The things I've learned playing a Martial Artist

Jomster

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The things I've learned playing a Martial Artist

No matter how high your DCV, someone is going to tag you. Never overlook those body hardening techniques.

Try and get a decent PD or ED, otherwise you'll be stunned the first time you're hit, and unconscious on the next.

That meditation skill you bought when starting up so as to have a more fully rounded martial artist (but then forgot for ages) will come into its own one day as the basis for a full suite of nifty chi-based super powers!

If you puny snap-kick doesn't even penetrate my nice, shiny red power-armor PULEEZE at least spare me the surprised look on your face when I kick your sorry ninja-butt from Millenium City to Kansas and your STUN turns tripple digits - in minus.

I've always been of the oppinion that martial artist are tough, powerful and cool in heroic campaigns and the low-powered vigilante streetlevel more-or-less-normal genre - but I was never impressed by Secret King Fu Powers when somebody next to me could fly, blast laser out of her eye or bench-press a tank.

If you puny snap-kick doesn't even penetrate my nice' date=' shiny red power-armor PULEEZE at least spare me the surprised look on your face when I kick your sorry ninja-butt from Millenium City to Kansas and your STUN turns tripple digits - in minus.[/quote']

Well, I will as long as you don't cry foul when your mighty blow misses by a mile, I analyze your "shiny red power-armor", discover an intrinsic weakness in it's constriction, attack you with my Eagle Claw right through your super suit and, essentially, turn you into my own personal finger puppet. :rolleyes:

I've always been of the oppinion that martial artist are tough' date=' powerful and cool in heroic campaigns and the low-powered vigilante streetlevel more-or-less-normal genre - but I was never impressed by [i']Secret King Fu Powers[/i] when somebody next to me could fly, blast laser out of her eye or bench-press a tank.

Fair enough. On the other hand....

You are the most point efficient damage-dealing machine on the field. Work with it.

SPD of 6, OCV around 10-ish, add maneuvers and CSL's to bring that up around 13-15, and even a STR 30 dishes out 10d6 damage just about every attack (with a maneuver that cost you maybe 5 points) - and that's before you add in bonus Martial DC's at 4 points a pop.

Maybe I can't bench press a tank. But I can put my bare fist through it, grab the commander, and pull him back out through the hole before threatening to use him as the Focus for my next Missile Deflect against the big gun. :D So can your average brick, but it's more efficient when the skinny 80 year old does it than the guy who's 10 feet of rock.

Take advantage of advantaged HAs!

Having AoE Selective, or Autofire, or Affects Desolid, or Penetrating, or NND, or Indirect, or whatever else you can come up with, makes you the most versatile damage dealing concept on the planet. Those Martial Arts DCs add to all of your HAs, so get some in a multipower and go to town.

Super Chi powers are not only super cool, they are super versatile!

Seriously.

There are a ton of powers you can use to make 'in concept' abilities. A small VPP, say up to 25pts, will allow you to pull off some amazing feats that will leave your teammates going... "oh man, I wish I could do that..."

Well' date=' I will as long as you don't cry foul when your mighty blow misses by a mile, I analyze your "shiny red power-armor", discover an intrinsic weakness in it's constriction, attack you with my Eagle Claw right through your super suit and, essentially, turn you into my own personal finger puppet. :rolleyes:[/quote']

Lack of Weakness costs 5 points to make any, ANY martial artist sweat - and burn enough time so that I can plaster him with an Area-Attack Big Thing (car etc.) when he already did his Hai-Kai kicking-shouting-analysing on the segment he declared as his phase.

And then I phaze him! How high was your CON you say ...?

Lack of Weakness costs 5 points to make any, ANY martial artist sweat - and burn enough time so that I can plaster him with an Area-Attack Big Thing (car etc.) when he already did his Hai-Kai kicking-shouting-analysing on the segment he declared as his phase.

Really?

I didn't bother with Find Weakness, I have mutliple ways of reaching campaign maximum Damage already - I don't need to find your weakness, I just need to hit you.

Just because everyone expects you to have Find Weakness doesn't mean you have to have it.

