Pulparize It!

Blue

Re: Pulparize It!

Woo. Actual historical reference

This gets interesting

I think this one broke something in my brain :eek:

For some reason, I'm picturing Shaggy from Scooby Doo just because of the name

Always a necessity, especially in pulp. Keep an eye on him though. May want to steal the alien tech.:sneaky:

I guess this would be Kong's older brother or father?

Please don't tell me she turns green when that happens.

In seriousness, this seems like a pretty good way to have it all set up and work out well.

i think it is shaggy he DID turn into a werewolf in a scooby movie once

I saw Monsters Vs. Aliens the other days. Enjoyed it myself. Anyway, I think it could make an interesting pulp era adventure. For the aliens, simply replace it with the Marians. Not quite sure how to do the monsters though.

Meanwhile:

The Mentalist: After the death of his family at the hands of a serial killer, Patrick Jane, famed for playing a psychic investigator on his radio show (Which we could tie in by having it called The Mentalist :D), quits. He decides to join a California law enforcement agency and use his skills to help bring various killers to justice. Someday, he hopes one of them will be the man resposible for the death of his family.

Psych: Shawn Spencer lacks direction in his life. His father, a skilled and talented cop, has left him with an acute sense of observation and finely honed deductive reasoning, making him capable of solving radio mysteries before they are over. Shawn does not want to be a police officer. However, after helping to solve a case, Shawn finds himself having to come up with an excuse as to how, and claims to be psychic. Now he is helping solve cases for the police, but must keep them believing that it is with his psychic powers, or else he will be arrested or worse.

Welles's Martian Attack is a lynchpin for alien attacks now but I have to agree that the martians can replace Galaxor.

Monsters vs Aliens: The martians attack looking for a energy source and a new home to replace the barren wasteland of their homeworld. Colonel Patton is given the job to repel the menace with the help of some special forces like Count Basil, vegetarian vampire, Shaggy Rogers, reluctant werewolf, Dr. Cavor, mad scientist, and Kang, giant gorilla, and Mary Worth, who accidently absorbs the energy and becomes stronger the madder she gets.

CES

The funny thing here is that all of the monsters in Monsters vs. Aliens are based on 1950's Atomic Horror staples.

Ginormica is the 50ft Woman right down to the dress she first appears in.

The Missing Link is The Creature From The Black Lagoon.

Dr. Cockroach is Vincent Price's The Fly. They even made him look a little like Vincent Price in human form.

And so on...

So a pulp version would have to use more traditional monsters. You would have to go back to the monsters that were prevalent in the fiction of the 1930s. Unfortunately, Alan Mooore has already done that, so you end up just doing just what he did in the second LXG story. I don't thinkthat there were any new takes on monsters between the late 1800s and the 1930s.

The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service:

A poorly-motivated divinity student is helping search a national park for corpses after the long winter. He meets up with several other college students, all of whom are a little...strange. It's then revealed that the divinity student went into that field not so much because he's religious, as that he can talk to the dead. Moreover, each of the other students have a special skill: One's a dowser who can find corpses (but not water or precious metals), another is an apprentice embalmer, one has a puppet that claims to be an alien, and the last is a researcher and business major.

In helping the corpse they find to fulfill its last wish, the students come into a fair chunk of money. The business major suggests that they use the money to form their own company, which will specialize in "delivering" the needs of corpses.

For the pulp version, it would probably be best to switch the action to the US, and the genders of the characters would probably need to be switched around a bit. For example, the embalmer would have to be male in this version--they weren't letting women study the art back then. The business major might need to be switched too, although women weren't completely unknown as business owners back in the pulp days, it would be a little out there. And of course, instead of computer skills, the business major would be expert at written records and telephony.

But otherwise, the Black Heron Delivery Service (note: they leave the word "Corpse" off the company truck and the business cards) is a very usable campaign idea. Each of their "clients" has a story to tell, and if things are slow, the crippled ex-cop turned social worker they know can find them odd jobs. With the emphasis on "odd."

So a pulp version would have to use more traditional monsters. You would have to go back to the monsters that were prevalent in the fiction of the 1930s. Unfortunately, Alan Mooore has already done that, so you end up just doing just what he did in the second LXG story. I don't thinkthat there were any new takes on monsters between the late 1800s and the 1930s.

I know. When I went to write things down the only thing I could think of was the Universal monsters.

CES

I know. When I went to write things down the only thing I could think of was the Universal monsters.

CES

Oh, don't get me wrong. I was agreeing with your approach. It would have to be Dracula, The Wolfman, The Mummy, Frankenstein's Monster,The invisible Man and Mr. Hyde. Or some variation of that combo.

Pulptender

And so, as I was looking at my DVDs, it suddenly came to me. :cool:

The Pretender:king:: A young man, known only as Jarod, was kidnapped from his parents when he was a child. He was taken because of his genius IQ and ability to take on the personality and aspects of a person and say and do what the person could or should.

Believing his abilities were being used to help write the stories for various radio programs, Jarod finds out that what he is doing is actually being used in actual events. :nonp:

Jarod managed to escape, though how is not entirely known. Now he travels the country, trying to set right some problems that he can while trying to find his lost family.

The people who kidnapped him are not happy with his escape however. Jarod is now also on being hunted so that he can be recaptured and returned to continue his work.

(On a side note, you have to admit that the cramming skill is absolutely perfect for a character like this :thumbup:)

Oi Shinbo

The Daily News, one of the two top papers in Campaign City, is coming up on its 100th anniversary in a couple of years. As part of the festivities, the paper's owner decides they should have a series on "The Ultimate Menu." Basically, the best of the best food in America. (Or your campaign's country, translate to fit.)

The job is handed to two-fisted but lazy reporter Sam Montana, who prefers playing the ponies to actually working, but knows a whole lot about food. His assigned partner is plucky girl reporter Yvonne Cummings, who isn't much of a gourmet, but has get-up-and-go, and the social graces Sam lacks. At first, Sam doesn't seem to be into the project, but after a chance encounter with a total jerk who nearly ruins a restaurant's reputation over a slight mistake, Sam starts taking the job more seriously.

For the jerk is in fact Sam's estranged father Jubal Thornrose, an insanely wealthy and successful artist. Sam believes that Jubal drove Sam's mother, his then-wife, to suicide by his constant emotional abuse. Jubal, conversely, believes that Sam is an ungrateful punk, weak like his mother. After learning of Sam's current assignment, Jubal puts his endorsement behind the rival Daily Times newspaper, and its "Supreme Menu" series. Jubal is also the head of the Gourmet Club, a mysterious organization whose membership includes many of the country's wealthy and powerful (but only those who truly appreciate fine food.)

Sam and Yvonne travel the country looking for the finest food and drink suitable for their menu, dodging challenges by Jubal and his minions, and running into mysteries and difficulties that Sam must use his knowledge of cuisine to unravel. (Though a good punch helps sometimes too.)

It strikes me that Tropic Thunder could be turned into a pulp adventure. Maverick movie-maker takes off for the wilds of China, wanting to make some sort of historical epic on location. While setting up a huge battle scene (with a cast of thousands!), complete with rockets, smoke, explosions, spearmen, calvary charges and what not, the Japanese army shows up.

The end result can either be highly tragic, played for comedic value, or something in between.

Because I think it takes more than a mention of "radio" to do the trick:

The Pretender: Agent Lyle of the FBI tirelessly pursues a mysterious criminal mastermind with a chameleon-like ability to disguise himself in order to prey upon some of the richest men in the country even as he keeps running into wealthy and arrogant "Miss Parker" who is on the same trail, believing that The Pretender killed her father.

What neither of them realize at first is that Jarod's "victim's" are members of a plot to overthrow the government of the United States and it will be up to the three of them to save the nation from a coup d'etat.

It strikes me that Tropic Thunder could be turned into a pulp adventure. Cowboy movie-maker takes off for the wilds of China, wanting to make some sort of historical epic on location. While setting up some sort of battle scene (with a cast of thousands!), complete with rockets, smoke, explosions, spear and calvary and what not, the Japanese army shows up.

The end result can either be highly tragic, played for comedic value, or something in between.

Starring Al Jolson!:thumbup:

If you think that the mere mention of my saying Radio was all I would change, then I'm afraid you are mistaken.

Jarod would be kidnapped before or during World War I, growing up in isolation, where his skills would be tested and start to be used. While being told that what he was working on was to help create radio programs for civilian entertainment, it is not actually true.

While some of what Jarod works on does get used for such programs as Superman and the Shadow, more of his work is of a military or business application. Among his work would be working on strategies of attack for the allies, new weaponry, and trying to figure out the cause of the assassination as well as why.

Jarod is able to foretell the depression, giving the people who have kidnapped him the chance to sell their stock before it crashes and save their money.

During the depression, his abilities are used to try and come up with ways to help the economy recover. During a reading of numerous newspaper articles, he reads of Hitler in Germany and tries to warn of the pending reich. Although warned, no one does anything, believing that the actions of Germany starting a new war will help the U.S economy.

With some mysterious help, Jarod finally escapes, just in time for the bombing of Pearl Harbor. Blaming himself for part of the events of what led up to World War II and the deaths at the Harbor, Jarod now tries to set things right. Unknowingly, he accidentally left something behind. In his work area are forgotten notes and parts of a story where a villain attempts to create an "Atomic Bomb," which will eventually find their way to the U.S. Government and a scientist named Albert Einstein.

Meanwhile, Jarod is trying to find the family he lost all those years ago as well. He believes he's out there, he just doesn't know anything about them. It has been so long, he can't even remember their names. As he travels, he finds small bits of things in the world that he missed during his containment, which he finds quite intersting (If anyone knows any toys or such that came out in such time, all the better. I unfortunately do not)

it strikes me that tropic thunder could be turned into a pulp adventure. Maverick movie-maker takes off for the wilds of china, wanting to make some sort of historical epic on location. While setting up a huge battle scene (with a cast of thousands!), complete with rockets, smoke, explosions, spearmen, calvary charges and what not, the japanese army shows up.

good idea

Re: Pulptender

And so, as I was looking at my DVDs, it suddenly came to me. :cool:

The Pretender:king:: A young man, known only as Jarod, was kidnapped from his parents when he was a child. He was taken because of his genius IQ and ability to take on the personality and aspects of a person and say and do what the person could or should.

Believing his abilities were being used to help write the stories for various radio programs, Jarod finds out that what he is doing is actually being used in actual events. :nonp:

Jarod managed to escape, though how is not entirely known. Now he travels the country, trying to set right some problems that he can while trying to find his lost family.

The people who kidnapped him are not happy with his escape however. Jarod is now also on being hunted so that he can be recaptured and returned to continue his work.

(On a side note, you have to admit that the cramming skill is absolutely perfect for a character like this :thumbup:)

Interrestingly Jarod's abilities would be pretty tame in many pulp settings. Sitting around the pulp hero club tipping a few "You can learn any skill in just a few days?, We can all do that; What else do ya got?"

Frankenstein Has Risen from the Grave: after escaping from the electric chair, the notorious scientist Doctor Victor Frankenstein seeks a way to use his skills to atone for the mistakes he has made in creating and animating his Monster. But sinister forces conspire to threaten him with exposure and force him to use his talents for evil. Can Dr. Frankenstein overcome his reputations and inclinations and defeat these dark powers, or will he once again be forced to walk the path to self-destruction?

Frankenstein Has Risen from the Grave: after escaping from the electric chair' date=' the notorious scientist Doctor Victor Frankenstein seeks a way to use his skills to atone for the mistakes he has made in creating and animating his Monster. But sinister forces conspire to threaten him with exposure and force him to use his talents for evil. Can Dr. Frankenstein overcome his reputations and inclinations and defeat these dark powers, or will he once again be forced to walk the path to self-destruction?[/quote']

have some rep

Frankenstein Has Risen from the Grave: after escaping from the electric chair' date=' the notorious scientist Doctor Victor Frankenstein seeks a way to use his skills to atone for the mistakes he has made in creating and animating his Monster. But sinister forces conspire to threaten him with exposure and force him to use his talents for evil. Can Dr. Frankenstein overcome his reputations and inclinations and defeat these dark powers, or will he once again be forced to walk the path to self-destruction?[/quote']

So reeped....

• 3 weeks later...

. Unfortunately' date=' Alan Mooore has already done that, so you end up just doing just what he did in the second LXG story. I don't thinkthat there were any new takes on monsters between the late 1800s and the 1930s.[/quote']

Didn't like his version and loved the movie.

Hmm he didn't have a frankensteinian character....

And IIRC alot of the ones written did predate the 30's