Concepts you wish your players would play

Hermit

They're even proactive half the time. All I have to do is say "It's X:00 on Xday. What are you doing?" Half the time if they're not doing secret ID stuff' date=' they're following up on unresolved leads from prior adventures. [/quote']

Oh, sure, rub it in why don't ya. :mad::(

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Concepts you wish your players would play

Hehe... sorry. I had hoped that by sharing my success that others might find hope and dig deep to find the drive to...

...okay. I was rubbing it in. :rolleyes:

And, after careful consideration, a super-intelligent talking ape makes a much better supervillain than a superhero (no offense to D-Watts or Dr. Silverback) so I don't think I'd want one as a PC. (Although, as my companions will attest, I like the monkeys so much that I'd probably just go ahead and allow both.)

I think I'd just be pretty happy with characters who all want to be there, all want to do good deeds, are all motivated to work together, and whose drive to the right thing is bigger than their egos.

No, not EGO, ego.

I may never understand the competition and the feet-dragging I run into with some groups . . .

Hehe... sorry. I had hoped that by sharing my success that others might find hope and dig deep to find the drive to...

...okay. I was rubbing it in. :rolleyes:

And, after careful consideration, a super-intelligent talking ape makes a much better supervillain than a superhero (no offense to D-Watts or Dr. Silverback) so I don't think I'd want one as a PC. (Although, as my companions will attest, I like the monkeys so much that I'd probably just go ahead and allow both.)

Out of curiosity, what is it with comic books and apes?

Out of curiosity' date=' what is it with comic books and apes?[/quote']

It's just one of those marriages meant to work on a cosmic scale. Peanut Butter and Chocolate, Laurel & Hardy, Comic books and apes. They just go together.

On a topic related note, I think it'd be fun to have a PC duo in game - a main hero and a sidekick, Batman & Robin (Gotham Knights Dini & Timm style... not Batman TV series Ace & Gary style, unless of course the tone of the campaign warranted it) types.

Of course, it's also nice to see new hero ideas come to the game table, too. I wouldn't want my players to think I expect them to just churn out a bunch of JLA clones or anything. Though, I did tell our team's Nighthawk that I thought about introducing a young superhero who idolizes him and wants to team up whose real name is "Todd Jason." He wasn't amused for some reason... Kinda like when I tried to introduce him to this really nice girl named "Stacey Guinn." Go fig.

Of course' date=' it's also nice to see new hero ideas come to the game table, too. I wouldn't want my players to think I expect them to just churn out a bunch of JLA clones or anything. Though, I did tell our team's Nighthawk that I thought about introducing a young superhero who idolizes him and wants to team up whose real name is "Todd Jason." He wasn't amused for some reason... Kinda like when I tried to introduce him to this really nice girl named "Stacey Guinn." Go fig.[/quote']

Provided you are willing to make the NPCs interesting people, and not simply one-dimensional jokes, I personally can't see anything wrong with them - not that my opinion in this matters one whit. Considering you'd be calling your sidekick "Todd" - instead of Jason - and your SO "Stacy" - instead of Gwen - he'd have nothing to really quibble about.

Provided you are willing to make the NPCs interesting people' date=' and not simply one-dimensional jokes, I personally can't see anything wrong with them - not that my opinion in this matters one whit. Considering you'd be calling your sidekick "Todd" - instead of Jason - and your SO "Stacy" - instead of Gwen - he'd have nothing to really quibble about.[/quote']

I can certianly see our point regarding the dimensionality of the character - for me, though, homages like that work best when they're trivial or in the background - like calling a medical agency for disabled superheroes the "Reeve Foundation". It's a nice tip of the hat and all, but once you start having to talk about it on a regular basis, the homage/joke starts to wear thin. It's like a joke or witticism that gets repeated until it isn't funny anymore.

But ' date=' assuming the player would enjoy it anyway, what concepts would you not only welcome, but look forward to in your Champions games either because it fits your style of play, gives you many plot hooks, or you just think it would be neat...whatever :)[/quote']

I like it when the PC has a connection to pre-established NPCs, be they heroes, villains, businesses, etc. I also like well thought-out backgrounds (not novels, I prefer quality not quantity). PCs with noncombat skills are wonderful. A vulnerability or susceptibility is awesome, but very rare (I think most players -self included- become worried [paranoid?] that a GM will exploit it into overkill mode).

