Colossus

Dennis Shaw

Re: Colossus

from: http://en.marveldatabase.com/Piotr_Rasputin_%28Earth-616%29#Powers_and_Abilities

Powers

Colossus possesses various superhuman physical attributes as a result of natural genetic mutation.

Organic Steel Transformation: Colossus is a mutant with the superhuman ability to convert the tissue of his entire body into an organic steel-like substance. This substance resembling steel is of unknown composition but appears to be analogous to osmium and to carbon steel. He is able to transform into this armor-like state at will (the process is virtually instantaneous) and remain in that form for an as yet undetermined amount of time. (The longest time he has remained in armored form by choice so far has been five days). Once in his armored form he remains so until he consciously wills himself back to normal. If he is rendered unconscious, however, he spontaneously reverts to his normal form. While in the armored state, Colossus possesses the same degree of mobility that he does in his normal form. The conversion from flesh and bone to organic steel is accomplished by a psionic whole-brain interface with an ionic form of osmium, an extremely dense metal, located in another dimension. In willing the act of transformation, Colossus actually exchanges osmium atoms for his carbon atoms. The psionic interface with the other dimension re-creates all of Colossus's body in functionally similar organic ionic-osmium materials. The process by which Colossus gains additional mass from an unknown, perhaps extra-dimensional, force remains unknown. Colossus cannot become partially or selectively armored; his body is either entirely converted or not.

* Superhuman Strength: After transforming into his armored state, Colossus possesses vast superhuman strength. As a teenager, he was sufficiently strong enough to lift about 70 tons. However, as a fully mature adult, his strength has increased, though the exact amount he can lift isn't clear. It is known that he can lift more than 75 tons with ease. He is shown able to lift far in excess of 100 tons .[1]

* Superhuman Stamina: Also, while in armored form, Colossus' musculature produces considerably less fatigue toxins than the musculature of a normal human. At his peak, he can physically exert himself at peak capacity for several days before the build up of fatigue toxins in his blood begins to impair him.

* Superhuman Durability: In his armored form Colossus is invulnerable to most forms of bodily harm. His armor is capable of withstanding ballistic penetration, including that of a 110 millimeter Howitzer shell. He can survive extremes of temperature from 70 degrees above absolute zero (-390 degrees Fahrenheit) to approximately 9000 degrees Fahrenheit. He could survive a collision with a loaded, one-ton flatbed truck at 100 miles per hour or an explosion of 450 pounds of TNT. He can go without food, water, or air for many days while transformed, though he would eventually require sustenance.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay' date=' after checking on Marvel.com Profile, I'll concede the LS debate :) However, I still don't see the issue with OIHID ...

The character has never had ANY difficulty with changing forms.

As a result, the ability fails to meet the requirements of that Limitation below:

302 ■ Character Creation: Power Modifiers

Hero System 5th Edition, Revised

ONLY IN HEROIC IDENTITY

Value: -¼

A character can only use a power with Only In Heroic Identity (“OIHID”) while he’s in an alternate identity. Obviously, only characters who maintain two distinct identities can use this Limitation. For example, it’s commonly used by superheroes who maintain a Social Limitation: Secret Identity, and by characters with some types of shape-shifting or body alteration abilities. It’s most appropriate for Superheroic campaigns.

For this Limitation to be valid, the character must have some difficulty changing forms — the change must take at least a Full Phase, if not longer (during which the character can do nothing else), and/or there must be other difficulties or ways to prevent him from changing identities. For example, a character who defines his suit of powered armor with OIHID would probably require much longer than a Full Phase to put the armor on. A character whose transformation to his alternate identity requires him to speak a magic word can be gagged or otherwise silenced to prevent the change.

A power usually cannot take both OIHID and a Focus Limitation. However, you can use OIHID to simulate characters who seem to have a Focus, but somehow never lose it. For example, the powered armor character described above never seems to lose his suit for long or have it taken away from him while he’s wearing it. Th erefore, it isn’t really a Focus — if he bought the armor as a Focus, he could lose it. Instead, his armor is better defined as a special effect of the OIHID Limitation.

The character has never had ANY difficulty with changing forms.

As a result, the ability fails to meet the requirements of that Limitation below:

302 ■ Character Creation: Power Modifiers

Hero System 5th Edition, Revised

the change must take at least a Full Phase, if not longer (during which the character can do nothing else), and/or there must be other difficulties or ways to prevent him from changing identities.

Okay ... the bold is mine. I could see Pete's change taking a phase to shift*. A phase isn't that long of a time in the first place ;) This comes down to a GM call really :) As it is, your build also uses OIHID, so again, I don't see where the problem is ...

* A phase being 1 second long (FRED pg. 232). Can someone react faster than a second? :)

As I read up on those powers I found out that they seem to be forbidden to be used in that way. They are only allowed for characters that actively manipulate their size and/or mass (like Hank Pym or Vision).

