World without Menton

Hermit

Not so long ago, I discussed in a thread here about running a game where a group of superheroes set out to kill Menton.

Well, as that thread also explains, they succeded, so for at least in my face to face games, I plan to run things as if Menton were gone for good. The heroes in question must deal with their psychological scars and personal consequences.

But what of the world around them? Dr. Destroyer offered his assistance, and was refused. These heroes managed without him? Are they now a threat to be dealt with directly, or does he simply dismiss them as having served him even though they did not know it?

Will Eurostar stay in Europe, or will Mentalla insist they go to America to seek revenge?

The Champions helped the Awakened find Menton, many of them have CVKs, and are a bit shaken at the result of their help, even if the Awakened saved their lives earlier from Telios. How will they, and other heroes react to the Awakened? Will there be an increased outcry from the public for more agressive superheroes? Or will it scare them and encourage a tighter registration policy?

Will PSI grow bolder, now believing they are THE Mental Monopoly on the planet?

Questions like this are things I'm going to have to think about as GM, and I would be happy to have your input on it.

What do you think the ramifications will be for individual supers and organizations?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: World without Menton

Turns out that Menton was the only thing holding the Circle of the Scarlet Moon in check. Post mid-term elections, the entire US government is in the hands of Hedonistic Satanists with a Hate America First Even When It Is Transparently Against Our Own Interests agenda. Best part: FOX News will write your plots for you.

Looks like dozens of minor Hero teams were under Menton's control, used to fight his rivals. With him gone, their repressed memories and personalities start breaking free. The very best of them, and the emotionally strongest, may retire or even keep fighting the good fight. Others go insane, or Evil. How will your PCs deal with it?

Menton was controlling politicians and business leaders all over the world. What will they do now that they're free?

Turns out that the Telepathic alien race that was responsible for ESPER's powers was smarter and more active than anyone imagined. The threat of Menton was all that kept them from launching another invasion attempt. The re-gain control of ESPER, boost her to near-Menton power levels, and attack. Can the players defeat Menton's successor and her alien masters? Should they seek help from PSI?

An Israeli Telepathic Superheroine is widely thought to be the only Telepath on Earth in Menton's class. The Paternity of her daughter is not quite what she believed. What will she do when her daughter starts dreaming that Menton is speaking to her from beyond the grave, and when that daughter suddenly displays massive Telepathic and Psychokinetic powers?

A world without Menton

with apologies to Gene Simmons and KISS

A world without Menton

Is like a world without fear

There's much less Paranoia here

Without Menton

And a world without Menton

Is like a never ending dream

Is like a mind field beside a stream

A wretched soul no place to scream

Where you don't know what you're after

Or if something's after you

And you don't know why you don't know

In a world without Menton

In a world without dreams

Things are no more than they seem

And a world without Menton

Is like a world without evil thougts

A villains scape with out instant plots

Just silly thungs and killer 'bots

Where you don't know what you're after

Or if something's after you

And you don't know why you don't know

In a world without Menton

There's nothing to be

It's no place for me

And now, all of the mentalists who think that they are the most potent mentalist on Earth crawl out of the woodwork to claim Menton's "title". Of course, the only way to prove you are a powerful mentalist is to act the part. Just imagine the havvok a dozen or so highly-active mentalists could unleash.

The dear Doctor Destroyer finally can unleash a group of genetically engineered mentalist based off of Menton's Genetic code with out him usurping the group, due to a resonance with him. They are utterly loyal to the (not so) good doctor and go about causing untold havoc with the world society.

OR

Menton was the only on keeping a bunch of petty personalities in politics from actually being worse then they where (For his own enrichment, and for a weird challenge). With out his influence all of hades breaks loose and we have a large number of political assassinations in the US and Western Europe using any and every means possible. Can our heroes stop the Societal Collapse in to anarchy?

The heroes are sued by Menton's lover, whoever that might happen to be in your game, in civil court for loss of consortium and all other activities related to marriage and sexual congress, estimating damages from Menton's empire to be some astronomical number.

Can the heroes survive the lawyers, thieves, criminals, and all the other chaos this lawsuit creates?

What willl happen to Menton's massive fortune, and who will wind up with it?

If your PC's currently are the ones who killed Menton, they just got served. If they aren't, then give your new PC's the job of serving them with the papers!

