Life Support: Longevity?

TheRavenIs

Re: Life Support: Longevity?

My urban mage has a few points in it for a few reasons,

1) He discovered magic in his 50s so by buying Longevity he can still compete physically with the rest of the team.

2) Mages have long lifespans, it's that simple

3) One of his urban magic spells involves enchanting beauty products that make you look younger (Oil of Olay, Just for Men Hair Gel, etc) so that they work the way we wish they would work so he actually IS younger.

4) I've been tossing an idea to run a Galactic Champions campaign and I need an excuse to include him as a deux ex machina.

Only charrie I ever played that had longevity was in a campaign where the GM didn't use the Longevity powers. Said they didn't come up in play, so didn't do anything.

Course, she didn't make Longevity the protection against an NND, to make it fair.

I wanted a charrie that had been around for centuries, so she said "OK. It's background color, it doesn't cost anything. However, you have to buy a couple high-roll KS's cause of all the history you know first hand."

Three KS's, two at 17-, on at 15-. That was it.

Seems to me she's right. Longevity doesn't show up very much, except when it's like the explanation for some KS's and shtuff. I've never seen it used, except when a GM throws "Aging" NND's at people just because s/he doesn't want some player(s) to think s/he/they spent points for nothing.

Anybody ever see Longevity really integrated into a campaign? I'd be interested to hear about it. :)

25kivd2.gif

OK, let's hear more! :)

What other fictional immortals are appropriate?

Tarzan? (Another ERB creation , but still...)

Kane?

Fu Manchu?

Casca?

Don't want another ERB character, so not Tarzan

The Comte de Saint-Germain is good.

Hadn't considered Fu Manchu before, could be interesting.

Only charrie I ever played that had longevity was in a campaign where the GM didn't use the Longevity powers. Said they didn't come up in play, so didn't do anything.

Course, she didn't make Longevity the protection against an NND, to make it fair.

I wanted a charrie that had been around for centuries, so she said "OK. It's background color, it doesn't cost anything. However, you have to buy a couple high-roll KS's cause of all the history you know first hand."

Three KS's, two at 17-, on at 15-. That was it.

Seems to me she's right. Longevity doesn't show up very much, except when it's like the explanation for some KS's and shtuff. I've never seen it used, except when a GM throws "Aging" NND's at people just because s/he doesn't want some player(s) to think s/he/they spent points for nothing.

Anybody ever see Longevity really integrated into a campaign? I'd be interested to hear about it. :)

25kivd2.gif

I did once see an immortal character with KS: Completely Unimportant Historical Trivia From The Last Two Millenia. Basically, the GM let him bull**** anything he wanted to so long as it didn't amount to revising any major historical points.

"Da Vinci was a DAMN fine ping-pong player ..."

Deth -- effectively immortal because of regeneration and because she absorbed the essence of the psychopomp sent to collect her soul after she was murdered

Saviel (War Angel) -- she's an angel...does not age

T'Shenk Kennet -- demonic form, human soul...does not age

I did once see an immortal character with KS: Completely Unimportant Historical Trivia From The Last Two Millenia. Basically, the GM let him bull**** anything he wanted to so long as it didn't amount to revising any major historical points.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Jeebus, couldn't he stay somewhere close to The Real World™'s True History™?

:rofl:

25kivd2.gif

Heh. I was actually running a character kind of like that in a fantasy game (Earthdawn). In Earthdawn, there is (apparently) a subset of the elven race who is immortal (or near enough - characters with the same names show up in the Shadowrun game, and per FASA, they were the same people.)

Anyway, one of the other players was obsessed with finding some way for his character to become immortal. The first time our characters met, I saw that he was looking at a map with the other PCs, trying to figure out to where some NPC had scurried. He was pointing at Urupa, and said something like "We should search here for NPC."

My character leaned over and said, "No, she's not there. I would have been told."

Him: "Why would they tell you?"

Me: "Oh, it's my city. I founded it, back in [random date, hundreds of years ago]. I planted the first tree in the city square - an ash, I believe. It died a mere 110 years later, so I planted an oak."

Him: :jawdrop:

Unfortunately, the campaign fell apart before we ever decided if he was insane, immortal, or both. When people contradicted his recollection of the past, he would waive his hands and say "Sure, NPC wrote that down in a book. But he was only trying to prevent people from knowing that he really didn't save the city from the Horror, and instead spent the entire battle hiding under his blankie."

Back on to topic - I have had characters who were (relatively) immortal - 200 - 800 years. It was either because they regenerated (Whammo), or gained their powers from some mystic source (Whisper of the Shadowed Mind).

Anyway' date=' one of the other players was [i']obsessed[/i] with finding some way for his character to become immortal. The first time our characters met, I saw that he was looking at a map with the other PCs, trying to figure out to where some NPC had scurried. He was pointing at Urupa, and said something like "We should search here for NPC."

My character leaned over and said, "No, she's not there. I would have been told."

Him: "Why would they tell you?"

Me: "Oh, it's my city. I founded it, back in [random date, hundreds of years ago]. I planted the first tree in the city square - an ash, I believe. It died a mere 110 years later, so I planted an oak."

Him: :jawdrop:

Unfortunately, the campaign fell apart before we ever decided if he was insane, immortal, or both. When people contradicted his recollection of the past, he would waive his hands and say "Sure, NPC wrote that down in a book. But he was only trying to prevent people from knowing that he really didn't save the city from the Horror, and instead spent the entire battle hiding under his blankie."

Back on to topic - I have had characters who were (relatively) immortal - 200 - 800 years. It was either because they regenerated (Whammo), or gained their powers from some mystic source (Whisper of the Shadowed Mind).

OMG! I didn't know Hap Shaughnessy is an elf!

:rofl:

25kivd2.gif

I used to think Longevity might be a bit over priced' date=' then I read the power where someone put LS to prevent Pregancy as worth 5 points![/quote']

Puts a different spin on an old thread which debated the value of an inability to reproduce as a disadvantage...