Playing cards as offensive weapons...

Samuraiko

I don't know if this is in the right place, so I fully endorse it getting moved if needs be.

What I want to know is this:

1a) how far can the AVERAGE Joe Normal throw a playing card? (this does NOT mean an acid-tipped, steel-edged, hyperdimensional playing card, by the way - I mean the normal everyday boring kind)

1b) how accurately can said average Joe Normal throw said card?

2) how far/accurately can a person with a 12 STR and a 17 DEX throw said card?

3) how much damage could said card do, thrown from the hands of the person in question #2?

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

Re: Playing cards as offensive weapons...

I don't know if this is in the right place, so I fully endorse it getting moved if needs be.

What I want to know is this:

1a) how far can the AVERAGE Joe Normal throw a playing card? (this does NOT mean an acid-tipped, steel-edged, hyperdimensional playing card, by the way - I mean the normal everyday boring kind)

1b) how accurately can said average Joe Normal throw said card?

2) how far/accurately can a person with a 12 STR and a 17 DEX throw said card?

3) how much damage could said card do, thrown from the hands of the person in question #2?

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

1a. I'd say about 10-15'.

1b. Not very ,,, they start spinning, then bank in unpredictable directions in my experience.

2. Probably not much further or more accurately ... the card just sucks in terms of flight dynamics.

3. A pip of Stun, Normal, if THAT much. At best, you'll hit someone in the eye and blind them momentarily.

IMHO. :)

If you can find episodes of the Mythbusters, they tested the Myth of the Deadly Card Thrower. Adam (one of the hosts) could throw it around 15 feet, hitting a cube of ballistic gel about 1.5 feet on the side, and once had the card stick in the gel. The equivalent of a paper cut basically.

Note: This is all wrttien from memory, I may have gotten some of the facts a little off. :)

Also showing up on this episode is a card throwing champ (or something). I think he held the distance record. The title to the episode was "Exploding Jawbreaker".

Hope this helps.

Also showing up on this episode is a card throwing champ (or something). I think he held the distance record. The title to the episode was "Exploding Jawbreaker".

Ricky Jay, the guy who played Captain Amazing's publicist in "Mystery Men". He's a former stage magician.

According to a Google search, his record is throwing a card 190 feet at 90 miles per hour.

as a bit of trivia...

The material of the card makes a big difference.

I was bored one evening and happened to have the smartcard key to the hotel I had stayed in on a trip in my pocket. It was basically an oversized, smooth surfaced credit card. I'm good at throwing cards. It flew about twice as far as aplaying card wth a fair degre of accuracy, and I was able to stick it a couple of times in the cardboard box I was using as a target.

Still not what I'd call an effective weapon, but it illustrated rather well the difference adding just a bit of weight and extra rigidity makes.

Ricky Jay, the guy who played Captain Amazing's publicist in "Mystery Men". He's a former stage magician.

According to a Google search, his record is throwing a card 190 feet at 90 miles per hour.

Cool...

Yeah, the idea is not so much that my character will be throwing them to inflict damage, but more a matter of a nifty way to range a spell that has to have contact with another person.

Make a card appear out of thin air and throw it at the target - when the card connects, the Power related to said card goes off.

Hence I was more concerned with accuracy than with damage, but knowing damage is always fun, too. :)

Once I get the character approved, I'll post it on here - her Multipower Framework is... unique, to say the least.

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

the idea is not so much that my character will be throwing them to inflict damage, but more a matter of a nifty way to range a spell that has to have contact with another person.

Make a card appear out of thin air and throw it at the target - when the card connects, the Power related to said card goes off.

Sounds like playing cards are just special effects of the spells you want to launch. You may want to just buy the spells with Range Based on STR and be done with it.

Even still' date=' a playing card going 90 MPH probably isn't going to hurt at all.[/quote']

I just got that MythBusters episode on DVD, and they managed to get a card up to 150 MPH with a mechanical thrower. Jamie winced when he got hit, and technically they managed to draw blood, but it ain't a workable weapon.

I'd go with Utech and just call the card SFX for Range Based On STR.

