Cool Guns for your Games

Remjin

Re: Cool Guns for your Games

If I was going to build a custom revovler it would probably be in .45 LC because it is possible to buy three or 4 power levels of ammo off the shelf.

I think if I could put together my "perfect Revolver" it would probably be a 5" Blackhawk or Redhawk with a custom rear sight. I would like to build an "express style" or even a fold up ladder style rear sight for longer range shooting. [snip] I would give very serious consideration to Magna porting it too.

For much the same reason' date=' I'd probably pick .454 Cassul as the caliber for my custom revolver, giving me even more options. Porting would be a must. It would have a six-inch barrel with a full-length underlug; more likely, the barrel and lug would be a single massive slab of steel. I also really like the idea of the ladder sight.[/quote']

.454 Cassul? If I remember correctly, a .454 Cassul can chamber .45 colt interchangeably, is that correct? Hmmm... between that and the .45 colt statements of gewings, that does make for a very interesting idea.

Full underlugs, and in general, big fat barrels on revolvers are usually nice as a whole. I like their aesthetics, and its not like someone owns one for light weight. =) Now, a ladder rear sight.... that's definitely way out of my realm of experience.

The sight I was talking of is an express sight, gewing. Check it out and Bowen's. They have them for Rugers and S&Ws amongst the parts you can purchase from them.

Dangit, now you two have me rethinking the whole thing... I'm relatively new and inexperienced with the whole breadth of it all outside of reading too much. Its something I took up on my own out of curiosity. My preference for the .44 is pretty much about it being within my body of knowledge and having shot a lot of it, but your arguments for the .45 Colt and also the .454 Casull gets me thinking. I may have to try one of those... though the .454 Casull does look pretty stout from watching another guy shooting it during one of my shotgun sessions.

.454 Cassul? If I remember correctly, a .454 Cassul can chamber .45 colt interchangeably, is that correct? Hmmm... between that and the .45 colt statements of gewings, that does make for a very interesting idea.

Full underlugs, and in general, big fat barrels on revolvers are usually nice as a whole. I like their aesthetics, and its not like someone owns one for light weight. =) Now, a ladder rear sight.... that's definitely way out of my realm of experience.

The sight I was talking of is an express sight, gewing. Check it out and Bowen's. They have them for Rugers and S&Ws amongst the parts you can purchase from them.

Dangit, now you two have me rethinking the whole thing... I'm relatively new and inexperienced with the whole breadth of it all outside of reading too much. Its something I took up on my own out of curiosity. My preference for the .44 is pretty much about it being within my body of knowledge and having shot a lot of it, but your arguments for the .45 Colt and also the .454 Casull gets me thinking. I may have to try one of those... though the .454 Casull does look pretty stout from watching another guy shooting it during one of my shotgun sessions.

a>454 casull can fire .45 colt, or .45 schofield. The .460 Smith and Wesson (MONSTER) magnum can handle ANY of those three, and is hotter yet!

If I ever need the approx. 2000 ft lbs of energy the Casull Packs, I want a RIFLE!

a>454 casull can fire .45 colt, or .45 schofield. The .460 Smith and Wesson (MONSTER) magnum can handle ANY of those three, and is hotter yet!

If I ever need the approx. 2000 ft lbs of energy the Casull Packs, I want a RIFLE!

See, that's where I wonder... .44 seems about as much as I can comfortably shoot on a regular basis. Anything more would be seldom shot. .45 Colt sounds to be in a similar vein, with even lighter loads perhaps. Something to check out.

See' date=' that's where I wonder... .44 seems about as much as I can comfortably shoot on a regular basis. Anything more would be seldom shot. .45 Colt sounds to be in a similar vein, with even lighter loads perhaps. Something to check out.[/quote']

with handloading, any reasonable level of power could be loaded in either cartridge, at least in a Ruger or maybe Freedom Arms revolver.

To me, the .45 lc has three advantages:

In FACTORY loads, there are more power levels available. I have access to loading equipment, so not that big a deal.

Theoretically the larger diameter MIGHT make a difference...

BIGGEST advantage--- The romance of a truly CLASSIC cartridge. :D

A friend of mine had an M1917 Colt Army .45 Revolver. That was a sweet gun. My favorite personal firearm is my M1911A1.

I love my Kimber Pro-Carry II, but my wife has a S&W model 15 .38 special with a 4" barrel. That is so sweet to shoot I would like to have a revolver also.

If I found a good option, I might well trade my old Sig P228 for one. :eek:

Ah Edsel' date=' that was my old Army sidearm. I so miss the M1911.[/quote']

I use my 1911 the most, but its a springfield wide-body model (similar to para-ordnance but forged steel rather than cast) but its a pretty simple setup. I'd like to get it reworked someday.

