Normal in a Supers Land

Tigereye

OK, bear with me, it's been years since I've played Champions, so I'm still learning the 5th ED version (holy cow!)...

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I'm trying to figure out what the hell to do with my character. I play a normal (albeit a very highly-skilled one) in a super-powered game. :cool: In fact, he'd be a natural for Dark Champions from what I read here, apparently, only he's in a sort-of-four-color game. (I'm still feeling out how the GM is running the campaign.) How do I make the character grow in ways that are not like:

a) Batman (Belt o' gadgets- quick, Robin, the Bat-O-Saw!)

B) The Punisher (Villain too powerful? Get a bigger gun!)

c) Movie James Bond (look! the single gadget fits the plot device exactly!)

etc...etc...

One thing I've done is create two VPPs called Firepower and Protection (and will be creating a third called Mobility). I can't change them except once a scene, and only in a lab or armoury. But I almost want to spell out what the gadgets are ahead of time, to avoid copying a) and c) - any suggestions on what I should have my character carry? Is there anybody with normal characters who try to run their gadget pool this way? What do you use?

Got a pretty cool car right now, but I can't take it everywhere I go. Any suggestions as to the upcoming Mobility pool?

I have multiple SLs; (+1 for everything from All Skills to up to +5 with Pistols) Would I just be better off increasing them?

Does the +1 to All Skills also include +1 to OCV/DCV in most games? (I've been running the character assuming that they don't.)

Any suggestions gratefully accepted. I'm assuming from the threads here that the only dumb questions are the ones that aren't asked.

Re: Normal in a Supers Land

Batman is the classic Normal among Supers. If you don't want to go the gadget master route, groovy, but there's a lot you can do without going camp.

Learn the skill levels rules. Overall Levels add to everything, including OCV and DCV. A half dozen Overall levels and suddenly your "normal" will be making Supers at the same point level look like clumsy kids. Levels with all skills (8 point levels) add only to skills.

Look carefully at the vehicles and bases rules. If you have a Tank, a Jet, a Space Plane, and a Satellite Head Quarters, you're not going to feel overshadowed by the guy who can punch real hard.

Invest in Scholar and Scientist, and ask your GM what KS and SS he'd like to use in the game. You can be the go to guy for exposition and investigation. Ask your GM what other skills he wants to see in play; buy those.

Look through Dark Champions and Pulp Hero for ideas on Super Skills.

HERO Systems is point based; a "normal" built on 350 points with gadgets, super skills and martial arts can be just as formidable as any other 350 point character, depending on the approach you take.

Well' date=' depending on how your GM runs the game you could also go deep into the influence (non combat) arena. Lot's of contacts, multiple identities, etc.[/quote']

Yup, a small army of contacts and followers can be a good buy, if your GM is willing to put up with it. Heck, you can rule your own small country for around 200 points (Head of State, Filthy Rich, Reputation, Bases, Vehicles, Contacts, Followers, Skills).

Yeah, I'm trying to avoid the camp value. Other players can do it; I just can't.

I already have Scholar and J-O-T; Scientist I may leave to others (NPCs and other PCs). Will build up Teamwork and Analyze skills.

Might get the Mobility VPP with a "found vehicle" limitation- he has no real pool of vehicles, but can drive or eventually fly almost anything he can get his hands on. Rental car? Well, he might not get the deposit back, that's for sure...

Hadn't thought of the Contacts/Favors bit...

So the 10-point Skill Bonus includes those OCV and DCV-based, eh? I have one of those!

Thanks, everybody!

Characters are High-Powered level.

Perhaps I should get the Ultimate Skill.

Keep those cards and letters coming to the Save The Normal fund! Thanks to all who have posted so far!

We had a normal Navy SEAL in our original Champions game; at 250 points he was hard pressed to duplicate the real thing but he still managed to be a viable character. With Fifth Edition's 350 starting points I think you could make one who is pretty impressive without getting campy, especially if your GM lets you buy an Equipment Pool per Dark Champions rather than a VPP. Modern military weaponry is quite dangerous to the vast majority of supervillains.