The spirit of the deceased Menton and the essense of Gravitar combine into an unstoppable juggernaut, Onslaughterhouse! All of the revered heroes of the world seem to die stopping Onslaughterhouse, but it is later revealed that they were actually saved by a cosmically-powered toddler who shunted them into a parallel universe.

What a crap idea. Forget I said anything.

But what of the world around them? Dr. Destroyer offered his assistance' date=' and was refused. These heroes managed without him? Are they now a threat to be dealt with directly, or does he simply dismiss them as having served him even though they did not know it?[/quote']I don't believe Destroyer would act quickly on this. Menton wasn't a powerbroker that halted Destroyer's plans from going into action. I think Dr. D. would observe, knowing that there will be a slight power vacuum as well as a release and he would want to see the wave ripples before he dove in.

Will Eurostar stay in Europe' date=' or will Mentalla insist they go to America to seek revenge?[/quote']I can see this. Even if she didn't get along with her brother, he was still her brother. The audacity for these upstarts to slay her brother must be punished with a retributive strike. She merely must "convince" Fiacho. (And there's that slight fear that if they killed her brother, then they could kill her. Best to eliminate that threat quickly.)

The Champions helped the Awakened find Menton' date=' many of them have CVKs, and are a bit shaken at the result of their help, even if the Awakened saved their lives earlier from Telios. How will they, and other heroes react to the Awakened? Will there be an increased outcry from the public for more agressive superheroes? Or will it scare them and encourage a tighter registration policy?[/quote'] A little of both, but probably not so much to have a deepening impact. The Champions and other NPC heroes may put the team on a "probation" period (with the Awakened fully aware of this) before trust can be fully (re?)established.

Will PSI grow bolder' date=' now believing they are THE Mental Monopoly on the planet?[/quote']I can see PSI (especially Psimon and/or Medusa believing the time is perfect. Despite being mentalists, PSI is embolden and goes on the offensive, accidentally/inadvertently showing their hand.

What do you think the ramifications will be for individual supers and organizations?
Similar to the Champions answer, though some heroes may be of the mind "it needed to be done." Heck Thunderbird may even stop by to give a "congratulations" speech. ;)

The spirit of the deceased Menton and the essense of Gravitar combine into an unstoppable juggernaut, Onslaughterhouse! All of the revered heroes of the world seem to die stopping Onslaughterhouse, but it is later revealed that they were actually saved by a cosmically-powered toddler who shunted them into a parallel universe.

What a crap idea. Forget I said anything.

BWAHAHAHA! So repped...

Okay, I'm reading this thread and thought I'd interject something here - almost every suggestion has been of the "because you succeeded in your goal, everything gets so much worse, for everyone, that you must feel like complete s**tbags now" variety. I wouldn't like that as a player - they deserve to feel like they've accomplished something positive besides straight revenge. Sure, the act can have unforeseen negative consequences, but please don't take that fairly climactic victory and turn around and basically tell them they really shouldn't have done that. Show some good that comes of it, too.

Okay, I'm reading this thread and thought I'd interject something here - almost every suggestion has been of the "because you succeeded in your goal, everything gets so much worse, for everyone, that you must feel like complete s**tbags now" variety. I wouldn't like that as a player - they deserve to feel like they've accomplished something positive besides straight revenge. Sure, the act can have unforeseen negative consequences, but please don't take that fairly climactic victory and turn around and basically tell them they really shouldn't have done that. Show some good that comes of it, too.

This is a good point that I plan to bear in mind.

EDIT:I should add, though, that I am grateful for ANY of the ideas offered, as at least it is letting me consider all angles.

[begin pointless mudslinging]

Turns out that Menton was the only thing holding the Circle of the Scarlet Moon in check. Post mid-term elections' date=' the entire US government is in the hands of Hedonistic Satanists with a Hate America First Even When It Is Transparently Against Our Own Interests agenda. Best part: FOX News will write your plots for you.[/quote']Or use ABC, NBC, and/or CBS. Dan Rather's already had a nice 'spot.'[End pointless mudslinging]

Looks like dozens of minor Hero teams were under Menton's control' date=' used to fight his rivals. With him gone, their repressed memories and personalities start breaking free. The very best of them, and the emotionally strongest, may retire or even keep fighting the good fight. Others go insane, or Evil. How will your PCs deal with it?[/quote']I think this is sort of "jumping the shark" or overdoing it. While Menton was powerful, he wasn't that powerful. To me, this lessens the effect of what the players went through and almost backhands them. Also, Menton would have to be living in country to control so many superhumans and to "recharge" his dominance over them.

