Door opened in an airplane in flight. What next?

OddHat

Re: Door opened in an airplane in flight. What next?

depends on the genre.

Assuning no superpowers, you provide each character with chances to make strength rolls and dex rolls at varying levels of difficulty to grab others to keep them from being sucked out, and numerous opportunities to be heroic. The difficulties of the rolls should be high enough to look risky but low enough to be makeable, and sufficient "then try this" follow-up rolls to enable "last minute catches" when initial rolls fail, that they all syrvive and get to be heroic before the plane gets low enough to stabilize the pressure.

Cannot give specifics since the genre and nature of the characters will determine their specs and stats and thus set the stage for what is ":difficult enough but not too difficult".

Once superpowers come into play and the potential for "he survived getting sucked out of a plane in flight" come into play, things get a little more varied.

Didn't Mythbusters do a segment on a jet depressurizing in flight?
Yes they did. As I recall, a bullet hole... any hole smaller than about 30cm in diameter for that matter, had no significant 'vaccuum' affect on the cabin. Holes larger than that (larger than the size of a plane window) had distructive affects on the fuselage. Large openings, like the door coming off, tended to explode the fuselage around opening.

There was a plane a couple of years back that had a large part of the starboard side of the plane blown off... it landed in Hawaii with a big gaping wound.

I don't know what game effect you want... but I'm sure that you could justify just about anything you wanted.

Peace,

-keith

The PCs are in a commercial jet headed from NY to Alaska.

The door is torn, blasted, smashed, or otherwise opened.

What next?

We finally get all them damn snakes off the plane!

The PCs are in a commercial jet headed from NY to Alaska.

The door is torn, blasted, smashed, or otherwise opened.

What next?

Is there a system for this burried in one of the books?

How would you handle it?

Rules for explosive decompression are in Star Hero on p286 of that book.

Rules for Low Pressure are on p441 of FRED.

Wind - FRED p442.

Just looking at all that, I'd go for something like the following effects:

Drain of 1 END per phase

-1 to all skill and combat rolls

15 STR TK explosive to pull people and stuff out the hole (more or less depnding on the height of the plane... about 15 STR for a high altitude door sized hole methinks).

Yes they did. As I recall, a bullet hole... any hole smaller than about 30cm in diameter for that matter, had no significant 'vaccuum' affect on the cabin. Holes larger than that (larger than the size of a plane window) had distructive affects on the fuselage. Large openings, like the door coming off, tended to explode the fuselage around opening.

There was a plane a couple of years back that had a large part of the starboard side of the plane blown off... it landed in Hawaii with a big gaping wound.

I don't know what game effect you want... but I'm sure that you could justify just about anything you wanted.

Peace,

-keith

Aloha Airlines Flight 243 lost the top part of the fuselage from just in back of the cockpit to just before the wings. During the explosive decompression, one of the flight attendants was blown out of the plane's side, but another was actually thrown to the floor and then held in place by passengers as the flight landed.

For more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aloha_Flight_243

JoeG

And in a totally irrelevant piece of trivia, I actually met a woman who was on United Airlines Flight 811 which suffered a similar fate, except that several passengers went out the hole to their doom. She was sitting on the opposite side of the aisle from the hole and guy next to her - who had no seatbelt on - went out the hole! :eek:

That'd shake your confidence in flying, I think.

cheers, Mark

And in a totally irrelevant piece of trivia, I actually met a woman who was on United Airlines Flight 811 which suffered a similar fate, except that several passengers went out the hole to their doom. She was sitting on the opposite side of the aisle from the hole and guy next to her - who had no seatbelt on - went out the hole! :eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Airlines_Flight_811

The two pilots of that flight received the Secretary's Award for Heroism for landing the plane afterwards. In numerous simulations afterward, no one was able to land that model plane with that that kind of damage.

Keith "brrrr." Curtis

That only goes to prove that simulations aren't as cool as real life.

Most of what people believe about "explosive compression" comes from fiction and is partially to entirely urban myth.

You know that when explosive decompression occurs that a host of baby spiders hatch in your dreadlocks, don't you?

You know that when explosive decompression occurs that a host of baby spiders hatch in your dreadlocks' date=' don't you?[/quote']

I thought explosive decompression was what you get when you mix Pop Rocks with Coke. It killed Mikey, after all.

I thought explosive decompression was what you get when you mix Pop Rocks with Coke. It killed Mikey' date=' after all.[/quote']

Nah, explosive decompression is what sucked all those people and lifeboats down when the Titanic sunk.

This kind of thing happened in a game I ran once: bad guys hijack the plane, good guys coincidentally on the plane, they fight it out. The idea was that one of the main good guys was supposed to just stand there and take the bad guy's blast, rather than letting it strike the wall of the plane. But he dodged.

I wimped out. :o I ruled that it wasn't quite enough to make a big enough hole in the plane, even though it probably should have.

Note: this was years before 9/11.

Or maybe make more people do what I do, which is keep the seatbelt on for the whole flight. People removing seatbelts but staying seated? - that's one thing I don't think I'll ever understand :D

Or maybe make more people do what I do' date=' which is keep the seatbelt on for the whole flight. People removing seatbelts but staying seated? - that's one thing I don't think I'll ever understand :D[/quote']

I do that too - not because of the risk of holes in the plane but because of an experience I had when I was flying in a smallish plane with my parents. We hit an air pocket and just dropped like a stone - stuff went flying everywhere and the woman in front of me rose into the air. She didn't hit the roof hard, but when we hit the bottom of the air pocket (or more accurately, commenced flying again) she came down *hard* on the arm of her seat (owwwww). To add to her distress, whether because of the impact, the pain or simply fright, she also pissed herself.

I was a kid, so half of me was going ohgodohgodwereallgonnadie and the other half was going Thatwassocool! (well, apart from the strong smell of urine, which I thought incredibly gross).

cheers, Mark