Quick Hero

CourtFool

I am great at coming up with ideas. I am terrible at finishing them. In that vein I am offering up what I started with Quick Hero.

My idea behind Quick Hero was to put together a document that would allow someone to throw together a character in minutes. This would be a document that would provide options for people that are familiar with fantasy role playing. Ideally, this would be an aid to bring Hero to the unwashed masses of The Game Which Shall Not Be Mentioned.

What I had hoped to do with this document was to run 'pick up' games online. Find a couple of interested players, let them make a few selections and get right into the meat of a game.

This document is far from finished. I fear I will never finish it. It still needs spells created. The magic system needs to be defined. I just thought there might be an off chance that someone might find something of use in it. That is the reason I am offering it up. Do with it as you may.

Re: Quick Hero

I wasn't able to get the pdf open on my first try. I'll try again later as I'd like to see how you've approached this.

I tried this in the past (4th ed.) using a bunch of package deals. Essentially the player chose a racial package and a 'class' package and that spent most of their points, including characteristics. Multi-classing was done by having 'light' versions of the class packages and allowing the character to choose two of them.

I never actually required the purchasing of the class packages and after the players became more accustomed to the Hero System they stopped being used in their entirety. Since moving my game to 5th ed I haven't redone the packages as there hasn't been a demand yet.

What might be really cool is if you formatted the different sections to match the appropriate part of the character sheet. It would then be a simple matter to copy the appropriate text onto that part of the sheet, or even print out and tape together to make a coherent sheet.

Need to spell out the costs of the racial packages.

Need to come up with similar 'packages' for disadvantages.

Probably need to add in more spells, the selection is pretty minimal.

This is a brilliant idea.

I agree completely. I find myself a compulsive gamer and often hanging around in chat at Hero Central. If this was completed, I could see people having pick-up Hero games. (Which was something I did often before I was indoctrinized, but not so much now.)

That's pretty cool, Llama. You could easily make a Hero character in 10 minutes now (and even customize it based on what a player might want). I'd add in a few custom "feats" (use the talents list from Fred and Fantasy Hero) so they'll feel their characters are even more heroic and larger-than-life. :thumbup:

What might be really cool is if you formatted the different sections to match the appropriate part of the character sheet.

I will give this some thought. I assume you are referring to the official character sheet.

Need to spell out the costs of the racial packages.

This would be easy enough to do. I intentionally left out the cost of everything for two reasons. One, I thought it would be less confusing; fewer numbers for people to ask questions about. Two, not everything came out costing exactly the same. I did not want power gamers taking the more expensive packages every time.

That being said, it might generate interest in what 'point buy' really means. With more work, I might be able to get the cost to match up exactly.

Need to come up with similar 'packages' for disadvantages.

I had left Disadvantages off because this is often a foreign and frightening concept for players of The Game Which Shall Not Be Mentioned. Additionally, Psychological Limitations are pointless since the players would simply ignore them when they are inconvenient. At least that has been my experience.

Probably need to add in more spells' date=' the selection is pretty minimal.[/quote']

Agreed. This was my main obstacle. I have not decided on a magic system yet. I am very surprised at the positive response I have received. This has encouraged me to continue this project. The fact that this may even warrant a nod from Digital Hero suggests to me that I should consider the divide by 3 magic system so that this can easily be plugged into The Turakian Age.

Thank you very much for your feedback.

I'd add in a few custom "feats" (use the talents list from Fred and Fantasy Hero) so they'll feel their characters are even more heroic and larger-than-life.

I do not want to go anywhere near copyright material, but I could certainly come up with some new ones to add in.

Thanks for the feedback.

I wasn't able to get the pdf open on my first try. I'll try again later as I'd like to see how you've approached this.

Multi-classing was done by having 'light' versions of the class packages and allowing the character to choose two of them.

Let me know if you continue to have problems. I could e-mail you a copy.

I never considered multi-classing. That is definitely an interestesing idea. It would require some re-writing as there is already some over-lap. It has always been my opinion that every adventurer should have Stealth.

