Concepts you wish your players would play

Hermit

Re: Concepts you wish your players would play

I had a problem with this kind of thing when I was designing my character for the This Mutant Life game. Basically, to get the powers I wanted, I had to skimp on skills. But, unfortunately, my character was supposed to be a veteran...

Ultimately, I've decided to build the character with the powers I want him to have, and patch the deficiencies in his Skills and Perks with experience. If anyone asks, "he always had this stuff, but it never came up".

Patching his powers would have been a lot more difficult.

Although, of course, he really could use an attack that doesn't do quite so much BODY to normals...

Personally, I prefer the older character to the snot-nosed punk.

The biggest difficulty with actually building such characters, as I noted above, is that they have to have "complete" powersets as well as all their skills and stuff. That is, while the youngster can be defined as still exploring aspects of their powers, the older character is likely to be closer to being as powerful as they are going to get.

That's a further limitation on how powerful they can be. If they are flexible in how they can use their powers, they lose raw power. If they maintain raw power, they lose flexibility.

They can, of course, partly offset things by having fairly narrow powersets to begin with. If they don't have much more than attack, defence and movement powers they can spend the points other characters might put into "non-essential" powers on buying more skills.

Or they can play someone like Hourman or Starman. :hush::thumbup:

I usually have a problem spending too much on stats, personally.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeaaaaarrrss ago' date=' back with 2nd or 3rd ed Champs, I was in a game along with another player, who was playing "Caliber". Caliber had all of the various stock weapons at the time and carried them around. Things like the 7d6 Light Autocannon, 5d6 Carbine, etc. All normal damage at the time (though there were KA options, but he had the normal damage versions). We're fighting a batch of agents, and we go on so long he goes through ALL the weapons, running them all out of ammo. Sensing victory, the agents close up with him...and he proceeds to beat the snot out of them with his [b']65 Strength.[/b] :lol: I was laughing, my character was flabbergasted, Caliber got a re-write. :D

He must have needed a bunch of STR to carry all those guns around. ;)

Gotta ask a question 'cuz it recently came up...

Have any GMs asked a player to build and play a certain archetype of character concept in their game because they think it would fit nicely in their world?

A GM is hoping to start up a game soonish and I'm the late comer... some of my ideas are stepping near other players ideas, but not outright on to of so there hasn't been much of a problem.. During a msg exchange the GM said he'd wished someone might think to play a Mystic since he'd just got done reading Mystic World and got some ideas...

Well I said "Sure" and will go with it..

How many GMs have asked players for a certain archetype or character type in their game and gotten a positive response from it?

The potential problem I see with having only one team mystic, is that in other-dimensional adventures (which is a big part of Mystic World) you'd be relied upon to provide a way home. That level of Extra-D movement is expensive and a stop power so technically you shouldn't put it in a power framework. On the other hand, you'd have the problem of being under-used, becoming an energy projecter with a mystic slant. That is what is happening to my own supermage. I want to focus his attention more on magic, but the GM has been slow to come around.

You have to be careful about stepping on the other players ideas, but your own has to be workable in a campaign. Since you're going with the mystic idea, I suggest a defender archtype. Someone who stays on Earth most of the time and defends against extra-dimensional beings. Any dimensional travel would most likely be local (Babylon, Fairie, etc). Because if you make a character who wants to explore the outer planes, pass the veil, etc it would be hard on the GM and the non-magical characters.

Have any GMs asked a player to build and play a certain archetype of character concept in their game because they think it would fit nicely in their world?

A GM is hoping to start up a game soonish and I'm the late comer... some of my ideas are stepping near other players ideas, but not outright on to of so there hasn't been much of a problem.. During a msg exchange the GM said he'd wished someone might think to play a Mystic since he'd just got done reading Mystic World and got some ideas...

Well I said "Sure" and will go with it..

How many GMs have asked players for a certain archetype or character type in their game and gotten a positive response from it?

I don't recall ever asking a player to play something in particular. If they're having trouble coming up with an idea, I'll make suggestions, and I'm fine with saying "no" to ideas until they hit upon one I can live with.

The potential problem I see with having only one team mystic, is that in other-dimensional adventures (which is a big part of Mystic World) you'd be relied upon to provide a way home. That level of Extra-D movement is expensive and a stop power so technically you shouldn't put it in a power framework. On the other hand, you'd have the problem of being under-used, becoming an energy projecter with a mystic slant. That is what is happening to my own supermage. I want to focus his attention more on magic, but the GM has been slow to come around.