If you're a normal and don't want to be a gadgeteer, consider being a martial artist.

I think the most effective and synergistic martial arts combination is to buy both Kendo and Tai Chi Ch'uan, with bare-hand element for first and blades element for second, so all manuevers are always available. Of course, you may need Ultimate Martial Artist for this.

A "Chi Power" boost to characteristics can help you get those characteristics up into the same range as those so-called superhumans. Also consider tricks like STR as a power, limited "Only to determine what I can Throw with Martial Throw." Even if you can't effectively hang on to the Hulk, if he can't seem to stay on his feet while you're around that will help the rest of the team take him out. You already have some good ideas - teamwork! Tactics! Great ideas, and not just as skills to mark on a character sheet.

Even if you don't want to be "Iron Man" or even "Bat Man" make sure you've got SOME kind of resistant defense.

Overall Skill Levels: Yes. Lots.

When I made a character like this - "Normal Man in Superworld" - I spent over a hundred points on skills. That's not counting things like martial arts. And I DON'T have Ultimate Skill. It would have been useful though....

Remember "non-powered powers." Things bought with power rules, but that aren't meant to be real "superpowers." For example, my character had:

Imaginative Reconstruction AKA “CSI Flashbacks.”AKA“Superslueth.”

This is Retrocognition (psychic power or just the workings of a brilliant subconscious intuition?) that allows the character to “see” the events that led to the evidence he is looking at or has looked at recently; crime scene, body, weapon or tool that was used, etc. It may hit him while actively thinking about it, during meditation, or even while doing something else.

Requires a Meditation roll at -2

Clairvoyance with Retrocognition (40) Rapid: x100, sees 5 minutes of “replay” in 1 phase (+6)Base pts (46)

Blackout (ceases to pay attention to environment) (- ½) No Conscious Control (-2) Skill Roll at reduced penalty (- ¼) Retrocognition only (-1) Must see the evidence (during or before the trance) (- ½) Vague and unclear (won’t solve the crime for him) (- ½) 3 recoverable charges (To recover charges, must examine evidence or actively pursue case, and must make a skill roll on any “detective” type skill)

(- ¾) Burnout 14 (- ¼) Costs END (- ½) Double END (- ½)

Real Cost 6 END 10 Roll 14 Plus Burnout

Must make same roll each phase to continue

(up to 3 phases)

This only comes to 6 Real Points, probably won't come up every adventure, but can be deeply impressive to the rest of the team when your character has a brilliant Sherlock Holmes type deduction that gets everyone looking in the right direction. And this is just one example of the kind of things you can build. I had in mind both the way shows like CSI use "flashbacks" that give a visual of what the evidence implies, and things like a scene from the movie "Judge Dee and the Monastery Murders" in which Dee is meditating at his family shrine when he suddenly stands up, declares "Nobody builds walls ten feet thick!" grabs his assistant and heads to the part of the monastery where he has just realized there MUST be a suite of hidden rooms. If I did it over, I might make the required skill Deduction.

Variable Power Pools: Definitely write up several example powers. That should probably go for ANYONE using this mechanic. And consider your limitations carefully. For example, if you leave off "Focus" as a "universal limitation" to the pool, not all the powers have to be "gadgets" as such. You could buy a special attack that represents a move you've been training in, but that you can quickly lose if you don't keep in practice. Oh, and go into each session with not just the "configuration" you want, but some "back up" alternatives - in case the guy running the game says "no, I don't think you can have that power in your power pool." Or "Not at this time" for whatever reason.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says "Hey, wasn't there a comic book in the 80's called Normal Man about the ONLY non-superpowered person in a world where EVERYONE else had superpowers?"

Extraordinary Skills and Penalty Skill Levels: if you take a -10 to a roll, you can do the Extraordinary: survive a terminal velocity impact, bribe your way out of a prison cell with naught but a ham sandwich, etc. Thus, having a high level of skill allows you to do what in other games is refered to as "critical succeeding" on a regular basis.

