Megascale and Teleport Sighting

Blue

The more I GM, the more things come up that I can't spot. Speaking of spotting...

A character with Megascale Teleport (Scalable) is typically able to hit their distance marks for memorized locations. Especially this one, who has direction sense and eidetic memory.

But what about teleporting 100 Miles by sight. I realize Tport isn't explicity "line of sight". Does anyone see a problem with a character doing a 100 mile teleport across an open area to a spot they can't see? (In this case, across the ocean, presumably above the water, so there would be some falling at the end).

I picture it's not a problem over such an open area, barring unluck rolls of course.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Megascale and Teleport Sighting

I've rarely seen a character with Megascaled Teleport that did not also have a number of Fixed or Floating Locations and/or Safe Blind Teleport. Unless the teleporter has some really good senses, any teleport he makes that's Megascale is done blind, and needs Fixed/Floating Locations or SBT to arrive safely.

Well, here's the scenario:

The heroes are 157 Miles out to sea on an aquatic base. Rather than take a boat which will take far too long to get to land and then back out to see, the teleporter (who is on land) will go out to meet them, memorize a location there, bring them back to land to a memorized spot and then take them back out there to complete their task later.

So the problem isn't getting back to a spot on land or to a memorized location within range; It's teleporting about 100 Miles out to sea, which is a distance she can't see.

She does have unluck (which will be rolled) but aside from that, is there any other rule impediment I need to keep in mind with a blind megascale teleport over open terrain (Aside from unluck and making sure she lands above the water but not too high)?

...It's teleporting about 100 Miles out to sea' date=' [b']which is a distance she can't see[/b].

Emphasis mine. Full stop, right there. She can't see her target location, hence it's a blind teleport and applicable rules regarding blind teleports apply. Simple.

For the points, SBT is a must-buy for any teleporter able to jump beyond his line of sight, IMO.

Well, here's the scenario:

The heroes are 157 Miles out to sea on an aquatic base. Rather than take a boat which will take far too long to get to land and then back out to see, the teleporter (who is on land) will go out to meet them, memorize a location there, bring them back to land to a memorized spot and then take them back out there to complete their task later.

So the problem isn't getting back to a spot on land or to a memorized location within range; It's teleporting about 100 Miles out to sea, which is a distance she can't see.

She does have unluck (which will be rolled) but aside from that, is there any other rule impediment I need to keep in mind with a blind megascale teleport over open terrain (Aside from unluck and making sure she lands above the water but not too high)?

Ouch. I can see to easy solutions: 1. Sorry, you just can't teleport that far without seeing your target location, it's far to dangerous to attempt. 2. It's done, GM fiat/plot device, the character just makes it there, memorizes what he needs to memorize and it's all taken care of.

You could use the rules for Teleporting blind, but I don't know what the effects of a successful or failed roll would be. A megascaled teleport uses a kilometer sized hex, and the character could theoretically appear anywhere inside it.

Just a cool idea: build the megascale pwoer as a rapid-fire teleport, or a "teleport on water". She ports shorter distances multiple times, but each port is so fast that she's never in one spot long enough to sink below the surface. The end result is a megascale teleport.

And what is the minimum rPD you need to be able to fly at Megascale?

in other words... be careful gimping your players powers unless they have an actual Limitation on the power. Gimping powers because of the "logic" that they lack additional Skills or powers that aren't inherently linked to the Power is a slippery slope. Like my Flight Example above, there should be a certain amount of "it works because I paid points for it to work" assumed in such cases.

Not saying I wouldn't game it some, as GM, but don't utterly gimp the player's Megascale port without thinking it through.

And what is the minimum rPD you need to be able to fly at Megascale?

in other words... be careful gimping your players powers unless they have an actual Limitation on the power. Gimping powers because of the "logic" that they lack additional Skills or powers that aren't inherently linked to the Power is a slippery slope. Like my Flight Example above, there should be a certain amount of "it works because I paid points for it to work" assumed in such cases.

Not saying I wouldn't game it some, as GM, but don't utterly gimp the player's Megascale port without thinking it through.

