Cool Guns for your Games

Remjin

Re: Cool Guns for your Games

If anyone is looking for a reasonably priced 1911, look at the Taurus ones. They are getting rave reviews. I know two or three men who have them and LOVE them.

:)

I just picked up one of these this weekend! The PT1911 in Stainless steel. Haven't got a chance to shoot it yet but all the reviews I could find really liked it and it has a lot of features that would normally cost $1200+ in a pistol. I've heard it's a copy of a Kimber model since Taurus apparently designs nothing of their own.

I just picked up one of these this weekend! The PT1911 in Stainless steel. Haven't got a chance to shoot it yet but all the reviews I could find really liked it and it has a lot of features that would normally cost $1200+ in a pistol. I've heard it's a copy of a Kimber model since Taurus apparently designs nothing of their own.

I would absolutely take that "designs nothing of their own" with a grain of salt. Maybe a 50 lb bag!

I don't think anyone else makes anything much like the Raging Bull, or the "Judge"

:D

I think Taurus has some good ideas that they implement, but cheap is what cheap does.

They're revolvers originated from old S&W tooling, and they've moved on and up from there... but I've never seen the quality.

Their Millenium series of pistols was crap. Not too bad, considering the price point, but the pastic sights were likely to get snapped off and the pins in the frame came out as you shot it, within 20 rounds you had to push them back through the frame.

Taurus's ribbed grips actually work well, though I don't care for them, and they have the tracker series in addition to their raging bull line, and a few other goodies. I like that they try stuff. If they get their QC up, I'd be more inclined to purchase something.

I wish someone else would make a revolver similar to the Charter Arms Bulldog (.44 special snubbie close in size to j-frames from S&W) that was a tad less ugly. :D

I would absolutely take that "designs nothing of their own" with a grain of salt. Maybe a 50 lb bag!

I don't think anyone else makes anything much like the Raging Bull, or the "Judge"

:D

Well, most of the Taurus firearms I've seen are copies with mods on someone else's design.

I've had a Taurus PT92FS for 15 years or so which is a copy of the Beretta 92. Never had a problem with it. Taurus just modified the safety for the better in my opinion. I hated the Beretta safety. Set to high and not intuitive or a natural motion to activate at all.

My stepmother has a Taurus .357 revolver which is a copy of a S&W that has worked flawlessly target shooting and numerous javelina hunts.

And as I have stated I just picked up a PT1911 which is a copy of a Kimber custom Colt 1911. Although I haven't even had the chance to take it to the range yet so I can't comment on the quality. The Cabella's I picked up the Taurus at even had the Kimber model on the shelf right above it. The Kimber fit and finish was nicer but to me, not $1,000 nicer. YMMV

A quick perusal of there website http://http://www.taurususa.com/main/index.cfm?CFID=2169019&CFTOKEN=40592648 doesn't provide any proof otherwise. Tho' I didn't look at every single firearm, I did see the Raging Bull and it looked like a S&W custom to me but I'm no firearms expert nor even a hobbyist level gun nut but I didn't see anything on their site that didn't look to me like someone else's firearm. With everything, I'm sure there is an exception but the vast majority of Taurus' firearms look to be copies. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing...

Well, most of the Taurus firearms I've seen are copies with mods on someone else's design.

I've had a Taurus PT92FS for 15 years or so which is a copy of the Beretta 92. Never had a problem with it. Taurus just modified the safety for the better in my opinion. I hated the Beretta safety. Set to high and not intuitive or a natural motion to activate at all.

My stepmother has a Taurus .357 revolver which is a copy of a S&W that has worked flawlessly target shooting and numerous javelina hunts.

And as I have stated I just picked up a PT1911 which is a copy of a Kimber custom Colt 1911. Although I haven't even had the chance to take it to the range yet so I can't comment on the quality. The Cabella's I picked up the Taurus at even had the Kimber model on the shelf right above it. The Kimber fit and finish was nicer but to me, not $1,000 nicer. YMMV

A quick perusal of there website http://http://www.taurususa.com/main/index.cfm?CFID=2169019&CFTOKEN=40592648 doesn't provide any proof otherwise. Tho' I didn't look at every single firearm, I did see the Raging Bull and it looked like a S&W custom to me but I'm no firearms expert nor even a hobbyist level gun nut but I didn't see anything on their site that didn't look to me like someone else's firearm. With everything, I'm sure there is an exception but the vast majority of Taurus' firearms look to be copies. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing...

their older guns, particularly revolvers, are absolutely derived from Smith and Wesson designs.

