Repercussions of a VIPER Assault on PRIMUS (S-Squad, STAY OUT!)

BoloOfEarth

Howdy. I'm looking for some input on things that might happen as a result of a big event I'm running in my Champions game. I don't think any of my players frequent these boards nowadays, so I think we can talk freely here.

I'm running an adventure involving the Chicago VIPER Nest directly attacking the local PRIMUS base. This isn't a covert attack or a small surgical strike, but an all-out, no-holds-barred assault involving hundreds of VIPER agents, two tanks, fighter support, and demolitions teams placing timed explosives to hopefully level the building.

The Chicago Nest is receiving some assistance from the NYC Nest, though neither the NYC Nest nor the upper echelons of VIPER itself knew beforehand about the planned use of tanks and demolitions teams. (The NYC Nest is providing an airship "command post" and some of the fighter support to deal with flying heroes.)

The Chicago Nest's primary goal is to capture Dr. Patterson, a female civilian cryogenics expert under PRIMUS protection. Unbeknownst to PRIMUS or the heroes, she is the ex-wife of the Chicago Nest Leader, a supervillain named Windchill. Patterson knows Windchill is her ex-husband but hasn't told PRIMUS.

To entice the NYC Nest, Windchill expanded this primary goal to include kidnapping the Chicago PRIMUS base commander and/or the local Silver Avenger, whom Windchill would be happy to give to the NYC Nest to question / ransom / whatever.

Windchill's (barely) secondary goal in this assault is to harm PRIMUS as much as possible, whether in reputation or actual physical harm. He blames them for the accident that both killed his infant son and gave Windchill his powers. Overall, his main motivation is an intense hatred of PRIMUS; he became a Nest Leader as a means to harming PRIMUS, and really doesn't care about VIPER as a whole.

BTW, the heroes were lured to the other side of town to keep them from interfering with Dr. Patterson's kidnapping. Windchill does not anticipate this would stop them from showing up, but should delay them long enough to at least get Patterson out and hopefully set plenty of explosives throughout the building.

While most individual VIPER agents aren't likely to go for kills ('cuz murder charges are a lot rougher than assault charges), there are bound to be some casualties and definitely lots of serious injuries both to PRIMUS agents and civilian staff. (If nothing else, the tanks blasting the building will cause some of this.) And if the heroes and PRIMUS don't evacuate the building and/or disable enough bombs in time, the death toll could be sizable. I fully expect the heroes will keep this from happening, but the dice might not be kind to them, or they might all go after the airship instead of helping at the base, so it could still happen.

What I'm looking for are possible short- and long-term repercussions of this assault. PRIMUS agents across the country would certainly go after VIPER agents with a vengeance after something like this. Would the VIPER high command throw the Chicago Nest to the wolves to avoid an unanticipated VIPER-PRIMUS War? Or decide to jump in with guns blazing? In my campaign, a VIPER-COIL war ended less than a year ago, so COIL would probably jump on the opportunity to hit at VIPER again. Could you see somebody deciding to hit PRIMUS in major or minor ways while they’re all mad at VIPER, or would everybody stay away to keep from getting stomped?

Any ideas and suggestions would be appreciated – even if it doesn’t involve the PC heroes, since I give them in-game news.

Re: Repercussions of a VIPER Assault on PRIMUS (S-Squad, STAY OUT!)

Well, aside from Windchill almost certainly ending up dead short order?

VIPER just jumped up several ranks in terms of attention level, in the US. That means more lost Nests, more imprisoned agents, and generally more grief from the authorities.

Thus, the VIPER response would be mostly "kill Windchill for his incompetence" and "vastly reduced public activity, upped propaganda budget in the US."

Primus would respond with surgical strikes against key personnel based on information from agents captured in the raid. They would not engage in all out retaliation without the direct support of the President and/or the legislative branch of government.

Whether or not this prompts COIL or other agencies to interfere depends on WHO is captured, WHAT they know, WHY they know it, and WHERE the operations and key personnel in question are located.

I don't have Primus in my game anymore, as much as I might like to, because of A) Possible publication issues and B) The question of superprisons on American Soil being run by non-US personnel.