You can also purchase Penalty Skill Levels; although the book describes them only for combat, I use them also for non-combat skills. Thus, if you really wanted to, you could purchase Overall Skill +10 (100 active), PSL Only (-1), for 50 real. That might be a bit much, though - for character concept, you shoud probably limit it to the 5 point "All agility rolls" or "all Spy rolls", or something like that.

For a skill-based character Find Weakness would be well within concept, and is a fairly inexpensive way to up your PC's offensive punch without having to raise his Damage Class to superhuman levels. If your character has a variety of smaller attacks in a Power Framework, it would be worth investing in broadening your Find Weakness to cover all of them.

One thing I've done is create two VPPs called Firepower and Protection (and will be creating a third called Mobility). I can't change them except once a scene, and only in a lab or armoury. But I almost want to spell out what the gadgets are ahead of time, to avoid copying a) and c) - any suggestions on what I should have my character carry? Is there anybody with normal characters who try to run their gadget pool this way? What do you use?

Got a pretty cool car right now, but I can't take it everywhere I go. Any suggestions as to the upcoming Mobility pool?

Don't suppose Powered Armor is the answer you were looking for?

Don't suppose Powered Armor is the answer you were looking for?

No, the "Tony Stark"/"Knight Sabres" option was considered briefly and rejected. I had considered creating a pseudo-"Priss".;) But I just prefer the sort of Golden-age non-powered kind of supers, without the excessive moral rectitude. (Our game is "non-CCA", mostly for language and adult situations.)

I have Combat Luck (which I did unearth in the rulebook- very handy, may buy more levels w/ experience) and non-powered armor for that purpose.

never forget the power of a good staff. you can act as the leader of "the support staff".

the soliders that aid you fund them, that cool supersonic jet you own, that base you own it. make your pc the gov't contact for the team you maynot be the leader. see where im going with this?

One thing to remember: you don't have to have characteristics lower than anyone else. That is, you don't have to be slower than an superbeing that doesn't have superspeed, you don't have to be weaker than a superbeing that isn't superstrong, you don't have to have a lower CON than most other characters, and so on.

In particular, you should not feel bound by NCM limits. They were not intended for Champions, were only added to Champions very much later on, and are neither mandatory nor a particularly good idea.

I have a C that I did first when Chapions first came out, at 250 pt. I have played a version of him for over 25+ yrs. He was a 'normal', he was a master martial artist, a detective and inventor.

He had a Suit of Low Powered Power armor that uped he's Physical Abilities.

He used a utility belt with multiple gadgets, A nice supercar /plane /boat /motorcycle, yes he was a Batman type.

He also had find weakness with ALL ATTACKS @ 14<, that was what made him combat wise dangerous, plus he had a nack for figuring out Villians vunrability. That was a skill AK: SuperVillians.

Eventually the Power Armor became a mystic suit of PA, he's utility belt became OIF's weapons of opp, anything in he's hand is a weapon. I never saw him as a normal human. I don't see any C like Batman/Capt. America etc as just human, they are more-than but less-than superhuman.

Some replies to many who have written (very helpful, all):hail:

Ayinde, I was voted the group's leader, but I don't want to be the weakest link in the group. (I guess the fact that I'm the only one I know in the group with Int'l Police Powers may have something to do with being the leader- it's very handy to have a hero on the spot who can officially slap the restraints on the bad guys, while reading them the little arrest speech).

I may have to do what Assault wrote and boost some of my Chars over 20 (I have the over-20 double-cost rule; it gave me a 20-point disad), or take Powers that imitate Chars (Cool/Defensive PRE, Resistance/Defensive EGO, Lightning Reflexes, STR used only for throws, etc.) I tend to like the latter option because they have limitations which restrict their use to given situations. I hate munchkining with my characters, as I hate it when I GM a game.

