SpaceCraft Miniatures...

Kraven Kor

Re: SpaceCraft Miniatures...

I bought a few Ork ships (a terror ship and a pack of ravagers). They work okay. They look very different from the Cold Navy ships, but I figure they'd work as run-down older models used by pirates. So I'm trying to give them a well-worn look when I paint them.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I want some that are all high tech looking, but mostly I want blocky and "gritty" looks for my ships.

I don't want to use Star Wars, Star Trek, B5, or any major IP property for my minis. Just because then my game session will degenerate into a discussion of that property lol.

Yeah, I want some that are all high tech looking, but mostly I want blocky and "gritty" looks for my ships.

I don't want to use Star Wars, Star Trek, B5, or any major IP property for my minis. Just because then my game session will degenerate into a discussion of that property lol.

I was looking for "non genre" ships for the same reason. That is why i plan on getting some of the Cold Navy ships. But go to the AoG link above and look at their Turning Point ships. They are actually pretty generic now that the game itself never took off. The B5 Earth force FA auxilaries, like some destroyers or corvettes are also blocky/generic looking. The FA scale that is.

The Silent Death mini's are well made and really do look good. But they are all fighters. I like SHIPs, not fighters. And it is hard to find ship mini's that are "generic" and not contaminated by the mistake of the "hey if we overload the mini with tons of useless bumps and knobby things, people will mistake it as detail and they will look really cool" syndrome. Two of the existing Cold Navy lines are good (though I wish they didn't have the obvious turrets) and the AoG Turning Point mini's are too.

Just my opinion of course.

These aren't really solid minis' date=' but if you go here and download the Starship Factory font, you can create lots of customized counters. It's a fun little toy if nothing else.

I cannot seem to get them to be available in word. I tried both the .ttf and .pfm fonts, unzipped them to my C:\Windows\Fonts directory, but it is not listed as an available font in Word. I'm not finding anywhere that explains what I am doing wrong. I'm not finding fonts stored anywhere else, either.

Any ideas?

I agree on the Silent Death fighters... take a look at their Warhound minatures, they are pretty nice and are a lot bigger than the fighter designs

depending on your chosen scale, the SD ships might not work out that badly if you mix and match with ships from other lines/genres

I cannot seem to get them to be available in word. I tried both the .ttf and .pfm fonts, unzipped them to my C:\Windows\Fonts directory, but it is not listed as an available font in Word. I'm not finding anywhere that explains what I am doing wrong. I'm not finding fonts stored anywhere else, either.

Any ideas?

The full name is Greywolf Starship Factory #1, or something like that. Have you looked in the Gs? I can get it to work in WordPad just fine.

Well, if you want counters-

Black background: http://www.paperworlds.com/store_folder/2D_Paper_Gaming_Accessories/Counters/counters.jpg

White background: http://www.paperworlds.com/store_folder/2D_Paper_Gaming_Accessories/Counters/counters2.jpg

Farscape ships about 2k by 2k pixels in size 600k files I rendered in Lightwave - I believe I made them for 300DPI.

I’ve gotten a lot of mileage out of ICE’s Silent Death minis from the 90’s. I’m sure they can be found here and there for a modest investment.

Personally, most of my games that require mapped ship combat is Star Wars Hero, for which we use SW Micro Machines.