Isn't turning into a Metal form an active use of density increase?

Okay ... the bold is mine. I could see Pete's change taking a phase to shift*. A phase isn't that long of a time in the first place ;) This comes down to a GM call really :) As it is, your build also uses OIHID, so again, I don't see where the problem is ...

* A phase being 1 second long (FRED pg. 232). Can someone react faster than a second? :)

Serves me right for posting from work. :D

My apologies sir.

I hadn't closely looked at my posted build (it was a year ago).

I will have to think on this some more.

The point I was trying to make here was that Colossus can (and probably has) changed forms as a reaction to being attacked. In a sense, he is turning on a defensive power (in HERO terms). Arguably he should be able to abort to it. HERO abilities that have a time limitation (like: takes at least 1 phase to activate*) can't be aborted to.

*Just as adding the Limitation Costs END to a power like Life Support makes it Visible by default (without getting to take that Limitation as well) taking OIHID on a power makes it 1 phase to activate without actually taking the Extra Time Limitation.

I can't find the export format I used last year but I am attaching a new revised version of the character that reflects these concepts for any HDv3 users that are interested.

The point I was trying to make here was that Colossus can (and probably has) changed forms as a reaction to being attacked. In a sense, he is turning on a defensive power (in HERO terms). Arguably he should be able to abort to it. HERO abilities that have a time limitation (like: takes at least 1 phase to activate*) can't be aborted to.

*Just as adding the Limitation Costs END to a power like Life Support makes it Visible by default (without getting to take that Limitation as well) taking OIHID on a power makes it 1 phase to activate without actually taking the Extra Time Limitation.

I can't find the export format I used last year but I am attaching a new revised version of the character that reflects these concepts for any HDv3 users that are interested.

Like I said, at that point it really becomes a GM call :) Personally, I think he needs something to show the two forms ... there have been a few times where he was taken out in his "human" form and that's kind of important. And there is always a chance that something may happen to force him to switch forms (like Rogue touching him or encounter Leech). Really, it's a case of tomahto and tomayto ;)

As he did in the Savage Land to thwart Sauron's mutant life-force transfer. That was certainly an abort to armor! :)

One phase is how long?

I'd always ruled Full Phase Activations take until your next Phase. Spd 2 Man activates a Full Phase power on segment 6 if he's interrupted before 12 it doesn't work and he gets no benefit from it until then*. That might be a house rule or interpretation.

*barring special effects, dramatic license, a cool Power Trick, etc

Right ... but a phase is still 1 second long :) If you have a SPD 2' date=' you only act 2 seconds of a 12 second turn.[/quote']

That's not quite what I'm saying. A Segment is 1 second long butif a character is Spd 2 they don't act for one 1 second, stand still for 6 more then repeat. Their action is "spread out" across the intervening seconds/segments and that comprises their Phase. Otherwise combat feels like stop motion. Speed, Phases and Segments are abstractions for keeping track of actions and timing but the actions themselves flow smoothly. IOW, if a character has Speed 2, they act twice every Turn but those actions consume roughly 12 seconds of time.

YMMV as always. I guess it's not that important to the topic at hand.

Here is my updated try at the character

Colossus

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

20/60 STR 10 13- / 21- Lift 400.0kg/102.4tons; 4d6/12d6 [2/6]

18 DEX 24 13- OCV: 6/DCV: 6

20/40 CON 20 13- / 17-

15/20 BODY 10 12- / 13-

13 INT 3 12- PER Roll 12-

14 EGO 8 12- ECV: 5

20/25 PRE 10 13- / 14- PRE Attack: 4d6/5d6

16 COM 3 12-

7/30 PD 3 Total: 7/30 PD (7/30 rPD)

7/30 ED 3 Total: 7/30 ED (7/30 rED)

4 SPD 12 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

8/20 REC 0

40/80 END 0

40/75 STUN 5 Total Characteristic Cost: 111

Movement:

Running: 6"/12"

Leaping: 4"/8"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Cost Powers END

31 Osmium Metalic Form: Life Support (Immunity All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents; Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing) (39 Active Points); Visible (-1/4)

Notes: Character reverts to normal form if unconscious.

Secondary Powers of Osmium Metalic Form, all slots Linked (Osmium Metalic Form; Greater Power is Constant or in use most or all of the time; -1/4)

32 1) +40 STR (40 Active Points); Linked (Osmium Metalic Form; Greater Power is Constant or in use most or all of the time; -1/4) 4

12 2) Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) for up to 60 Active Points of STR (15 Active Points); Linked (Osmium Metalic Form; Greater Power is Constant or in use most or all of the time; -1/4)

32 3) +20 CON (40 Active Points); Linked (Osmium Metalic Form; Greater Power is Constant or in use most or all of the time; -1/4)

8 4) +5 BODY (10 Active Points); Linked (Osmium Metalic Form; Greater Power is Constant or in use most or all of the time; -1/4)

