Total Newbie Here; prospective HERO-er

Re: Total Newbie Here; prospective HERO-er

And then we'll argue amongst ourselves about answers, producing another handful of answers. We will eventually hijack your initial question as we go off on a tangent about an esoteric bit of rules that most of us change from campaign to campaign anyways.

No we won't. We always stay on topic. Are you from Kansas?

First - ask us anything. We'll provide an answer. Often a handful of answers.

And then we'll argue amongst ourselves about answers, producing another handful of answers. We will eventually hijack your initial question as we go off on a tangent about an esoteric bit of rules that most of us change from campaign to campaign anyways.

This is normal.

One further thought: when your question is the subject of much debate and differing opinions among experienced players on the Board, this should be taken to mean that it was a pretty good question. While it can be frustrating to be unable to get a clear answer, it also indicates the question wasn't one with an obvious right answer, so you can't be considered a "newbie" for not immediately knowing the answer is plainly stated on 5er p 327.

I do not see how knowing or not knowing the answer is plainly stated on 5er p 327 identifies someone as being or not being a newbie. I have seen plenty of veterans miss a rule that is in the book.

Very true. My point is simply that an argument over the correct answer highlights the fact that no one has a monopoly on the "right answers".

Agreed' date=' and explicitly declaring that pertains to Steve Long as well.[/quote']

Yup. For that matter, compare the frequency with which "The answer is on 5er p327" is met with "Oh, that settles it then" to being met with "Well, that's getting house ruled in my game".

The first rule is that the rules are guidelines to be changed when they interfere with the desired gameplay.

Which, honestly, gets done in every group with every system. For me, personally, I have to do it less in Hero than in other systems. So I guess what I am saying is that Hero may not be perfect, it is perfect for me right now.

I do not see how knowing or not knowing the answer is plainly stated on 5er p 327 identifies someone as being or not being a newbie. I have seen plenty of veterans miss a rule that is in the book.

Huh, you mean there's a book :jawdrop:

:D

You guys are so great. Nice' date=' smart, helpful; I hope i can contribute more once i actually get the book. :doi:[/quote']

You forgot charming, handsome, and modest. :cool: (Just hang around here for a while - it'll rub off on you too.) :winkgrin:

Agreed' date=' and explicitly declaring that pertains to Steve Long as well.[/quote']

I think Steve's favorite phrase is "Dramatic And Common Sense"

I'd be willing to bet Steve ignores the book his fair share of the time.

Oh Pizzini - let me point out the single most important chapter in the book;

Chapter 7 - Changing The System.

I've seen several published characters he created that bend or break his own default rules, although he always points out where that's the case.

What is that program called that I seem to hear so much about? The one that's evidentially great for vets and newbs alike. Also' date=' where should I get it?[/quote']

The program is called Hero Designer. You can find it in the Online Store here:

https://www.herogames.com/viewItem.htm?itemID=202841

Scott Baker

Oh Pizzini - let me point out the single most important chapter in the book;

Chapter 7 - Changing The System.

Agreed. Rule #1 is: They're more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules.