When a PC screws up, What next?

NightStick

Okay, What happens next?

In the Weekend Warriors campaign that I am in, My character - Sweeper, just pulled a real doozy. I won't say that it will stop the campaign, BUT, it will definitely change the course of the campaigns short term future.

I want to know what the rest of "you" out there would do....

For the details of the the gaff, refer to the campaign log of the Weekend Warriors.

When it gets posted - Should be with-in a week or so...

Would any of you...

A) Pretend that nothing out of the ordinary happened, and carry on as "normal".

B) Finish off the character with ritualist "sepuku"(?) and start fresh.

C) Try to use this as the characters' learing curve; afterall, he is fairly young, and roleplay out of the mess.

D) Have the character "melt" in to the background and stir as few waves as possible until this all blows over.

E) Actually have the character go into hiatus for awhile.

F) Carry on, knowing full well that he now has several new hunted 11<.

G) Spend the next few sessions preparing another Deep Cover, and just roll with it.

H) Fill in the blank yourself

I really would like to know.:doi:

Re: When a PC screws up, What next?

For the details of the the gaff' date=' refer to the campaign log of the Weekend Warriors.[/quote']

The entry for last night's game hasn't been posted yet and it may be a week, or so, before it is.

Would any of you...

A) Pretend that nothing out of the ordinary happened, and carry on as "normal".

B) Finish off the character with ritualist "sepuku"(?) and start fresh.

C) Try to use this as the characters' learing curve; afterall, he is fairly young, and roleplay out of the mess.

D) Have the character "melt" in to the background and stir as few waves as possible until this all blows over.

E) Actually have the character go into hiatus for awhile.

F) Carry on, knowing full well that he now has several new hunted 11<.

G) Spend the next few sessions preparing another Deep Cover, and just roll with it.

H) Fill in the blank yourself

I really would like to know.:doi:

You are taking what happened last night a bit harder than I think you need to. I know you felt a little bumed-out about how things transpired but it may not be all that bad. Your character ain't ruined and the campaign ain't derailed. Relax, take a deep breath. Things will work out better than you suspect.

You know we all make strategic errors on occassion.

Quick Examples

Duncan and I made sure to leave a forwarding address for Retro

The Doc sensationalistically blew his identity

And the number of fantasy fopahs is too long to list.

The point is that stuff happens ~ that is why playing in the game is fun. It would not be fun if everything went our way 100% of the time. Relax, as Edsel said, take a deep breath - your butler is still alive and you don't have to tranqualize your fiance.

I had a good time last night and it wasn't cause we kicked some impromptu tail near the end.

Thank You both, what you said is very reassuring, BUT until the freshness of the incident wears off, its still a wee bit touchy!:(

B-T-W I have another option....

I) The PC takes a few sessions off.

Probably not going to happen, but still a response.:rolleyes:

What was the screw-up ?

Can't you just give a one-paragraph explanation ?

In summary, What the kid did was to "grant" a one on one interview with a reporter who Sweeper had saved his folks from some muggers earlier in the campaign. In telling his story, he got hung up on himself, and forgot about the rest of the team. One character plays a very PARANOID gun bunny, who wanted to pack his bags and leave town immediately. Another character while recovering from severe trauma to his head, rejoins the (previously anonymous) group, only to find that they are now "a thing". The third person, who has been working behind the scenes to infiltrate the baddies, (for the last several sessions) and is the newest face in their crowd, just found out that the baddies have been played for dupes by someone. Guess who the finger points to?

Not to mention, that several of the answers, while not being specific, were laying a valid path for the FBI or the Torccones to follow to his own door step.

:doi:

OOOOOOPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSS!

What was the screw-up ?

Can't you just give a one-paragraph explanation ?

1. He gave an interview in a Vigilante game that exposed some of his background ~ enough that his identity could likely be discovered by some through digging.

2. He gave away information that will make it much too hot for my character to continue his undercover investigation of El Azteca. This may have happened without his help anyways. We put some heat on Los Toros.