Yeah, human beings are too tough. Now produce is another matter. Poker star Chris "Jesus" Ferguson has been known to cut various fruits and vegetables in half at a range of around 10-15 feet with playing cards.

Once I get the character approved, I'll post it on here - her Multipower Framework is... unique, to say the least.

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

Please do, I've been toying with the idea of Edmond Hoyle as a super myself...

All you really need is the boards friendly export format, which is available on the Hero Designer sight.

For convenience, I am putting the link here. I believe you have to have an account, but I think there also was a version of this in the Free Stuff area.

Basically, this will create a text file (which is viewable in your favorite text editor). Then, just cut out the section for the multipower itself (should be easy enough to find) and paste into the forum editing window.

Hope this helps!

Can't wait to see a "unique multipower"! :bounce:

Here it is... You'll notice that 1) all of the powers are Ultras, and 2) all of them have a Burnout roll (although that varies per power, we wanted to simulate the idea that channeling some were more difficult than others... still need to work with DustRaven because one or two of the powers went weird thanks to HD, but the rough idea is as follows (for them's that want her whole history and stats and such, drop me a line and I'll send you the character):

CHARACTER: TAROT

Cost Power

62 Major Arcana: Multipower, 62-point reserve

5u 1) The Fool: Drain INT 5d6, Limited Range (+1/4); Activation Roll 14-, Burnout (-1/4)

3u 2) The Magician: Aid Magical Powers 1 1/2d6, Can Add Maximum Of 17 Points, Limited Range (+1/4), all magical powers simultaneously (+2); Activation Roll 11-, Burnout (-3/4), Limited Power Only boosts learned (not-inherent) magical talents (-1/2)

2u 3) The High Priestess: Precognitive, Retrocognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group); Precognition/Retrocognition Only (-1), Time Modifiers (-1/2), Vague and Unclear (-1/2), Activation Roll 13-, Burnout (-1/2)

4u 4) The Empress: Aid EGO, INT, or PRE 3 1/2d6, Limited Range (+1/4), Usable Simultaneously (up to 2 people at once; +1/2); Activation Roll 13-, Burnout (-1/2)

3u 5) The Emperor: Aid STR, DEX, or CON 3 1/2d6, Limited Range (+1/4), Usable Simultaneously (up to 2 people at once; +1/2); Activation Roll 12-, Burnout (-3/4)

3u 6) The Hierophant: Mind Control 10d6 (Human class of minds), Telepathic (+1/4); Activation Roll 11-, Burnout (-3/4)

3u 7) The Lovers: Mind Control 12d6 (Human class of minds); Activation Roll 12-, Burnout (-3/4), Set Effect ("Protect/Aid Me"; -1/2)

5u 8) The Chariot: Teleportation 20", x2 Increased Mass, x4 Noncombat, Safe Blind Teleport (+1/4); Activation Roll 14-, Burnout (-1/4)

4u 9) Strength: Aid INT, EGO, and PRE 2 1/2d6, Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Side Effect only affects the recipient of the benefits of the Power; Equivalent Decrease of CON, DEX, and STR; +0), Usable By Other (+1/4), Limited Range (+1/4), [three powers] simultaneously (+1); Activation Roll 12-, Burnout (-1/2)

1u 10) The Hermit: Extra-Dimensional Movement (Single Dimension (to dimension where time does not pass)), Limited Range (+1/4), Usable As Attack (+1); Side Effects (Power rebounds on self; -1), Activation Roll 11-, Burnout (-3/4), Requires An EGO Roll (-3/4)

1u 11) Wheel of Fortune: Luck 3d6, Usable By Other (+1/4), Limited Range (+1/4); Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Side Effect only affects the recipient of the benefits of the Power; Recipient gains equivalent number of levels of Unluck; -4 1/2), Activation Roll 14-, Burnout (-1/4)

3u 12) Justice: Transfer 2d6 (One primary Characteristic to same primary Characteristic), Can Transfer Maximum Of 23 Points, from any [special effect] power one at a time (+1/4), Variable Effect (To) to any [special effect] power one at a time (+1/4), Limited Range (+1/4); Limited Power Can only transfer enough to make two attributes equal (-1/2), Activation Roll 14-, Burnout (-1/4)

