, Molly's father, a religous man who is a carpenter and a Knight of god, and a pack of werewolf college students called the Alphas.

How bad could things be? :sneaky::help:

Pulp Harry Dresden

Version Two, Toned Down: Harry Dresden, Occultist. Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden is an occult investigator with minor mystic power (either low level magic or telekinesis). He is the most open person in Chicago about investigating, much to the frustration of his fellow paranormal phenomena fans. In fact, one of his fellow members wants to kill him.

Meanwhile, Harry has to deal with some less then happy mobsters, including one of the most powerful mob bosses in Chicago, and the godmother, the matron of a lesser known gang, who wants Harry to come work for her and be part of the family.

The young investigator also has to deal with some cults, including a vampire cult who think blood drinking will grant them powers and immortality (who his girlfriend, a reporter, was investigating when she mysteriously disappeared), and a group who worship the fallen angels.

Harry is not alone however. He has a loyal dog, he mistakenly named Moue when it was small. He has a half-brother who is sexually promiscous and trying to find his place after his father's family disowned him. There is also Molly, his apprentice and a gifted young girl (telepath if psychic), and her father, a carpenter who seems to have god on his side.

Re: Mystery Men

Most of the MM could be pulparized without too much trouble, I think.

Except possibly for the Spleen - he kind of worries me.

In a pulp setting, he could just as easily be Skunkman with the ability to transform into a skunk, both intentionally and inadvertantly. Hilarity ensues.

Harry Dresden Pulp

Version Three, Non-Magical: Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden, Private Investigator of 1920's Chicago. Harry has two major gifts in his life; getting himself into trouble, and just barely getting out of it.

The son of a stage magician, Harry has learned many tricks of the trade and has found ways to apply them to his investigations, including being a master of lock picking and misdirection. Using his wits and training, he has made escapes that would do his father proud and put his namesake, Houdini, to shame.

Dresden's life is a bit complicated. While trying to eke out a living, the P.I finds himself in the middle of a mobwar, from time to time helping one side or the other, with both of them wanting Dresden to work for them. His girlfriend, a reporter, is missing, with no one knowing what she was working on at the time. Meanwhile, someone is roaming the streets of the windy city, hunting down and killing other private investigators.

Helping the Detective is: Mouse, a dog that seems to be one of the best at tracking scents in the world; Tomas Raith, Harry's half-brother, and the disinherited son of Raith industries; Molly Carpenter, Dresden's secretary who wants to be a private investigator in herself; Michael Carpenter, Molly's father and Harry's best friend who is a member a charity organization trying to help the less fortunate. Once in a great while, he even gets up from Billy Borden and his friends, a group of college students who want to turn Harry's adventures into a radio program.

There were female police officers in the twenties and thirties, but very few and confined to special details--juvenile, searching and otherwise dealing with female suspects, acting as decoys for the vice squad, that sort of thing. And naturally, little to no chance for advancement. (Once radio got in, dispatch work was considered an available option for female officers.)

Maybe a Pulp Harry dresden could be Harry as a magician-detective with no (obvious) magical powers... but repeated hinting that real magic is Out There? Pulp magic works best when it's low key, mysterious, and seems to carry a high price.

And you could give him Murphy as a sidekick. On the surface she's his Girl Friday, but in reality she serves as the muscle, as she's good with a gun and knows Savate and Jiu-Jitsu. (I'm not making that bit up; there actually was a pulp detective with a female partner like that).

Maybe a Pulp Harry dresden could be Harry as a magician-detective with no (obvious) magical powers... but repeated hinting that real magic is Out There? Pulp magic works best when it's low key' date=' mysterious, and seems to carry a high price.[/quote']

Interesting. I like the sound of that. :)

And you could give him Murphy as a sidekick. On the surface she's his Girl Friday' date=' but in reality she serves as the muscle, as she's good with a gun and knows Savate and Jiu-Jitsu. (I'm not making that bit up; there actually was a pulp detective with a female partner like that).[/quote']

Except that he already has a sidekick and girl Friday like character in Molly. Although it is interesting how well that fits Murphy since she is a marksman and has multiple trophies for her martial art skills.

There were female police officers in the twenties and thirties' date=' but very few and confined to special details--juvenile, searching and otherwise dealing with female suspects, acting as decoys for the vice squad, that sort of thing. And naturally, little to no chance for advancement. (Once radio got in, dispatch work was considered an available option for female officers.)[/quote']

Ooh. I like the sound of that. Okay. So Murphy could be a female cop, quite skilled, but not happy with her limited choices as she wants to be a detective. So she goes behind the precinct back to help Dresden. Or she's a vice decoy, and Harry keeps going to her for info on what's going on in the streets. I like this. :D

Originally Posted by SKJAM!