Say, what about yourself? :D

I like it when the PC has a connection to pre-established NPCs' date=' be they heroes, villains, businesses, etc. I also like well thought-out backgrounds (not novels, I prefer quality not quantity). PCs with noncombat skills are wonderful. A vulnerability or susceptibility is awesome, but very rare (I think most players -self included- become worried [paranoid?'] that a GM will exploit it into overkill mode).

Say, what about yourself? :D

Me? I'm one of those paranoid types ;)

Provided you are willing to make the NPCs interesting people' date=' and not simply one-dimensional jokes, I personally can't see anything wrong with them - not that my opinion in this matters one whit. Considering you'd be calling your sidekick "Todd" - instead of Jason - and your SO "Stacy" - instead of Gwen - he'd have nothing to really quibble about.[/quote']

I was, of course, only kidding with the player. I, too, enjoy a good homage character as much as the next person, but I'd sure try to come up with a more subtle name to keep the player off the scent if I was actually to put an homage character in game - particularly one whose appearance would indicate to the player that the NPC would not survive to the story's end. These obvious references were just brought up when I was talking to the player about how he saw his character developing down the road. Our convo included the possibility of taking on a sidekick (I believe the term he used was "Youthful Ward" :P ) or a Girl-Hostage-Of-The-Week.

I would like to see heroes, winners not whinners! I would like to see characters who keep trying even after all appears lost. Characters who even though Dr. Destroyer has beaten the team, dropped everyone to 5 STUN; still have the courage to stand up and say "No Dr. Destroyer! Today you lose!"

Heroes like this are a joy to have in a campaign.

I am tierd of hearing is this a "capture the party scenario"? No, I created a challenge for once. Or hearing why did I get knocked out and he didn't?

I have a Native American Archer in my party now. He is always whinning about running low on arrows. He is a efffective martial artists without his bow, the player never realises this. He runs out of his 24 arrows and begins to whine on how uneffective he is now.

Players that appreciate the fact that I am challenging them for once, and have fun with it instead of whinning. See the new challenge and find a way to beat it. That is the true defintion of a hero to me. One that can find a way to succeed when all appears to be lost

I would like to see heroes, winners not whiners! I would like to see characters who keep trying even after all appears lost. Characters who even though Dr. Destroyer has beaten the team, dropped everyone to 5 STUN; still have the courage to stand up and say "No Dr. Destroyer! Today you lose!"

Heroes like this are a joy to have in a campaign.

AMEN BROTHER, PREACH IT. :thumbup:

I swear I need to start docking XPs on the whiners.

= = = = = == = = = = = = = = =

But as far as the concepts, I did force my players to build an archetype.

I made a list, ie Brick, Telepath, Mage, Blaster, Patriot, Gadgeteer, etc.

and then built to that ideal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorillas_in_comics

Basically, it was thought it boosted sales.

My understanding is that DC required a gorilla on the cover of one title in any given month.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear of similar requirements for cheesecake pinup covers in the 90's.

I do like players to play archetypes, but I hate imposing them on my players. :o

It's funny Bengalelf mentions the Native American Archer. I was in a game with a player who played one as well, except he didn't have martial arts. He ONLY had 2d6 RKAs. That was his ONLY attack. It wouldn't have been so bad if he had some skill levels (to do the 'pin' attacks or even shooting the hand), but he had a Code vs. Killing (I *think* Total). That and he didn't spend all his points on his character. It was one of a few characters that he had where he didn't spend all his points, would say he didn't need them all, then complain because he couldn't do anything else. :straight:

I would like players that don't shoot first and ask questions later. I would like ones that don't think Pushing after whaling ineffectually on the baddie at full strength counts as a new tactic. I would like players that bring me a beer and rub my feet in exchange for XPs.

