Sleep Spell

SuperBlue

Basically the spell makes a person sleep for a week, but the power only kicks in when the target goes to sleep (basically, the user hits the person with the spell, and when they fall asleep they don't wake up for a week).

I was thinking Mind Control w/ Trigger (When Victim falls asleep) and AVLD: Being Awake. Tack on Disad: Only to make person sleep for a week for -1/2 I think...

Of course, it would have to have a continuous charge for one week

What would ur take on this be?

I have always done sleep as a END Drain I even feel the return rate represents the groggyness that would come afterwards.

So to get some one to sleep for a week I would use the extended retern rate then put a -1/4 limitation on it saying all points return at once. (I meen after all how limiting would it be?) Plus putting some one to sleep is basicly the same as defeating them anyways so you might want to OK this power with a GM.

Other factors might contribute to which way you'd build this power...

Can they be awoken??? Loud noises, damage to the victim, Kiss from a Prince?? Is the sleep inpenetrable, and the victim cannot be awoken no matter what??

Adding this info in, makes it easier to decide on how to build it as a MC, or a Transform, or a Drain, or however you choose to do it.

Re: Sleep Spell

Originally posted by SuperBlue

Basically the spell makes a person sleep for a week, but the power only kicks in when the target goes to sleep (basically, the user hits the person with the spell, and when they fall asleep they don't wake up for a week).

I was thinking Mind Control w/ Trigger (When Victim falls asleep) and AVLD: Being Awake. Tack on Disad: Only to make person sleep for a week for -1/2 I think...

Of course, it would have to have a continuous charge for one week

What would ur take on this be?

I did a sleep power as mind control with a -1 set effect. If you want the power to be reliable, mind control isn't so great, unless you build it so powerful that almost nobody can make their breakout roll.

Originally posted by Snarf

Make the reversal condition be the passage of one week. Would that be major transform? If so, that would be awfully expensive for the usefulness of the effect.

I would say the complete instant out nature of this power would mean no cost would be to much as a GM.

Going with the continuos mind control set effect -1 plus requires ego +30 level -1/2 would be reasonable.

Originally posted by Ndreare

I would say the complete instant out nature of this power would mean no cost would be to much as a GM.

Going with the continuos mind control set effect -1 plus requires ego +30 level -1/2 would be reasonable.

Huh?

anyway, I was wanting to see how you guys would actually do the writeup for this power...

I'm prolly gonna treat it like this:

Deep Sleep: 3d6 Mind Control

AoE: Radius 1.5"

Trigger: When Target Goes to Sleep +1/4

AVLD: Defense being Staying awake +1 1/2

4 Continuous Charge: 1 Week +1

Single Command: Sleep -1/2

Extra Time: Full Phase -1/2

Gestures: -1/4

Incantation: -1/4

AP: 71

RC: 36

Very Expensive Spell... but this is going on a VERY Powerful Enemy Spell Caster, so it won't make much difference.

Anyone Have a cheaper take on it?

Single Command: Sleep -1/2

Single Command is more commonly called Set Effect. As Ndreare suggested, this would normally be worth -1, as the -1/2 level would allow you to inflict a whole class of effects. So, you can save a few points there.

I think I understand enough to attempt a write up now. Here's a couple ways you could lower the cost.

I don't think the AVLD is necessary. The level you bought is for making a normal attack like EB, RKA, or whatever apply against a less common defense, like mental defense or flash defense. Mind Control is already only resisted by mental defense and unusual stuff, so you might want No Normal Defense or nothing at all instead. AOE radius is pretty expensive. I would drop it if you think the sleep spell is getting too powerful. I don't think you need trigger, if you have to cast a spell. It would normally mean that the ability takes effect when the trigger condition occurs, without you needing to do anything at all, but you have to stop and cast a spell. The fact that they have to go sleep for the power to affect them could be some sort of limitation instead. I think I would do it by increasing the limitation of the set effect from only "go to sleep" at -1 to only "stay asleep" for -2 or maybe as some kind of delayed onset effect. If you want to lower the cost even more, it's common to have some sort of required skill roll like RSR: Magic Skill, but that would depend on the campaign.

I think you need to drastically increase the base power of the ability to achieve an effect like sleep. With 3d6 average effect roll would be around nine or ten, but you would probably need to roll their EGO + 30 to achieve an incapacitating effect like sleep. Maybe it could be less, since you're only trying to make them continue sleeping, which would be more like something they were already inclined to do. Also, I think you're probably looking for the advantage Continuous instead of Continuing Charges. Check out 5'th edition p. 81 for how Continuous affects mental powers.

This still needs some work but it might give you some ideas...

Deep Sleep: Mind Control 12d6, (AP 60); Extra Time: Full Phase (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantation (-1/4), Set Effect: Stay Asleep (-2), (RC 15)

Edit: Here's some other versions:

Deep Sleep: Mind Control 12d6, Continuous (+1) (AP 120); Extra Time: Full Phase (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantation (-1/4), Set Effect: Stay Asleep (-2), Mandatory Effect: EGO +30 (-3/4), (RC 25)

If you think that the sleep effect only requires EGO + 20 to work:

Deep Sleep: Mind Control 10d6, Continuous (+1) (AP 100); Extra Time: Full Phase (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantation (-1/4), Set Effect: Stay Asleep (-2), Mandatory Effect: EGO + 20 (-1/2), (RC 27)

The problem with using Mind Control is that it's intended to be mostly short term and gives a lot of chances to resist. The target will get a chance to make 10 or so breakout rolls before a week passes. A mental transform would be much more predictable. The special effects seem closer to what you're trying to make.

Deep Sleep: Major Transform 4d6 (person into person who can't wake up, heals back instantly after 1 week), Works Against EGO, Not BODY (+1/4), (AP 75); Limited Target: Humans (-1/2), Extra Time: Full Phase (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantation (-1/4), (RC 30)

It probably won't work in one hit, but you can keep using it until you've rolled enough to beat 2X their EGO. After it's taken effect, it will be absolutely reliable.

If you think that this is a minor transform you can use this instead:

Deep Sleep: Minor Transform 6d6 (person into person who can't wake up, heals back instantly after 1 week), Works Against EGO, Not BODY (+1/4), (AP 75); Limited Target: Humans (-1/2), Extra Time: Full Phase (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantation (-1/4), (RC 30)