3. He implied that he has friends on the police force which is sure to ramp up some heat on us.

4. He admitted to the premeditated murder of 10 people. Including a little dismemberment.

Now, all of that may sound bad but it actually isn't all that earth shattering. All of the players in the game have more or less pulled a "bonehead" maneuver at times. Most of us blush and cringe with the thought of hearing the story years later but Nightstick seemed to get bugged by it. It really is nothing ~ not to trivialize his feelings but it was all in character "hardship" and not out of character strife. The character hasn't even got to deal with the teams anger yet, this is more about the player feeling sheepish (lord knows I have felt dumb a time or two when my perfect plan failed to survive contact with the enemy. When you play ultra hush-hush vigilante executioner style games in the vein of Delta Green, it is gonna happen. Brain fatigue, conspiracy theory ennui, black ops fugue. Call it what you want but we all make in game mistakes that seem obvious in hindsight.).

OK, that doesn't seem too insurmountable.

When I've GMed, I've cut players slack on honest mistakes (especially ones that

are out of character and might send the campaign into a tailspin). I'd downplay some of the effects of this and maybe your GM will too.

I'm gathering that the reporter has already printed the story.

Maybe this is something that the team can somehow turn to their advantage ?

Also, in the campaign log, it said that the reporter was a contact of yours (you'd saved his life). If he's an actual contact (you've spent points on him), he probably shouldn't be causing you headaches like this. Sounds more like a DNPC to me.

have the reporter pull a Ben Urich and keep some of the information back from his report(mostly stuff that is a major crime) he would also not reveal the evidence that would establish identity or the incriminating stuff about the police.

I assume there would be enough for a story even with out that now sweeper has a useful contact with lots of contacts of his own who owes him (even if he does know sweepers true identity)

There are several ways outta this type of mess, especially if the GM is inclined to be lenient:

1) The reporter doesn't reveal all and/or subtlely alters some of the info from his interview. (Perhaps he's a costumed crimefighter himself, or wants another interview when Streetsweeper and the gang are more famous. Or maybe his mom/kid sister/wife were attacked/killed by gang members and said reporter really likes the team's body count. In our our DC campaign, one of our heroes stopped a female Asst. DA from being murdered and now that ADA is a Contact who feeds the hero info.)

2) The bad guys are too dumb to read the paper or to make the connection.

3) The reporter has such a poor rep everyone assumes he made it all up in the first place

Fear not!

Ben Urich is an investigative journalist who has done iographies and stories on Superheroes and Vigilantes. He has discovered their Secret Identies, but has not revealed them to the public.

Perhaps the Journalist may suppress the interview until a later date? Who knows?

QM

P.S.: Link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Urich

Perhaps the Journalist may suppress the interview until a later date? Who knows?[/url]

I wish that this could be the case......However, as it was part of the session that we all read the morning paper....I doubt that the GM (Edsel) would be willing to be that lenient. As he would say "...that is cannon..." and cannot be changed.

I should have been more descriptive in my original post, but that sound that you get pulling your head out of your _ss was still ringing in my ears.:o

:eg:

As he would say "...that is cannon..." and cannot be changed.

Actually I would have used the term "canon." Since the event has already happened... A cannon is something your enemies might come hunting you with.:winkgrin:

The interview had already been typed up and was distributed as a prop to the players. As a result it is too late for it to be taken back. It was used in the game and so it stands. However, you won't have to worry about the reporter ratting you out if investigators come to talk to him. He already feels indebted to you and is a strong advocate of keeping his sources secret.

I have got to try and get to work on typing up this session's entry in the campaign log.

Actually I would have used the term "canon." Since the event has already happened... A cannon is something your enemies might come hunting you with.:winkgrin:

With Sweepers luck lately, there just might be one (a cannon that is) coming after him.:o

Man, I'm just full of them lately!:hush:

Mistakes that is.....:whistle:

:smoke:

In summary' date=' What the kid did was to "grant" a one on one interview with a reporter who Sweeper had saved his folks from some muggers earlier in the campaign. In telling his story, he got hung up on himself, and forgot about the rest of the team. One character plays a very [i']PARANOID[/i] gun bunny, who wanted to pack his bags and leave town immediately. Another character while recovering from severe trauma to his head, rejoins the (previously anonymous) group, only to find that they are now "a thing". The third person, who has been working behind the scenes to infiltrate the baddies, (for the last several sessions) and is the newest face in their crowd, just found out that the baddies have been played for dupes by someone. Guess who the finger points to?

Not to mention, that several of the answers, while not being specific, were laying a valid path for the FBI or the Torccones to follow to his own door step.

:doi:

OOOOOOPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Yeah, I'd say that qualifies as a "Whoopsi-doodle." ;) But it's hardly the end of the world as we (you) know it. If the GM and your fellow players don't think it's as bad as all that, there's no need to keep beating yourself up over it. If that's the dumbest mistake you've ever made in a game, you're a way better player than me. :)

My advice would be to look at it as a great roleplaying opportunity. Say your Mea Culpas, take your medicine, try to learn from your mistakes, etc. Hey, the sepuku/Deep Cover options are always there if you need them later. :D

Not to bring up the topic of a million threads, but,

"What would your character do?"

I don't mean that as an invitation for everyone else to post what their favorite character would do in this situation.

What I mean is:

NightStick : What would your character do to fix this?

He got a bit too talky with a reporter and let out some secrets, both for himself and the team.

How would he fix this?

Is he the type to lean on the reporter to print a retraction?

(That doesn't really sound like it would work in this case, but is that what he would do?)

Is he sneaky enough to figure a way to turn this to his advantage?

(Make the bad guys think the story is a fabrication designed to lead them into a trap.

Make the authorities think that a 'duped' reporter is helping your character by establishing a 'fake' background story that will lead them on a wild goose chase.

In the paranoid world of Dark Champions all you would have to do is be 'accidentally' observed near the reporter a few times to have everyone thinking it is some kind of a set-up.)

Is he clueless enough that he would be annoyed at the team for calling him on his behavior?

You made the mistake in character, react to it in character.

You could even add depth to your character by pulling a "Batman", revealing in the future that it wasn't a mistake at all, but actually was part of some elaborate plan to bring down some major threat, but that they didn't 'need to know' at the time you did it.

KA.

I remember a DC game where my character made a potentially fatal leap of logic, whereby he believed the team's disguise master was coming to visit him and ended up inviting an undead assassin into his hospital room where he was recovering from injuries sustained in the previous battle.

After the mook nearly beheaded me in one swing of his mystical sword as I sat up in my bed, we proceded to have a near fisticuffs type melee where neither of us could hit the other (Me being able to play invisible with my mental illusions and he being to fast for me to hit)

After the GM made me take an INT roll I threw open the curtains in my room and was able to make a grab on his trench coat, exposing him to sunlight. He recoiled and ran through the closed door (apparently he had 2x stun and 2x body vulnerability to sun and a bezerk when exposed to bright light).

While he was making towards the nearest stairwell, his undead flesh burning, I limped after, buttcheeks hanging out of my hospital gown and at 50% stun from the night before. As he was screaming down the stairs I did a full move through body check onto him knocking us both down to the next landing and into lala land.

I happened to recover first, and I grabbed the mystical sword from his limp hand and finished him off. His body burst into flames and set off the fire alarm, plus the hospital security was already hot on my trail. Luckily I had recovered enough END to perform another vanishing trick, but the damage was already done.

I earned a few more hunteds, brought public scrutiny into a monster hunter campaign where we were all supposed to be incognito and pissed off the GM who spent hours creating that character (who I guess was supposed to be recurring), and to top it all off I had a mystical sword that he had to build stats for cuz I wasn't supposed to have it in the first place.

The GM fixed it so other buddies of the undead assassin honed in on the sword, making it real hard for the team to stay hidden. Eventually it got swiped by one of them and the campaign seemed to have unbroken itself after 8 sessions of wall to wall combat between us.

With several days to massage the events of this past Faux Pau, I do believe that Sweeper will simply switch his Deep Cover to keep his but out of the Federal Penn.:o

This is of course, depending on the rest of the team. Providing that he lives through the next few raids that they are pulling off.:P

Now the fun begins.....:hush:

• 2 weeks later...

Oroborous-

That's an AWESOME story.

Your GM should have been grateful.

I'm with Manic on this one. That GM owed you huge for such a great series of events. You just can't plan that kinda stuff!

- Vassoom