Cool Guns for your Games

Remjin

Re: Cool Guns for your Games

Except that it feels like a toy, shoots like a toy, and comes only somewhat assembled... like a toy. Gaps in the body, sights belonged on a cheap airsoft gun, and it only takes their stupid pistol mags. If you want it to have higher capacity than the normal pistol mag, you have to buy iffy after-market mags and hope for the best.

I shot one, I wasn't impressed. This was several years ago, maybe they're better now, but I didn't like it when I tried it. Getting it in .45 made for some pretty pathetic choices in mags as well, which is what I'd prefer.

Sorry. I'd hoped it would be a solution for you. I saw some of the H&Ks at the show yesterday. Wasn't interested in a carbine, since I had just bought my XD (.45) and found it very easy to shoot, both by me and my oldest daughter.

I had looked at carbines originally to enable my daughters to fire a major pistol-caliber round. My XD was easier to fire than I thought. It's really an awesome gun, and I can only say -- XD XD XD!

Sorry. I'd hoped it would be a solution for you. I saw some of the H&Ks at the show yesterday. Wasn't interested in a carbine, since I had just bought my XD (.45) and found it very easy to shoot, both by me and my oldest daughter.

I had looked at carbines originally to enable my daughters to fire a major pistol-caliber round. My XD was easier to fire than I thought. It's really an awesome gun, and I can only say -- XD XD XD!

Ah, I'm sorry if I came across as ungrateful. I do appreciate that you gave me a suggestion and tried to come up with a solution. It really is unfortunate, Beretta has some great manufacturing... just seems like the designs never suit me.

I also like the XD. It has pretty good ergonomics, and I like the grip safety. I'd personally like a manual safety on the frame, and I believe it is an option now. Its much more comfortable than a Glock, though I do shoot a Glock well. Not sure why, but it works for me. Congratulations on a satisfying purchase, and for having your daughter similarly interested. I always thought that if nothing else, women should be the most interested in shooting as they are most benefited by its use in dire circumstances for various reasons.

A lot of you seem to be pretty familiar with firearms, has anyone had any experience with the Ruger LCP? Thinking about one for a backup.

[ATTACH]28958[/ATTACH]

I'd buy the Kel-tec P3AT that they built it to compete against. :eg:

A lot of you seem to be pretty familiar with firearms' date=' has anyone had any experience with the Ruger LCP? Thinking about one for a backup.[/quote']

As a rule, Ruger builds good firearms. As Gewing points out, I would also look at the Kel-tec version. I personally don't have a thing for Kel-tec stuff, but they do make a lot of interesting stuff. Both Ruger and Kel-tec are nicely affordable.

Ruger pistols tend to be workhorses. They're tough if not exactly elegant. While they usually don't come from the factory as ultra-slick, they come nicely appointed and functional. I've never had a problem with a Ruger pistol, but my personal usage is limited to a P89 and a GP-100.

The P89 survived 2 or 3 "reloaded" rounds in which someone had overloaded them, possibly with a double charge, without a complaint. I have since learned to never shoot someone else's reloads or home-made rounds. I bought this pistol for work at a great price ($330, I think) for an all-steel 9mm. I personally dislike 9mm as a whole, but it was a job requirement at the time.

The GP-100's I've handled were all pretty much the same. They shoot well, the grips are a little more to the beefy side (which I like). It locks up nice, fires every time, and was accurate if I was.

I don't imagine that pistol is much different in basic qualities. I'm not really a micro-pistol guy. Smallest pistol I want to own is a Glock 30, followed by a para-ordnance tac-four. Still, for a .32/.380 ACP pistol, it looks nice, and likely has Ruger's quality. Gewing probably shoots more than I do, and with a wider variety of pistols, so definitely check out that Kel-tec. I know I've heard a lot of good about them.

Appreciate all the good advise. I would probably go with a Glock 27 if I could, but we can't use ankle holsters on-duty. It has to be something attached to my vest, so I was looking for something slim (because I'm decidedly NOT). I would like for it to be 9mm, but that seems too much to ask. I also like Ruger's quality, but I will look into the Keltec, especially for the affordability. Thanks again for the advise!