Unfortunately, Trebuchet, I have to buy all my weapons, armor, vehicles, or gadgets with my own points, unless it's just stuff I can pick up in an adventure. I have over 140 points in Skills already, but it's never enough. I have Tactics at a high level already, but I have to buy Teamwork. It was in the character concept that he was a bit of a loner. Somehow, I missed Analyze while creating the character; I think now I didn't understand what the skill did, but I will pick it up as soon as possible now.

Howzabout as a developable Power: Find Weakness 11-, with Signature Weapon (or a certain maneuver in Martial Arts, like Punch, Bladehand or Spin Kick? hmm...gotta think this one out a bit), must make an Analyze Skill Roll (-1/2); 7 points. Skill seems to be complimentary with Find Weakness, as the rules indicate.

I may have to do what Assault wrote and boost some of my Chars over 20 (I have the over-20 double-cost rule; it gave me a 20-point disad)' date=' or take Powers that imitate Chars (Cool/Defensive PRE, Resistance/Defensive EGO, Lightning Reflexes, STR used only for throws, etc.) I tend to like the latter option because they have limitations which restrict their use to given situations. I hate munchkining with my characters, as I hate it when I GM a game.[/quote']

Since you've taken NCM, you're a bit limited in your choices.

I will reiterate here, for any other newish players, that it is not (generally) required for non-powered characters to take NCM in superheroic campaigns. Furthermore, it is not generally any more "in concept" for them to do so than it is for many other supers. Being able to read minds doesn't (generally) give you superspeed, for example.

It is not munchkinism for "normal" superheroic characters to take characteristics over 20. "Normal" superheroes are legendary figures, far outside the "normal" definition of "normal". They certainly aren't (necessarily) physically or mentally inferior to "real superhumans" in areas not related to the latters' powers.

If you have taken NCM, then you have really only three options. (Four, if you count wheedling the GM into letting you change your character!) You can, of course, buy characteristics up at the doubled cost, which just means that you get hosed for no good reason. Or, you can work around the problem with limited characteristics, aka characteristics bought as powers. If anything, incidentally, the latter is probably the munchkin option, or at least is the one most vulnerable to abuse. Or you can just lump it, and put up with being the least combat effective character in the team.

Personally, I just buy my characteristics up in the first place, and don't take NCM.

Whatever you do, just remember that a character's concept is what defines the mechanical build. A mechanical build does not define a concept. If you want to build Batman, for example, you build a character that works like Batman. You don't build a character, see that he doesn't work like Batman, and say, "well he obviously isn't Batman".

Character conception comes first. Then you build the character.

I will reiterate here, for any other newish players, that it is not (generally) required for non-powered characters to take NCM in superheroic campaigns. Furthermore, it is not generally any more "in concept" for them to do so than it is for many other supers. Being able to read minds doesn't (generally) give you superspeed, for example.

True, but I thought it was in the concept of the character. Also, it did get me 20 points.

It is not munchkinism for "normal" superheroic characters to take characteristics over 20. "Normal" superheroes are legendary figures, far outside the "normal" definition of "normal". They certainly aren't (necessarily) physically or mentally inferior to "real superhumans" in areas not related to the latters' powers.

If you have taken NCM, then you have really only three options. (Four, if you count wheedling the GM into letting you change your character!) You can, of course, buy characteristics up at the doubled cost, which just means that you get hosed for no good reason. Or, you can work around the problem with limited characteristics, aka characteristics bought as powers. If anything, incidentally, the latter is probably the munchkin option, or at least is the one most vulnerable to abuse. Or you can just lump it, and put up with being the least combat effective character in the team.

I don't intend to abuse it; Dognose I GM myself, too, and I wouldn't dare put any other GM thru that stuff . With a few minor limitations, you're really in no bigger danger than anyone else of overdoing it (Increased END, Focus, Concentration, Activation Roll, or Requires a Skill Roll...the latter gives you a good excuse to buy all those skills in the first place!)