Menton was controlling politicians and business leaders all over the world. What will they do now that they're free?
This seems more plausible. Chances are, PSI will try to take them, especially those that "come clean" about being puppeted by Menton. Others might claim their "indescretions" were caused by Menton, despite that being a false statement. This could lead the nation to doubt it's leaders and start chaos, anarchy, and conspiracy theorists, so the politicians may just keep silent on it, for the better of the country and to protect their pride.

Turns out that the Telepathic alien race that was responsible for ESPER's powers was smarter and more active than anyone imagined. The threat of Menton was all that kept them from launching another invasion attempt. The re-gain control of ESPER' date=' boost her to near-Menton power levels, and attack. Can the players defeat Menton's successor and her alien masters? Should they seek help from PSI?[/quote']Personally, I don't think the alien race could be that much smarter if Menton was all that prevented them from attacking. Also, if they couldn't bypass or defeat Menton, they shouldn't be able to create or modify her to a near-Menton.

As an aside, this runs smack into the folly of the Star Wars novels. Once they ended the Empire/New Republic civil war, lo and behold the following threats were all on the "galactic" level. From a single ship that could destroy solar systems, to a small alien empire of a few worlds that nearly brought down the republic, to a new sith-like Palapatien wannabe, to an invasion from outside the galaxy, they did the same "survival of the galaxy is at stake" over and over (until I stopped reading them). I personally wouldn't run this (or at least, not to this magnitude).

An Israeli Telepathic Superheroine is widely thought to be the only Telepath on Earth in Menton's class. The Paternity of her daughter is not quite what she believed. What will she do when her daughter starts dreaming that Menton is speaking to her from beyond the grave' date=' and when that daughter suddenly displays massive Telepathic and Psychokinetic powers?[/quote']Hopefully it's a trick. If Menton is talking to her, this reeks of Marvel Comics "no one stays dead."

YMMV.

And now' date=' all of the mentalists who think that they are the most potent mentalist on Earth crawl out of the woodwork to claim Menton's "title". Of course, the only way to prove you are a powerful mentalist is to act the part. Just imagine the havvok a dozen or so highly-active mentalists could unleash.[/quote']I could see this happening to fill in the "power void" that's there. However, the PCs shouldn't be thrown into the middle of it. Let it be background noise that NPCs take care of. (Unless the PCs want to stop some of this.)

YMMV

The dear Doctor Destroyer finally can unleash a group of genetically engineered mentalist based off of Menton's Genetic code with out him usurping the group' date=' due to a resonance with him. They are utterly loyal to the (not so) good doctor and go about causing untold havoc with the world society.[/quote']Hmm, recloning Menton is one of those "slaps in the faces to the PCs." All that hard work and look, a new Menton to fight! :no:

I was in a Dark Champions campaign where the main evil villain (ties to some team members even) and our team were about to have the final showdown. The GM stated that after this had "run its course" that he would never use the villain again, whether he lived or died. After a very difficult time, we finally defeated said villain (who suffered a head wound from my PC shooting him). He was stripped of his drug implant devices, bound, gagged, and sent to prison.

A few "issues" later and the GM brought him back because ONE player (another GM) thought it would be fun (and yet, NO ONE was impressed. :mad: Most of us rolled our eyes with disappointment) to bring him back with cybernetic parts. Thankfully, he wasn't as powerful, but I lost some respect for that GM that night. (He was still a good person and the best GM I've ever gamed with, but still....)

Menton was the only on keeping a bunch of petty personalities in politics from actually being worse then they where (For his own enrichment' date=' and for a weird challenge). With out his influence all of hades breaks loose and we have a large number of political assassinations in the US and Western Europe using any and every means possible. Can our heroes stop the Societal Collapse in to anarchy?[/quote']This slaps the players in the face. To me, it says "you've defeated an evil person. Because of that, other bad people will become worse. Shame on you for defeating a powerful villain."

YMMV

The heroes are sued by Menton's lover, whoever that might happen to be in your game, in civil court for loss of consortium and all other activities related to marriage and sexual congress, estimating damages from Menton's empire to be some astronomical number.

Can the heroes survive the lawyers, thieves, criminals, and all the other chaos this lawsuit creates?

What willl happen to Menton's massive fortune, and who will wind up with it?

If your PC's currently are the ones who killed Menton, they just got served. If they aren't, then give your new PC's the job of serving them with the papers!

In my opinion, this is one of the worst things a GM could do to his players. It feels very petty as well as disrespectful. If you as a GM asked your players "Would you be willing to play characters who were once heroes, mind controlled by Menton to become murderous villains, but suddenly 'awaken' to find yourself free from his control" and the players said "That's a tough campaign theme, but we'll do it if we can have one GM-fiat encounter where we get the chance to kill Menton" and you as GM said "That's acceptable" and then punished the players/PCs for what you agreed to, I would definitely not want to play in that campaign any more and quite possibly would not want to be a player in your games.

YMMV

Throw one of these out just to mess with them.

Have Bush start acting hyper smart and very humanitarian.

Have Foxbat act sane.

Have Bulldozer become a kinder caring super hero without a trace of his previous misogony.

Have some other villian reform after one of these only to find out that he was just faking it in order to gain some trust.

Even Marvel wouldn't do something this stupid. Or would they!? :eek:

Actually they did.:mad: They combined Professor x and Magneto is a single being called Onslaught. This being took in Nate Grey and Franklin Richards(the toddler) and was able to use their powers. When Onslaught 'killed' the Avengers, Franklin transported them to an alternate universe instead. Onslaught even Knocked back Juggernaut from Ontario Canada to New Jersey! Onslaught even separated the Hulk from Bruce banner. Eventually Onslaught was destroyed.

And now on topic....

Over the next several months, people begin to realize exactly how extensive Menton's network of power was. The number of politicians he had under his control thru blackmail, bribes and out & out mind control is mind-boggling. This lead to the Psionic Protocols Act.

The PPA requires all politicians running for and already in office to be scanned for possible mind control. Also, all Psionic individuals are banned from holding any public office or even working for the government, except for The Psionic Investigators(yes, The Thought Police). And registration of all Psionic individuals. This is expanded to include all superbeings.

Will it pass? What will the Awakened do? What will the Champions do? Which side will they choose? These questions are up to you.

The presence of mind control triggers really gives the PPA a great boost to be passed. Especially if you have several politicians be discovered to have them. This helps get the general public behind it.

Let the Thought Police Grow!:eg:

Pursuant to this trend, the Institute for Human Advancement should be poised to make considerable public-relations capital out of this development. On the one hand, the legacy of Menton's tampering with "normal" humans in positions of power underscores the danger that paranormals like him pose to humanity in general. OTOH, the IHA would doubtless emphasize that this long-standing menace was finally ended through the direct application of lethal force. And yet those who took the action that ended Menton's threat were themselves paranormals, not only unsanctioned by any authority, but actually wanted criminals, who chose to act as judge, jury and executioner.

The Awakened have just gained themselves a really big reputation (and probably Reputation): "The guys who offed Menton," one of the most powerful and feared villains in the world. Everyone, from Dr. Destroyer to UNTIL to national governments, is going to be a lot more concerned about them from now on. Contingency plans will be formulated around them. Any visible actions they take will draw immediate attention. Their very presence in any area or situation may prompt investigation by NPC parties or even PCs.

One other potential angle occurs to me: not even Dr. Destroyer could explain why Menton was so much more powerful than any other human mentalist, including his twin sister. Perhaps some force or agency was reinforcing Menton's native abilities. It might be some symbiotic mass of psionic energy, similar to the Unipower or Phoenix Force from the Marvel Universe, which joined with Alejandro Medina. If so, what will happen to it now that Menton is dead? Will it pass to his sister Mentalla, or another of the Medina family? Will it randomly descend upon another mentalist somewhere in the world, hero, villain or neutral? Or will it bond with a heretofore normal person, creating a new hero or villain?

Alternatively, Menton's power may have been derived from an even mightier entity whose attention was attracted by Destroyer's early experiments to unlock Menton's potential: psionic aliens like the Mandaarians, the Varanyi or the Thane; entities such as the Dragon, a King of Edom, a deity from the Land of Legends, one of the Galaxars, or an Avatar like the Trickster. This entity may have used Menton as an unwitting pawn in its schemes, just as Menton used other humans. What would this entity do now that its pawn has been removed? Would it have designs against the Awakened? Could the PCs be drawn into the middle of its revised plan?