Traveller Hero Launches!

Polaris

Hi all,

I just wanted to let everyone that is not following the Traveller Hero Update thread to know that the first couple of products are now up for sale. We are hoping to keep a fairly steady stream of new products well into the future.

In honor of the coming together of the world's greatest RPG system with one of the most beloved sci fi settings, we are running a SALE at our online store for 20% off everything (until April 6). You can learn more by clicking: http://www.comstar-games.com

William

ComStar

Re: Traveller Hero Launches!

I bought the first two products. I can't complain about the price. There is definetly enough there that I can make use of for my star hero game... However, the deckplans are not only not on a hex grid, they are also on a scale of 1 square to 1.5 meters. When buying a product for a hero system that advertises maps (deckplans) I expect that the map will be on a hex grid and the grid will be something easy to scale to the standard 2 meter hex.

Any chance you will be issuing a more immediately useable (on a 1 hex = 2m hex grid) set of deck plans? If not I recommend putting in a qualifier in the description about the deck plans included stating they are on a square grid of 1 sq = 1.5 m

In honor of the release of Traveller Hero, and with the permission of Doug Berry who wrote At Close Quarters, and GURPS Traveller-Ground Forces

The Traveller Saga

(by Douglas & Kirsten Berry)

(music: "American Pie" by Don McLean, used without permission)

A long, long time ago,

I can still remember how the first game stirred my soul

Known Space on the StarForce map

A fist of stolen dice and that

Was all it took to make my dreams take flight

Every weekend at the game store

With my ten hard-earned bucks to buy more

Now twenty years have flown past

With wars and life and mishaps

I know I'm not that wide-eyed teen

But I still look up and I still dream

Whatever comes I do believe

I still will play this game

(Chorus)

So bye bye, I'm goin' Travellin' tonight

The rules set may be changing

But the concept's all right

And it lets me travel through the stars and through time

Saying: Gonna play this game 'til I die

Gonna play this game 'til I die

Do you remember when CT

Was only Books 1,2, and 3

and a homespun setting that you wrote

Do you recall Bill and Andrew Keith

Early FASA and JG

All the products out to help us play

And slowly the Imperium came to light

With enemies for us to fight

Then in Supplement 3

We met the Zhodani

It was a glorious time of change and growth

And we couldn't ever get enough

So we sat down and wrote our own stuff

And I still played this game

I told my mother...

(Chorus)

Then came some folks called DGP

About as passionate as you or me

About this universe we'd made

They filled in all the holes and cracks

They fixed some rules, they wrote a patch

And changed the way the game was played

But GDW had a plan

Strephon died at an assassin's hand

The Imperium fell to war

Much worse than before

And in '87 we got MT

To play through this galactic catastrophe

But the new rules didn't mean much to me

'cause I still played the game

I told my girlfriend.

(Chorus)

For six years, we played through Hard Times

While pretenders fled and planets died

And we wondered how it all would end

Then we got the horrid news

about a Virus that would use

any means to kill humaniti

TNE made its bright debut

While the Old Timers hissed and booed

Much dissent was spoken

The TML was broken!

And while X-Boat waxed on days gone by

GDW up and died

The hard core fans sent up a cry

They can't have killed our game

They told their children...

(Chorus)

Then Marc Miller took back control

And promised Traveller like we had before

But did they try to push too fast?

For T4 was a sorry mess

Barely edited and the rest

Of the releases, well they didn't shine much more

The authors grumbled we've not been paid

Imperium Games quietly sped away

Then Loren brought our reprieve

A deal with Evil Steve

A return to all those Classic themes

Of hard-sf and future dreams

It may be GURPS, but what the beans?

I still will play this game

We'll tell our grandkids...

(Chorus)

(slowly)

Now twenty years and more have past

From first edition to the last

But the setting is the game to me

I went down to my local store

Where I bought the first books years before

But that store now is part of history

And nowadays the kids play Magic

Glitterboys or Vampires tragic

No more the sound of parties-

Instead, the hum of PCs

And books for which I once did lust

Sit on the shelf collecting dust

But I have them and that's enough

For still, I play this game

(Chorus, slowly)

(Chorus)

We've had a few hiccups along the way (day jobs, life as we know it), but we're getting close. As it now stands, we're going to have 2 Starship Construction chapters - the Simplified Version that is like book 2 but with HERO Values (no writeups), and the Full Version that has all the various pieces with writeups, like you find in Star HERO or Terran Empire. I hadn't planned on that, but feedback from internal reviews said we should.

Point is, we're making this as wonderful as possible :)

So keep your Jump Drives ready...

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the first two products. I can't complain about the price. There is definetly enough there that I can make use of for my star hero game... However, the deckplans are not only not on a hex grid, they are also on a scale of 1 square to 1.5 meters. When buying a product for a hero system that advertises maps (deckplans) I expect that the map will be on a hex grid and the grid will be something easy to scale to the standard 2 meter hex.

Any chance you will be issuing a more immediately useable (on a 1 hex = 2m hex grid) set of deck plans? If not I recommend putting in a qualifier in the description about the deck plans included stating they are on a square grid of 1 sq = 1.5 m

Hi there

Has anyone involved in this project got any comments on the non-Hero standard deckplans? I hope there are plans to rectify this as this would put me off buying.

Thanks.

looking back at the traveller filk lyrics I posted, I remembered there are a couple more out there

Vargr of Lunion

Enerii the Headless Fusion Gunner

also for weird trivia heres a couple of bits:

Strephon and his consort Iphegina had a daughter Iolanthe.... Strephon and Iphegina are both characters from Gilbert and Sullivans Iolanthe

one of the later CT modules[Death Station] I think that had a safe the players had to crack, the combination was the GDW office phone #

FASA originally stood for the Freedonian Aeronautics and Space Agency, the founders were big Marx Brothers fans. they got started doing traveller material, but at some point early stopped using the full written out version.

actually, if you check the following page

http://www.comstar-games.com/csg-store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=24

just above the product list it does state

"Please note: In following Traveller protocol and for consistency, the deck plans are using Traveller's 1.5 meters per square"

I'm 90% sure that the above disclaimer was not visible when I bought the ship info. I'm 100% sure I did not see it. Without easily useable maps (i.e. hero scale with hex grid (or no grid so I can drop a grid on it) I doubt I will buy any more of these products.

Wow. I have had to wing so many fights with whatever maps were available or ad libbed for all manner of Hero encounters that I must be the oddball. I can convert just about any map to make a fun Hero fight so long as the story is good.

actually, if you check the following page

http://www.comstar-games.com/csg-store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=24

just above the product list it does state

"Please note: In following Traveller protocol and for consistency, the deck plans are using Traveller's 1.5 meters per square"

That sucks big time. :(

Deckplans in Hero scale would have been the major selling point for me. Hero stats for the ship are of much lesser interest as game specific ship stats aren't that often used in Traveller campaigns in my experience.

Can't see myself buying these products, which is a shame.

Might I suggest a simple solution to the map issue? Just assume that each square is 1" (Hero) for purposes of tactical (combat) purposes. It's usually close enough. After all, even the 2m per hex is an approximation.

As far as why the standard Traveller map uses a 1.5m square, it traces back to the original Snapshot rules and the LBBs. Traveller uses a displacement ton as the basis of their ship construction system, with one ton of liquid hydrogen equal to 13.5 cubic meters. It's approximated in the mapping system by having 3 m between decks, and mapping with two 1.5m squares per ton. Effectively, this means that a huge number of deckplans created over the last 30 years are available and easily readable.

JoeG

The scale isn't really what bothers me, but trying to do facing with squares as opposed to hexes is annoying.

Assuming these are new pictures of ships, what is the difficulty with overlaying a hex map instead of squares? They can be 1.5 meter hexes if they must, but I like hexes over squares.

agreed. If they have the art files it should be trivial to remove the square grid and overlay a hex grid... and as long as it is being overlayed there is no reason not to use 2m hexes. Design by squares but battle in the native system format.

Can I whip out a map on the fly if need be and run a fun game? sure... but fancier props are sometimes nice and having details on the map aids the players in improvising unusual combat tactics.

Hi all,

First, I am sorry about my mistake in that earlier decision. Much of these earlier product releases were created by Traveller designers, with the Hero conversions being done by a very talented Kevin Walsh.

In order to correct this, I am at present trying to get Hero versions of the deck plans done up (with hexes and the 2 meter scale).

The hex deck plans, assuming we can get them made, will either be sent to all the people that have purchased the products, or will be given away for free as a free download on our website.

Again, I am sorry.

William

ComStar

In order to correct this, I am at present trying to get Hero versions of the deck plans done up (with hexes and the 2 meter scale).

The hex deck plans, assuming we can get them made, will either be sent to all the people that have purchased the products, or will be given away for free as a free download on our website.

Awesome! Now that rocks :thumbup:

If you can do that, these will become must have purchases for me. Starships with a 2m hex overlay are so generically useful for Star Hero games I can't see myself not getting them.

You guys rock! :rockon:

A large reason for me buying them is the maps, so this is a big help. Thank you for responding to this request.