The key things to remember here are 1) Primus will NOT respond with high grades of military force in civilian areas without the appropriate military responses for civilians, 2) Primus will only act overseas in Black operations capacities with or without the consent of the federal government. Chances are, if VIPER is running a big operation in Malaysia, the information will be turned over to UNTIL if you're running "Nice PRIMUS" or kept to themselves if you run "Classic UNTIL is a bunch of Jackasses" PRIMUS, 3) PRIMUS will often encourage local supers to act as support for their forces, which gives you the ability to throw the PC's right into the plot regardless of how you swing it.

I don't have Primus in my game anymore, as much as I might like to, because of A) Possible publication issues and B) The question of superprisons on American Soil being run by non-US personnel.

In my game, PRIMUS runs the two US superprisons (Stronghold, in New Mexico, and the newly-rebuilt Riker's Island, aka Stronhold East). UNTIL runs a superprison in Europe. PRIMUS does cooperate with UNTIL, grudgingly and in some cases marginally. If a crime happens on US soil, PRIMUS still feels it is their jurisdiction, but they copy reports to UNTIL if the crime has some international element.

The key things to remember here are 1) Primus will NOT respond with high grades of military force in civilian areas without the appropriate military responses for civilians, 2) Primus will only act overseas in Black operations capacities with or without the consent of the federal government. Chances are, if VIPER is running a big operation in Malaysia, the information will be turned over to UNTIL if you're running "Nice PRIMUS" or kept to themselves if you run "Classic UNTIL is a bunch of Jackasses" PRIMUS, 3) PRIMUS will often encourage local supers to act as support for their forces, which gives you the ability to throw the PC's right into the plot regardless of how you swing it.

PRIMUS is mostly Classic "UNTIL is a bunch of Jackasses" in my game, though bases that frequently work directly with UNTIL, like the NYC and DC bases, are less so. I don't think I've ever run a fully "Nice PRIMUS," as some/many members freqently have an adversarial relationship with the heroes, though some individuals and teams have worked well with the heroes.

I think a lot depends on how well PRIMUS copes. If it puts up a valiant effort and gives even better than it gets and possibly (with the supeheroes help) thwarts Windchill's plans all around, then this becomes quite the feather in their PR cap. Oh, they'll be angry, but they'll also have proven to be worthy of those Tax dollars.

If everything goes wrong for PRIMUS (Not only caught off guard, but do poorly in the stand up part of the fight, lose their silver Avenger AND Windchill's ex, plus other things go VIPER's way that VIPER wasn't even counting on (perhaps they discover an experimental vehicle and steal it)) then the Press may turn on them, and politicians quick to follow when public opinion sours. "Heads will roll" in the job loss sense. This could, utlimately lead to a stronger PRIMUS, but at first it might end up gutting it.

I imagine the situation will go with something in between (If luck and dice don't say otherwise) . PRIMUS's performance and reaction will be praised by some, admonished by others, and the Spin Doctors will fight for public opinion. VIPER HQ will probably do its best to libel through third parties. Ironically, how the superheroes act and speak will also be a big factor. If the team has any popularity at all, and ends up supporting PRIMUS's efforts, it may sway the crowds to favor it, or at least sympathize. If one of the PCs belittles the organization, they may play right into VIPER's hands.

One idea I would use, but may not be in your style, would be to have a superhero come out of this, or perhaps something else in a vigilante flare. Either one of the PRIMUS agents has a "radiation accident" of sorts, or a group of PRIMUS agents goes rogue. Tired of being tied down by bueracratic tape, this rogue group hits VIPER back hard, and uses methods that are highly questionable. They might, for example, start killing anyone who cuts deals with VIPER, or blow up suspected VIPER money laundering operations. They could be as overt and sympathetic (or not) as suits you. This rogue element could be a growing segment of PRIMUS, or a lone agent presumed dead. Discovering this, and dealing with this might be a side adventure for the PCs. Conversely, a PRIMUS agent turned more traditional superhero might still play by the rules, but which rules? The standard Silver Age ones? Or the Government rules he's familiar with?

Just an idea.

"Smithers, which Nest is that?"

"Chicago, sir. Section 7-G."

"Let's see...7-A....7-F...ah, here it is, 7-G. Pity about all the equipment."