Thank you for your feedback.

I like it. In fact, it might have been useful for my players back when they were creating characters for my current campaign.

I did have a few minor comments, though:

First, you state "The upper limits for humans...is 20." Strictly speaking, this isn't true since I believe 30 is the upper limit. 20 is just the standard NCM threshold. Doesn't impact anything else in the document, of course, but I just didn't want players to get the wrong idea.

Second, on the skills, you give fixed numbers, but obviously these can vary based on the Char values chosen. Without some variation, a player may wonder why the characteristics matter, e.g., why pick Smart stats if the higher INT isn't going to impact anything. You might want to express skills as a base number modified by the appropriate attribute.

Third, on the spells, you may want to summarize them as you did with the weapons. Or at least provide a simple reference header before each spell that clearly lays out END cost, time to cast, duration, area of effect - basically all the things a d20 player would look for. You can get that from the spell build, of course, but this is targetted at people unfamiliar with Hero.

Overall, though, it's quite cool and could be very useful. :thumbup:

Nice work, O Llama! Maybe the 'Swift' stat list should have a SPD of 4 to emphasize to newbies one of the more original mechanics of the HERO system (for better or worse). That blank space right next to the Char table would fit a SPD chart nicely.

This reminds me of how 1st Ed DnD was broken down. Very simple, almost more emphasis on the character than those pesky stats. "I'm going to be a Strong Dwarf Warrior!" [i speak of the pre-munchkin, pre-powergamer days.]

Keep up the good work, thou shalt be rep't.

This document is far from finished. I fear I will never finish it. It still needs spells created. The magic system needs to be defined. I just thought there might be an off chance that someone might find something of use in it. That is the reason I am offering it up. Do with it as you may.

Over on my Spell Search Thread I mentioned that I created a searchable online database for Fantasy Hero Spells (or any spell system really :) ). The direct link is Here. I am adding in Killer Shrike's spells as well. I am far from finished, but this may be a good resource (when it has more to it) for this type of thing. Also, I suggest looking at Killer Shrike's Magic Systems, it may help.

Cheers

:cheers:

So how do wizards pay for spells, or do they just have to make a skill roll and that's it? If that's the case, how do they get better spells, etc?

Neat idea though. I did something similar with my players, but emphasized that each item was optional. I created "how you fight" and "background" packages and had them pick one of each.

I'd also like to suggest that you use Steve's 1/3rd Real Cost rule on spells, and allow people to buy the skills to cast (Invocation, Conjuration, etc.) and then build spells within various groups, set up enough of them in Arcane/Hermetic and Divine/Shamanistic, etc. across a wide enough range to simulate levels, and you'll be good to go.

So how do wizards pay for spells, or do they just have to make a skill roll and that's it? If that's the case, how do they get better spells, etc?

Neat idea though. I did something similar with my players, but emphasized that each item was optional. I created "how you fight" and "background" packages and had them pick one of each.

It's all explained in the Fantasy Hero book. I recommend having a look at it - it's invaluable.

So how do wizards pay for spells' date=' or do they just have to make a skill roll and that's it?[/quote']

At the time I was working on the spells I was toying with the idea that Mages would buy a skill for each college and the skill level would determine how many spells they would know. I was never happy with any of the systems/builds that I came up with. Now I think it would be best to abandon that idea all together and go with the divide by 3 method.

I have the utmost respect for KillerShrike and love many of his spell systems. However, many of them are rather complex and I would like to keep this as simple as possible.

Looking at it, I think you're writing it for people who are used to D&D. This isn't a good thing or a bad thing, but saying things like "strength does not provide a bonus to the target" is better left unsaid if you're appealing to generalists.

Although this wouldn't be a bad idea, would it? There's Sidekick for knocking HERO down to it's bare essentials but it wouldn't hurt to put out 32 page, Genre-specific "quick play guides..."

Hmmm....

-- Brian.