Wow Steve,

JmOz

Having nothing intelegent to say about the new FH book yet, I do want to ask Steve a question:

How fast do you go through Keyboards? 709 pages, wow...

After I have read some I will comment on the Playtest boards...

What is the ESTIMATED cost of this book going to be?

Originally posted by Old Man

I too am curious as to what Steve's WPM is and how he manages to put in that much keyboard time without developing carpal tunnel or secretary's spread.

For efficiency they are combined into "carpal spread". Good news is that it can be assisted through a combinaton of isometric clenches and ergonomically correct underwear.

The cost of the book is $31.99.

I don't know that I've ever had my WPM clocked, come to think of it. I average around 1,000 words per hour when not distracted or forced to do lots of research. According to my guesstimates, over the main writing period for FH I averaged 8,000 words per working day (high of 13,500, lows of around 5,000).

As for carpal tunnel and whatnot -- I try to take care and not do too much typing at once. I frequently have to turn away from the keyboard to look stuff up in books, use the calculator, etc. Believe me, that's one malady I would strongly prefer to avoid.

Originally posted by Killer Shrike

Eh, just crush your wrists in sporting accidents; they'll take the carpal tunnel out as part of the reconstructive surgery. Granted, the nerve damage is unkewl, but nothing is 100% good.:cool:

Well, granted, Steve is rumored to have a beu. Maybe he could get someone else to type for him. :D

I really should lay down now.

no it's faster when one brain does both(the thinking and typing)

Best preventative mesure for CTS?

Take courses in massage therapy.

Massage Therapists discovered CTS loooong before any dull Sec. started noticing.

Essentially you more or less do finger stretches before beggining typing for the day, those exercises also stretch the CT's and gets them warmed up and ready for a 13k typing day. or dealing with 8 200+# rich guys for an hour of massages each.

Originally posted by Steve Long

...over the main writing period for FH I averaged 8,000 words per working day

:eek:

I could never approach that and I average five hours of keyboard time per day. Of course it's always on different keyboards and involves excessive use of bizarre punctuation keys. But even typing in english I'm just not that fast.

The cost of the book is $31.99.

I don't know that I've ever had my WPM clocked, come to think of it. I average around 1,000 words per hour when not distracted or forced to do lots of research. According to my guesstimates, over the main writing period for FH I averaged 8,000 words per working day (high of 13,500, lows of around 5,000).

:eek: Good Lord! :eek:

I've managed about 6-8k over a weekend.

Pardon me...I'm going to go throw myself under a truck.

Having just finished reading FH, here is my initial response.

MY DEAR SWEET MONKEY!

How in the world you managed to sum up, or at least mention, nearly every piece of medival historical data concerning fightning, armor, weapons, etc., I've learned in my four years in the SCA is astounding. The wpm thing is cool, but the sheer amount of information in this book is unreal. Steve, you are 'da MAN!

Re: Wow Steve,

Originally posted by JmOz

Having nothing intelegent to say about the new FH book yet, I do want to ask Steve a question:

How fast do you go through Keyboards? 709 pages, wow...

After I have read some I will comment on the Playtest boards...

What is the ESTIMATED cost of this book going to be?

Okay, I am a hardcore gamer.

I will try and refrain from religious superlatives, and vulgar expletives but...

Holy F 'ing C_%$#@!

Last time I felt anything like this was when I saw the Matrix for the first time at a sneak preview.

This is how I like my Fantasy Hero, and Steve has, and all his playtest henchmen, put into a Fantasy Heronomicon concepts and mechanics that even experienced players in my games are still figuring out.

Cost? BAh !

What price do you pay for gold. Pure gold that then has the value add of clear, inspiring artistry?

No price would be too much..

< End Hyperbole >

Short Reply: Great Stuff.

Everybody's got a talent, I s'pose. Some guys are great at basketball, some at video games, some at dancing, some at picking up women, some at drawing, some at math. Me, I write fast. ;)

Being a fast writer is much better than being a slow write or even a half-fast writer.:D

If you don't get it say it out loud.