You have to be careful about stepping on the other players ideas, but your own has to be workable in a campaign. Since you're going with the mystic idea, I suggest a defender archtype. Someone who stays on Earth most of the time and defends against extra-dimensional beings. Any dimensional travel would most likely be local (Babylon, Fairie, etc). Because if you make a character who wants to explore the outer planes, pass the veil, etc it would be hard on the GM and the non-magical characters.

We'll see where I end up... I have ideas percolating but nothing solid. I will need to pick up Mysic World, Ultimate Mysitc and possibly Demon.

It's a reason to expand my Hero library... My motives aren't completely altruistic you know. Part of it is "I can buy more books!!" part of it is "I've never tried this before, new territory!" and part of it is "Hey GM said he had ideas, it was a comment in passing... I'll bite."

Besides... I doubt it will be a Mystic focused campaign, so each player will have scenarios where they shine and each will have scenarios where they are on support for the one in the spotlight. Sure sometimes I might just be relegated to "blast that" and sometimes I'll be the lynchpin. I'd hope the same for each player in the group.

I don't recall ever asking a player to play something in particular. If they're having trouble coming up with an idea' date=' I'll make suggestions, and I'm fine with saying "no" to ideas until they hit upon one I can live with.[/quote']

Techincally I wasn't asked either... Maybe as an offhand "Gee I wish someone would play this type.." and getting a response of "Oh hey, I'll go for that..."

I haven't asked any players to play a certain archetype, but I have stated which ones I'm open to and not open to. For example, in my MC campaign, I'm taking one application at a time. I'll tell the person applying [paraphrasing] "(1) No archer, (2) no martial artist, no mentalist and (3) no flame-powered energy blaster, no bird or Egyptian theme." And then tell them I'm opened to a brick, speedster, metamorph or power armored theme (sometimes a mystic, but if done more like Witchcraft/Talisman as opposed to Takofanes build).

If a GM asked me to play a certain type, I'd probably be very up to it. In FtF games (which I did for 5+ years) I generally played a martial artist or a weapons master. I had only two bricks (at 250 points) and an EB that I played for a little while, but not longer than a year. With HeroCentral, I've been able to expand on the types of characters I've played.

Heck, with my Ravenswood game, I was able to NPC Dr. Silverback for a little while. It's got me thinking about various gorilla themed characters I've been itching to play Dr. Silverback himself (but he's 610 points - not a great chance of being allowed that!), Gorilla Grond: a 4-armed gorilla with exceptional strength (not really Grond's 90, but maybe 50) and dexterity. Grape Ape (a flying gorilla who wears a purple cape) and even an updated version of Spider Monkey (from BBB, a small monkey with mental powers).

To sum up an answer for your question, no, I haven't, but as a player, I'd be willing to as long as the type requested wasn't something I couldn't stand.

... On the other hand' date=' you'd have the problem of being under-used, becoming an energy projecter with a mystic slant. That is what is happening to my own supermage. I want to focus his attention more on magic, but the GM has been slow to come around.[/quote']

That is curious; my own campaign essentially began as a Mystic Masters type, so there's no shortage of supermages -- for me, it's differentiating them that's the problem.

However, I think you should talk to your GM if you're expected to be the "transport" for x-tra-D adventures. In many cases, GMs will allow PCs to pool points to purchase a team base or vehicle, for example. I'd suggest that he allow you to do the same for some means of extradimensional movement. I allow PCs in my game to purchase Equipment (= "artifacts") in this way, so they can have an assortment of Mystic Orbs, Magic Mirrors, Gates, and whatnot to get around. Should take the pressure off of your own points.

As for focusing your character's attention more on magic... do you have a Multipower, or a VPP? Best ways we've found to have mages that can whip up a new spell relatively quickly. As a supermage, you shouldn't be just an energy projector -- you should be the energy projector will all the Advantages you'd ever need. Slots with Affects Desolidified, BOECV, Variable Special Effects, and the like aren't going to be available to most energy projectors. If you add in some Adjustment Powers you should start to look different from those other characters in no time.

My other suggestion would be to define what type of magic your supermage uses, if you haven't. Generic Dr. Strange / Dr. Fate type supermagic is rather bland. But a Hermetic hagiomancer is really going to stand out. Not "oh, another ankh-bolt", but "yikes, he's calling upon St. Michael's sword!"

