Classic Marvel Superheroes RPG

nexus

Nice site with a great deal of the material for the game available for free as pdfs (legally) and some net books material as well ncluding a update for the rules though it gets rid of something I liked about them and adds ones of my personal pet peeves in rpgs, specfically it drops the Fighting Ability and bases "hit" rolls in Melee combat on Strength. I have kind of a soft spot in my heart for this game I admit and if you do as well, you may find this useful or at least entertaining.

Classic Marvel

Guest Major Tom

Re: Classic Marvel Superheroes RPG

I've visited that site myself recently, and downloaded some of the stuff. Be

warned, though: some of the files have apparently become damaged in some

way, as I found out when I downloaded the third book of the Nightmares

of Future Past, only to find out that it wouldn't open because of said

damage. Fortunately, one of the other sites in the "Web Links" section has

those same files, and which can be opened after you finish downloading

them. It's called "Kythri's marvelrpg.net", for those who are interested.

Major Tom ;)

Guest Major Tom

Good find. Now if they could find the Adventurer's Club article where they converted MSH ranks to Champions statistics' date=' we'd be all set.[/quote']

I can't help you as far as the AC article in question is concerned; how-

ever, if you go to Lord Liaden's "Other RPGs Converted to HERO System"

thread, and scroll down to the Marvel Super Heroes section, you'll find two

links that have something you might be able to use.

Major Tom :cool:

I can't help you as far as the AC article in question is concerned; how-

ever, if you go to Lord Liaden's "Other RPGs Converted to HERO System"

thread, and scroll down to the Marvel Super Heroes section, you'll find two

links that have something you might be able to use.

Major Tom :cool:

*slaps forehead*

I should have thought of LL's page.

Good find. Now if they could find the Adventurer's Club article where they converted MSH ranks to Champions statistics' date=' we'd be all set.[/quote']

Have the book, all of the actually, but I doubt Steve would be happy posting as scan :)

• 3 years later...

I've got a MSHRPG random char-gen program that somebody made, and it's fun to fool around with. A lot of the results are rather bizarre (a centaur-alien that can turn into a rubber ball, make other things smaller, and re-animate the dead? And knows kung fu?), but sometimes you get an interesting one that provides inspiration for a character. Once I get home I'll see if I can find a link.

I've been curious about MSH for quite some time' date=' considering how it seems to be the heavyweight classic supers RPG right after Champions.[/quote']

I actually ran MSH before I ran Champions, and actually ran both the Advanced MSH and Champions at the same time. Champions is definitely the better game of the two, but I was satisfied with both Marvel games. It's just in this area, Champions caught on, Marvel never really did. I actually think the two games which had the biggest following after Champions was V&V and DC Heroes. Most of the players of those eventually converted.

I actually ran MSH before I ran Champions' date=' and actually ran both the Advanced MSH and Champions at the same time. Champions is definitely the better game of the two, but I was satisfied with both Marvel games. It's just in this area, Champions caught on, Marvel never really did. I actually think the two games which had the biggest following after Champions was V&V and DC Heroes. Most of the players of those eventually converted.[/quote']

I have a friend who played with a group that liked DC Heroes. I've been curious about that one too. Then there's me, who started with... *gulp* Heroes Unlimited...

I have a friend who played with a group that liked DC Heroes. I've been curious about that one too. Then there's me' date=' who started with... *gulp* Heroes Unlimited...[/quote']

I played DC Heroes for a short time and while I don't know exactly why, I really enjoyed playing it. Perhaps it was the dice rolling system (doubles grant additional rolls) or the hero point system. The game also had its flaws imho. In our experience even small differences in stat values resulted in combats that did not match up in terms of the comics. For example, with a DEX of 10, few of Batman's enemies could even hit him even after a hero point bidding war.

Anyone find the character write-ups on the classic marvel forever site? I think I remember that the old site had an extensive write-up section.

[edit] Nevermind, I found em. Click on the pic of Cap for the a link to the old profiles. http://classicmarvelforever.com/cast_list/all.htm

I have a friend who played with a group that liked DC Heroes. I've been curious about that one too. Then there's me' date=' who started with... *gulp* Heroes Unlimited...[/quote']

Got Heroes Unlimited too. Too a couple of things out of it and incorporated it into my Champions campaign.

DC Heroes was flawed, in my opinion, but too few ratings for power levels. Characters were grouped together, power wise, who in the comics were actually worlds apart. MSH suffered from the same issue in the first edition. Advanced MSH added additional catagories, but still had some characters that had the same rating for attributes which really weren't equal in the comics either. Champions was a fair bit more flexible at that than either the DC or Marvel games.

I've got more Superhero RPGs than one can shake a stick at. Only thing in common is that most of them are poorly done (I've got one from Australia which I swear was written by someone who's never read a superhero comic of any type). I actually stuck with 4th Edition Champions long after 5th came out, and just recently finally broke down last year and bought that along with a slew of the Ultimate Power books. Am running 5th right now and have no intentions of going to 6th (frankly, two rulebooks the size of 5th edition are, to me, just a bit too much).

Ahh MSH ... I used to dig that game :) I loved the Karma mechanics and how simple it was to make a character ... around here, MSH was the big supers system, followed by Champions, V&V and DC Heroes ... mind you, I also had played Heroes Unlimited, Superworld, Enforcers and Golden Heroes as well ... heck, we played everything that we could back then ;)

DC Heros was remarkably good at scaling up to stratospheric power levels as of course it had to be. But one thing it didn't do even a little well was any kind of gadget-based character. And it was weak at low power levels. Also I really didn't like that it divorced attributes and skills the same way Shadowrun did.