As a rule, Ruger builds good firearms. As Gewing points out, I would also look at the Kel-tec version. I personally don't have a thing for Kel-tec stuff, but they do make a lot of interesting stuff. Both Ruger and Kel-tec are nicely affordable.

Ruger pistols tend to be workhorses. They're tough if not exactly elegant. While they usually don't come from the factory as ultra-slick, they come nicely appointed and functional. I've never had a problem with a Ruger pistol, but my personal usage is limited to a P89 and a GP-100.

The P89 survived 2 or 3 "reloaded" rounds in which someone had overloaded them, possibly with a double charge, without a complaint. I have since learned to never shoot someone else's reloads or home-made rounds. I bought this pistol for work at a great price ($330, I think) for an all-steel 9mm. I personally dislike 9mm as a whole, but it was a job requirement at the time.

The GP-100's I've handled were all pretty much the same. They shoot well, the grips are a little more to the beefy side (which I like). It locks up nice, fires every time, and was accurate if I was.

I don't imagine that pistol is much different in basic qualities. I'm not really a micro-pistol guy. Smallest pistol I want to own is a Glock 30, followed by a para-ordnance tac-four. Still, for a .32/.380 ACP pistol, it looks nice, and likely has Ruger's quality. Gewing probably shoots more than I do, and with a wider variety of pistols, so definitely check out that Kel-tec. I know I've heard a lot of good about them.

I really don'g get a chance to shoot all that much, but I like the little kel-tec. My wife and dad both have them, and my brother in law just picked up the P32(he felt it fit his hand better, but I thought they had the same outlines)

The think I think is silly is that Ruger has been advertising the LCP as if it was "something new under the sun" but it isn't as small or as light as the Kel-tec that has been out for several years.

As a general rule, I would prefer not to carry anything smaller than a 9mm or .38 special. The P3AT is so small however, that I would consider it for that aspect. I know someone who carried one behind his wallet in his jeans pocket for two years. No one had a clue. They make a clip that you can attach to hang it inside your waistband, there is a lanyard that lets you hang it under your shirt, and there are pocket holsters that keep the shape from "printing" even in you front pockets.

The Kel-tec PF-9 is a little bit larger, and almost twice the weight, but it is a real 9mm. I like the 50-100% greater energy of that cartridge.

The Kahr pistols are small too, and the one or two I have handled felt really good. They are significantly thinner than most glocks, which imo should make them easier to conceal. I would be really tempted to look at the steel framed versions, but the polymer are much lighter and they make smaller versions in polymer also.

I shot the subcompact Glock 40 cal. when it came out. I think I would rather carry the somewhat larger model 23 if possible. It was much more comfortable to shoot.

There are guns I have little or no interest in shooting.

The titanium or even scandium allow snubby revolvers in magnum calibers can be intimidating. The Smith and Wesson scandium framed .44 magnums...

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=11101&langId=-1&productId=67965&tabselected=tech&isFirearm=Y&parent_category_rn=15706

or the scandium framed .357 magnum snubbies..

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=11101&langId=-1&productId=14765&tabselected=tech&isFirearm=Y&parent_category_rn=15704

are IMO the essence of the "Carry a Lot, Shoot a Little." gun.

I REALLY don't want to try a 12 oz .357 magnum!!! :help: By that standard, the 29 oz .44 magnum might be pretty easy!:nonp:

Appreciate all the good advise. I would probably go with a Glock 27 if I could' date=' but we can't use ankle holsters on-duty. It has to be something attached to my vest, so I was looking for something slim (because I'm decidedly NOT). I would like for it to be 9mm, but that seems too much to ask. I also like Ruger's quality, but I will look into the Keltec, especially for the affordability. Thanks again for the advise![/quote']

Gewing also said it, but I also would consider the Kahr pistols. They are praised quite highly for quality and for ease of use. They're thinner than most pistols, come in 9mm, .40 S&W, and even .45 ACP I believe.... but they also come in either steel and/or aluminum frames or polymer. I've always wanted one, actually, but I don't have concealed carry in this state so I haven't bothered with it, the SP101, or the Tac-Four I'd like to get for those purposes.