4u 13) The Hanged Man: Drain SPD 5d6, Limited Range (+1/4); Activation Roll 13-, Burnout (-1/2)

3u 14) Death: Killing Attack - Ranged 4d6; Activation Roll 11-, Burnout (-3/4), Limited Range (-1/4)

4u 15) Temperance: Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), Missile Reflection, Adjacent Hex (+1/2); Activation Roll 14-, Burnout (-1/4)

3u 16) The Devil: Mind Control 12d6; Activation Roll 12-, Burnout (-3/4), Set Effect ("Take the path of least resistance"; -1/2)

2u 17) The Tower: Energy Blast 7d6, Explosion (+1/4), Personal Immunity (+1/4); Activation Roll 11-, Burnout (-3/4), Limited Range (-1/4), Only affects targets on the ground (-1/4)

3u 18) The Star: Aid PRE 4d6, Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Minute; +1/4), Limited Range (+1/4); Limited Power Only to resist PRE attacks (-1), Activation Roll 14-, Burnout (-1/4)

3u 19) The Moon: Mental Illusions 12d6 (Human class of minds); Activation Roll 12-, Burnout (-3/4), Limited Range (-1/4)

4u 20) The Sun: Energy Blast 8d6; Activation Roll 11-, Burnout (-3/4), Limited Range (-1/4) plus Sight Group Flash 4d6; Limited Range (-1/4)

4u 21) Judgment: Minor Transform 5d6 (Person into Person with Psych Lim: Remorse for Doing Proscribed Action (Total), Time), Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset; Person performs proscribed action; +1/4); Activation Roll 14-, Burnout (-1/4), Limited Range (-1/4)

3u 22) The World: Healing BODY, STUN and END 3d6, Usable By Other (+1/4), Custom Modifier ([Three powers] restored simultaneously; +3/4); Activation Roll 11-, Burnout (-3/4)

(What else would you have expected from someone who's been using tarot decks since she was fourteen?)

Enjoy!

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

Very nice!

Here's a glimpse of the one I was working on... mind you I am looking at a set of playing cards, not specifically Tarot ;)

30 This guy can do magic with a set of cards...: Multipower, 60-point reserve, all slots 4 clips of 13 Charges (+0) (60 Active Points); all slots OIF (Cards of Opportuunity; -½), Requires A Gambling Roll (-½)

2u 1) To Tell the Future: Precognitive Clairsentience (Sight And Hearing Groups), x2 Range (550"), Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees) (60 Active Points); Precognition Only (-1), OIF (Cards of Opportuunity; -½), Requires A Gambling Roll (-½) 0

2u 2) A Flurry of Cards: Darkness to Sight and Hearing Groups 4" radius, Personal Immunity (+¼) (56 Active Points); No Range (-½), OIF (Cards of Opportuunity; -½), Requires A Gambling Roll (-½) 0

2u 3) Dispel Magic 16d6, any Magic power one at a time (+¼) (60 Active Points); OIF (Cards of Opportuunity; -½), Requires A Gambling Roll (-½), Can Be Missile Deflected (-¼), Range Based On STR (-¼) 0

2u 4) Nothing up my sleeve...: Extra-Dimensional Movement (Single Dimension [my pocket dimension]), Usable As Attack (x2 maximum weight per inanimate target; +1 ¼) (45 Active Points); OIF (Cards of Opportuunity; -½), Requires A Gambling Roll (-½) 0

3u 5) Wall of Cards...: FW (14 PD/6 ED; 6" long and 1" tall) (60 Active Points); OIF (Cards of Opportuunity; -½), Requires A Gambling Roll (-½) 0

3u 6) Card Sharps...: HKA 4d6 (5d6 w/STR) (60 Active Points); OIF (Cards of Opportuunity; -½), Requires A Gambling Roll (-½) 0

3u 7) Magic Blast: RKA 4d6 (60 Active Points); OIF (Cards of Opportuunity; -½), Requires A Gambling Roll (-½), Range Based On STR (-¼) 0

3u 8) Card Blast: EB 12d6 (60 Active Points); OIF (Cards of Opportuunity; -½), Requires A Gambling Roll (-½), Range Based On STR (-¼) 0

3u 9) Card Blast II: EB 5d6, Area Of Effect (3" Radius; +1), Selective (+¼) (56 Active Points); OIF (Cards of Opportuunity; -½), Requires A Gambling Roll (-½) 0

3u 10) Hypnotic Effects: Mind Control 12d6 (Human class of minds) (60 Active Points); OIF (Cards of Opportuunity; -½), Requires A Gambling Roll (-½), Range Based On STR (-¼) 0

3u 11) The hand is quicker than the eye...: Mental Illusions 12d6 (Human class of minds) (60 Active Points); OIF (Cards of Opportuunity; -½), Requires A Gambling Roll (-½), Range Based On STR (-¼) 0

2u 12) Here, and back again...: Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), Missile Reflection, Reflect At Any Target (50 Active Points); OIF (Cards of Opportuunity; -½), Requires A Gambling Roll (-½) 0

3u 13) Distractions: (Total: 56 Active Cost, 27 Real Cost) Negative Combat Skill Levels (-4 to opponent's OCV), Range Based On STR (+¼) (25 Active Points); OIF (Cards of Opportuunity; -½), Requires A Gambling Roll (-½) (Real Cost: 12) plus Negative Combat Skill Levels (-4 to opponent's DCV), Range Based On STR (+¼) (25 Active Points); OIF (Cards of Opportuunity; -½), Requires A Gambling Roll (-½) (Real Cost: 12) plus Negative Skill Levels (-1 with Intellect Skills), Range Based On STR (+¼) (6 Active Points); OIF (Cards of Opportuunity; -½), Requires A Gambling Roll (-½) (Real Cost: 3) 0

3u 14) The deck knows many things...: Mind Scan 10d6 (Human class of minds), +5 ECV (60 Active Points); OIF (Cards of Opportuunity; -½), Requires A Gambling Roll (-½)

I've actually seen a character with a Multipower based on a deck of poker cards. A 54 slot multipower, each with one charge. Every slot different, random determination of slot done by using a real deck of playing cards as a prop.

That was one long-*** character sheet.

Kinda limits the usefulness of the character as a hero though, no?

"What's the *deal* here?" says Cardman as he whips out a card to smite the antagonist with... [picks a card]

Player: "Ahh... Aid STUN, huh? Yeah... uh guys... I think we may be in trouble here..."

Kinda limits the usefulness of the character as a hero though, no?

"What's the *deal* here?" says Cardman as he whips out a card to smite the antagonist with... [picks a card]

Player: "Ahh... Aid STUN, huh? Yeah... uh guys... I think we may be in trouble here..."

By the time all was said and done, the game wound up being far more comedic than anybody had actually intended from the getgo. I'm fairly certain all the cards were attacks, though, so the biggest fear was Explosions or AE attacks hitting teammates.

I've actually seen a character with a Multipower based on a deck of poker cards. A 54 slot multipower, each with one charge. Every slot different, random determination of slot done by using a real deck of playing cards as a prop.

That was one long-*** character sheet.

Well, I have a villain I love to use. Jack of Spades. Same schtick. However, I limited things somewhat. He's only got about 15 slots. Aces do one thing, 7s another...and a couple of special cards (eg Jack of Spades). The problem with having 52 slots is that you either repeat slots or only get 1 charge per deck. That seems rather limited in its utility.

Yeah, the next step is figuring out the Minor Arcana... oy... a 78-slot multipower.

My brain hurts just thinking about it.

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

PS - is there someplace other than Hero System Discussion that frameworks like this are shared?

The current World Record Holder for throwing cards is Rick Smith, Jr.: 216 feet 4 inches for distance. Accuracy at upu to ninety feet, and he slices through fruits and veggies. I've seen him on TV twice now, and it's pretty incredible to watch.

And personally, I'd love to see a 52 slot random Multipower :thumbup: