wheel of time

steph

Re: wheel of time

:D

Guidelines and HERO writeups for The One Power, Ogier, Angreal, Ter'angreal and Sa'angreal, Channelling and Burnout, cutting one off from the Source, Linking and Circles, the Blademaster Arts, and some creatures:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2338

Magic system writeups:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24376

Full character writeups for Lan, Mat, and an average Warder:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=766486

[Note the character background summaries in the preceding posts.]

Full writeup for a Myrrdraal:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=766492

As much as I despise wizards, there is a d20 book on the Wheel of Time setting (maybe a series of them, not sure) and my friend, who is a big WoT buff, says that it is excellent material.

It should be pretty easy to convert.

Yep. Published by Wizards of the Coast in 2001. Go check it out the list of game designers involved - one name familiar to Hero System players should stand out.

There was also (I believe) one adventure published: Prophecies of the Dragon

Indeed. :eg:

Hey' date=' they can rag on me all they want, but there's no way in the Nine Hells I'm putting WOT in [b']my[/b] bibliography. I'd sooner put those wretched LOTR movies in the filmography; at least they're nice advertisements for the New Zealand real estate industry.

And people say I kill trees needlessly when I write. What an absolutely awful bunch of books.

Hey, everyone's entitled to their opinion. At least Steve's is unambiguous. :angel:

I actually think the Wheel of Time stories are some of the best written. There are times about midway when it gets somewhat tedious, but overall, I like them. My only problem is that the author has a debilitating and life-threatening illness. I doubt very much we will see the end of the series written. Shame really.

Wath is the problem with wheel of time series??...............

i am now at the 3rd book (dragon reborn and it good for now)

stef

Many people find them to be unnecessarily long-winded, poorly written, rife with inacurate cliche's and completely pedestrian.

Personaly, I enjoy them, but I do see where some people get their ideas from. Its not the best written tale I've ever read, but it works well. My only problem with Jordans writing style (which is better than a lot of writers, IMO) is that he's completely obsessed with minutia to a ridiculous degree. The first 3 to 5 books are quite good. They set the mood of the tale quite nicely and those books are the reason the tale is so widely read, however later books become bogged down in mundane minutia to the point you'll want to throttle Jordan and scream at him "GET ON WITH IT ALREADY!"

Wath is the problem with wheel of time series??...............

i am now at the 3rd book (dragon reborn and it good for now)

stef

There are many, many ways I could answer this - all of them disparaging towards these books. However, it's snowing outside, I've got a big cup of Starbucks, so I'm in a good mood; so I'm pretty much just gonna let it slide on. All I'll say is this: even the very best of writers can have trouble living (and writing) up to hype that frequently urrounds them - and he's not one of the best.

Many people find them to be unnecessarily long-winded, poorly written, rife with inacurate cliche's and completely pedestrian.

Personaly, I enjoy them, but I do see where some people get their ideas from. Its not the best written tale I've ever read, but it works well. My only problem with Jordans writing style (which is better than a lot of writers, IMO) is that he's completely obsessed with minutia to a ridiculous degree. The first 3 to 5 books are quite good. They set the mood of the tale quite nicely and those books are the reason the tale is so widely read, however later books become bogged down in mundane minutia to the point you'll want to throttle Jordan and scream at him "GET ON WITH IT ALREADY!"

That's exactly it. Personally I didn't mind some of the minutia, but certain things like the Bowl of Winds just took too long to get through. There was a lot of literary inertia in those sections and I can imagine that whole thing could have been resolved much quicker.

On the HERO side, I've pretty much given up on balancing channelers with other characters. Basically they are like Jedi in a Star Wars campaign or Magi in an Ars Magica campaign. They are just more powerful than the "non-gifted" characters. Toss in a medium to huge multipower with non-Fixed slots and you have a channeler.

Pretty much - I gave up at book 6.

I liked the setting - some of the characters as well - but the plot kind of evaporated at that stage.

It actually came back in the later books, but I would say books 5 - 9 could have been condensed into about two books and been a lot more fun. The very last book was really a fun read. Reminded me of the earlier books in that there was, you know, action and adventure in it.

Nolgroth you mean Jordan got a real mental illenes?

stef

He has a terminal illness with a mean life expectancy of 4 years. It is unlikely that he will finish the books but his treatment is going very well so we will have to see what happens. He has made preperations for the "final chapter" to be written should he not finish the race.

He has a terminal illness with a mean life expectancy of 4 years. It is unlikely that he will finish the books but his treatment is going very well so we will have to see what happens. He has made preperations for the "final chapter" to be written should he not finish the race.

That's sad. I checked out his blog, and it looks like he's gotten some good test results recently, but I don't know the particulars of his illness, nor do I know if the prognosis is any better.

I'm not a fan of his writing - I read the first book, but just couldn't continue after that. He has some great ideas, but something in his writing style just rubbed me the wrong way. It also reminded me of the Belgariad in many ways, which has a lot of similarities to other books/movies as well (orphan farm boy does good etc. etc.)

I should put it on the list to go back and try, but the list keeps getting longer...

His Conan Pastiches were good - that was when he had an editor telling him he had to condense all the plot and action into 250 pages. John Maddox Roberts had a better feel for Conan the Character than he did, but before wheel of time there was a time when he could write a tight, fast-paced story. Their some of the better Conan pastiches, actually.

I'm not a fan of his writing - I read the first book' date=' but just couldn't continue after that. He has some great ideas, but something in his writing style just rubbed me the wrong way. It also reminded me of the Belgariad in many ways, which has a lot of similarities to other books/movies as well (orphan farm boy does good etc. etc.) [/quote']I read the Belgariad many years before the Wheel of Time. After reading the Belgariad a second time, after the Wheel of Time, I was struck by just how similar many of the characters are. Rand and Garion are not the only two characters that are similar between the books.

• 2 weeks later...

NSG has stated it well, but my my biggest problems with them: 11 books and NOTHING HAS BEEN RESOVLED.

Okay he's actually removed the taint, but a book and a half later and NO ONE knows about it.

The book is filled with women but they all have 1 of 3 personalites: Servent, Strong Willed, Stronger Willed.