Review of Asian Bestiary Volume One

OddHat

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Review of Asian Bestiary Volume One

That said, I could have a lot of fun doing similar books for other regions... while a bestiary of North American (specifically, tall-tales America) would be a blast, and in the case of the tall-tales, a riot to read about and write up.

I'd also love to do a series of character sheets for American folk heroes -- Paul Bunyan, Peco Bill, and so on.

And I'd love to read it.

But may Heaven help you if you forget Joe Magarac. For Pennsylvanians Joe Magarac is the :king:

Is that Paul's bunyans like calaces on you feet?

Why, Paul didn't just have some calluses, son! His calluses were so thick, that one day when he visited his friend Joe Magarac, he decided to warm his toes, ao he went walking through molten steel in Pittsburgh. The steel stuck to his feet, and while it couldn't burn him none through those calluses of his, it got mighty slippery to walk on, so Paul just made a mighty couple of kicks and launched that hunk of misshapen metal all the way to Arizona. And when it fell, it hit so hard it made what some folks call 'Meteor Crater'. 'Course, scientists don't believe any of that, but folks as that know Paul, know better.

The Asian Bestiaries cover SE Asia....

Burma/Myanmar, Cambodia, China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Mongolia, Philippines, Thailand, Tibet, Vietnam

Is the Tibetan stuff in volume one or volume two? Is there Nepali, Bhutanese, Kashmiri and other Himalayan/Karakoram/Pamir stuff with it? Oh, and Sinkiang?

Is the Tibetan stuff in volume one or volume two? Is there Nepali' date=' Bhutanese, Kashmiri and other Himalayan/Karakoram/Pamir stuff with it? Oh, and Sinkiang?[/quote']

Tibet is in Volume II. Nepal and Bhutan do not have separate entries, although Tibet covers them to some extent. Kashmir would fall under India, as would (I presume) Himalayan/Karakoram/Pamir & Sinkiang. I realize that this means some stuff ends up lumped under a common header, but I did the best I could with the sources I had.

Tibet is in Volume II. Nepal and Bhutan do not have separate entries' date=' although Tibet covers them to some extent. Kashmir would fall under India, as would (I presume) Himalayan/Karakoram/Pamir & Sinkiang. I realize that this means some stuff ends up lumped under a common header, but I did the best I could with the sources I had.[/quote']

BTW, Sinkiang is north of Tibet, so it and the Pamir Mountains (and the Karkoram Mountains to some extent) are Central Asia, not East, Southeast, or South. Just for your information. :)

BTW' date=' Sinkiang is north of Tibet, so it and the Pamir Mountains (and the Karkoram Mountains to some extent) are Central Asia, not East, Southeast, or South. Just for your information. :)[/quote']

Sinkiang would fall under China (Volume 1).

As for the others? I don't know. That might start getting into the "stans" (Pakistan, Afghanistan, and so on), which were areas outside of the region I selected when discussing this project with Steve.

Sinkiang would fall under China (Volume 1).

As for the others? I don't know. That might start getting into the "stans" (Pakistan, Afghanistan, and so on), which were areas outside of the region I selected when discussing this project with Steve.

Oh, no problem. Just thought I'd give a little FYI re. geography. :)

And I've definitely got to get both Asian Bestiaries. I'm waiting for both to be available.

Say, anyone know if there's going to be a "bundle" of the two of them?

J got me a copy; he made me promise him a review. I'll have to sit down and re-read the book, but... well, I'm not gonna say a thing right now.

But the China entry will be handy once I start fleshing out the hinterlands of the Empire in Eight Sages. Can't wait for Vol. 2 soon, I wanna read the Japan entry.

J got me a copy; he made me promise him a review. I'll have to sit down and re-read the book, but... well, I'm not gonna say a thing right now.

But the China entry will be handy once I start fleshing out the hinterlands of the Empire in Eight Sages. Can't wait for Vol. 2 soon, I wanna read the Japan entry.

I'm guessing this is a good thing?

:D

Oh, it is... it is... especially when it's a present from him. Totally unexpected. :D

Like I said, I'm not saying a thing--yet. I don't want to leak anything from the review itself, but I'm already bouncing with the prospect.

Are you waiting for Volume 2 to do the full review? And will it be posted here?

Kashmir would fall under India' date=' as would (I presume) Himalayan/Karakoram/Pamir & Sinkiang. I realize that this means some stuff ends up lumped under a common header, but I did the best I could with the sources I had.[/quote']

I forgot to ask :doi: is India in volume one or volume two, too? (Volume tutu? :winkgrin:)

I forgot to ask :doi: is India in volume one or volume two' date=' too?[/quote']

Volume I, along with China, Indonesia, Cmaboida, Thiland, Vietnam, and Monglia.

Volume II has Japan, Tibet, the Philippines, Burma/Myanmar, Korea, and Malaysia.

I would expect Sinkiang (or Xinjiang) to be more similar to the -stans as far as the local monsters go. Maybe some Han Chinese type beasties leaking in, but mostly Central Asian steppe-things.

Oh, and by the way, I have decent internet access once again, so expect a fair amount of thread necromancy over the next few days.

Okay in my grubby little hand today was delivered Asian Bestiary One. 1st the Pros.

1. Well Researched. It is obvious Mike spent a whole lot of time digging for facts.

2. Well Organized. It is easy to find a creature based on country. Though a table on Enviroment my be cool too.

3. Highly Informative. Already I am dreaming up villains even hero inspired ideas based on the things in this book.

4. Ridley's Picture of a Churel. This picture grabs my attention.

Now the Cons.

1. Requiring the buyer to have more then FREd. Yes I know saying to apply this set of powers to a creature in MM&M or the Bestiary saves time and space but it keeps the books from being a stand alone product with FREd. This is a minor complaint for me (especially since I own the books being referenced) but may not be to someone who don't have those books.

So far that is it. If I come across anymore Pros or Cons, I will append (hopefully the Pros keep leading over the Cons)...