I'll still have to consider the .45 Colt at some juncture. No money for guns right now.

My 1911 is a Series 80 model. I have had it customized some. I have short fingers so I have an extended slide release. I have a dove-tailed safety. I also had the action worked and smoothed over by a local gunsmith who works exclusively on the M1911. The gun is stainless steel with the satin finish.

Been doing some sixgun window shopping lately, in anticipation of my upcoming birthday and in general because I'm getting the "wanna new gun" itch.

I have decided that I am GOING to own a Ruger Old Army .44 in stainless, with the 7 1/2" barrel and adjustable front sights.

One of the other guns I've been drooling over is a bit out of my price range, but boy howdy is it pretty...the Beretta Laramie SA top break .45 LC

I find it kinda amusing you guys are talking guns and the like' date=' while I'm in the market for some nice blades.... ^_^[/quote']

I appreciat a nice blade as well, its on the list as well, but this is a firearms thread. =) Near every knife I want starts at a minimum of $500, though, and easily gets into several thousand. *sigh* And, its really hard, as a whole, to find a good quality executioner's knife (a chinese sword, don't know the chinese name anymore). A lot of junk and promises, not much quality.

What kind of blade are you looking for?

I'm also in the market for a very nice hammer, more likely a 20 lbs or heavier sledgehammer. I have a thing for 'em.

oh' date=' if I ever decide to start carrying, I've probably found my huckleberry... the Ruger SP101[/quote']

I really like the aesthetics and feel of this revolver, thought he one I handled had a hammer. Hammerless is nice for the usual use of this size of revolver, and the crimson trace laser grip is always a nice bonus. Fun to shoot with a laser, especially from odd positions like your hand around one side of something and your head on the other.

I have decided that I am GOING to own a Ruger Old Army .44 in stainless, with the 7 1/2" barrel and adjustable front sights.

One of the other guns I've been drooling over is a bit out of my price range, but boy howdy is it pretty...the Beretta Laramie SA top break .45 LC

Neat. Not into cap and ball, myself, but I do like a lot of them. I could get into it, maybe, for the right price. =) I like the Ruger Old Army quite a bit for aesthetics.

I really like the aesthetics and feel of this revolver, thought he one I handled had a hammer. Hammerless is nice for the usual use of this size of revolver, and the crimson trace laser grip is always a nice bonus. Fun to shoot with a laser, especially from odd positions like your hand around one side of something and your head on the other.

Yeah, for an all purpose DA I'd probably go with the GP100, but for a carry piece I'd prefer not to have a hammer that could get snagged or intercepted with a quick grab. And I like the option of the little red dot.

Neat. Not into cap and ball, myself, but I do like a lot of them. I could get into it, maybe, for the right price. =) I like the Ruger Old Army quite a bit for aesthetics.

I absolutely love the way the old army is put together, and it's got a bunch of nice features. It's about as accurate as you can make a cap & ball, can get performance near magnum levels using black power, and has a drop in conversion cylinder for .45 Long Colt available for it. At around $400 they're not on the bottom end of the cap & ball price range, but it's a Ruger. I have a great fondness for the sturdy construction of Ruger revolvers.

I saw an add today and checked the website... Taurus is now making their "Raging Bull" revolvers in a 5 shot configuration in .500 Magnum. I am ASSUMING this is the .500 S&W magnum...

For those who HAVE to have monster guns!

For a more practical pistol, Ruger is bringing out a .45 LC Redhawk that looks pretty nice... http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=5027&return=Y

Another interesting gun under development is http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg212-e.htm

THis site is a SUPERB resource for anyone who has not found it. :thumbup:

ON Express sights... I looked at the one at Bowen's site, and that wasn't quite what I had in mind, unless I missed it. I was thinking of something more like here http://www.z-hat.com/express_sights.htm with a second blade (maybe even a third) that would flip up and lock in place, providing a higher rear sight, for longer range shooting. Now, making one that would stay up on a powerful revolver might be difficult.

It is possible that a short sight somewhat like the SMLE No 4 Mk 1 would work.

or maybe something like on the "Artillery Luger" http://www.deactivated-guns.co.uk/detail/artillery_luger_snail_magazine.htm

FOr a refresher on some of the other guns I would like to have/shoot:

I have posted before that I really like the Kel-Tec P3AT. My wifes is far more accurate than I would have expected from the size.

I would like to try out their new PF-9, tiny 9mm Parabellum. http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/pf9.html

For a gun that you wouldn't be likely to "conceal" I would like to play with their http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/plr16.html IF I could get it converted to some of the other 5.56 length options it would be even better. :eg:

For what may be the most flexible but underrated pistol on the market...

http://www.eaacorp.com/handguns-witness-steel-description.html

And a few bolt action rifles I would be hard pressed to choose between if I had the money...