*click*

...massive underground explosion in Chicago earlier tonight, which is still reeling from the battle at local PRIMUS headquarters. Authorities are unsure about the cause but current speculation centers around gas mains. We go live to Kent Brockman at the scene...

IMO VIPER wouldn't care about the carnage, death of PRIMUS agents and the like. They WOULD be very upset at being snowed about such a major operation.

If they approved of the basic plan but were just deceived as to the scale, they would be prepared for fallout and may be ready to step up general activities vs PRIMUS and/or let Windchill take the brunt of the heat while they carry out other activities elsewhere while PRIMUS is distracted.

If they DIDN'T approve of the basic plan, they'd probably be a lot more upset, as they wouldn't be expecting the extra heat. If they felt confident enough anyways, they'd probably try to remove Windchill and carry on as best they could. If they feel they need him and the nest's resources at least temporarily, he'll probably get a reprieve while everyone fights PRIMUS. Once the heat is off, his future within the organization will depend a lot on how the "war" goes - if VIPER is pretty weakened, he's likely history but if they do well (especially if he himself does well) he could be pretty popular across the organization and dangerous to act against. In that situation, I'd think they might make him an offer where he steps down as Nest Leader and takes on a special anti-PRIMUS task force with a small group of agents and several supers. Throw him at PRIMUS, let him do as much damage as he can with his vendetta before being killed/captured, use his "legend" as a morale booster...but don't try real hard to break him out.

I think a lot depends on how well PRIMUS copes. If it puts up a valiant effort and gives even better than it gets and possibly (with the supeheroes help) thwarts Windchill's plans all around' date=' then this becomes quite the feather in their PR cap. Oh, they'll be angry, but they'll also have proven to be worthy of those Tax dollars.[/quote']

I already ran the initial (pre-hero arrival) part of the battle, and PRIMUS was fighting well but falling under vastly higher numbers of VIPER agents. By the time the first two heroes arrive (the other three will take at least a turn to get there), VIPER controls both the ground and top floors of the four-story building, and there's pretty fierce fighting on the other two floors. (VIPER is pretty much ignoring the basement, which includes the temp holding cells for captured supervillains but also has a heavily-armed assault squad.)

PRIMUS could still stomp VIPER butt with the heroes' help, as well as the arrival of two PRIMUS assault squads that weren't in the base when the attack started.

As to the Silver Avenger and Windchill's ex, both were captured and are actually being flown out as the first heroes arrive.

Regardless, there's no way Windchill will be able to safely evac all his agents, so there should be a sizable number of captured VIPER agents when all is said and done. And he expects the tanks to be a write-off; no way they'll be able to sneak them out. So PRIMUS and the heroes won't come out empty handed, even if they get unlucky.

One idea I would use, but may not be in your style, would be to have a superhero come out of this, or perhaps something else in a vigilante flare. Either one of the PRIMUS agents has a "radiation accident" of sorts, or a group of PRIMUS agents goes rogue.

Funny you should mention that. In a prior adventure and unbeknownst to the heroes, a powerful magical artifact became attuned to a particular PRIMUS agent (who is fairly friendly with the heroes), and I was planning to use this as her "coming out" event. :)

I concur with previous posters - since you have stated that Windchill went beyond what was approved by VIPER proper, he's a dead man walking. Ditto the Chicago Nest - VIPER will pull out of Chicago (almost) completely for a while; the only assets left in place will begin long-range planning for a new Chicago Nest to open in 3-5 years.

And Windchill captured a Silver Avenger, you say? OK. The gloves are off. Either VIPER releases the Avenger, or PRIMUS goes on the offensive. (With the likely backing of the U.S. military as well. Can you say "Global War on VIPER"? (Sure. I knew you could.) The U.S. military has worldwide reach (unless you have changed that in your campaign), and (almost) anywhere VIPER is, the U.S. military can go also. Given that the local government has a choice of "let the U.S. eliminate the VIPER presence on our soil" or "appear to be harboring VIPER in the eyes of the world, including UNTIL and the UN", I'd say that most would go for the former.) This will make the VIPER-Eurostar War of the 90s look like a redneck bar brawl. After considering this possibility, VIPER proper will release the Avenger shortly before they execute Windchill for being an idiot and then close the Chicago Nest.

