The Things I Learned Playing A Villain...

Marcus Impudite

Re: The Things I Learned Playing A Villain...

Be sure to hire henchmen. Competent Henchmen. And many criminal lawyers to get said Henchmen out of jail. And ALWAYS have a good health plan that includes dental.

Ah, hell. Just read the EVIL OVERLORD"S HANDBOOK, and be done with it.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try not to let the bitterness of one humiliating defeat too many destroy that pitiful warped thing you call your mind like that poor kid with the red plane hanging from his cell in the psycho ward!

Always keep an accurate headcount of your enemies.

Otherwise, capturing the superteam, missing the irritating comic-relief shapeshifter, and somehow getting your tin-can-coated, world-conquering, 'I can level a city with a single blast' tail handed to you on a silver platter by a guy whose best superpower is the ability to turn into a gerbil is both guaranteed, and humiliating.

Bonus points if you keep your headcount by hanging numbered tags from the pikes above your battlements.

Unlike playing a hero where it's quite easy to be lazy and reactive (you know, just wait in your base for some villain to try something and then off you go to stop them), being a villain means actually having to come up with ideas and executing plans to make them happen. Not an easy life being a villain, no siree!

You need contacts when starting out. How are you going to know where the experimental weapon/rare sculpture/enormous diamond is unless someone "in the know" tells you? If it's in the papers, every villain will know about it then it's fight time to get there first! And that can distract you all just long enough for those pesky heroes to turn up!

You need contacts when starting out. How are you going to know where the experimental weapon/rare sculpture/enormous diamond is unless someone "in the know" tells you? If it's in the papers' date=' every villain will know about it then it's fight time to get there first! And that can distract you all [i']just long enough[/i] for those pesky heroes to turn up!

Rather than just reading the paper get magazine subscriptions,science magazines give you info ages before it makes the papers, society magazines give you a better lowdown(perhaps) on which event is worth crashing etc

It gets old after a while

Playing a villain can be a thrill. It's great fun to let loose your inner demons and tear through the authorities like a hot knife through butter, killing every hero that dares get in your way. But, after a while I found that the true challenges I had as a Hero were missing.

As a villain I was able to live by my own rules and change them whenever I felt the need. I didn't kowtow to anyone and made as much money as a king, twice as fast. At crime, I was the best and not even the greatest heroes could keep me pinned down. Even if they caught me legal red tape, illegal procedures and apprehensions and payoffs put me back into operation in less time then it took to change from my civvies back into my villain costume.

Then I got bored. Sure, my GM was great and his adventures a blast, but his hands were often tied by law because he was playing the good guy... Then it hit me! It was LAW and all of the crappy little nuances within its convoluted interpretation that made playing a hero so frustrating... and fun!

When the GM gets to play the villains he has the advantage of total chaos on his side. Whatever he needs to happen in order to craft a great story can and will. On the other hand, a Hero is bound by law and his personal honor code. Those things don’t just go away. They’re steadfast and temper every decision a hero makes. If he chooses to avoid or ignore one or the other serious repercussions will result.

In the end… It’s more challenging to be good, but the payoff of a job well done is worth more than any villain’s bounty.

Sure that seems like a good idea on the surface, but even if it does work how do you know people won't consider you a joke simply because you tried to drown the guy who could breath water?

Also, there's another thing to consider in your plan. How did Jay Garrick gain his superspeed?

Two words. Heavy. Water.

The Things I Learned Playing A Villain...

Rosin is always needed.

Good bow position is paramount.

Those *$#&@ing skinny strings will tear your finger tips if you don't build good calluses

It's a bloody difficult instrument to play.

What?

Sure that seems like a good idea on the surface' date=' but even if it does work how do you know people won't consider you a joke simply because you tried to drown the guy who could breath water?[/quote']If it does work, you are the villain who SUCCESSFULLY drowned the guy that could breathe water.:smoke:

If it does work' date=' you are the villain who SUCCESSFULLY drowned the guy that could breathe water.:smoke:[/quote']

Or the guy who's heavy water gave Aquaman superspeed, as heavy water did to Jay Garrick once upon a time, thus resulting in a hellacious tail kicking.

Or the guy who's heavy water gave Aquaman superspeed' date=' as heavy water did to Jay Garrick once upon a time, thus resulting in a hellacious tail kicking.[/quote']One otherwise ordinary individual gained superspeed powers from the vapours from an experimental form of hard/heavy water, which he inhaled throughout a long period while he lay uncoscious on the floor, all night. No other individual since the 1940's incident has even gained superspeed from heavy water.

If you are going to assume that one person gaining superpowers from exposure to an exotic substance will result in same in another from a single statistical anomaly (albiet, something that does happen on rare occasions in comic books), please make sure you are aware of as many of the factors involved as possible.

Now, that being said, you're correct that if doing this DID give Aquaman superspeed, you'll be laughed at. But what are the odds?