[Storytime] Birth of RAVEN

Lord Liaden

Re: [storytime] Birth of RAVEN

Riptide is the only water-themed villainess I can think of off-hand.

Menagarie has a shark form, doesn't she?

I think there are probably a few other ocean capable villains around. Of course, a lot of them would probably be outclassed by Atlanteans on their home turf. But then, the standard Atlantean package isn't all that tough.

Lord L's mind control suggestion is good. This could work either by itself or in conjunction with other approaches.

Zorran might be able to dig up some Lemurian constructs.

Stingray might be able to win some support from outlying Atlantean settlements.

RAVEN could probably provide some submarines. While slow and clumsy, they could carry heavy weapons, which would be useful.

Teleios could provide suitably adapted troops.

If RAVEN wanted to pull out all stops they could do it. If not, I would go the mind control route.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh' date=' didn't expect to see this thread again anytime soon. :)[/quote']A while back I decided to start keeping the last notification in my inbox for threads I'm subscribed to, in case I needed something and had to find the thread quickly. I generally delete the thread after a month has passed (and after reviewing the thread). For this one, I plan on using probably 90% of what you've stated (give or take 5%), but I can't put it in my game until a certain event has happened, so I've kept it longer.

For your suggestions, thank you as always. I may do this and have the takeover be background material and give the PCs the option to try and retake it.

Menagarie has a shark form' date=' doesn't she?[/quote']Hmm, I'll go check. Thanks for your other suggestions as well.

One of the things I was considering for Stingray would be for her to command a subdivision of the Praetorian Guard adapted to operating underwater, the Myrmillii (named for the class of Roman gladiator who wore a fish-decorated helmet). Other appropriate CU villains include the vicious shark-man El Tiburon (from Champions Worldwide), and the superstrong Lemurian renegade Leviathan (previously published in Digital Hero, and soon to appear in Villains, Vandals And Vermin). Riptide might be a little too nonviolent to be a Myrmillo, but Menagerie in shark form would fit in.

I also second assault's suggestions for Stingray making contact with dissatisfied elements of Atlantean society (no few Atlanteans are unhappy with the royal family's openness to the surface world), and Teleios providing troops (he could probably clone basic Atlanteans from a sample of Stingray's DNA; they'd be more acceptable to the Atlantean populace than "foreign-looking" soldiers).

• 5 months later...

I was looking for ideas for the mutant hunting organization called the Institute for Human Advancement. And I think I am going to crib some of your work for my own campaign.

In my Champions Campaign Universe the Minute Man Robots are the result of Project Genocide. A splinter group of the IHA, but in reality it is the other way around. The IHA is the front organization and Project Genocide the parent organization.

The Minute Man VII Robots are very dangerous, but the superhuman world is learning quickly how to deal with them and they are not cheap. So the leadership of PG decided to look for other ways. Finally they decided to follow UNTIL's and VIPER's success using trained paranormal operatives (Agents) and superpower level equipment.

They would form this new group around one of there greater successes. The mutant hunter called Purifier. Trained by Mechassassin and Purifier. The first group of Purifier Agents recently have graduated from an intense coarse.

At the same time, mutant captured alive were experimented on and in some cases brainwashed into becoming double agents. Infitrating superhuman and mutant organizations and betraying them to PG.

Project Genocide scientists have determined that the mutant is hereditary and the only way to save mankind from extinction was to weed out those bloodlines. Whole families would be purified.

To save mankind they have to wipe out mutantkind.

This is only the begining.

QM

• 2 weeks later...

Something you might consider (that just popped into my head while reading your post) is that maybe the next generation of Minute Man robots, instead of being oversized giants, are de facto Terminator 800s. They have artificial skin (perhaps created by Telios or stolen from him, or they have their own genius who formulated/cloned it) so they can walk around amongst other humans. When a mutant is detected, they follow for a while and terminate at the best opportune moment.

• 2 months later...

Oh' date=' I'm not saying he can't [i']control[/i] his hatred. I just wanted to know how certain he was to be plotting Menton's eventual downfall, that's all... ;)

Never trust a man who is the spitting image of Patrick Stuart(least in 4th Ed). Seriously though, this would be one powerful group. When Lamplighter is the one that your group MIGHT be able to beat...you're in trouble.

