Cool Guns for your Games

Remjin

Re: Cool Guns for your Games

If that Muzzle loader needs a new home.... ;)

I don't feel comfortable with "Express" style sights. I just can't imagine them being very good for accuracy.

I hate Buckhorn and semi buckhorn sights on a rifle too. :mad:

I would go with a Ghost ring on a rifle, first, and they are available for pistols too, but...

A friend bought a Taurus PT1911 last week, with the factory Heinie "straight 8" night sights. He LOVES it, and them. He swears they are faster than conventional night sights (he carries a Glock with conventional night sights on duty as a rural deputy) and that there is no parallax in them. If you aren't lined up, you don't see both dots. These also allow a conventional sight picture during daylight.

I have conventional trijicons on my kimber, I like them just fine. If I was going to put any serious money into upgrades, I would probably add a pair of Crimson Trace Lasergrips. If they were available in the new Green beam laser that would be even better, but they are already out of my price range.

Okay, if I had LOTS of money to spare, I would probably get a 1911 with the conversion either to .45 super or .460 Rowland. The latter is probably getting a little silly though. :D

Oh, I know that cartridge conversion cylinders are available for some of the percussion revolver reproductions, but I DON'T know how that affects the way the ATF views them.

Well, Washington may go the way of California, as our governor seems to want to turn us into California North, but we are a long way from that yet. And Idaho is about as free on guns as it is possible to get. I would move there, but I can't afford to.

I really like the ghost ring set up on my Mossberg M590. I find it very useful for multiple targets and low light applications.

a video clip of the Kel-tec PLR-16 5.56mm autoloading pistol

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/videos/plr1.wmv

With the muzzle brake properly installed, it looks like double taps are reasonably possible.

Y'know, I used to think those pistols were kind of moronic... but now that I finally see one in action, I gotta say... its kind of tempting, afterall. It also makes we wonder if you can get a foregrip for it. =)

Anybody for a pistol with one of those drum style magazines? :eek: How well one could hold that up, I dunno, but the ridiculous often entertains me.

Y'know, I used to think those pistols were kind of moronic... but now that I finally see one in action, I gotta say... its kind of tempting, afterall. It also makes we wonder if you can get a foregrip for it. =)

Anybody for a pistol with one of those drum style magazines? :eek: How well one could hold that up, I dunno, but the ridiculous often entertains me.

Well, other than shooting groundsquirrels with it, it occured to me...

In WA state, with my CCW I can carry a loaded pistol in my car, or store one in my car if it is locked and the gun is out of sight.

It is illegal for me to have a loaded rifle or shotgun in the car.

PARTICULARLY if I could get one in 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC, The PLR-16 would bee dramatically more potent than my .45 or my 9mm. :eg:

Usually, cartridge conversions are a matter of gunsmiths rather than reproduction shops. So I'll likely not get one of either the LeMat or the Navy. :(

If 8-shot .357s is your thing, S&W has their 627 version in standard and Performance Center trim. 5" barrel is standard, with contoured shroud. Very sexy, and 5" is my preferred barrel length for N-frames... which are few and far between.

I have little experience with Taurus except that I didn't like their Milleniun series of pistols. Very cheap, but poorly constructed, with pins creeping out within 10 rounds fired. No malfunctions, but had to keep pushing them back in. Thankfully, it was an acquaintence's gun, not mine. I hear the revolvers are better, though. I also like the tracker concept and was intrigued by the medium frame .45 ACP 5-shot revolver.

Too many guns I'd like to buy, but alas... raising a family precludes my excessive gun ownership wants. :D

I've had a Taurus M44 for about 10 years now. As expected I have put several thousand rounds through it with out any kind of malfunction. It is my hunting and camping sidearm for the most part although I do sometimes use the lighter Ruger .357.

The M44 is put together quite well in my experience, and back when I got it it was around $400 new. ($396 IIRC). The only issue I can recall having with any Taurus was .45 LC casings not wanting to come out of the cylinder on a Raging Bull chambered for .454. 454 casings came OK, but the .45 LC casings really hung up badly. Aside from that I liked the Taurus firearms that I have shot and owned.

For much the same reason, I'd probably pick .454 Cassul as the caliber for my custom revolver, giving me even more options. Porting would be a must. It would have a six-inch barrel with a full-length underlug; more likely, the barrel and lug would be a single massive slab of steel. I also really like the idea of the ladder sight.

It seems likely that it would be based on a Ruger Super Redhawk.

I'm torn between a Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 and a S&W .500 for Elk hunting. I'm leaning toward the Ruger. I've fired the .454 out of the Taurus and the Cassul, and I find the round to be manageable. I've owned a Super Redhawk in 44 Mag, and I loved it. OTOH the numbers on the .500 S&W sure look formidable, and it seems like a revolver of S&W's good quality from handling it. I still haven't fired a .500 yet.

I love my Kimber Pro-Carry II, but my wife has a S&W model 15 .38 special with a 4" barrel. That is so sweet to shoot I would like to have a revolver also.

If I found a good option, I might well trade my old Sig P228 for one. :eek:

Diane (my SO) is very good with my Ruger Security Six .357 with a ~6 inch barrel. We might get her a GP 100 with a full lug and ventilated rib. She can run .38 spl though that all day long!:eg:

I like the shorty with the pistol grip. Funky, but amusing.

Never been a fan of all those rails on guns, but then, I'm not a cop or military guy, so I don't need all that real estate for all the funky gadgets. Shotguns are heavy enough. Mine just has a Surefire fore-end with light, a side saddle, and WC ghost rings. =)

I like the shorty with the pistol grip. Funky, but amusing.

Never been a fan of all those rails on guns, but then, I'm not a cop or military guy, so I don't need all that real estate for all the funky gadgets. Shotguns are heavy enough. Mine just has a Surefire fore-end with light, a side saddle, and WC ghost rings. =)

How do like your Ghost rings?

How do like your Ghost rings?

Pretty nice, very solid pieces. I should have gotten the set with the tritium rear, though, as the front dot disappears sometimes in the dark. A minor point, really, but if I were to have a complaint... =) I really prefer the XS front sight, without the wings, but their rear sight stinks. That combo (wilson combat rear, XS front) is available on the "police" version of the Remington 870, which came out shortly after I got my shotgun back from the gunsmith. :mad:

Its not bad, though. Someday, I'll get that shotgun, and just transfer everything over. I even have the Knoxx adjustable stock on it right now, which isn't a bad part, but I have to say I don't really like a pistol grip stock on a full-sized shotgun... or perhaps on shotguns as a whole.

Very very big electrical fields make very very hot air. Railguns don't need rocket assist to make flames or noise.

Actually part of it also is the projectile and the rails ablating: there's a fair amount of molten metal flying about - currently the rails have to be replaced every shot, because of the melting and warping.

cheers, Mark

I'd rather have their PDR, but ideally with a 20 inch barrel and chambered in either 6.5Grendel or 6.8 SPR.

Though a version in 5.56 with a non Short Barreled Rifle barrel length of at least 16 inches WOULD still be fun. :eg:

I don't want to have to get a Tax Stamp. A friend used to have an AUG with a short barrel, iirc. You have to keep the tax stamp (read Federal license) with the gun at ALL times, and as I recall the ATF can come check on the gun at any time. :idjit: