The thing's I've learned playing a Brick...

Bloodstone

Re: The thing's I've learned playing a Brick...

First of all, you have some good ideas here. My compliments.

Secondly, and this isn't a criticism of the character, why would he need a slingshot for a ranged attack? He *is* a brick, after all; couldn't he just throw the ball bearings at people?

Have you ever tried throwing a ball bearing as hard as you could with any accuracy...? Plus, the ball bearing will leave the slingshot with much more velocity than you can throw, because of an inherent limit on how fast you can throw something... You can't throw anything faster than you can move your hand... The slingshot changes that...

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes you need a few levels of growth to pull off those "big strength feats". Otherwise when Strong Guy tries to pick up that battleship from one of its ends, all he's going to do is push himself into the ground! If he were four stories tall however, much like his friend Big Guy is, the GM might see things differently (mainly due to his wider feet spreading the load a bit!) and that battleship turns into one big baseball bat! :)

If you are in a more realisitic game, then buy a linked tactile TK, that effects the whole object and then pick up what ever you want (as long as the Tac TK is strong enough), it stays in one piece, plus don't make it no range, so when you throw, swing with it, it stays in one piece and does as damage equal to your STR.

AE: One Hex for 60 STR costs 30 points. Those 30 points will buy you +10 OCV with Punch, Grab, and Sweep, or just plain +15 OCV with Punch.

You can dive for cover from my AE attack. Good luck dodging my punch with +15 OCV.:D

AE: One Hex for 60 STR costs 30 points. Those 30 points will buy you +10 OCV with Punch' date=' Grab, and Sweep, or just plain +15 OCV with Punch.[/b']

You can dive for cover from my AE attack. Good luck dodging my punch with +15 OCV.:D

Actually, you can Dive from single-target attacks now, IIRC.

The Martial Artist can't pull a dodge if he attacked you this segment.
"Disco-Dude is cool with it, Baby. He'll be more careful next time."

Remember that Martial Artists often have skill levels, which can be used to raise their damage rolls against easily hit opponents.

Not so usefull against one of my DEX 27 Bricks, but hey.

Instead of buying a Naked Power Modifier,how about buying an HA (or EB) with a Power Advantage?You can buy them as a slot in a Multipower without having to beg the GM.

E.G.Shockwave:8d6EB,Explosion(+1/2),Hole In The Middle(+1/4)(70 Active Points),No Range(-1/2),Only Vs. Ground Targets(-1/4) (40 Real Points)

If you have a thing about fighting honorably, find out what the gamemaster considers honorable, write down the psych limit, get the points for it, and make it clear from the start, in character, in word and in deed where you are coming from.

This is more an issue for bricks than for some other characters, because it is all too easy for a brick to wind up as the team's designated "executioner" of half or zero defensive combat value opponents, and because there are stereotypes to consider, about how a lot of mighty heroes act.

Sample situation: you are haymakering your opponent, and the team mentalist hits him with a mental entangle (or an equally paralysing attack that he has no chance to throw off). The victim can't even quail in helpless terror or say "Mommy!" as he waits for the wrecking ball to hit. Everybody on the team, in and out of character, expects you to do the tactically efficient thing, and there will be bad blood if you don't do it without a reasonable excuse. Do you:

a) say "Smile for the birdie!" and put that sucker in orbit? If so, you will probably have a happy career as an efficient team brick, and you can expect to be fed more helpless targets in future.

B) balk? "Mighty Tiw [or insert your character's name] does not smite bound victims. I will not!" In this case you'll need a chunk of your character sheet to say that you won't do that, and you took points for it. You will also need a higher OCV than the Executioner, even at the cost of a little less strength.

Think it out in advance: how are you going to win your fights or pull your weight for the team? Don't just have a mental image of uninhibited Captain Rugged air-swinging and taking minor hits till he connects with his campaign limit strength. It might work that way in a comic, but in a game you'll be presented with different options and dilemmas, and if your character is designed so that when these choices come up he can and will act the way you think a heroic brick should act you'll have more fun.

If you have a thing about fighting honorably' date=' find out what the gamemaster considers honorable, write down the psych limit, get the points for it, and make it clear from the start, in character, in word and in deed where you are coming from. .... act the way you think a heroic brick should act you'll have more fun.[/quote']

Bricks provide almost the best role-play, if you consider strongly how you will use the power given.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to David Blue again.

:thumbup:

Hmm....

Learned the Lesson of Ed Grubermann: 20 rPD Armor, Hardened (+1/4) Only to protect Hit Locations 3-5 (-2), Only against Martial Arts Attacks (-1). 37 Active Points, Real Cost 9.

That's it, right? Always make sure you've got enough head-armor before taking on cranky old Martial Arts shrimps? :P

Oh. :straight:

Oh ? that's your only reaction ?

Well its funnier out loud. the write-up doesnt convey how typically blunt Ed Gruberman comes across.

the lesson of Ed Gruberman (imho) is that INT and EGO serve you just as well as STR and RUN.

As a GM I love constructing scenarios where a "Get'em" battle plan will definitely fail.

linx

A brick without at least 17" of some movement power is deprived.

Yes. There is some cheesy application of math here. A Brick with 17" of movement gets a 9" half move, and gets +6d6 on move throughs and +3d6 on move bys.

If you add to that:

+60 STR, Casual STR Only, 0 END

and:

10" KB resistance, Only to resist Move own Through/By KB.

you get the Juggernaut.

The GM'd be within his/her rights to limit your STR though...