The original 1934 Superman Strip

OddHat

Re: The original 1934 Superman Strip

Maybe it's just nostalgia' date=' but I still get a kick out of this.[/quote']Great stuff, OH. Thanks for posting that. I'm really tempted to buy the bound books with these strips. :)

Just out of curiosity, did you use these strips for your Wold Newton build of Superman? They seem to give pretty good data on his early abilities. Bouncing bullets off his chest, leaping over 20-story buildings or up to 1/8 mile (660 feet = 100.6 game inches), outrunning an express train (probably about 80 - 90 MPH, maybe a bit less, based on how fast modern Amtrak trains go on better tracks). He already had super hearing and telescopic vision, although I disn't see evidence of X-Ray vision yet.

Just out of curiosity, did you use these strips for your Wold Newton build of Superman? They seem to give pretty good data on his early abilities. Bouncing bullets off his chest, leaping over 20-story buildings or up to 1/8 mile (660 feet = 100.6 game inches), outrunning an express train (probably about 80 - 90 MPH, maybe a bit less, based on how fast modern Amtrak trains go on better tracks). He already had super hearing and telescopic vision, although I disn't see evidence of X-Ray vision yet.

Yup. My 1927 Superman (already posted) is built with Hugo Danner as a base; this 1934 version adds some enhanced senses and speed. He gains X-Ray vision and true flight around 1940 (I'll have to check).

These stories are very simple, but there's still an appeal to them. The connection to Pulp style storytelling really shows through.

outrunning an express train (probably about 80 - 90 MPH' date=' maybe a bit less, based on how fast modern Amtrak trains go on better tracks). [/quote']

The record for a steam engine was 126 mph. It was established in the UK in 1938, during a brake test.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNER_Class_A4_4468_Mallard

The 80-90 mph figure is OK, but my early Superman homages are based on the 126 number.

Incidentally, I've got the bound volumes of the daily strips. They're a good read. The real Golden Age. :thumbup:

Not meaning to hijack the thread but, as we are talking about the early "Superman", I thought that I would recommend a book to the people here. "Men Of Tomorrow" by Gerard Jones subtitled "Geeks, Gangsters and the Birth of the Comic Book" (William Heinemann, 2004). About the early days of super hero comics and in particular about the way that Siegel and Schuster were treated (or mistreated !)

Here it is.

Maybe it's just nostalgia, but I still get a kick out of this.

It's fun to re-read this type of stuff. There is a modern perception of Golden Age art being primative. These strips do a pretty good job of showing that Joe Shuster was actually a very good illustrator. A lot of his later work was rushed and looked it - but when he had the time he could do great stuff.

From another thread, what if Jor El and Lara had made the trip:

Road to Earth, Day One:

Lara: “What do you mean there’s no bathroom!?!”

Jor-El: “It’s the Silver Age! We don’t need bathrooms!”

Lara: “What!?!”

Day Three:

Jor-El: “Strange…radiation…feeling…such…pain…”

Lara: “Just use the specimen bags.”

Day Two Hundred and Seventy Three:

Jor-El: “I spy with my little eye…”

Lara: “I should never have married you.”

Day four hundred and sixty five:

Lara: “A planet! A living world! We’re saved!”

Jor-El: “As my calculations predicted! And they said I was mad! Mad!”

Lara: “Where are the landing controls?!?”

Jor-El: “No need for any of that. Yellow Sun radiation has made us invulnerable, and the ship as well!”

Lara: “MY BAYBY!”

(Crash)

Martha Kent: “John, what was that?”

John Kent: “What was what?”

(Blast wave hits. Debris blots out the sun. The new ice age has begun.)

Phantom Zone:

Zod: “Ha Ha!”

It's cool seeing some of the original stuff, makes it interesting to see how the character has evolved over the years.

As a side note, seeing how Supes was trying to get info from that guy made me think of that web site with the old covers of the comic showing Superman being a dick.

It's cool seeing some of the original stuff' date=' makes it interesting to see how the character has evolved over the years.[/quote']

The most relevant part of it is that the original version of the character is actually playable! :thumbup:

As a side note, seeing how Supes was trying to get info from that guy made me think of that web site with the old covers of the comic showing Superman being a dick.

I love that site.

What if Jor-El was wrong?

Lara: "Dear, the earthquake have stopped."

Jor-El: "Impossible, my calculations! The counsel couldn't be right!"

Lara: "The ENTIRE counsel said you were wrong, and you just sent our baby into space?!?"

Jor-El: "But, but the earthqaukes."

Lara: "There aren't any earthquakes NOW. Look, it's peaceful and calm. Our planet certainly isn't break up into fragments!"

Jor-El: "But... I was wrong?"