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/icon.php

http://www.czusa.com/products_bigbore_rifles.php

http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/84m/

One nice thing about the CZ rifles is that in the Magnum cartridges, like the .375 H&H, they hold one more round than anybody else. :P

Oh, and since I brought up Kimber... here is the one I have. :eg::D:thumbup:

http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/compactprocarry/procarry.php

I appreciat a nice blade as well, its on the list as well, but this is a firearms thread. =) Near every knife I want starts at a minimum of $500, though, and easily gets into several thousand. *sigh* And, its really hard, as a whole, to find a good quality executioner's knife (a chinese sword, don't know the chinese name anymore). A lot of junk and promises, not much quality.

What kind of blade are you looking for?

A kris from SE Asia. A shasqua from Russian. A kindjal from Russia. And a yataghan from Turkey.

A kris from SE Asia. A shasqua from Russian. A kindjal from Russia. And a yataghan from Turkey.

A friend was going to try to get us each a Khyber knife when he was in Afghanistan, but that didn't work out.

I would also like a kukri, a Katar or Bundi, that Chinese executioners sword, a Naginata, a good hatchet or tomahawk, a claymore, etc...:D

Yeah' date=' for an all purpose DA I'd probably go with the GP100, but for a carry piece I'd prefer not to have a hammer that could get snagged or intercepted with a quick grab. And I like the option of the little red dot. [/quote']

Friend of mine has the GP100, and I've considered it several times. Trigger takes some getting over, though, since I'm so used to S&W triggers. The typical stacking bugs me. I hear its pretty easy to improve from any competent gunsmith, but thus far the only gun I own that's ever seen a gunsmith was my shotgun... for new sights. =)

I absolutely love the way the old army is put together' date=' and it's got a bunch of nice features. It's about as accurate as you can make a cap & ball, can get performance near magnum levels using black power, and has a drop in conversion cylinder for .45 Long Colt available for it. At around $400 they're not on the bottom end of the cap & ball price range, but it's a Ruger. I have a great fondness for the sturdy construction of Ruger revolvers.[/quote']

Only $400, really? With the conversion cylinder, that might be much more to my liking... though the romance of black powder does strike a cord with me. Ruger is one of the best money to value ratios out there, in my mind.

I saw an add today and checked the website... Taurus is now making their "Raging Bull" revolvers in a 5 shot configuration in .500 Magnum. I am ASSUMING this is the .500 S&W magnum...

For those who HAVE to have monster guns!

ON Express sights... I looked at the one at Bowen's site, and that wasn't quite what I had in mind, unless I missed it. I was thinking of something more like here http://www.z-hat.com/express_sights.htm with a second blade (maybe even a third) that would flip up and lock in place, providing a higher rear sight, for longer range shooting. Now, making one that would stay up on a powerful revolver might be difficult.

The prototype you linked was neat. The idea intrigues me. As far as the .500 S&W Magnum goes, I might want the snubby version, but that's about it... and I don't think I'd want to shoot it much. Basically, if someone wanted to get rid of one, I'd buy it on the cheap, but that's about it. Its kind of crazy, as a whole.

Regarding express sights, I think our goals are different. I'm not a long range shooter with handguns, at least yet. When I can hit better in the short to moderate ranges, I'll think about getting into those long shots. =) At this point, anything beyond 25 yards isn't real tight, so those kinds of sights are out of my league, including laddered sights and the like. Kudos for being able to do it, but I'm still new to the game. I only want express sights for quit sight acquisition. I kind of point shoot for the most part, referencing the sights as I can. Not to say I have 24" groups or anything, I usually shoot in a fist sized hole in rapid fire out to 50' (as far as most indoor ranges go around here, with very very few outdoor ones).

Interesting. Good luck. Found a few in my search, they were mostly new and not necessarily utilitarian. Cool stuff, though. Always thought the Kris was a pretty wacky blade.

A friend was going to try to get us each a Khyber knife when he was in Afghanistan, but that didn't work out.

I would also like a kukri, a Katar or Bundi, that Chinese executioners sword, a Naginata, a good hatchet or tomahawk, a claymore, etc...:D

If you want them for display or light to medium use, I know of where to get several of these... except the claymore and above. =) For display, there are a lot out there that are pretty nice. For the admittedly severely unlikely need for a more "utilitarian" version, not so much, though.

Interesting. Good luck. Found a few in my search, they were mostly new and not necessarily utilitarian. Cool stuff, though. Always thought the Kris was a pretty wacky blade.

And I might have my kris in a few months!

:celebrate

Sweet! Congrats! What pattern? I don't know a LOT about it' date=' but I've read a tidbit or two here and there.[/quote']

Dunno... it was found at a market in... China? I'm getting it sight unseen, but I trust my buyer.