I have a Native American Archer in my party now. He is always whinning about running low on arrows. He is a efffective martial artists without his bow' date=' the player never realises this. He runs out of his 24 arrows and begins to whine on how uneffective he is now.[/quote']

Yeaaaaarrrss ago, back with 2nd or 3rd ed Champs, I was in a game along with another player, who was playing "Caliber". Caliber had all of the various stock weapons at the time and carried them around. Things like the 7d6 Light Autocannon, 5d6 Carbine, etc. All normal damage at the time (though there were KA options, but he had the normal damage versions). We're fighting a batch of agents, and we go on so long he goes through ALL the weapons, running them all out of ammo. Sensing victory, the agents close up with him...and he proceeds to beat the snot out of them with his 65 Strength. :lol: I was laughing, my character was flabbergasted, Caliber got a re-write. :D

Yeaaaaarrrss ago' date=' back with 2nd or 3rd ed Champs, I was in a game along with another player, who was playing "Caliber". Caliber had all of the various stock weapons at the time and carried them around. Things like the 7d6 Light Autocannon, 5d6 Carbine, etc. All normal damage at the time (though there were KA options, but he had the normal damage versions). We're fighting a batch of agents, and we go on so long he goes through ALL the weapons, running them all out of ammo. Sensing victory, the agents close up with him...and he proceeds to beat the snot out of them with his [b']65 Strength.[/b] :lol: I was laughing, my character was flabbergasted, Caliber got a re-write. :D

You'd need a 65 STR to carry around that arsenal...

... We're fighting a batch of agents' date=' and we go on so long he goes through ALL the weapons, running them all out of ammo. Sensing victory, the agents close up with him...and he proceeds to beat the snot out of them with his [b']65 Strength.[/b] :lol: I was laughing, my character was flabbergasted, Caliber got a re-write. :D

Yeah. I once had a power armor character that the same thing came up with. We were fighting the Ultimates, and I'd somehow ended up facing Plasmoid -- who was shrugging of my energy blasts like nothing.

So I picked up a telephone pole and swatted him. The GM and everyone else had a moment of this: :nonp:

"What's your STR?" asks the GM. "Um. 50?" says me.

"Why don't you ever use that?!?" everyone else shouts.

it costs END. my energy blast is 0 END...

My character didn't get a re-write, but I did learn my lesson. In my current campaign I ruthlessly enforce niche protection. When I laid the high-STR smackdown on Plasmoid, I'd suddenly trampled all over the team brick's schtick. He was a little miffed. So now, the Martial Artist does not have more DEF or STR than the Brick in my game, and the Brick does not have more DCV than the Martial Artist -- no matter how they whine.

They whine more if another PC beats them at "what they do".

As a player, I don't care that much about "being the very best at what I do", as long as my character isn't constantly overshadowed at everything.

The power armor character with a high STR in the suit is perfectly within concept and entirely appropriate. My response to the brick whining about "having his niche stepped on" would be "We won, didn't we? We stopped the villains, didn't we? We thwarted evil, didn't we? What do you care more about, getting the job done or reaping glory?"

c' date=' I'd suddenly trampled all over the team brick's schtick. He was a little miffed. So now, the Martial Artist does not have more DEF or STR than the Brick in my game, and the Brick does not have more DCV than the Martial Artist -- no matter how they whine.[/quote']

this is good with one modification. :thumbup:

If we're enforcing archetype and niche,

and emphasizing teamwork, then each team member has

a back up person for his job.

IE: if the _______ gets entangled, then _________ steps up to do his job

until the main guy gets rescued.

Wow... reading all this sure makes me thank my lucky stars as a GM. I have a group of players who luckily understand the 4-color side of the genre. I don't have to worry about them not being heroically motivated. They're heroes. All I have to do is throw the Earth-Shattering Freak of the Week at them and they snap to action. They're even proactive half the time. All I have to do is say "It's X:00 on Xday. What are you doing?" Half the time if they're not doing secret ID stuff, they're following up on unresolved leads from prior adventures. This is an eye-opener for sure. I knew they were a great bunch of players, I just had no idea how rare they were.

As far as what I'd like to see, I'd LOVE to see someone in my campaign play a Plastic-Man/ Mr. Fantastic style Metamorph. The shapechanger we do have is more in the Mystique vein with Growing/Shrinking powers as well, but not the Stretching, the HA made from turning her hands into giant Mallets, Gliding by turning into a parachute, etc. She's great for espionage, but personally, I'd love to see a metamorph with the more Silver Age body alteration powers.

I'd also entertain any character applications for a super-intelligent talking ape.

How about a battle cyborg whose shell looks like an ape?

Or an Orangutan magician? Librarian would work, I suppose. :D