USPD is wonderous!

Yamo

I was a little skeptical when I was expecting it to be "just" a laundry list of Powers, but now that I finally have it in my hot little hands, I have to say that this little gem has dethroned CCK as my favorite Champions book.

The art, layout, and usefulness are dramatically improved over the other Champs products (IMHO).

And the text is surprisingly engaging for such a utilitarian volumn. The gimmick of the numerous "in-character" sidebars with UNTIL folks discussing various CU characters was an inspired choice.

Good show, all!

The USPD has kind of a "Nighthawk's most embarrassing moments" theme in some of the pictures and sidebars.

P. 121 - villain escapes by tossing diner stuff at him

P. 130 - stone gargoyle falls from a roof onto his head

P. 158 - he gets burned by illusionary fire

P. 163 - he gets attacked by schoolchildren

Is that deliberate, a running gag, or just how it happened to work out?

RE: Nighthawk

I hope they don't over do that sort of thing. One complaint I used to hear about Seeker was that his constantly getting humilated seemed to make him a joke. The only thing that saved him at all was he took it with a smile and was a bit of a swashbuckler. Nighthawk is not. He's the 'dark avenger' type of the group. Assuming we're supposed to take Nighthawk seriously, it's best not to make him the whipping boy of the Champions each and everytime they come up.

Re: RE: Nighthawk

Originally posted by Hermit

I hope they don't over do that sort of thing. One complaint I used to hear about Seeker was that his constantly getting humilated seemed to make him a joke. The only thing that saved him at all was he took it with a smile and was a bit of a swashbuckler. Nighthawk is not. He's the 'dark avenger' type of the group. Assuming we're supposed to take Nighthawk seriously, it's best not to make him the whipping boy of the Champions each and everytime they come up.

I think Seeker's origin had a great deal to do with the mocking and Nighthawk is his replacement. On top of everything else, he has that silly hood/hat. The headgear invites danger. It has to be hard running in the forest or in buildings having to dodge limbs and the tops of doorways, light fixtures, etc.

Sorry for heisting the thread buuut

Originally posted by Ben Seeman

I've never understood why people don't like Nighthawk's hood. I think it's cool. So there.

Actually, when I first saw it sans color, I was picturing this yellow billed thing.. *Shiver*

Then I saw the colorized versions (silver, no yellow) and had to admit, it looked pretty cool.

I really don't think it's so honking huge that it would really impede him much, but that's me.

Frankly, given his immense weight, I would think Ironclad would be the one cast in the 'fallguy' role..litterally.

Actually, I think the love is shared among all the other members of the Champions, as far as getting butts kicked goes. I think it has a lot to do with showing villains in action for the first time - we want to make them look threatening. And actually, I don't think there have been to many scenes of Nighthawk getting flat-out CLOBBERED as there were of Seeker.

Originally posted by TedJMill

The USPD has kind of a "Nighthawk's most embarrassing moments" theme in some of the pictures and sidebars.

P. 121 - villain escapes by tossing diner stuff at him

P. 130 - stone gargoyle falls from a roof onto his head

P. 158 - he gets burned by illusionary fire

P. 163 - he gets attacked by schoolchildren

Is that deliberate, a running gag, or just how it happened to work out?

According to Steve (in another thread, which I don't recall... and I'm not even 100% sure it was Steve, not that I think on it), this was just how it happened to work out.

Personally, I like it. I'm just waiting for the Champions supplement with a cover showing Nighthawk in serious trouble, and somewhere in the background is a Champions comic book with Seeker in the identical situation. :D

Okay, by my count there are 62 unique pictures in USPDB.

In 17 (27.4%) there is no victim.

There are 4 "kinda" cases. The first is a case where Gargantua is menacing civilains but isn't actually attacking. The second is the "non combat victimization" picture of Menton with two females.

The two other exceptions are hard to classify. In one, Ironclad is in the background as a villain demonstrates her power -- but he isn't be attacked and his posture doesn't qualify as being menaced. In the other, Stormfront & Sapphire are attacking each other but missing.

Of the remaining 41 pics, the "good guys" are the victim/being made look bad 33 (53.2%) times, versus 8 (12.9%) times where the black hat is going down.

Now, as for WHO is getting the beatdown in the 41 "obvious victim" pics...

Victims Unnamed

11 pictures

Also, there is an unrecognizable pictured with Defender being held by Grond (picture counted for Defender, below).

One-Hit Wonders

Ironclad (but see above), Thunderbird, Riptide, Kodiak, Amradillo, Dr. Silverback, Kinetik, Eurostar, and an alien craft.

Note: There is also a picture in which "the Champions" are in a darkness field, and you can make out Defender's leg and Nighthawk's beak. This picture counted for both.

Defender

5 (pg 11, 52, 73, 98, 210).

Nightwind, from MC

2 (pg 81, 114)

Nighthawk

6 (pg 52, 77, 121, 130, 158, 163). Anybody else notice he's getting beat on by the cast of Peanuts on 163?

Sapphre

3, not counting "sorta" case with Stormwind pg 250

(pg 18, 214, 226)

Witchcraft

3 (pg 153, 222, 255)

I like it too. It reminds me of my childhood when BotP was on. How about giving him a robot sidekick, 7-Zark-7 (I think that was its name)?

Originally posted by Ben Seeman

I've never understood why people don't like Nighthawk's hood. I think it's cool. So there.