I need a gun.

Dust Raven

Re: I need a gun.

Any of the Webley pistols are a good bet for revolvers' date=' as is the Enfield No. 2. For revolvers, maybe the Webley & Scott ones. You can find the stats for all of 'em on PH 302-03. ;)[/quote']

Thank's Steve. Unfortunately, I don't have PH (and neither do anyone in the game I'm in. The GM is running it right out of the toolkit).

Thank's Steve. Unfortunately' date=' I don't have PH (and neither do anyone in the game I'm in. The GM is running it right out of the toolkit).[/quote']

Here:

Webley No. 1 Revolver: RKA 1d6+1, +1 Increased STUN Multiple (+1/4); OAF (-1), 4 Clips of 6 Shots (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4), Cost: 10 points.

Thank's Steve. Unfortunately' date=' I don't have PH (and neither do anyone in the game I'm in. The GM is running it right out of the toolkit).[/quote']

DR, you and your GM might get some benefit from Dany St. Pierre's pulp HERO website. It details a ton of period firearms and vehicles of various types, with game stats, background/history, and illustrations. It was written for Fourth Edition HERO, but for firearms and vehicles there's no practical difference from Fifth. And from what I've seen the stats are pretty close to comparable entries in Pulp HERO.

The website also includes a variety of character Package Deals and writeups for a few pulp-era characters. These are a little more different from Fifth, but still easily adaptable and good source material.

There are several other good HERO pulp websites that I could direct you guys to, if you'd be interested in more resources or inspiration. :)

(Not that I'm trying to steal sales from Hero Games, but PH is rather intimidating to the budget-conscious.) :o

There was a French pistol designed at the end of the 19th century (don't recall the manufacturer -- possibly LeMat?) that I've always thought would be the ideal pulp adventurer's sidearm. It was an under-and-over double barrelled revolver, the lower barrel chambering a single 10-guage shotgun shell and the upper firing big fat soft lead slugs from the revolving chambers (7 shots, if I recall correctly).

It was probably an awful heavy ungainly thing to use in real life, but it looked pretty cool, and in game-world that shotgun shell comes in awful handy when you're fighting off masses of cultists in some twisty-turny catacombs :)

Edit: It was LaMat, not LeMat, and the revolver held 9 11mm rounds over one shotgun cartridge. There's a picture of it here

Broomhandled Mauser (fullscale production in 1897, the later M32 had some significant enhancements, but you said 20's). The round is underpowered, but what a silhouette! If it is good enough to murder a Tsar, it is good enough for me. Imagine, if it had a sight on the top, a slightly heavier barrel and a few other doo-dads on it. It would make a great sci fi gun too. :straight:

I also like the Webleys, I love break open revolvers just for the visual. A U.S. Break open would be the Scofield/S&W American 44

Colt M1911 was developed in 1911 (of course) and would have been available to a man of means. It was known as a "man-stopper".

There was a French pistol designed at the end of the 19th century (don't recall the manufacturer -- possibly LeMat?) that I've always thought would be the ideal pulp adventurer's sidearm. It was an under-and-over double barrelled revolver, the lower barrel chambering a single 10-guage shotgun shell and the upper firing big fat soft lead slugs from the revolving chambers (7 shots, if I recall correctly).

It was probably an awful heavy ungainly thing to use in real life, but it looked pretty cool, and in game-world that shotgun shell comes in awful handy when you're fighting off masses of cultists in some twisty-turny catacombs :)

Edit: It was LaMat, not LeMat, and the revolver held 9 11mm rounds over one shotgun cartridge. There's a picture of it here

The Lamat was one of my favorite pistols for the 1850-1870 era. The problem is that it was not a cartridge firearm. It MIGHT be possible to convert it...

I also like the .577 manstopper pistol, iirc it was the Whyte Trantor patent.

If you wanted to go really wierd, check out the Mars pistols.

The Lamat was one of my favorite pistols for the 1850-1870 era. The problem is that it was not a cartridge firearm. It MIGHT be possible to convert it...