That is curious; my own campaign essentially began as a Mystic Masters type, so there's no shortage of supermages -- for me, it's differentiating them that's the problem.

However, I think you should talk to your GM if you're expected to be the "transport" for x-tra-D adventures. In many cases, GMs will allow PCs to pool points to purchase a team base or vehicle, for example. I'd suggest that he allow you to do the same for some means of extradimensional movement. I allow PCs in my game to purchase Equipment (= "artifacts") in this way, so they can have an assortment of Mystic Orbs, Magic Mirrors, Gates, and whatnot to get around. Should take the pressure off of your own points.

As for focusing your character's attention more on magic... do you have a Multipower, or a VPP? Best ways we've found to have mages that can whip up a new spell relatively quickly. As a supermage, you shouldn't be just an energy projector -- you should be the energy projector will all the Advantages you'd ever need. Slots with Affects Desolidified, BOECV, Variable Special Effects, and the like aren't going to be available to most energy projectors. If you add in some Adjustment Powers you should start to look different from those other characters in no time.

My other suggestion would be to define what type of magic your supermage uses, if you haven't. Generic Dr. Strange / Dr. Fate type supermagic is rather bland. But a Hermetic hagiomancer is really going to stand out. Not "oh, another ankh-bolt", but "yikes, he's calling upon St. Michael's sword!"

on the first part of the post ... I agree with that angle. If dimensional travel is a common element of the game then grouping points to create the "Gate" is an excellent way to go...In game this can be something like "I need to attune the gate to each of us, so provide something that represents you to build into this focus..." which translates to out of game contribution of points to the Artifact.

However, I don't think the game I brought up at the start will have that slant at all, especially not at the begining.

I was thinking of doing something neat with Runes... but really I've no idea beyond a personality type and some generalized background elements. When I get UMY and TMW I'll will probably throw up some threads with questions and builds and look for help from those who've run into some pitfalls with this Archetype (since I haven't)...

Back on topic... the reason my question came up was the thread is about Concepts GMs wished their players would play and an extention from a mostly Player POV (I'm a mediocre GM and haven't done it in years) is - have you asked them to try that? I'm sure the answer is yes but I was wondering if someone not only complied but did it well...

Well part of the problem is that Mr.GM isn't exactly prompt on responding to email. He often forgets and when he does remember, his replies are often short. Strangely enough, he has time to send jokes and funny pictures to everyone. I could talk to him after a game, but they last so long I'm too exhausted to do so.

My supermage is a technomancer. He's got some unusual spells. The problem is he gets treated like Bruce Lee by other mages. (Mr.Lee developed a new style of martial arts he was ostrasized and demonized.) This spilled over into the supergroup itself and is getting a bit old. The character himself is becoming more discouraged. His original goal was to legitimize and define technomancy. I have split it into 3 parts.

Scimancy, magic based on bending (not breaking) the laws of science. For example since mangatism and electricity are related, he has a spell that channels Earth's magnetic field into an electric blot. Likewise by changing H-bar (a constant in quantum mechanics) atomic nuculi destablize and fly apart.

Urban Magic, best way to put it is the city version of druidic magic. In the Hero books this includes the spells Smog Alert, Dereliction, Urban Renewal, and Kiddie Spacegun of Doom! Basically magical pop culture references.

True Technomancy, technology and magic working together. This would technically include enchanged swords and armor (primitive technology is still technology). Modern-day examples include enchanted PDAs, cell phones that can call up people's minds or other dimensions, and cars running on fire elementals.

I have so many ideas for spells, I should have a VPP. It's the big thing I want to check with the GM about. Fortunately I have experience in VPPs with another character so I won't be abusive.

Sure. At this point, age is an SFX that you can use to justify puchasing certian powers and skills and whatnot. But you can use other SFX (Raw Talent, Photographic Physical Memory, Trained by Genma Saotome, cybernetically-implanted Skillchips, etc.) to achieve similar results.

The issue (with point #3 that I made) is that age, like any other SFX, doesn't really bring any game mechanics in and of itself (aside from the extremes). So you're left with a character that is just as competent as a nearly identically-designed character that is 10 years younger. [the younger character is less skilled, but more talented, so their end-result is the same.] Which, in turn, implies that this character is weaker, because he needs 10 years of training and experience to catch up with his younger alternative.

And then there's the implication that the older character is nearer the downhill slope that gets everyone, which implies that he doesn't have many years left in his crimefighting career. Which is silly, of course - age isn't a resoure in comic-book land. But it is out here in the real world, and there's still an unstated implication that the character is one year closer to death, and his younger clone would simply be a better alternitive because he'll last longer.