The think I think is silly is that Ruger has been advertising the LCP as if it was "something new under the sun" but it isn't as small or as light as the Kel-tec that has been out for several years.

I haven't seen a lot about it, but that's typical marketing. It really reminds me of some other gun, but I can't put my finger on it... but then, I don't think about it much. If I can't stand 9mm, I'm sure I'm not gonna be thrilled with .380 or .32 ACP. However, your points about their size and how concealable they are are well taken. And also like you said, I'd much prefer to go at least 9mm, as the size difference isn't that much different. Personally, I've got that kind of "athletic" build, albeit now much softer and pudgier than before, that would make concealing a somewhat larger pistol not overly difficult.

I shot the subcompact Glock 40 cal. when it came out. I think I would rather carry the somewhat larger model 23 if possible. It was much more comfortable to shoot.

I really like the Glock 30 in double-stack format. Its a bit fat for concealment, but possible, and it was extremely comfortable to shoot for me... and with 10+1 with .45 ACP, its a pretty good argument.

There are guns I have little or no interest in shooting.

The titanium or even scandium allow snubby revolvers in magnum calibers can be intimidating. The Smith and Wesson scandium framed .44 magnums...

I've shot one of the scandium .44 magnums... it was... umm... interesting. While shootable, I wouldn't want to shoot it often or a lot. Maybe with lighter loads or just .44 specials. The magnums were pretty stout, and I put the gun down after 3 rounds. With the standard wood grips, it was getting close to painful, but definitely not fun after putting 100 of them downrange with my stainless 629. I think I'd just deal with the weight, instead, as follow-up shots would be much tougher.

Gewing also said it, but I also would consider the Kahr pistols. They are praised quite highly for quality and for ease of use. They're thinner than most pistols, come in 9mm, .40 S&W, and even .45 ACP I believe.... but they also come in either steel and/or aluminum frames or polymer. I've always wanted one, actually, but I don't have concealed carry in this state so I haven't bothered with it, the SP101, or the Tac-Four I'd like to get for those purposes.

I haven't seen a lot about it, but that's typical marketing. It really reminds me of some other gun, but I can't put my finger on it... but then, I don't think about it much. If I can't stand 9mm, I'm sure I'm not gonna be thrilled with .380 or .32 ACP. However, your points about their size and how concealable they are are well taken. And also like you said, I'd much prefer to go at least 9mm, as the size difference isn't that much different. Personally, I've got that kind of "athletic" build, albeit now much softer and pudgier than before, that would make concealing a somewhat larger pistol not overly difficult.

I really like the Glock 30 in double-stack format. Its a bit fat for concealment, but possible, and it was extremely comfortable to shoot for me... and with 10+1 with .45 ACP, its a pretty good argument.

I've shot one of the scandium .44 magnums... it was... umm... interesting. While shootable, I wouldn't want to shoot it often or a lot. Maybe with lighter loads or just .44 specials. The magnums were pretty stout, and I put the gun down after 3 rounds. With the standard wood grips, it was getting close to painful, but definitely not fun after putting 100 of them downrange with my stainless 629. I think I'd just deal with the weight, instead, as follow-up shots would be much tougher.

But you arn't the target market. :D You don't feel it is necessary to compensate for anything. :cool:

But you arn't the target market. :D You don't feel it is necessary to compensate for anything. :cool:

Only because its a lost cause... :cry:

If I wanted to compensate, I'd buy the .500 magnum. I actually wouldn't mind one, but I can't see paying any real great amount of money for it, or shooting it all that much. It would be more like a conversation piece sitting behind glass or something.

Lately, I've been giving the drooly-eye to the CZ SP-01. The other CZs feel good in my hand, and owning a 9mm can't be all bad, I suppose. Ammo is certainly cheaper for range sessions, and 19 rounds of 147 grain +p stuff should do it if I ever needed it. Plus, it looks sexy... CZ SP-01, standard model. Plus, this accessory amuses me, even if I can't figure out what it would actually be good for besides some laughs from my buddies. The only part I see any use is if you delete the knife and simply used the... er... shroud(?) to assure the pistol still fired in a contact situation (pistol muzzle being pushed into someone, allowing slide to stay in place as to allow for firing).