Beat me to it. It was designed by Dr. Jean Alexandre Francois LeMat of New Orleans for the C.S.A. (though it was manufactured in England and France as well). It had a nine shot cylinder of .44 or .42 cal. ball rounds (depending on the source). The shotgun barrel was approx .63 cal (16 or 20 gauge are also mentioned depending on source). It was a black powder percussion pistol. Due to size and weight I’d say it was more of a horse pistol than a pistol. I have held a .44 cal reproduction model and it is a weighty firearm. I can see why the items I have read refer to it as a saddle pistol and not one to be carried as a sidearm.

Okay, after looking over everything, I've gone with a Webley model (the Webley-Fosbery Automatic) but I'm missing one thing. The price. How much did these revolvers cost in 1923?

I'm not really certain if it's at all important, my character is a semi-wealthy aristocrat and I'm sure he can afford the gun (which I assume he purchased prior to 1920 anyway), but I like to be thorough.

Okay, after looking over everything, I've gone with a Webley model (the Webley-Fosbery Automatic) but I'm missing one thing. The price. How much did these revolvers cost in 1923?

I'm not really certain if it's at all important, my character is a semi-wealthy aristocrat and I'm sure he can afford the gun (which I assume he purchased prior to 1920 anyway), but I like to be thorough.

Based on prices in Call of Cthulhu, 20-30 dollars.

Okay on the Le Mat "Grapeshot Revolver". It was originally invented by a New Orleans Dentist and contained 9 rounds in the chamber and an 18 bore shotgun barrel. After the American Civil War "pinfire" and centrefire versions were made. Original calibre was .42 but I have seen pictures of a .45 version with a 12 gauge shotgun barrel underneath !

Okay on the Le Mat "Grapeshot Revolver". It was originally invented by a New Orleans Dentist and contained 9 rounds in the chamber and an 18 bore shotgun barrel. After the American Civil War "pinfire" and centrefire versions were made. Original calibre was .42 but I have seen pictures of a .45 version with a 12 gauge shotgun barrel underneath !

I've never seen any reference to cartridge versions, any links or books?

I've never seen any reference to cartridge versions' date=' any links or books?[/quote'] I'm not good with links but "The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Firearms" by Ian V Hogg states on Page 216 in its entry on Le Mat "... as the percussion era ended he obtained patents covering the application of his idea to breech loading metallic cartridge pistols. He continued to make improvements in the design until his death(1883), though the revolver seems to have gone out of fashion in the late 1870's". My "Guns of The Wild West" gives the date of Le Mat's patent for a cartridge version of his revolver as 1869, and says that most of the weapons were made in France and Belgium. This probably explains the unusual (to Americans) calibre of .42 for the percussion version and 11mm (which is pretty close to .42 I think) for both pinfire and centrefire versions. 11mm was a standard French military calibre in the "black powder" era !

I'm not good with links but "The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Firearms" by Ian V Hogg states on Page 216 in its entry on Le Mat "... as the percussion era ended he obtained patents covering the application of his idea to breech loading metallic cartridge pistols. He continued to make improvements in the design until his death(1883)' date=' though the revolver seems to have gone out of fashion in the late 1870's". My "Guns of The Wild West" gives the date of Le Mat's patent for a cartridge version of his revolver as 1869, and says that most of the weapons were made in France and Belgium. This probably explains the unusual (to Americans) calibre of .42 for the percussion version and 11mm (which is pretty close to .42 I think) for both pinfire and centrefire versions. 11mm was a standard French military calibre in the "black powder" era ![/quote']

Damn, I want one!!!!

:eg::D

I have an old (1987) copy of "Guns Illustrated' that says that reproduction LeMats were being made at that time in .44/.65 by "Navy Arms" . Their address is given in the back as 689 Bergen Blvd Ridgefield NJ 07657. The book is old so I have no idea whether the company still exists or is still manufacturing reproduction Le Mat revolvers.