Personally, I pass it off to the result of a culture that worships youth. If we lived in a culture that placed a greater emphasis on tradition and wisdom passed down from the adults to the younger generations, it'd probably be reversed. As it is, "getting older" is usually portrayed as a bad thing, not a good thing, once you're past your mid 20's.

I'm still not convinced that it necessarily works that way. We tend to think of 1 CP =1 CP and it all evens out in the end, but experience tells me this just isn't the case. What you spend the points on and how well you spend them makes as much difference as how many. One of the toughest groups I ever put together for a Champs game was a bunch of 250 point martial artists. Hardly any of them could do more than 10D6 of damage. But their speed and teamwork let them kick around more PCs than almost anyone else I keep on the roster. The problem is that people tend to think that they have to "sacrifice something" to have contacts or experience or skills, and often they think they have to sacrifice "raw power" or "talent". But if you think your way through things, you can do a ton on 350. You just need to be efficient with how you build and realistic in what you can do. Sorry, you can't build Superman completely on 350 - but you can build a flying brick with enough STR, CON, and DEF to give him a go. And you can probably afford the heat vision too. The rest, you'll have to wait on.

I have so many ideas for spells' date=' I should have a VPP. It's the big thing I want to check with the GM about. Fortunately I have experience in VPPs with another character so I won't be abusive.[/quote']

I suggest that you tell the GM you won't use VPP spells that you haven't pre-statted and had him vet beforehand.

Aaand, bringing this back to the topic: I wish I had players that could play a VPP character, without the 20-minute soul-searching in the middle of every adventure, hemming and hawing on what VPP powers to select. Sheesh.

Actually, I can't complain too much. I generally make the characters up to the player's specs -- and the last time someone added a character he carefully considered what archetypes were missing. He asked for Speedster or Gadgeteer suggestions, and when he chose to take "Veloz", I actually got a complicated backstory with lots of plot hooks, to boot. :thumbup:

Aaand' date=' bringing this back to the topic: I wish I had players that could play a VPP character, [i']without[/i] the 20-minute soul-searching in the middle of every adventure, hemming and hawing on what VPP powers to select. Sheesh.

If it helps, the best way to cope with a VPP is to have the powers written beforehand. With my gadgeteer, the power slots are explicit. But my other character, who is more versitle, I have generic power listing. First I have a chart of an attack power at highest level with advantages from +0 to +2 (necessary because the VPP is through a OIF). Since it is with a limitation, I already have points for another power. It's few enough points to work on the fly and having a standard list of costs helps. Then I have predefined sets of powers like; full attack, XrPDXrED, Y Flight. If I go fancy, then that's what the entire VPP does and I don't mess with using every single point.

on the first part of the post ... I agree with that angle. If dimensional travel is a common element of the game then grouping points to create the "Gate" is an excellent way to go...In game this can be something like "I need to attune the gate to each of us, so provide something that represents you to build into this focus..." which translates to out of game contribution of points to the Artifact.

However, I don't think the game I brought up at the start will have that slant at all, especially not at the begining.

I was thinking of doing something neat with Runes... but really I've no idea beyond a personality type and some generalized background elements. When I get UMY and TMW I'll will probably throw up some threads with questions and builds and look for help from those who've run into some pitfalls with this Archetype (since I haven't)...

Back on topic... the reason my question came up was the thread is about Concepts GMs wished their players would play and an extention from a mostly Player POV (I'm a mediocre GM and haven't done it in years) is - have you asked them to try that? I'm sure the answer is yes but I was wondering if someone not only complied but did it well...

A runecaster hero sounds like a pretty cool idea. The REAL key to a mystic superhero isn't in the powers, though. It's in the skills. You're the guy on the team who's expected to know all the stuff that no one else can know... or even would want to know for that matter - Arcane & Occult based KS's all with decent rolls, complemented by a (presumably) higher than average INT score.

