GI Joe?

tkdguy

I was wondering if anyone ever did a GI Joe campaign, or anything like that. I know a group of people have a campaign using d20 modern, but why play d20 when you can play HERO, right? ;)

I actually created a terrorist organization like COBRA. Except I called it BOA. Originally it stood for "Bastion of Anarchy," but I thought "Bastion of Autocracy" made more sense. It had a very unusaul method of recruiting troops. People would kidnap the homeless, brainwash them into believing society was to blame for all their woes, then turn them into shock troops. One of my players thought BOA should stand for "Bums Of America" instead.

Suggestions?

The main thing I'd change is reinforcing the command structure. In the comic and the cartoon, you'd have corporals giving orders to captains! That doesn't make sense in any army.

I am a fan of the new series. I never thought COBRA Commander was scary until this one came out. I'm glad he's being portrayed as a ruthless killer instead of comic relief.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.

Long ago...

We played a Danger International game with codeword named para-military agents dealing with terrorists. The GM was thinking Mission Impossible, he got GiJoe. All around it was fun playing an agent level game with all the tropes of a super hero one. It was a fun game.

PS: All the DI lethality was there... we could hit the broad side of the barn, and that litle space between your eyes too.

I was thinking about a GI Joe game recently as well. With the Viper source book coming out that would have plenty of ideas for an international organization. The Secret(Battle?) Files for the current comic series had a pretty good break down of the main characters and the command structure.

Just don't let anyone play Snakeeyes.

"Snake-eyes sneak into the base and unlock the door from the inside, then we'll come in a attack anyone we need to."

12 second later the door opens.

"Hey, why is everyone unconcious or dead already?"

I don't know if anyone is familiar with the Recon game published by Palladium. It's supposed to be a Vietnam War rpg, but my friend is trying to modernize it. I did state that it shouldn't become a GI Joe campaign. Maybe I'll convince him it should.

Super Agents would be good for a Joe campaign, but not 100% necessary. Most of their equipment was standard modern-day stuff (at least early on in the comics, the cartoon was always jacked up). The gadgets they'd use would be easy enough to do in 5th without all the translating from 3rd you'd need if you were using Super Agents.

Of course, anyone who wants to do a Joe game can post gadget ideas, and those of us gaming vicariously will generally be happy to come up with plausible write-ups....

I think a GI Joe campaign should be like the comic series, where people actually do get killed, including a few Joes and COBRA leaders. It is rare for a major charcter to die, but that goes for all TV shows. Maybe damage reduction and a point or two of Luck would help keep the PCs alive. But the nameless grunts are still canon fodder.