4 5) +5 PRE (5 Active Points); Linked (Osmium Metalic Form; Greater Power is Constant or in use most or all of the time; -1/4)

3 6) +4 ED (4 Active Points); Linked (Osmium Metalic Form; Greater Power is Constant or in use most or all of the time; -1/4)

8 7) Hardened (+1/4) for up to 30 Active Points of normal 15pd/15ed, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (10 Active Points); Linked (Osmium Metalic Form; Greater Power is Constant or in use most or all of the time; -1/4)

37 8) Armor (15 PD/15 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (56 Active Points); Visible (-1/4), Linked (Osmium Metalic Form; Greater Power is Constant or in use most or all of the time; -1/4)

13 9) Damage Resistance (15 PD/15 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (19 Active Points); Visible (-1/4), Linked (Osmium Metalic Form; Greater Power is Constant or in use most or all of the time; -1/4)

7 10) Knockback Resistance -5" (10 Active Points); Visible (-1/4), Linked (Osmium Metalic Form; Greater Power is Constant or in use most or all of the time; -1/4)

Perks

5 Various Contacts & Perks: Custom Perk

Talents

3 Lightning Reflexes: +2 DEX to act first with All Actions

Skills

Everyman Skills

0 1) Acting 8-

0 2) Concealment 8-

0 3) Conversation 8-

0 4) Deduction 8-

0 5) Persuasion 8-

0 6) Shadowing 8-

0 7) Stealth 8-

0 8) TF: Custom Adder, Small Motorized Ground Vehicles

Notes: Custom Mod is Everyman Skill

3 Acrobatics 13-

3 Breakfall 13-

3 Climbing 13-

3 Hoist 12-

2 KS: Art 11-

1 Language: Russian (imitate dialects) (5 Active Points)

3 Language: English (completely fluent)

4 Navigation (Air, Land, Marine) 12-

3 Paramedics 12-

2 PS: Artist 11-

2 TF: Large Planes, Small Planes

5 +1 with HTH Combat

10 +1 Overall Skill Level

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 239

Total Cost: 350

200+ Disadvantages

20 Normal Characteristic Maxima

130 Experience Points

Total Disadvantage Points: 350

In the classic issue where Petey goes toe to toe with Cain Marko (not in his Juggernaut outfit) Cain pretty much shoves him through a wall. Pete Changes to his armored form before impact.

I've given him Only in Hero ID because if he's surprised as Peter, he's toast.

In the classic issue where Petey goes toe to toe with Cain Marko (not in his Juggernaut outfit) Cain pretty much shoves him through a wall. Pete Changes to his armored form before impact.

I've given him Only in Hero ID because if he's surprised as Peter, he's toast.

Again, that's just an example of the interaction of the Suprised rules and the Abort rules (aborting to to a defensive ability). It has nothing to do with the OIHID rules.

362 ■ Combat And Adventuring Hero System 5th Edition, Revised

Characters who are Surprised normally cannot Abort their next Phase; they have, after all, been taken unawares (see Surprised, page 380). However, the GM may, in his discretion, allow them to Abort.

Again, that's just an example of the interaction of the Suprised rules and the Abort rules (aborting to to a defensive ability). It has nothing to do with the OIHID rules.

362 ■ Combat And Adventuring Hero System 5th Edition, Revised

But again, could be a GM call :) I think it's best that we all just agree to disagree here Hyper-Man ;)

Instant Change...

Peter did have a problem changing forms for a while, having to do with the period of time he spent as a statue, courtesy of Pyro and Avalanche.

And then there was the time after he was injured by the Marauders and healed by Magneto.

Actually Colossus still reverts to normal form when knocked out (I'd say 0 Stun). This is a pretty serious limitation' date=' I'd even consider giving it some Disad points as an uncontrolled change.[/quote']

So tell us, Pete ... how would you write yourself up? ;)

sorry ... had to ;)

Actually Colossus still reverts to normal form when knocked out (I'd say 0 Stun). This is a pretty serious limitation' date=' I'd even consider giving it some Disad points as an uncontrolled change.[/quote']

If you make the 'Armored Form - Armor' Costs Endurance to Activate, that will make Armor non-persistent, and thus turn off when knocked out.

You can't really argue with this... for obvious reason. :D

If you make the 'Armored Form - Armor' Costs Endurance to Activate' date=' that will make Armor non-persistent, and thus turn off when knocked out.[/quote']

This is another way to look at it :)

as almost all Colossus powers are linked to that armor, it really makes the character less expensive to operate purchase

I'd also consider giving him even higher Damage Reductions against falling and knockback only (-1 Limited, I'd guess). This illustrates how in the comics he tends to jump out of planes or get thrown for miles and take little damage.

Then again, generally in comics every character takes less environmental damage than they do from other people. Spider-man can be hurt by a punch from Daredevil, but seems fine recovering from 10 story falls and being hit by subway trains. DD is a strong fighter, I know, but not that strong.