Hey, hey hey, KaosMan - stay in your concept and withhin established campaign parameters - If you dish out maximum campiagn damage with max OCV and max DCV, then I got me a nice SPD-booster and a Dex-enhancing gadget, 1 use cont. use 1 turn, getting me a Dex of 33 and SPD 7. And a mechanical Wookie follower.

Who's laughing now, Spinkicker?

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Roter Baron again.

Who's laughing now' date=' Spinkicker?[/quote']

:rofl:

I am laughing now, and I'll have to wait to rep you for it.

...repped....Or any kind of ladder. Then run' date=' run, run very fast.[/quote']

Your MA's worst nightmare? Trying to fight Jackie Chan in a broom closet or the utility storage room.

This may sound a little strange, but if someone is teaching a class in the same MA as your character, you should consider taking it. Or at least one like it if you pick a more exotic MA.

First it teaches you skills that can last a lifetime.

Second it gets you out of the house.

Third, you WILL learn how to your character more effectively. I have a character who used Kendo (Japanese sword fighting) because I was taking a class in Kundo (Korean sword fighting). I surprised the GM a few times by using Disarm a few times because I just learned how to do it in class. Remember OAFs are suppose to be a limitation, use them!

Fourth, as good as the marital arts books are, they are no substitute for the real thing. If you know more about what the MA involves, you can justify buying different powers and more maneuvers. Especially if you can demonstrate them to/on the GM.

You don't need lots of DC's to make an impresion. Some times keeping the bad guy busy is enough, and fun.

An example would be when my MA tried to stop a villian Cyberbrick with jackhammer arms (autofire punches) from robbing a bank first I hit him (8d6)

didn't phase him, Then I kicked him (10d6) maybe 3 stun got through. Finaly I made a slight of hand roll acrobaticly moved behind him an pantsed him.

If I could have hit him with 14d6 he'd have forgotten it within a week, The 55 STR autofire wedgee that resulted when mosdesty was his only goal He will never forget.:eg:

QUOTE=Roter Baron]Lack of Weakness costs 5 points to make any, ANY martial artist sweat - and burn enough time so that I can plaster him with an Area-Attack Big Thing (car etc.) when he already did his Hai-Kai kicking-shouting-analysing on the segment he declared as his phase.

Edit: Assuming, like many armored guys, you've forgotten to buy Lack of Weakness = First story

(Go to the end for a short story WITH LoW)

Oh, you should work on your tactic Tin Can! Didn't you realize that I did that with a held action from 2 on 3 (and I brought your armor down to 50% and still had a 1/2 action left so I do it again on 3 to reduce your Armor to 25% strength)?

When you go on 4 I'm already holding my 4 action... You just pounded a car into where I USED to be standing because I aborted my 4 to Dive for Cover (between your legs, for style) into the hex directly behind you and Breakfall to my feet.

Now it's phase 6 and I Multiple-Power Attack you from behind (Your DCV at 1/2 - Not that I need it) with an (8D6) Eagle Claw Grab on your ham & eggs (vitals) and a Praying Mantis snap-strike to the poor boys (8d6) = (DEF-STUNx1.5/BODYx2)... Oh the imagery!)... Assuming you start with 30PD (which is now 8), on average you'll take 60 STUN by that attack (30 from each): 28STN-8Armor=20(1.5)=30x2=60… Ouch!

Of course, this won’t put you down or even CON STUN you so we proceed to phase 7…. Okay, on phase 8 rinse and repeat for another 60 STN… Or go on the defensive holding 8 for dive/block/dodge and then coming at you on 10 and 12…

All I have is a few MA Maneuvers, Find Weakness, a 6 SPEED, a 30 DEX and a few 3-point MA skill lvls. > Potentially I could deliver 180 STUN (after defenses) to you in one Turn while avoiding everything you can throw.

Obviously, this example is entirely one-sided… But it does display the power even a modest Martial Artist can wield. :)

Oops, I just realized that you have lack of weakness.... guess I'll have to Martial Throw you to the street and ground and pound your head with my 4d6 HKA, Multiple-Attacking with a grab (and control)... the HKA to the head will deliver an average of 70 STN/hit before you apply defenses... And you're prone.;) You're still not impervious to my measley powers... And you better hope I don't have any Chi abilities!:ugly: