Life Support: Longevity?

TheRavenIs

1. How do you use this?

2. How many of your C's have it?

3. What level do you use for yours C?

1. I use it for C's that are designed to be either older than they appear or I plan on using either in the future of the game world I am running or another one later.

2. a. Kameron n'Kadie: Alien-human; natural extended lifespan is racial/natural.

b. Kira aka Electric Blue: Android made flesh, just seemed to fit.

c. BearCat: Wolverine-type C, born 7/4/1781.

d. Si Mon and Gi Mon RE: Alien-human; natural extended lifespan is racial/natural.

e. Sentinel: Cosmic Being on the verge of ?

3. a. 400 yrs; b. 800 yrs; c. immortal; d. 200 yrs; e. 400yrs?

Re: Life Support: Longevity?

I use it on characters who are genuinely immortal (at least in the un-aging sense). My American Eagle character has it, as he is eternally powered by the cosmic forces of the universe.

For NPCs, most demonic creatures and undead have it (duh). It also adds flavor for long-lived villains.

I use it for concept.

Characters like Oppenheimer have been fighting the good fight for decades. A point or two helps explain why they're still here.

Characters like Legend or Style are touched by mystic forces (Legend practically is a mystic force). An extended lifespan or Immortality go with the job.

Flesh Gordon is a regenerating Brick; unaging was pretty much a natural for his build anyway, and then add in his history as a Pulp adventurer.

It's not something that has or needs all that much justification in terms of practical use. Like wealth in a game where equipment costs points, it's there for back story purposes and very occasional moments of practical value.

I seem to use it frequently, but then I like playing characters who've been around for a while and have a reason for it (immortal, regeneration, robot, alien).

If there's no real reason, then nope.

Oh, I also like to use it if I think to myself "If a game was run in the future, or the past, would I like to play a future or past version of this character?" and answer yes.

Millennium: Has it at the immortal level, but doesn't realize it yet.

Cheeta: None.

Iron Will: None, yet.

Snow Leopard: Daughter of Wolverine, Granddaughter of Sabertooth, has the 200 year life expectancy level

Dolphin: Immortal

My main Champions character Zl'f has it at the "Immortal" level. It's mostly for flavor. I thought it might be interesting to roleplay an immortal PC who is quite young (23 as of March 2006) and can look ahead to centuries or even millenia of life rather than an old one who looks back (She isn't going to be entirely thrilled when she finds out she's immortal, which she won't for another couple of years, since she finds out at the same time she can't ever have children.).

The basic premise for it is that her Regeneration is so efficient it's essentially "locked" her physically at fourteen years of age (which was her age when she got her powers). It always heals her back to that condition. I may expand it to "Heals Limbs" eventually under the same premise.

I'm pretty strict when it comes to making sure that powers keep within the concept. Longevity conepts are usually obvious, so if it's questionable I tend to stay away (how many campaigns last a PC's lifetime?).

Hard Eight is a Wonder Man clone, a being of ionic energy, so it seemed logical that he would have longevity.

Soulbarb doesn't have it yet. A more experienced version of her who's tapped into her demonic heritage more fully might well have started buying into this. She could in theory eventually buy full immortality with her power theme, but she'd have to be cosmic-level or nearly so by then, and she would look vastly different as a character built on that many points, especially if a lot of them were devoted to her demonic powers.

Sylph has been touched by a god (Dionysus) but so far, though she is one of his Champions, she is merely a mortal in his service. If she proves herself sufficiently, Dionysus may someday gift her with an extended lifespan or even immortality. But in every case, it's subject to Dionysus's will, and what gifts he gives, he can take away.

Battlestaff was immortal, but it was part of his concept. He and his twin brother (who was later revealed to be Daimon Harrington from 4th Ed. DEMON) were both immortal beings. They were part of a long line of immortal twins destined to struggle for good and evil for all time.

Nght Owl has a couple of points for flavor.

Jessica is undead, and coming up on 100 years old (though she looks around 20, maybe a little younger).

Silence - is a 2000 year old Psychopomp; born to a Germanic Tribe she fought Roman legions before becoming what she is now, and has just rejoined the land of the living as a protector.

Ghost - on her way to becoming a powerful sorceress her teacher gave her an Immortality Spell; which is nice because his way of teaching is to shunt her off to a time accelerated dimension where she lives a decade while seconds pass back home. She was born 32 years ago, but has lived closer to 45 years.

I use it, since it's dripping with story potential.

Lemme see, how many of mine have it?

Gallant

He's originally from a 4th Ed game and wound up defined as an Advanced Generation Mutant, complete with LS vs Aging & Disease. When I kicked him over to 5th, I gave him both at full, since he'd already found out ingame that there wasn't any disease on Earth that could hurt him and that when he wound up in a post-collapse Minuteman-controlled future, that he'd been one of the last SPBs killed off in the late 21 Century. The footage showed him looking about 18 at over a century old.

He wound up acting fairly standoffish and avoided non-costumed people a lot after that. He was starting to get kind of obsessed with doing "it" right and changing that future at all costs. Made him decide to join up with PRIMUS and start trying to shove things into a new shape. He figured he could take the long view. Would have been fun to see how badly he could screw it up.

Thunderbolt

I bought LS Aging & Disease as a whim and found myself hanging a lot onto that little power. I had him set up as an early Silver-age character who's occult studies bonded him to the Cosmic Storm that empowered Thunder & Lightning. The LS stuff was bleedover from his Hero ID to his normal one along with some limited Regeneration. I had him empowered in 52' and fairly active from then on, with a physical age of 25. The fun part was realizing this lack of aging could really hose a relationship as his wife stressed out over her unaging husband and divorced him. So he remarried and it happened again, and again. Frankly, it's funny to me to picture him not having a good grip on anything but being a superhero. This leaves him in 2006 with grandchildren who look as old as he does if he doesn't mask his appearance with disguise magic. Family gatherings are really getting awkward, y'know?

Kid Dynamo

I didn't give him any LS: Aging despite him being an android as he was originally designed to emulate human development. Doc Armitage didn't think some of the experiment parameters out too well. However, since he's like 9 physically, he's got a few decades to figure out what to do. He's far more preoccupied with the magic "curse" he recently acquired. Turning into a real boy is an annoyance to a kid who's biggest role-model seems to be Bender from Futurama.

I seem to use it quite a lot, as much as the concept will barely justify, because I like the idea that the character, barring violent death, will be around a long time, his/her capabilities not being felled by age (or aging attacks). It's nice to escapist vicarious wish-fulfillment.

Right now I'm working on a backstory/subplot that will require seven immortals. The only one I've fully decided upon is Captain John Carter of Virginia.
OK, let's hear more! :)

What other fictional immortals are appropriate?

Tarzan? (Another ERB creation , but still...)

Kane?

Fu Manchu?

Casca?

OK, let's hear more! :)

What other fictional immortals are appropriate?

Tarzan? (Another ERB creation , but still...)

Kane?

Fu Manchu?

Casca?

Fu Manchu would definitely fit. As would Tarzen, really.

My current character is an artificially intelligence, semi-autonomous, limited nano-function mecha construct. No aging at all.

A few of my characters either have this ability or might develop it:

1. Tyr: Norse god of justice: unaging

2. Starknight: discovers that she has this ability later. As a member of the Celestial Order, one of the perks is that she doesn't age (but only as lnog as she is a member). Basically, beings who can be knights are very rare and their training is very tough - it'd be sad to lose so gifted an individual to old age or infirmity.

3. lady Silver: if she ever becomes ArchMage -it's a perk of office.