Patriotic Heroes

Major Freedom

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Patriotic Heroes

For an Air Force character, using the name of a famous fighter plane or bomber would work.

Liberator (B-24)

Eagle (or Strike Eagle) F-15

Mustang (P-51)

Thunderbolt (P-47)

Flying Fortress (B-17)

Super Fortress (B-29)

Actually, a navy buddy of mine said we changed back to Commodore. The jokes were just too much for the flag officers.

BTW, how about Freedom Fighter.

We only went back to Commodores for a little bit during the 80's and then went back.

Currently it's still Rear Admiral, Lower Half.

TB

For an Air Force character, using the name of a famous fighter plane or bomber would work.

Liberator (B-24)

Eagle (or Strike Eagle) F-15

Mustang (P-51)

Thunderbolt (P-47)

Flying Fortress (B-17)

Super Fortress (B-29)

Shooting Star

Sabre

Super Saber

Phantom

Tomcat

Falcon

Lightning

I always thought that Barbarossa would make a good name for a German patriot hero.

Or of course you could always just go with 'Hauptmann Deutschland'. ;)

Hmmm ... when I hear "Barbariossa I either think of

(a) Friedrich Barbarossa, the historic Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire of German Nation who died during the 3. Crusade

(B) the same guy, but now sitting in the Kyffhäuser Mountain with this red beard grown through a table (he has been sitting there for QUITE A WHILE) waiting for his come-back when Germany is in big trouble (must have been on vacation during WW 1 and 2 and is still taking a nap)

© the German offensive agaisnt the Soviet Union during WW2

The first is an okay image but boring for a superhero (to historic, not heroic enough), the second is justt boring (you could the also call him "Old Man Napping") and the third is unheroic.

So I'd say - NAAAH!

Hauptmann Deutschland does not sound nearly as well to German ears as Captain America sound s to American ears.

Too militaristic perhaps - dunno. Maybe just the word Hauptmann does not have the same ring. And Kapitän is a no go - that's the captain of a ship.

In my campaign so far there is only 2 Patriotic Heroes.

Sonic Soldier, who is a Super Speedster with Sonic Powers to boot. Think of a mix of Flash with Captain America.

US Arrow, a Archer with special Arrows he can use. Think Hawkeye or Green Arrow but with a Mix of Captain Atom.

On the Villain side we have 1 character that is devoted to the NAZI cause.

Panzar Version 2.0, a high tech power suit that fires Missiles and polarized energy blasts. Think War Machine meets Red Skull.

There is also another Villain devoted to uniting CHINA under his rule. Of course after China comes the rest of the Earth. Havent really hinted about this guy that much.

Cao Cao, a Swordman joined with a Chinese Dragon Spirit. His death, in history, was a Slumber from the Joining. He has been awoken finally and has the powr of the magic of the Dragon and his increased abilities.

I had one.. he was a polearms expert with a powered polearm called American Standard. And the polearm had a holigraphic flag out of it too....

then someone pointed out that there is a urnal company all over america that uses the name American Standard... and from that point on I kept getting urnal cakes droped on my chariter in the game... needless to say i retired him next game asap!

I have a military based group called The Battalion, representing the individual ranks in the Army:

Private Platoon - duplication, which I figured made sense for the 'grunt' rank.

Corporal Hotwire - a cyborg gadgeteer

Sergeant Stone - strongest member and made of living stone, discovered when her chute dumped on a parartroop jump

Lieutenant Lucifer - since looies seem to be universally reviled, I made him a demon-possessed young officer with corresponding powers. Drawing a horned demon in fatigues looked kinda cool too.

Captain Evac - mass teleporter

Colonel Steadfast - nullifier of kinetic energy

General Volt- manipulates electricity, and of course, gets called General Electric behind his back.

There have been a ton of patriotic heroes over the decades.

Heroes Unlimited has a team of superpatriots. Their leader was the Patriot I think (standard Captain America type, minus shield), Stars and Stripes (telepathic twins who were Korean immigrants), American Eagle (fake wings but his wind control powers were real enough, and another guy in a minute man outfit (with lots of martial arts skills, bladed weapons, and bad attitude although fond of Star/Stripes and a loyal team member for his Wolverine-like attitude).

Force of July was mentioned with:

1. Major Victory: brick and team leader

2. Mayflower (decked out like a Pilgrim- honest): plant control powers

3. Lady Liberty? Not sure about the name but dressed up like the statue of liberty with energy projection powers. Her blasts increased when focused through her torch.

4. Sparkler: flight and energy blaster- annoying too.

5. Silent Majority: duplication powers and might absorb kinetic energy to fuel the duplication.

DC has Uncle Sam, the living embodiment of America. He tends to be a little simple and straight foward yet has a common and cutting wisdom. Mostly brick powers. Writers often show him in a certain state to reflect their view of America.

Image's America Way has a hero, called old Glory, whose major power is to inspire. Dressed up like a minute man, uses a flag with staff as a weapon as well as old west revolver. Likely to have (it would seem initially) enhanced physical stats and combat ability.

Similar to Old Glory, the Old Soldier (I think, might be unknown Soldier) exists in the Astro City universe. Like Uncle Sam, he represents the US although more the fighting man. Powers unknown to me although I'd assume physical stats are high as are combat ability.

Jack Kirby created the Fighting American, basically a Captain America clone.

Another patriotic character, from AC's femforce, was Miss Victory. Later modernized to Ms. Victory. Got her powers from Vitamin V, I think. Actually came out a year before Wonder Woman, she had incredible strength and durability. Later went evil after exposure to some chemicals so that her daughter was forced to take up the role.

Actually, in Astro City, the Old Soldier does not represent America specifically. he has flags of many nations draped around him, and if you look he is wearing musketeer boots and carries a pistol and a sword.

He appears where ever there is a climactic battle that will determine the course of history. According to the lore he has appeared on and off throughout history, and has fought for, and occasionally against, American forces.

The Old Soldier is apparently something of a supernatural entity. His powers seem to be the ability to appear where he is needed to tip the scales on the side of righteousness, and (naturally) immortality. Otherwise he appears to be a fighting man of phenominal, although Human, ability. (In the same way that the Batman is "just a normal man").

To "Powerhouse'. I always liked "The Force Of July"; partly because they were "villains" (at least in as much as they were opposed to the heros of the bokk "The Outsiders"). If memory serves (Oops too much "Iron Chef" last night !;) "Lady Liberty" was dressed as the statue of liberty and carried a torch, she also spoke with a French accent.

Similar to Old Glory, the Old Soldier (I think, might be unknown Soldier) exists in the Astro City universe. Like Uncle Sam, he represents the US although more the fighting man. Powers unknown to me although I'd assume physical stats are high as are combat ability.

The Old Soldier is a ghost. He can't be permanently killed and he either can pass through solid objects and turn invisible or use extradimensional travel. Yes, that's right. The Old Soldier doesn't die, but he does fade away.

The Old Soldier is a ghost. He can't be permanently killed and he either can pass through solid objects and turn invisible or use extradimensional travel. Yes' date=' that's right. The Old Soldier doesn't die, but he does fade away.[/quote']

He is armed with a variety of weapons and wears a mix of armor too. Always fought with/for the US since 1776, but stood against them in Vietnam. Didn't appear for years after WWII (thought to be dead) and then reappeared in the early sixties. I haven't seen him do anything classically ghost-like but he does know where he is needed and will show up there.

He is armed with a variety of weapons and wears a mix of armor too. Always fought with/for the US since 1776' date=' but stood against them in Vietnam. Didn't appear for years after WWII (thought to be dead) and then reappeared in the early sixties. I haven't seen him do anything classically ghost-like but he does know where he is needed and will show up there.[/quote']

Well based on his appearance "from nowhere" in that 60s story, he can walk through walls, turn invisible, or extradimensionally move. Precisely which isn't clear but there was nowhere for him to come from behind that reporter, who was standing with his back toward one of the walls of the subway tunnel when the Soldier suddenly showed up behind him.

He didn't actually "stand against them" in Vietnam in general, I think. He just ended up getting on their bad side for a while when he stopped a massacre, presumably because the officer in charge lied his head off about what the Soldier stopped him doing.

Well based on his appearance "from nowhere" in that 60s story' date=' he can walk through walls, turn invisible, or extradimensionally move. Precisely which isn't clear but there was nowhere for him to come from behind that reporter, who was standing with his back toward one of the walls of the subway tunnel when the Soldier suddenly showed up behind him.[/quote']

Good point. I think the reporter basically says he "walked out of the wall" doesn't he? Or close to it.

He didn't actually "stand against them" in Vietnam in general, I think. He just ended up getting on their bad side for a while when he stopped a massacre, presumably because the officer in charge lied his head off about what the Soldier stopped him doing.

Hmm... I'm fairly sure the line is something close to "opposed" or "stood against" in one of the AC stories.