Good ideas so far. My first thougtht that an open attack like this, with tanks and all, on American soil, should be at least as important as 9-11. The gloves should be taken off, outright war should be declared on VIPER, and the Heroes should be in for a long story arc of VIPER nest bustin and VIPER butt kickin.

How it all turns out is up to you and your players. You could go with the long noble war hard fought and hard won. Or you could mirror current evens more closely and have bureaucratic bungling and wasteful budget spending eventually grind the effort to a halt before it's really completed.

I agree with some of the above. Windchill is a deadman walking as far as VIPER and the local PRIMUS outfit are concerned. And probably knows it. And probably knows that the only people who can protect him are the PC heroes.

I don't think an all out visible war on VIPER would occur except in Chicago. I do think PRIMUS would activate and direct its Black Ops Unit to focus on VIPER in all locations.

PRIMUS doesn't have a Black Ops Unit I hear you say? Sure they don't ;)

I agree with the masses about Windchill being a deadman. But how many supervillians are hunted by VIPER, so they may not get him.

I also see a huge responce from PRIMUS/US gov - having just watched the Untouchables, I really see a strong response... depending on what kind of administration you have in the white house - if they are all hawkish, VIPER becomes public enemy number one.

Another thing to think about with PRIMUS reaction - when a cop is murdered, the police go on full blown tactical "get this perp" mode - an assault like this could very well lead to the same thing with PRIMUS, with the Golden Avenger and teams of Silvers going in order after different VIPER Bases with full assault support.

Actually, in 5e, its been a point that VIPER *doesn't* have alot of supervillains out there that its hunting unsuccessfully. Usually for a villain, getting hunted by VIPER at any level beyond the Nest leads to a rapid death. OTOH, if Windchill is fairly powerful personally, he might be able to sell out to someone in exchange for protection.

A plot rather than cause and effect based consideration:

You might have Windhill go to ground, and potentially fight to stay alive from the shadows of the underworld, perhaps bartering his talents to vipers criminal competition. He could also get a cache of high-tech equipment, some minions, and create his own competing organization, perhaps under a new pseudo-nym. Another option is for him to ally himself with the heroes later in the hopes of staying alive.

A plot rather than cause and effect based consideration:

You might have Windhill go to ground, and potentially fight to stay alive from the shadows of the underworld, perhaps bartering his talents to vipers criminal competition. He could also get a cache of high-tech equipment, some minions, and create his own competing organization, perhaps under a new pseudo-nym. Another option is for him to ally himself with the heroes later in the hopes of staying alive.

Based on what many people here have suggested, I think Windchill will be a persona non grata with the main VIPER organization, and thus no longer the Chicago Nest leader, but I don't want them to assassinate him. (I think the players would somehow feel cheated if that happened.) But Windchill might allow an assassination attempt to *appear* successful (or fake one himself) so he can go into hiding. The old "Nobody Could Have POSSIBLY Survived That" thing, conveniently with no body recovered. The players won't be fooled, but that's fine by me.

I like the idea of him setting up his own (pseudo-cult militia-type) organization afterward. He's no dummy and could anticipate the VIPER high command's reaction, so he'd have already set aside quipment and maybe even a hideout (secret even from VIPER) beforehand. However, he wouldn't want to compete with VIPER, as his main focus is on harming PRIMUS, and fighting VIPER would take away from that goal. So I think he'll eventually come to some sort of "arrangement" with the VIPER high command to save his own skin. Perhaps capturing some key COIL members and offering them in exchange for VIPER dropping the bounty for his head?

I like the name "Windchill" too much to change it; for one thing, it fits so well with Chicago's nickname as the Windy City. And there's no way he could ally himself with the heroes, as they quickly developed an irrational hatred of him after only one or two appearances. I can easily see them telling him, "Wow, sucks to be you. Good luck, you're gonna need it."

Based on what many people here have suggested, I think Windchill will be a persona non grata with the main VIPER organization, and thus no longer the Chicago Nest leader, but I don't want them to assassinate him. (I think the players would somehow feel cheated if that happened.) But Windchill might allow an assassination attempt to *appear* successful (or fake one himself) so he can go into hiding. The old "Nobody Could Have POSSIBLY Survived That" thing, conveniently with no body recovered. The players won't be fooled, but that's fine by me.

I like the idea of him setting up his own (pseudo-cult militia-type) organization afterward. He's no dummy and could anticipate the VIPER high command's reaction, so he'd have already set aside equipment and maybe even a hideout (secret even from VIPER) beforehand. However, he wouldn't want to compete with VIPER, as his main focus is on harming PRIMUS, and fighting VIPER would take away from that goal. So I think he'll eventually come to some sort of "arrangement" with the VIPER high command to save his own skin. Perhaps capturing some key COIL members and offering them in exchange for VIPER dropping the bounty for his head?

I like the name "Windchill" too much to change it; for one thing, it fits so well with Chicago's nickname as the Windy City. And there's no way he could ally himself with the heroes, as they quickly developed an irrational hatred of him after only one or two appearances. I can easily see them telling him, "Wow, sucks to be you. Good luck, you're gonna need it."

That's good supers storytelling, including some good genre bits. And, with VIPER distracted by PRIMUS going Untouchables on them (Good one, Lord Mhoram! "He pulls a knife, you pull a gun; he puts one of yours in the hospital, you put one of his in the morgue. That's the Chicago way...") he could pull it off.

One point - unless you have already introduced COIL into your game (even as background), then Windchill and his new organization could take the place of King Cobra and COIL in your campaign as the "breakaway from VIPER" organization. You could even retcon in that he knew he was going to get on VIPER's bad side, and staged the attack to cover his breakaway. Take clues from STaST and how King Cobra pulled off his breakaway, and adjust to fit Windchill.

That's good supers storytelling, including some good genre bits. And, with VIPER distracted by PRIMUS going Untouchables on them (Good one, Lord Mhoram! "He pulls a knife, you pull a gun; he puts one of yours in the hospital, you put one of his in the morgue. That's the Chicago way...") he could pull it off.

One point - unless you have already introduced COIL into your game (even as background), then Windchill and his new organization could take the place of King Cobra and COIL in your campaign as the "breakaway from VIPER" organization. You could even retcon in that he knew he was going to get on VIPER's bad side, and staged the attack to cover his breakaway. Take clues from STaST and how King Cobra pulled off his breakaway, and adjust to fit Windchill.

Actually, the heroes got caught in the middle of a VIPER-COIL war a number of months back, so COIL is already an established factor.

Thank you, all, for your input. If I haven't repped you yet, it's because I ran out of rep (or I've repped you too recently to do it again right now).

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to let everybody know how the battle finally played out. I included some info here (from the Gaming Quotes thread), but didn't go into Windchill's fate.

FYI, the representative from the NYC Nest was Golden Boy. He's a 16 year-old genius, both tactical and otherwise (for one thing, he has Precog with some uncertainty, based on considering individuals' probable actions).

The VIPER airship had a flight deck, and the main battle took place there. One of the heroes, disguised as a VIPER agent, overheard Windchill and Golden Boy have the following exchange:

GB: ...had you informed me the full extent of this assault, I could have made it successful. Paranormals do add an element of uncertainty, but even so...

W: And you would have informed the Grandfather of the full plans.

GB: Well, yes, but... (thougtful look as probabilities play through his head) ... ah, I see your point. You do realize that the Supreme Serpent...

W: Yes, I do.

GB: And you're prepared for the repercussions?

W: I hope so.

About then, the fight broke out. And at one point Windchill was cruising along on an ice slide, about 15 meters from the edge of the landing platform, when one of the heroes clubbed him from behind. Since Windy was technically Gliding, the knockback sent him flying. He went over the edge, falling to Lake Michigan far below, and the heroes were too busy dealing with the other VIPER forces to go after him. (I didn't exactly plan it that way, but am not one to look a gift horse in the mouth.) The last person to see Windchill was a PRIMUS pilot, who told the heroes that a "block of ice" had fallen past him. Actually, Windy had encased himself in a giant icicle, but it was close enough for government work. ;)

One of the players did say, very sarcastically, "Nobody could *possibly* survive that!" thus ensuring that Windchill would indeed return one day. And he should have time to plan and build an organization without immediate interference from VIPER, though they also anticipate he survived the fall.

Thank you all, again, for the wonderful suggestions. People like you are a big reason that HERO is such a great game system.