The PT1911, like all of the various makes of 1911, is derived from an old colt obviously.

otherwise? :D

Custom Gun program, uses Photoshop, apparently, which I don't have... but possibly useful to those of you who do. =) Its the first link at the top.

http://www.norrkoping.bonet.se/rad/guns/

Girls with Guns posters at this site, check the left margin: http://www.nightcity.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Enjoy. =)

More from that site: I love the guns from the 70s, they're so Bond:

The HK P11 is one of the least known weapons to emerge from the Heckler & Koch factory. Developed during the early 1970s to arm frogmen (combat divers), this weapon is apparently in use with the Navies of Germany, Italy, France, Norway, the UK and the USA. This highly unusual weapon is probably the only serious rival to the Soviet underwater pistol, which appeared in late 1960s. The P11 and its ammunition is somewhat bulkier than its Soviet counterparts (the SPP-1M), but, on the other hand, the P11 has one round more capacity and a larger caliber, probably resulting in better lethality.

The HK P11 pistol is mainly unusual in the fact that it is not self-loading. Instead, it uses a quick-detachable cluster of five barrels, each factory-loaded with a powder charge and long, needle-like, drag-stabilized projectile. The pistol is reloaded by the replacement of an entire barrel cluster. In combat, the empty clusters are discarded, in training these are collected and later sent back to factory for reloading. Loaded barrels are protected from salt water by thin diaphragms, which are destroyed by the fired bullet at the instant of firing. Powder charges in each barrel are ignited using electricity, provided by two 9-Volt batteries, stored in a sealed container in the grip of the pistol. The effective range underwater depends on the depth, and is about 15 metres near to the surface. Above the water, the effective range is quoted as being around 30 metres, and while long and relatively heavy bullets can be lethal at longer ranges, the chances of hitting any target beyond the given range is minimal. This is because the barrels are not rifled, and bullets are not stabilized in the air, thus tumbling and yawing in flight through the air.[/Quote]

Couldn't leave it alone, sorry.

Kriss Super V™ submachine gun is an interesting experimental weapon which is currently (spring 2007) under advanced stages of development. The name Kriss comes from Indonesian sword or large knife with flame-like blade. This weapon is intended to provide operators with improved control over accuracy and bullet dispersion' date=' in both semi-automatic and full automatic modes, while firing hard-hitting .45 ACP ammunition. The overall design also permits the Kriss to be fired single-handedly when required by tactical situations and with adequate accuracy. To achieve those goals, Kriss Super V™ submachine gun employs three basic solutions. First is to place the axis of the recoil force in line with the firing hand, thus minimizing the muzzle climbing. Such system was previously employed in Olympic-class small-bore pistol developed in Russia and was subsequently banned from international ISU competitions because of extremely high accuracy, which made completion "unfair". The second solution is probably more novel, as it uses a laterally moving weight, attached to the breechblock (bolt), to divert recoil forces to the bottom direction. The third solution is actually a part of the second system, and it employs a variable-angle track in the weight (#510 on diagram above), which puts a breechblock at a mechanical disadvantage during earlier stages of recoil, thus slowing down the movement of the bolt while pressure in the barrel is still high. As a result of these measures, Kriss Super V™ submachine gun has significantly less muzzle climb when compared to most modern submachine guns. This results in better accuracy and better grouping of hits on target, providing operators with greater lethality during short-range and short-time encounters.[/Quote']

Kriss has a website -- looks impressive.

Not exactly a "gun", though there is a shoulder fired version apparently under development for the Marines... It would allow a fire team to carry a launcher and about 6 missiles. This usually will not kill tanks (though from the top, with the EFP?), but there are two warheads, as I understand it. One is an EFP to penetrate light armor, the other is a blast/fragmentation warhead. The shoulder launcher weighs abut the same as the missile tube itself.

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htairw/articles/20080301.aspx

To get us back on track with more elegant fare... I present Terry Tussey's Stealth Comp. If you have to have a compensator' date=' it may as well be sexy too...[/quote']

That reminds me of the cover gun on iirc American Handgunner one time, about 15 years ago. As I recall, It was a customized desert eagle, probably a .50, with a compact muzzle brake that matched the trapezoidal shape of the front profile, and I think they had one or even two laser sights built in to the lower portion of the profile. One IR, one visible.

I think the same guy did a similar gun on a Sig P226 or 229 later.

They were sweet looking. :eg:

EAA used to sell a carrycomp version of the witness, but I couldn't find any on their website. imagine a compact, compensated pistol with 10-15 rounds of 10mm. :eg:

That reminds me of the cover gun on iirc American Handgunner one time, about 15 years ago. As I recall, It was a customized desert eagle, probably a .50, with a compact muzzle brake that matched the trapezoidal shape of the front profile, and I think they had one or even two laser sights built in to the lower portion of the profile. One IR, one visible.

I think the same guy did a similar gun on a Sig P226 or 229 later.

They were sweet looking. :eg:

EAA used to sell a carrycomp version of the witness, but I couldn't find any on their website. imagine a compact, compensated pistol with 10-15 rounds of 10mm. :eg:

The impression I got about this guy from one article was that he was in love with Steven Segal, gushing about him like a school girl in an article or two. Despite that, yes, he makes neat stuff, though I haven't seen what you were talking about.