There were female police officers in the twenties and thirties, but very few and confined to special details--juvenile, searching and otherwise dealing with female suspects, acting as decoys for the vice squad, that sort of thing. And naturally, little to no chance for advancement. (Once radio got in, dispatch work was considered an available option for female officers.)

"But I took them away from all that and now they work for me, my name is Charlie".

There were female police officers in the twenties and thirties' date=' but very few and confined to special details--juvenile, searching and otherwise dealing with female suspects, acting as decoys for the vice squad, that sort of thing. And naturally, little to no chance for advancement. (Once radio got in, dispatch work was considered an available option for female officers.)[/quote']

"But I took them away from all that and now they work for me, my name is Charlie".

i realize this sounds out there but a pulp kung fu? panda

Tommy Poland is a rabid fan of the team of adventurers known as the Furious Five, five young heros trained in the secret fighting arts of the Mysterious East. When he stumbles into their headquarters looking for autographs, the fact that he somehow defeated the Five's high tech security system indicates to the Ancient, the mentor of the Five, that there is more to the very large and clumsy teenager than meets the eye...

Tommy Poland is a rabid fan of the team of adventurers known as the Furious Five' date=' five young heros trained in the secret fighting arts of the Mysterious East. When he stumbles into their headquarters looking for autographs, the fact that he somehow defeated the Five's high tech security system indicates to the Ancient, the mentor of the Five, that there is more to the the very large and clumsy teenager than meets the eye...[/quote']

repped, not alot but repped....

Pulp Monster Vs. Aliens / Mentalist and Psych

I saw Monsters Vs. Aliens the other days. Enjoyed it myself. Anyway, I think it could make an interesting pulp era adventure. For the aliens, simply replace it with the Marians. Not quite sure how to do the monsters though.

Meanwhile:

The Mentalist: After the death of his family at the hands of a serial killer, Patrick Jane, famed for playing a psychic investigator on his radio show (Which we could tie in by having it called The Mentalist :D), quits. He decides to join a California law enforcement agency and use his skills to help bring various killers to justice. Someday, he hopes one of them will be the man resposible for the death of his family.

Psych: Shawn Spencer lacks direction in his life. His father, a skilled and talented cop, has left him with an acute sense of observation and finely honed deductive reasoning, making him capable of solving radio mysteries before they are over. Shawn does not want to be a police officer. However, after helping to solve a case, Shawn finds himself having to come up with an excuse as to how, and claims to be psychic. Now he is helping solve cases for the police, but must keep them believing that it is with his psychic powers, or else he will be arrested or worse.

Welles's Martian Attack is a lynchpin for alien attacks now but I have to agree that the martians can replace Galaxor.

Monsters vs Aliens: The martians attack looking for a energy source and a new home to replace the barren wasteland of their homeworld. Colonel Patton is given the job to repel the menace with the help of some special forces like Count Basil, vegetarian vampire, Shaggy Rogers, reluctant werewolf, Dr. Cavor, mad scientist, and Kang, giant gorilla, and Mary Worth, who accidently absorbs the energy and becomes stronger the madder she gets.

CES

Welles's Martian Attack is a lynchpin for alien attacks now but I have to agree that the martians can replace Galaxor.

Monsters vs Aliens: The martians attack looking for a energy source and a new home to replace the barren wasteland of their homeworld. Colonel Patton

Woo. Actual historical reference

is given the job to repel the menace with the help of some special forces like

This gets interesting

Count Basil' date=' vegetarian vampire,[/quote']

I think this one broke something in my brain :eek:

Shaggy Rogers' date=' reluctant werewolf,[/quote']

For some reason, I'm picturing Shaggy from Scooby Doo just because of the name

Dr. Cavor' date=' mad scientist, [/quote']

Always a necessity, especially in pulp. Keep an eye on him though. May want to steal the alien tech.:sneaky:

and Kang' date=' giant gorilla, [/quote']

I guess this would be Kong's older brother or father?

and Mary Worth' date=' who accidently absorbs the energy and becomes stronger the madder she gets. CES[/quote']

Please don't tell me she turns green when that happens.

In seriousness, this seems like a pretty good way to have it all set up and work out well.