A tip OIF the hat: How to remove Crowns

Boll Weevil

Me again.

How would you go about removing the Crowns from the friends of Krim? They are bought as OIFs but, well, they're hats. Usually Inaccessible foci are things like whole suits of armor. That makes sense. It can be removed but it will take a can opener and some extra time. What does it take to remove a crown, preferably in real terms, not in game terms?

Re: A tip OIF the hat: How to remove Crowns

Pretty much what Treb said' date=' but if they are held or entangled, you can, within the scope of the rules, theoretically remove them just as easily as if they were unconscious.[/quote']

But of course that wouldn't quite fit the SFX of the Crowns. As a GM I would say that it would be fair to require the Crowns to be unconsious first in exchange for waiving the one-Turn-out-of-combat time requirement. Once a Crown is in la-la land you can instantly snatch his topper.

Just FWIW, I got rid of the Focus Lim for the Crowns when I used them in my campaign. I was never comfortable with the inconsistent proportion of the powers that were innate to the transformed Crown-wearers, and those that they needed the Crowns to use, between each of the villains.

In our storyline, my character, an incarnation of the archangel Gabriel, ended up taking the Crowns [not the people but the artefacts] up to heaven. Seemed the best 'final' solution after we had gotten them off of their heads.

Gabriel ended taking Dark Seraph's head too, but not up to heaven with him.

In our storyline' date=' my character, an incarnation of the archangel Gabriel, ended up taking the Crowns [not the people but the artefacts'] up to heaven.

To be honest, I think that the Crowns belong anywhere else but heaven, and would be destroyed instead.

Of course, that depends on your version of "heaven". Maybe it has a special room where Eeevil Things can be locked away.

OK, so let's say you removed the crowns. Good jorb there. I wonder if the crowns would compel a less than pure hero to put it on. I don't want to rip too heavily off the LOTR but that is how the Crowns each came to wear their respective party hats. Would the crowns bestow the same powers to another wearer or would the powers better fit with the new owner's personality?

OK' date=' so let's say you removed the crowns. Good jorb there. I wonder if the crowns would compel a less than pure hero to put it on. I don't want to rip too heavily off the LOTR but that is how the Crowns each came to wear their respective party hats. Would the crowns bestow the same powers to another wearer or would the powers better fit with the new owner's personality?[/quote']

I like this line of thinking... so tempting to put on the Crown... but I would use it for good!!!

To be honest, I think that the Crowns belong anywhere else but heaven, and would be destroyed instead.

Of course, that depends on your version of "heaven". Maybe it has a special room where Eeevil Things can be locked away.

Well them being destroyed was kind of the point. You know, bring them to the big G_d and let him destroy them while singing nyah-nyah so loud that all of Hell could hear.

Made for a great storey reason to switch up the character a bit - radiation accident type of thing. Gabriel gives the Crowns to the Big Man, who rewards him with a soul and sends him back to earth - voila, a much more interesting character to play!

I like this line of thinking... so tempting to put on the Crown... but I would use it for good!!!

I used that as the indirect origin for one of my favorite characters. :)

His father was a strong willed mystic in WWII, who used the "Emerald Crown" to become a Hero. The father was eventually overcome by the crown, and had to be put down by his fellow heroes, but the son inherited his father's mystic potential. Made for a fun Golden Age / Silver Age Green Lantern homage.

OK' date=' so let's say you removed the crowns. Good jorb there. I wonder if the crowns would compel a less than pure hero to put it on. I don't want to rip too heavily off the LOTR but that is how the Crowns each came to wear their respective party hats. Would the crowns bestow the same powers to another wearer or would the powers better fit with the new owner's personality?[/quote']

I think they get the same powers, but customized to the personality of the "crown bearer". For example, if someone managed to take the Shining Crown from Phoenix, they might end up with plasma/napalm powers instead of fire, or perhaps a "dark-light" type power, but with similar mechanical effects.

OK, lemme see if I got this then. Vigorously applied violence seems to be the recommended approach, preferably with a mystical hazmat team present.

Sounds like a plan. I think we should get the drop on them one at a time, preferably using extremely heavy objects.

BTW has anyone come up with additional Crowns with their own distinctive themes?

So far I've introduced The Coral Crown with powers over water and sea-life; The Glacial Crown with cold and ice powers; and I had planned to bring in The Forest Crown controlling wood and plantlife including a variety of spores and pollens, but never got around to it. Both the Coral and Glacial Crowns were worn by women, because IMO the Crowns of Krim could use some gender balance.

The Jade Crown - Created by the gods of China and handed down, generation to generation, among the Jade Knights. The Jade Knights were tasked to protect China from supernatural menaces, including the Crowns of Krim. Essentially a Green Lantern style power ring.