Wunderwaffen!!! - Secret German Warmachines of WW 2

Curufea

Re: Wunderwaffen!!! - Secret German Warmachines of WW 2

Let me check tonight. I have to see what survived that OS reinstall I was telling you about. Oh' date=' do you have our original list? I can only remember two from my list and I know the original list is gone. I had the Char Bis 1 and the T-28, but there were two more....[/quote']

Germany -- Maus, AV-7

Russia -- T-35, Tsar

France -- Char Bis 1

England -- Mark V (?) (1st WWI tank)

Italy -- da Vinchi's "tank"

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For anyone wondering what Proditor and I are talking about -- we are working on an article describing some great tanks from across the Pulp-era. We will have two of the first tanks, some crazy designs from between the wars, and some monster designs from the end of WWII.

Some of them are perfect for your steampunk and weird science NPCs.

Didn't gustavus adolphus employ some sort of armored wagon in warfare' date=' too?[/quote']

not sure about ole' G.A., but I do know that the woodcuts from Henry VIII's invasion of Calais feature a number of Hanks pet warmachines, including armored war wagons with the draft horses totally enclosed on the ground floor.

Edit: Was looking for the woodcuts in question, and relized a "my bad" moment...

It was from his campaign FROM Calais, beseiging Boulogne

not sure about ole' G.A., but I do know that the woodcuts from Henry VIII's invasion of Calais feature a number of Hanks pet warmachines, including armored war wagons with the draft horses totally enclosed on the ground floor.

Edit: Was looking for the woodcuts in question, and relized a "my bad" moment...

It was from his campaign FROM Calais, beseiging Boulogne

Anyone have any pictures of this stuff?

Anyone have any pictures of this stuff?

I've been looking but no joy yet.

My google fu is weak.

They were in a set of woodcuts done of the English forces. I used to have an Osprey book that had the pics in them... Armies of Henry VIII, IIRC.

They initally came to my attention when I was researching Irish troops, because he had 500 woodkerne skirmishers raised as levies from the Pale, but once I got looking I saw some of the neat stuff he also fielded....including the war wagons and his "shrymps" which no-one is really quite certain what they were, but appear to edumcated eyes to be a dual breechloading antipersonell cannon mounted on a wheelbarrow like carriage with a sloped armored shell to protecty the gunner, complete with a bladed "fin tail" type thing, probably used as a last ditch deterrent to cavalry charges.

Henry was all about cutting edge weaponry... He commisioned steel sheilds for his personal guard that included a built in breechloading wheellock pistol.

You may be right - I am going from memory' date=' I don't have my source handy - it certainly sounds right. The weapon's fit Susano cites rings a bell, too.[/quote']

iirc one of the prototypes might have had a 175mm and 75mm.

Guest Admiral C

I so wish I had a scanner right now. I have a photograph of an AV-7 from a land warfare book.

Not much mention of high end German submarines yet but the most unusual one I have on hand is the U-791 which used a system called the V80 that concentrated hydrogen peroxide then heated to produce oxygen and high pressure steam. On it's first test run (of the V80) in 1940 it reached a top speed of 28 knots submerged. The sub itself lists 19 knots.

I can't remember if it was the U-791 or the U-2511 that my boss said was the final submarine you got in Silent Hunter 2 where your last mission was to go to Argentina with papers, gold, and a mysterious cylinder with secret frozen contents.

As a side not I believe it was the I-2501 that Neil Stephenson used in his WW2 scenes in Cryptonomicon even though one was built and never launched. It was fitted with an electric creeper engine that could move silently at 5 knots.

Oh, and one more link - all the imaginary German aircaft you can shake a stick at, plus some nice pictures of real experimental ones.

http://www.luft46.com/luftart.html

All of this makes me feel like running an alternate WW2 game now, but I'm off to kill some orcs instead. Have a nice weekend, y'all.

cheers, Mark

I think if one of the countries had the wherewithal to actually produce some of those designs, they probably would have been doing well enough in the war to not need such things:)

Ramjet fighters! In WW2! And I remember seeing some History Channel show about plans for a suborbital bomber capable of delivering a nuke or dirty bomb halfway around the world...

Ramjet fighters! In WW2! And I remember seeing some History Channel show about plans for a suborbital bomber capable of delivering a nuke or dirty bomb halfway around the world...

That too was a German project for an intended strike on NYC, but sadly I have forgotten the bomber's name. The Silver Eagle or something similar?

Some of these won't apply, some will. My cache of pics of interesting vehicles.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/champsstuff/index.html

Air, Naval and Ground are all up, and there are some Pulp or WW2 pics on each page. Some are really wacky though, like the Photomanip I did on the IS-3 Stalin tank. Anyway, enjoy.

Some of these won't apply, some will. My cache of pics of interesting vehicles.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/champsstuff/index.html

Air, Naval and Ground are all up, and there are some Pulp or WW2 pics on each page. Some are really wacky though, like the Photomanip I did on the IS-3 Stalin tank. Anyway, enjoy.

I love that nuclear powered lenticular re-entry vehicle.

Did I post the links I found a long time ago to the Pyewackett missile that was designed to be carried by the B-70? It was pretty cool, imo.

• 1 month later...

I've noticed a problem in the admin system regarding plugins. One of the PHP commands (implode) is not working correctly, which I presume to mean that because my site is running PHP5, the command is used differently.

Ergo, I am going to install a newer version of the wiki engine.

This should be a seamless process that will only take an hour or so to do.

However, this being computers - just to make sure I'm going to back up all the pages (they're stored as text files).

I'll let you know when it has been upgraded.

Now done. Part of the upgrade includes a User Manager, so in future - rather than spamming these boards with multiple cross posts to every mention of the Hero Wiki in the hope of getting the eye of everyone who uses it, I will just email all the registered users.

So - to all the contributers to this online resource, please register and use a valid email. Just so I can let you know when things change or possible problems.

Feel free to email me as well with problems and suggestions curufea@yahoo.com is my most often frequented address.