Rob

OK' date=' I have finally introduced Raven into my game via the "Elsewhere" thread on HeroCentral. If anyone is interested, it can be found on this thread.

I even went with LL's change and put Zorran in, though every once in a while I changed the wording, it's 99% LL's original text. Kudos, again! :thumbup:

NOOOOOOOO! Time to run and hide... :)

Never trust a man who is the spitting image of Patrick Stuart(least in 4th Ed). Seriously though, this would be one powerful group. When Lamplighter is the one that your group MIGHT be able to beat...you're in trouble.

Rob

OT, but I always thought that Lamplighter might be great teamed up with Joseph Otanga, considering his (Lampy's) delight in working behind the scenes with tyrants and all.

Might give RAVEN some influence in Africa as well. And seeing as how the Dark Continent seems mostly untouched by either of the other two big villainous groups (VIPER and DEMON), well, RAVEN could use a little home away from home, now, couldn't they?

I hope you mean 'seems' with emphasis, because Africa is most definitely *not* untouched by VIPER. Its their place of greatest strength, and in fact, they could conquer the entire thing more or less, if they wanted to. They currently don't, because they don't yet have the resources to hold it against a first world counteroffensive.

OT' date=' but I always thought that Lamplighter might be great teamed up with Joseph Otanga, considering his (Lampy's) delight in working behind the scenes with tyrants and all. [/quote']

This is exactly the scenario I suggested upthread, and my main rationale for putting Lamplighter in charge of RAVEN's African operations.

Might give RAVEN some influence in Africa as well. And seeing as how the Dark Continent seems mostly untouched by either of the other two big villainous groups (VIPER and DEMON)' date=' well, RAVEN could use a little home away from home, now, couldn't they?[/quote']

Metaphysician has already dealt with VIPER in this context. DEMON also has great interest in the Dark Continent due to its numerous mystic power sites, and is firmly entrenched in some regions.

I hope you mean 'seems' with emphasis' date=' because Africa is most definitely *not* untouched by VIPER. Its their place of greatest strength, and in fact, they could conquer the entire thing more or less, if they wanted to. They currently don't, because they don't yet have the resources to hold it against a first world counteroffensive.[/quote']

Metaphysician has already dealt with VIPER in this context. DEMON also has great interest in the Dark Continent due to its numerous mystic power sites' date=' and is firmly entrenched in some regions.[/quote']

Woops, I forgot. Thanks for reminding me.

Birth of RAVEN Resources:

Illuminati (Marvel Comics)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illuminati_(Marvel_Comics)

Hellfire Club (Marvel Comics)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellfire_Club_(comics)

Men In Black (Comics, Novels, & Film)

http://fiction.wikia.com/wiki/Men_In_Black

Red Skull & HYDRA (Marvel Comics)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Skull

Any more?

QM

For support in using this version of RAVEN, I recommend picking up An Eye For An Eye, a very good 4E Dark Champions supplement by Steven S. Long. This is by far the most detailed published treatment of the organization, and I incorporated many of Steve's ideas for the group's structure and m.o. in my own incarnation (with Steve's kind permission). AEFAE would provide even more detail to enrich one's RAVEN experience. The book also includes a number of other interesting elements, such as info on various real-world organized crime and law-enforcement groups, the American legal system, lots of weapon stats, details about some of Hero Earth's fictional countries (still existing in Fifth Edition continuity), and a modern-day update to the Hero Universe's pulp-era vigilante, the Raven. Some of this material has been or will be incorporated into Fifth Edition sourcebooks, but as Steve has no intention of updating RAVEN officially this will be the only source for that stuff.

Of course RAVEN debuted in the pre-Fourth Edition sourcebook Super Agents. While that version of the group is similar in origin to Steve Long's, in many other ways it's very different and not nearly as detailed. I used very little from RAVEN's first incarnation for my own take on the org. OTOH Super Agents does contain interesting takes on several other organizations, including UNTIL, VIPER (both superceded by the newest sourcebooks), SAT (predecessor to PRIMUS), Starguard International (high-tech private security group), and Near Space Defense (secret defenders against alien invasion). Personally I'm particularly fond of the interesting NPCs and several well-rendered maps in the book.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

You're certainly opening up some deep graves lately, QM. ;)

I should go back over this thread with an eye to everything that's happened in the Champions Universe over the intervening years. The status of some of these characters has changed, while new figures have been added who would fit RAVEN.