The hallmark of Munchkinism is minimaxing- character creation rules at their most abused. Remember, I stuck myself with NCM (I almost took Age, but that would have been wayy out of place). For 20 points, I ensure that my Characteristics rise at a tougher pace, and I don't raise my STR beyond the level of a halfways decent weightlifter. It allows me to "avoid temptation".

Personally, I just buy my characteristics up in the first place, and don't take NCM.

Whatever you do, just remember that a character's concept is what defines the mechanical build. A mechanical build does not define a concept. If you want to build Batman, for example, you build a character that works like Batman. You don't build a character, see that he doesn't work like Batman, and say, "well he obviously isn't Batman".

Maybe we just have a difference of opinion here. NCM was actually part of my character concept; he's a "normal person" whom I'm aware will never be the equal to the other heroes characteristic-wise. (Perhaps I could talk my GM out of NSM now and take another PsychLim, but that would make my character even more of a nut than he is now...) That's OK, though... he's never going to be the equal of the other members of the party in those directions anyhow. My character's not raised by ninjas or wolves, or began intensive physical training to avenge that his parents were whisked to death by Red Claw Acrobats... not that there's anything wrong with these. I'm leaving clever character origins to others. (My character is an orphan, but it didn't scar him emotionally except in pretty normal ways.)

The problem was just in how to implement it without turning him into a smear of reddish goo on a wall after the first couple of fights. Huge difference between dominating physically and just remaining upright, and thereby occasionally surprising the adversaries by using the player's brains. I tend to prefer role-playing vs. roll-playing. (tho I have had my moments of "Screw Method acting! I wanna have my character punch this guy so hard he'll need two ambulances to be delivered to Stronghold!" But then I remember, hey, that's what our Strong Guy is for...)

There have been problems in the interpretation (witness my witless forgetting to buy Analyze), but overall, I'm actually happy with my results. The nature of the question was how other people who have similar characters developed them without truly campy outcomes. So far, I like what I've seen. (Even many of your suggestions have merit, I'll admit; I am not trying to start a flame war.)

The other members of the party have said my character is kind of in the grand tradition of more normal humans leading superhero groups, on a slightly less grand scale than Batman. They like it; I don't step on their lines that way.

But I thank you, assault, for your opinion. As well as everybody else. Like I said at the beginning, I'm the new one here.

Even with Normal Characteristic Maxima you can have a very effective offense particularly with martial arts and good team work.

One of the more effective combinations is for the martial artist to throw the target, rendering it prone and then have an auto-fire attacker attack the same target.

You can stack Armor Piercing Advantage with Find Weakness and Analyze for some staggering results.

Once I had a munchkinny idea of adding "0 Def 3d6 Entangle, Ego not STR, both entangle and target take damage, no range" linked with martial throw. The special effect was the martial artist dumped the target on his or her head causing a minor concussion. The net result was that almost anyone with less than 20 Ego took an entire phase to stand up after being thrown (1/2 phase to break the entangle, 1/2 phase to stand up from being thrown). It was a very cost effective way to deal with the additional point or two of speed that most supers had on my character.

I also added 2d6 Endurance Drain to simulate heart punches and blows to the solar plexus, which has been surprisingly effective in lower powered games where folks still pay endurance for their powers.

Playing a "Normal" requires a lot more forethought to be effective because you have fewer opportunities to act, tend to act later in the phase (but you will often be holding a phase so this won't come up near as often as you might otherwise think), but can still be a very effective combatant, particularly when you stack effects: Find Weakness, Armor Piercing; Analyze, Skill Levels, Auto Fire, Auto fire Skills, multiple attack powers.

My questions would be:

1. Do you want to do your offense in hand to hand, or range?

2. Have you thought of "enhanced healing" even 1d6 Aid to Stun, standard effect, 0 End, Inherent goes a long way.

3. Damage reduction?

4. What about set up work? Like laying down a darkness field that most enemies cannot see through but which your teammates can? (Darkness with Personal Immunity is an especially useful power for the "Normal" martial artist.