As far as the books you mentioned, I would also suggest either the FH Grimoire I or FHGII. One of them has an entire section on Rune Magic and I can't remember which. You'll want to make sure the AP of the spells fall within your GM's campaign guidelines, as some of the standard versions of the grimoire spells might be over the limit (there are, however, lower power options for each - as well as more powerful options if you need to "catch-up" to other players) and that might give you some great spell ideas to put in a power framework. If the GM will allow it, I would also add Gestures, Incantations, and Requires a Magic Roll to your powers for a combined -1 lim, effectively cutting your power costs in half, and providing some nice, believeable limitations for your character's powers. Mystic World and Ultimate Mystic would be good books to pick up as well. I'd run it by your GM before picking up DEMON, though. It's an awesome book, but DEMON is an organization so completely based on secrets (so much so that not even the overwhelming majority of its own members know all there is to know about the group,) that if your GM plans on using DEMON in the campaign, he/she may not want you to know all there is to know about the group.

As for EDM, if I were GM and expected a player to be able to EDM the group to and from another dimension for one of my story ideas, and it wasn't a power the player already had or had expressed a desire to buy, I'd probably consider giving them a cost break somehow (like allowing that specific "stop" power to be put in a PF, or allowing that particular power to be a bit more munchkinized with more limitations that normally wouldn't be allowed.) or perhaps some extra XP JUST to buy that power. If that's the situation you're in, you might want to discuss that w/ your GM. I would think that if a player was specifically asked to spend their hard-earned character points in a particular way to suit an end formulated by the GM, the GM would be willing to work with said player.

Back to the topic at hand, however (and this one's a little wierd) I'd like to see a really heroic mentalist. Our prior GM didn't allow mentalists as he really enjoyed creating mysteries for us to solve, and well, mentalists tend to have the ability to pop a mystery open in 3 seconds. I like making mysteries to be solved, too, but I also think mental powers are pretty stinkin' cool. So, I'd like to see a heroic mentalist with lots of psych lims about respecting the sanctity of the mind and not using his powers to "mindrape" others, forcing his way into their thoughts and reading their secrets (in game terms, no using telepathy to read someone's mind unless they consent to it, or no using Mind Control to force someone to tell you what you want to know, etc.) They'd still be plenty useful, as there's nothing saying you can't EGO blast someone in combat, or even MC'ing the opposing brick into knocking the opposing EP'er into next week. And, they could still use telepathy to help someone who had suffered amnesia & asked for the PC's help to recollect their lost thoughts, or other various "consentual" non-combat situations requiring mental powers.

Back to the topic at hand' date=' however (and this one's a little wierd) I'd like to see a really heroic mentalist. Our prior GM didn't allow mentalists as he really enjoyed creating mysteries for us to solve, and well, mentalists tend to have the ability to pop a mystery open in 3 seconds. I like making mysteries to be solved, too, but I also think mental powers are pretty stinkin' cool. So, I'd like to see a heroic mentalist with lots of psych lims about respecting the sanctity of the mind and not using his powers to "mindrape" others, forcing his way into their thoughts and reading their secrets (in game terms, no using telepathy to read someone's mind unless they consent to it, or no using Mind Control to force someone to tell you what you want to know, etc.) They'd still be plenty useful, as there's nothing saying you can't EGO blast someone in combat, or even MC'ing the opposing brick into knocking the opposing EP'er into next week. And, they could still use telepathy to help someone who had suffered amnesia & asked for the PC's help to recollect their lost thoughts, or other various "consentual" non-combat situations requiring mental powers.[/quote']

Huh. In my gaming circle, it's usually assumed that abusing telepathy by just ripping information out of people's heads is the sort of thing that gets you kicked off teams (if you'd do it to him, how do we know you wouldn't do it to us) or arrested for assault. The last mentalist I played wouldn't enter anyone's mind without consent. I'm not even sure it was really a psychlim, just a personality thing.

or arrested for assault. The last mentalist I played wouldn't enter anyone's mind without consent.

In my group, the detective does half the work,

and the mentalist does the other half.

Man if the mentalist didnt pry open the bad guys brains

we'd still be stuck on adventure one.

But I as the GM built this into the campaign feel.

I dinna write a 4-color, CVK setting.

BTW: Karma, I preferred your old animated avatar, FWIW.

And that's fine. Uninvited mental intrusion may be like assault -- but in a 265-color no-CVK settting, then assault is par for the course, so it's no big.

BTW: Karma' date=' I preferred your old animated avatar, FWIW.[/i']
Aw. It's so sweet that you noticed.

In my group, the detective does half the work,

and the mentalist does the other half.

Man if the mentalist didnt pry open the bad guys brains

we'd still be stuck on adventure one.

Using telepathy as an interrogation tool against known supervillains and their goons while or after they fight you is one thing. Just randomly rummaging around in people's minds the first time you meet them is another.