Is Gotham City a substitute for Sin City?

Mark Rand

Re: Is Gotham City a substitute for Sin City?

Here are some of the characters in my version of Old Town. Some are based on Frank Miller's characters. Others are my own creation.

Dwight and Gail, both in their early 30s, have been a couple since grade school. He was in Delta Force and is an expert marksman with most firearms. Gail is as she is in the comics. Shellie is Gail's first cousin. Miho is Dwight's half-sister. She wears a black ninja nightsuit.

Marv and Nancy are a couple. He's the bouncer at Kadie's Club Pecos, where she dances. The twins, Goldie and Wendy, the neighborhood's leaders, respect Dwight's skills.

Molly, the neighborhood doctor, is a trauma surgeon who was fired from her job at an area hospital after testifying against a fellow doctor, whose father was on the hospital board, in a murder trial.

Dallas is Miho's usual driver. She always dresses in a Zorro-like costume.

Dale is Molly's mother and her office nurse. Since she became a nurse in the 1960s, she has abandoned her scrubs for a white uniform and cap. Given the colorful garb worn by the ladies of Old Town, she attracts little attention.

Janice owns the neighborhood funeral parlor. Since it's also the only crematorium in Gotham City, it's always busy. She's always willing to cremate a corpse or two, or a shipment of drugs, for her neighbors.

BTW' date=' the recent Batman movie based Gotham City on Chicago instead of New York.[/quote']

I didn't know that. However, I did know that they filmed part of Batman Begins in Chicago and the city partially inspired the design of Gotham City.

This stuff often moves around too. I have heard that Metropolis is somewhere in Rhode Island or Delaware, Gotham in NJ. I think that these things often shift and morph, based on the needs of the story and the persopn at the helm of the titles (as well as the sensibilities of the public). If you need it to be gothic and crowded go certain areas of New York, more caves of steel and glass go Chicago around the Sears Tower, that sort of thing.

But I do think of Gotham and Sin City as more or less the same; "with comics code and without" is as good a description or observation as I have seen or indeed would make myself.

The truce between the girls of Old Town and the Gotham City police is one of the more interesting things that might come into play. Batman, I think, would accept it and may even have one or two of the ladies as informants.

Dwight, too, would be a good informant for him. However, it might be limited to weapon information.

• 2 weeks later...

The truce between the girls of Old Town and the Gotham City police is one of the more interesting things that might come into play. Batman, I think, would accept it and may even have one or two of the ladies as informants.

Actually, in a few of the more recent Batman comics Bats does indeed save a few "working girls", and obviously knows them all by name, hinting at having saved them numerous times. So this wouldn't be a stretch at all from the comics.

Also, if anyone has read the abomination that is the All Star Batman & Robin series that's going on right now, Frank Miller has written Gotham EXACTLY like Sin City now. Police are completely corrupt (ridiculous car chases where the Bat kills dozens), and the city is just a complete dump.

Personally, I prefer Frank Miller's depiction of Gotham as he wrote it in Batman: Year One. It's a nice in-between of the modern Gotham and Sin City (which I'd bet he based off of Gotham).

Being a city neighborhood, there are the usual stores and services. The merchants have gotton over the shock of seeing armed people in various constumes come into their place of business.

All the neighborhood school crossing guards have Molly's office number on their cell phones that were paid for by a grant from Wayne Enterprises.

Dave, am employee in Janice's funeral home, is flirting with Dallas, and she's been seen flirting with him.