SPX Ideas for Drain Magnetism Power

S7Michelle

My Champions character is going to need to come up with a way to quickly stop one of her teammates when she loses her temper (enraged) and decides to attack on newspaper reporters, protesters, and other innocents.

My character is a matter controller/creator with a fairly extensive VPP (think Firestorm’s powers set). My teammate’s character has magnetism powers (pretty much anything Magneto can do, she can duplicate).

While I can easily create the drain itself, I’m having a hard time determining the special effects/justification. If it was drain fire powers, I’d just create water. But I’m not quite sure what to create to drain magnetism powers.

Any suggestions? The fate of the campaign’s reporters rests in your hands.

Re: SPX Ideas for Drain Magnetism Power

Maybe a non-metalic (ceramic) superconducting faraday cage?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

Faraday cage

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

180px-Elektrisch_dode_kamer_%28kooi_van_Faraday%29.JPG magnify-clip.png

Entrance to a Faraday room

A Faraday cage or Faraday shield is an enclosure formed by conducting material, or by a mesh of such material. Such an enclosure blocks out external static electrical fields. Faraday cages are named after physicist Michael Faraday, who built one in 1836 and explained its operation.

The electrical charges in the enclosing conductor repel each other and will therefore always reside on the outside surface of the cage. Any external static electrical field will cause the charges to rearrange so as to completely cancel the field's effects in the cage's interior. This effect is used for example to protect electronic equipment from lightning strikes and other electrostatic discharges.

To a large degree, Faraday cages also shield the interior from external electromagnetic radiation if the conductor is thick enough and its meshes, if present, are significantly smaller than the radiation's wavelength. This application of Faraday cages is explained under electromagnetic shielding.

Not exactly a Drain per se, but it could be built as Force Wall, Only vs. Magnetic and Electrical Powers.

Flash of light, heavy on the UV, and a powerful stink of ozone. She partially ionizes the air around the target, making it electrically conducting and magnetically susceptible. Manipulating magnetic fields through a plasma requires much more work, as it tends to drag the plasma around with it.

Can your character create an Entangle made of conductive metal wire? Throw a coil of that around her, with the ends fixed in the ground. Magnetic fields passing through a conductive coil use up their energy generating electricity (well, not completely, but close enough for comic-book science), and because the coil is grounded the electricity will dissipate harmlessly into the earth (again, with just a touch of rubber in your science). ;)

I know heat and kinetic impacts can degauss magnets, randomizing the internal electrons, neutralizing the charge.

If I were the Professor on Gilligan's Island, I'd create some kind of sustained harmonic-oscillation field, tuned to precisely target ferrous metals, and which was intense enough to significantly agitate all such metals in range of the Magneto-clone with sonar-kinetic vibrations, which could 'theoretically' create a region of space which acted to counter telemagnetic powers by physically "shaking out" the magnetic charges within them as they were being created by the Magneto-clone. :P

I'd make it "Noisy", and link/side-effect both an Uncontrolled AoE Flash to Hearing, and an Uncontrolled AoE AVLD (Hearing Flash DEF) 1d6 EB "Does BODY"... as I would imagine it to be like turning all the metal in the area into an ear-shattering god-bell/speaker-system.

Or, if you have hyper-space FTL technology, I think you could just create a warp-bubble around her. Electro-magnetism is dependent on special relativity.

Might not be the greatest tactic to preserve smooth team relations, though. ;) I also doubt it would be the best way to bring someone out of Enraged. And that bonk had better take the Enraged teammate down with the first shot, or else the bonker may quickly find himself becoming the bonkee.