Deep holes on Mars

Cancer

Re: Deep holes on Mars

Hrm. Looks like a martian version of a sinkhole.

Mars' lower gravity and solar heating of subsurface ice apparently cause occasional pressure venting that can fling loose strata (note the traces running from one side of the hole where residual dust seems to have settled).

This appears to be a natural, relatively recent (on a cosmological scale), structure.

Why does NASA have to keep talking about 'life on Mars' (the most improbable conjecture) to 'explain' otherwise exciting and interesting phenomena well worth studying and appreciating for what they actually are?

For one, because alien life is the "holy grail" of space exploration. Everything else is at heart just information - interesting, probably useful, but ultimately just new facts to be recorded - but life on other worlds would have profound philosophical implications and fire the imagination.

As a corollary to the above, it would also stir up public support (and likely government and corporate funding) for space exploration. ;)

Why does NASA have to keep talking about 'life on Mars' (the most improbable conjecture) to 'explain' otherwise exciting and interesting phenomena well worth studying and appreciating for what they actually are?

When did they do that? They didn't say in the cited release that the holes could have been caused by living things, just that they might be an interesting place to look for martian microbes.

I think you're right, it looks like a sinkhole, and if it is that's more evidence of liquid water on Mars very recently.

It looks like a sinkhole, but that's a wildly optimistic claim. On Earth, sinkholes usually develop in places with lots of groundwater and sedimentary bedrock (limestone), itself laid down at the bottom of large bodies of water. All of that would be stunning on Mars.

Further, the pic legend says it's on the flanks of Arsia Mons ... which is a shield volcano, so one would expect igneous rock there.

Faulty CCD.

This hole appears on *every* image and is where the instrument manufacturer put his thumb to press the CCD into the mount while building the instrument.

Seriously though, NASA is a political organization and as such has some inherent flaws. Back when I was in grad school there was a mission to repair an ailing satellite. One of our profs saw who the mission planner was, handed a sealed envelope to the grad students and said "read this after the mission". He had the three failed attempts at automated or robotic repair and the eventual human spacewalk down to within 15 minutes each, including the successful spacewalk and announcement just in time for primetime news on the east coast.

Since that time I have been a bit more skepitcal of any announcements on NASA headers. Generally, you can attribute the words to the required politics for funding the programs the author is interested in.

This would also be why I am no longer an academic....

Yeah. My bad. I was thinking about a phenomenon I'd heard described near the Martian polar regions.

Volcanic venting, collapses and so on also explain this picture very nicely, especially considering how huge the volcano is. Which makes it all the more worthy of study and exploration.

I'm curious' date=' how do we know it's a hole? I see a black spot on a photograph. Did they radar scan the thing to know it's a hole? Otherwise, couldn't it just be a spot of very black nonreflective rock?[/quote']

Technically, such a rock would cast a shadow and repeat imagings would show different shadows. I dunno if such an experiment has been done but since this is a repeat image of something that another device saw, I would assume that a comparison was made. Without changes in shape caused by shadows a hole is your best geometric bet but a smooth, flat, round patch of totally non-reflective material could do it... Occam's razor is the argument against.

So how many space probes have vanished upon their arrival at Mars and how many of them are currently being stored by the Martians in these holes?

The footage from the probe is now classified. The hole was our only warning.