Only because its a lost cause... :cry:

If I wanted to compensate, I'd buy the .500 magnum. I actually wouldn't mind one, but I can't see paying any real great amount of money for it, or shooting it all that much. It would be more like a conversation piece sitting behind glass or something.

Lately, I've been giving the drooly-eye to the CZ SP-01. The other CZs feel good in my hand, and owning a 9mm can't be all bad, I suppose. Ammo is certainly cheaper for range sessions, and 19 rounds of 147 grain +p stuff should do it if I ever needed it. Plus, it looks sexy... CZ SP-01, standard model. Plus, this accessory amuses me, even if I can't figure out what it would actually be good for besides some laughs from my buddies. The only part I see any use is if you delete the knife and simply used the... er... shroud(?) to assure the pistol still fired in a contact situation (pistol muzzle being pushed into someone, allowing slide to stay in place as to allow for firing).

Although it looks like they have had some problems with firing pins, I would rather have this one.

http://www.eaacorp.com/handguns-hunting-pistols-hunter-EI.html

6" barrel, .45 or 10mm. 10+1 of .45, 15+1 of 10mm. :eg:

Although it looks like they have had some problems with firing pins, I would rather have this one.

http://www.eaacorp.com/handguns-hunting-pistols-hunter-EI.html

6" barrel, .45 or 10mm. 10+1 of .45, 15+1 of 10mm. :eg:

While 15+1 of 10mm does sound yummy, I'm trying to avoid the ammo costs associated... I already have a couple guns with expensive ammo, so another would just kill me. Honeslty, though, I've never fired a 10mm. A .40 S&W, which is okay, but not a 10mm. From what I hear, it would be more up my alley, though. *sigh*

While 15+1 of 10mm does sound yummy' date=' I'm trying to avoid the ammo costs associated... I already have a couple guns with expensive ammo, so another would just kill me. Honeslty, though, I've never fired a 10mm. A .40 S&W, which is okay, but not a 10mm. From what I hear, it would be more up my alley, though. *sigh*[/quote']

Given how expensive ANY high quality ammo is...

Besides, I have the basic reloading equipment in a box at home for as soon as I get my shed up.

Though I need to get dies for .308, .223, .22-250, .303 British, 6.5x55, .38 spl, 9mm, and .45. I suspect we will never put enough .380s through the Kel-tec to need to reload it.

I have dies, powder, and 165 grain Barnes X bullets for the .30-06.

I plan to get some of the 130 grain Triple Shocks to load in both the .308 and the '06. I beleive I should be able to drive them at about 3100 and 3250 respectively. :eg:

I hate the fact that in California I can only have 10-round magazines.

So I got a .45. Nothing better than 10 rounds of .45.

I would prefer 10 rounds of .45 super, or maybe .460 Rowland, though that is going a little too far, probably!

I hate the fact that in California I can only have 10-round magazines.

So I got a .45. Nothing better than 10 rounds of .45.

Ugh. California. Makes no sense. I do like having the extra rounds... even if I never use 'em. Better than reloading.

Given how expensive ANY high quality ammo is...

Besides, I have the basic reloading equipment in a box at home for as soon as I get my shed up.

True, but for just pointing some down-range... at the FMJ level, prices vary quite a bit. Reloading is just a whole other field, and I'm too much of an obsessive-compulsive sort of fellow to just start cheap. I'm a factory ammo buyer. Too many hobbies that I can't afford as it is. =) Maybe after I finally buy that big-block chevy motor I've been lusting after, I'll consider getting into reloading. =)

Ugh. California. Makes no sense. I do like having the extra rounds... even if I never use 'em. Better than reloading.

Worse yet -- trying to get an actual tenth round in the magazine is not worth it -- so I only put in eight. Stupid California.

• 1 month later...