Also, don't belittle the ownage a skilled normal can have

A Str 20 Normal can carry two battleaxes one handed, with Two-Weapon Fighting, Martial Arts and a MA DC or two, you get

4 4d6 HKA's for no OOCV penalty and a -1/2 DCV (which isn't that bad since your DCV goes from a max of 7 to 4 and easily recovered with levels, or even the Martial Maneuver itself Defensive strike is +3 DCV). If you can handle the OCV penalties it could be 6 4d6 HKA's at -2 OCV.

Even Bricks with 40 rpd will stand up and take notice, or drool unconsciously on the floor.

or Two Weapon Fighting, Rapid Auto Fire, Rapid Fire with 2 Mac 10's 2d6 RKA AF 5 (okay so Mac 10's are techniquely 2d6-1, but I hate non-round dice).

Probably not enough for Bricks, but maybe enough for that pesky Martial Artist or Energy Projector. And you can target both of them in the same phase.

Since you've taken NCM, you're a bit limited in your choices.

He should take NCM and raise characteristics above 20, as long as he's benefitting from it.

One example:

NCM (gives 20 points)

DEX 23 (costs 9 points extra because of NCM)

STR 25 (costs 5 points extra because of NCM)

INT 23 (costs 3 points extra because of NCM)

This character is 3 points cheaper than one who does not have NCM.

Of course if you want also BOD and CON above 20 (and SPD above 4!), it can very easily become a losing proposition to take NCM. Also, one must take character development into account. The "NCM game" no doubt works best for characters intended as being static in terms of characteristics.

Are sigs automatically appended in this forum?

Pardon me if I sum up all this...

(You guys are good :))

not all of these suggestions are useful or even quite within the character concept, but all may be useful to others creating similar characters!

(a STR and BODY increase are in order, and even DEX, if I want to be a bit point-inefficient over 20)

Things to get:

Analyze

Damage Resistance

Find Weakness

Autofire

Mental Defense

More PD/ED (especially resistant)

PS:Leadership?

Aid (in several forms)

More points in SLs and OCV/DCV

Martial Art maneuvers, DCs and SLs

Melee Weapon WFs and Maneuvers (and DCs)

Spelled-out foci for VPPs

Thank you!

He should take NCM and raise characteristics above 20, as long as he's benefitting from it.

This character is 3 points cheaper than one who does not have NCM.

This is only true if the character hasn't maxed out his Disadvantage total some other way.

Say you have two characters, one with NCM, and one without. Both are 350 point (200 + 150) characters.

If the NCM character doesn't buy anything about the NCM limits, the disadvantage doesn't limit him. It does, however, mean that he will be relatively slow (SPD 4) and fragile compared to most other characters built on the same points. He's received a "free" disadvantage, but can't fight his way out of a wet paper bag.

If he exceeds the NCM limits, he is paying extra points to do so. In effect, he is built on fewer than 350 points. The more points he spends this way, the fewer points he is effectively built on.

The other character has an extra 20 points of disadvantages compared to the NCM character. That's an extra 20 points of roleplaying hooks - 20 points of stuff intended to make the character more fun to play. He can at least match the NCM character in any respect you care to name - he is built on exactly the same points - and may actually be superior, if the NCM character ended up "wasting" points by buying Chars beyond the NCM limits.

And his character conception can be exactly the same. He can be the same character.

Only better.

IMO invest in nuclear weapons.

If you can't get your hands on nuclear weapons, how are your social skills looking? In some games, having a "face man" may not come up too often, but a nice combo of social (PRE) skills can come in handy in certain situations.

A bag of marbles is also sometimes handy, if you're short on social skills and nuclear weapons. Or oil, even. Strategically placed, you could potentially have your own shooting gallery of enemy agents!

I always liked Night Man's taser-gloves. I liked 'em because my PC Striker had 'em first. =P Adding a little Energy HA or NND to your punches can come in handy for overcoming high physical defenses, and is a little less brute force looking (aesthetically anyway, if a character sheet can be aesthetic) than a ton of DCs. (Cheaper too.)