The Things I've Learned Playing A Gadgeteer

Dr. Anomaly

Following Bloodstone's example, here's another "what I've learned" thread. And as he said: Please limit yourself to one point at a time.

Fuel Charges are your friend.

• They're a Limitation so they bring the Real Cost down
  • If something switches off your continuous power, the charge isn't completely wasted; you can turn it back on.
  • A one-minute Continuing Fuel Charge gives 60 segments of power, so if you're only a Speed 5, that's 60 Phases or over two minutes of use for you.

Re: The Things I've Learned Playing A Gadgeteer

When you create a Universal Focus that can be used by anyone, and toss it to a team mate in combat, make sure you get it into the hands of your team mate, and not into the hands of an opponent!

(In Dr. Anomaly's case, it was a magical oil, sealed in a glass test tube, that would give the user a +30 STR. He was tossing it to the team brick who was going hand-to-hand with a robot that resembled the ED 209 from Robocop. The tube hit the robot, shattered, and drenched it in the magical oil... :eek: )

Sooner or later, you're going to be caught without your gadgets, or will have an emergancy come up while all your limited-duration devices have exhausted their batteries and you won't have had time to recharge them. If at all possible within character concept, have some kind of useful (and preferably defensive) ability that can't be either taken away [like a device can] or exhausted of power [if the device has charges].

Creating specialized "just in case" gadgets designed to deal with your team mates if they ever go berserk or get mind-controlled won't make you beloved by your team mates.

...but it might make you beloved by the villain who gets his hands on them.

Science Skills are your Dearest Friend.

2 points for an 11-, 3 for Int-Based (and really, shouldn't that be at least a 14- for you?), and buying them instantly justifies making your Gadget Pool (which you really should have) even more versatile.

Using esoteric Science Skills for the "Requires a Skill Roll" Limitation on a device is the next-best thing to unbreachable security, as it's highly unlikely that anyone else will have spent points on that Skill.

On the down side, it will most likely mean your team mates won't be able to use the device if they need too, either.

6d6 NND Sonic Energy Blast (Defense is making an Int-roll)' date=' 1-Turn to Activate, Incantations: 30 points.[/b']

Getting ambushed by Grond and lecturing him into unconsciousness: Priceless.

Hopefully whoever buys this can survive the 1 turn since they were ambushed. ;)

Hopefully whoever buys this can survive the 1 turn since they were ambushed. ;)

Ah, but since it *doesn't* include "Cannot do anything else during activation time" as a modifier, you can always Dodge and Dive for cover until it kicks in - then it's 6d6 every phase until their eyes glaze over and they fall down whimpering about tachy-whatzits. :D

Of course, when you go up against a guy who has Enraged - Berserk: When Bigs Words Used (14-, 8-)....

Run.

Remember, you're only human.

It's easy to forget, while leaping into combat with the mighty alien and armored assault cannon to your left and the amazing android and immortal to your right, that you, my friend, are a simple son of Adam; mere flesh and blood beneath that d3o composite impact suit.

Word to the wise... Let the immortal go first.

When you're carrying a weapon with a +4 STUN modifier, you will run into robots who don't take STUN. When you build a remote hacking device with mental powers targetting "Machine class of minds" the next batch of "robots" you run into turn out to be cyborgs with organic, Human (if now insane) brains inside.

Lucius Alexander

Things I've learned riding a palindromedary:

Even if all you have is a measly 20 pt Variable Power Pool, if you're the only one who can provide equipment for other team-mates, you're elected "The Gadgeteer."

Lucius Alexander

Variable Palindromedary Pool

Buy off "Only change in lab" on a VPP as soon as possible.

By the same token, you don't have to put a Focus Limitation on the Control Cost to put it on a device you create in a pool.

If you have the Focus Lim on the Control cost, and you lose a gadget, you're SOL on those points until you get the gadget back. If you don't put that Lim on the pool's control cost, you can write that gadget off as "lost" (even if it's in someone else's hands) and build a new one.

Being the gadgetteer in the group means that the other players will automatically assume you know how to run any supertech that you run into. To avoid embarrassment, it might be a good idea to actually have those skills.

Being the gadgetteer in the group means that the other players will automatically assume you know how to run any supertech that you run into. To avoid embarrassment' date=' it might be a good idea to actually have those skills.[/b']

or a good acting skill :)