Well, it isn't gimping the power though. It is straight by the rules. If you cannot perceive where you are teleporting to with a Targeting sense, it is a blind teleport. There are already rules for it and everything (5ER 367).

Emphasis mine. Full stop, right there. She can't see her target location, hence it's a blind teleport and applicable rules regarding blind teleports apply. Simple.

For the points, SBT is a must-buy for any teleporter able to jump beyond his line of sight, IMO.

For the record, LOS at sea level is 13.2 nautical Miles

Same thing applies to Mega Flight as well but just a few levels of Enhanced Senses will cover the penalties associated with the minimum speeds below.

80 Air Express!: Multipower, 80-point reserve - END=

8u 1) 1st Gear: Flight 5", x128 Noncombat, No Turn Mode (+1/4), rapid Noncombat movement (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (80 Active Points) [Notes: Maximum Speed = 640" per phase or ~ 1440 mph with SPD 6.] - END=0

8u 2) 2nd Gear: Flight 10", No Turn Mode (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Noncombat acceleration/deceleration (+1), MegaScale (1" = 1,000 km; +1), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4) (80 Active Points) [Notes: Minimum Speed = 500" per phase or ~ 1125 mph with SPD 6.] - END=0

I'm not going to rebuild the power. Just wanted to ajudicate it properly. The main purpose for buying it was to reach those all important memorized locales. This was just a first time that this particular use came up.

You can make a roll to do a blind teleport versus the megascale sized hex you want to be in by rolling against the hex's DCV 3. You take a -5 penalty. This works fine for an area you can make a visual guess as to where you want to be (ie, on the other side of a wall that you guesstimate to be 15" or so).

The problem is that any time you try and "attack" a hex you can't get a line of sight on (ie 100 miles away with no super senses) you are at OCV 0. So against a DCV 3 Hex you can roll an 8 or less. And that only gets you in the 1km or greater radius.

As a genral rule, I'd require a sense to perceive with. If the character had unluck on top of that, I'd have a field day with their long range blind teleports.

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53353

The more I GM, the more things come up that I can't spot. Speaking of spotting...

A character with Megascale Teleport (Scalable) is typically able to hit their distance marks for memorized locations. Especially this one, who has direction sense and eidetic memory.

But what about teleporting 100 Miles by sight. I realize Tport isn't explicity "line of sight". Does anyone see a problem with a character doing a 100 mile teleport across an open area to a spot they can't see? (In this case, across the ocean, presumably above the water, so there would be some falling at the end).

I picture it's not a problem over such an open area, barring unluck rolls of course.

Safe Blind Teleport is highly recommended when Teleporting Megascale. :) I don't have a problem with someone basically declaring his teleport to be, say, "two miles, THATAWAY" as opposed to going 'there'.

I'm not going to rebuild the power. Just wanted to ajudicate it properly. The main purpose for buying it was to reach those all important memorized locales. This was just a first time that this particular use came up.

I've thought about it, and given this last statement I definitely would have plot deviced it. If it helped the story along, let him do it just this once (and figure out how to pay for it only if the player wanted to do it again).

DRAT!! You beat me to it. This is what I get for taking a break to eat. That's it...no more eating.

Safe Blind Teleport is highly recommended when Teleporting Megascale. :) I don't have a problem with someone basically declaring his teleport to be' date=' say, "two miles, THATAWAY" as opposed to going 'there'.[/quote']

SO true. Range Penalties are (off the top of my head) -16 for 1.27 miles? Yeah, good luck with that targetting roll. Without some kind of additional Adder/Power/Advantage help you are plain old screwed.

No Range Modifiers is legal on Teleport' date=' right?[/quote']

Hmm. I thought it was an Attack Only mod...lemme check HD. HD says that NRM can only be applied to Ranged Powers. Methinks Teleport is Movement and not ranged. Shrug.

Well' date=' IMG, to quote Judge Mills Lane, "I'll allow it!"[/quote']

Back in the old Pen-n-Paper days, I would have too. These days I try and stick rather hard to what HD says. Not that is anything to dissuade you, it's just easier to let HD tell me what is legal! :)

Just call me lazy! :) :)