SJG's Traveller Deck Plans - dang wrong scale!

buzz

So, Iw as all psyched about using the Free Trader deck plans from SJG for my Star HERO game, and then I noticed that, hey, GURPS hexes are only one yard.

Crap!

I'm of half a mind to just not covert to keep my players from having to double everything, but I dunno. Any thoughts? Anyone else using these SJG products for their Star HERO game?

Re: SJG's Traveller Deck Plans - dang wrong scale!

So, Iw as all psyched about using the Free Trader deck plans from SJG for my Star HERO game, and then I noticed that, hey, GURPS hexes are only one yard.

Crap!

I'm of half a mind to just not covert to keep my players from having to double everything, but I dunno. Any thoughts? Anyone else using these SJG products for their Star HERO game?

Double? Don't you mean halve? Count 1-yard hexes and divide by 2 = HERO's 2m hexes (roughly). Apply HERO rules and stats normally from there. That's what I'd do, anyway.

Yes. Truth be told, doubling the hex size to make it fit Hero's standard isn't all that big a deal, it just means the ships have a more epic feel.

If you go with the 1 yard scale, then you're going to have characters "flying" across the map (a character with 6" running will roughly be moving 12 hexes as a full move).

I used the Hero hex-scale with the generic indoor/outdoor maps SJG used to sell for GURPS and it worked fine.

I agree, just either double or use them as is, I am left with refitting my doubleset of Azhanti High Lightning deckplans for use with Star Hero, I will probably just use doubling instead

I wish these were still in production, although Marc Miller gave written permission for me to to make one copy of them.

Speaking as a game cartographer and someone who remembers the wonky indoor/outdoor scale of original D&D, I say "use them as is". As long as you are consistent, it doesn't really matter. I frequently use 1 meter hexes in my personal maps for indoor encounters. Most rooms are too small for any kind of tactical movement otherwise. Heck, I frequently would disregard scale altogether, so long as the number of hexes in an area is good fo an interesting battle.

Keith "Especially use them if the maps are cool" Curtis

Mantis: By "double," I meant, every HERO hex on your character sheet means two hexes on the map, since that's how the scale works out.

Everybody else: Gotcha. I'll try using 'em as-is and see if it makes a difference. Thanks!

My two cents' worth:

As long as everybody is conforming to the same standard, who's to say that it isn't 6" outside and 6" inside? You're the GM, go with what's easiest and tell your players that's how it's going to be. If they don't like it, they can always play somewhere else.

Matt "Outta-pennies-now" Frisbee

• 2 weeks later...

The 1 Hex = 6' measure is a tailorable abstraction. Its important when calculating accelerations for high speed movement and range, which are far more relevant outside, where you have room for maneuvering and large distances to fire over. Indoors its not so important to have an exact measure. As a result, I recommend just using them as is. Its not perfect, but you shouldn't run into too many problems. The only thing you might want to tinker with is range modifiers, but even that... eh, seems like work.

Pluggy MgPlugPlug says' date=' "Check out BlackWyrm's line of spaceship maps at http://home.insightbb.com/~ryan.wolfe/Future_Armada.htm"

Very nice and at only $4.95 per pdf reasonable. The deck plans are scaled to 1" = 5 feet, close enough for Hero use. They have a very Fireflyish feel to them but easily usable in SH/TE of course ship stats and crew lists are in D20 format but they can easily be converted or just use the deck plans and create your own stats and crews. My review says :thumbup::thumbup: