Hudson City Map now in the online store

HeroTina

Re: Husdon City Map now in the online store

This is a color PDF, that much the description tells me. What size is it?

I ask because I have access to a color plotter that will handle up to 4 foot wide plots. Is this a standard size map or something that can be printed with good detail if I print it 2' x 3'

This is a color PDF, that much the description tells me. What size is it?

I ask because I have access to a color plotter that will handle up to 4 foot wide plots. Is this a standard size map or something that can be printed with good detail if I print it 2' x 3'

I just bought it. The resolution is pretty nice, I can't give an exact density since I only have Adobe Reader. But I snapshotted D5 D4 E5 E4 and printed them blown up on an 8x11 page and there was no loss. I also did a print of a square from the upper left corner of the Hudson City Underground to the lower right corner of the Juvenile Offenders Correctional (in the Highlands) with no loss and a very crisp sharp image. If you zoom in on the ships in the piers off of Bayside the little boxes for the ship containers are distinct and separate little rectangles.

All in all I think the detail will be street map quality at the 2'x3' size. Easy.

It is this map. The same one that Steve showed off when he got it. If you have a large enough color plotter, or can hire it done, you should be able to produce a copy of Steve's map.

Trying to print it on 8.5"x11" standard paper results in a zoom of 48% but that will leave a little margin at the top and bottom. My guess is that 100% size would be about 17"x20". I think you could even blow it up to twice that size and not lose any detail. It is a very precise and crisp PDF.

• 4 weeks later...

Re: Hudson City Map now in the online store

Well, I purchased it Thursday evening.

It's the first (and probably only) PDF I have actually purchased. I must admit it... the resolution is quite astounding.

I plan on hopefully having it printed at FedEx/Kinkos, maybe print two copies. One, I'll laminate and use for gaming... and one I'll frame, and hang on the wall.

It was well worth the 10 smackeroos. :thumbup:

Well, I purchased it Thursday evening.

It's the first (and probably only) PDF I have actually purchased. I must admit it... the resolution is quite astounding.

The resolution of this PDF is above the ordinary, probably because they figured that people would want to enlarge and print it at sizes much greater than 8.5" x 11", thus far I have printed it at 11"x17" tabloid and the results are good, however the big color plotter that I am normally able to access for free is having problems right now so I haven't been able to print my 2'x3' :(

Based on what I an seeing though the map won't really lose any quality if printed at that size.

It is definitely worth the 10 bucks, especially if you have a way, or are willing to pay, to have a large poster-sized printing done.:thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

One of my players just gave it to me as a b/d gift, and had it printed out at Kinko's on a 36"x30" sheet of vinyl. Very nice...

(Though I understand Kinko's was a bit of a pain about it and Steve needed to send them an e-mail giving them permission before they would agree to do the job. Thanks, Steve!)

*dances and gloats some more*

It was such a great gift if I do say so myself! (yes..it was from me.)

I had a test print done on 11x17 but didn't like the dimensions, the print shop actually suggested that 36x30 would be a good size, and it turned out beautifully.

The detail is nice and I don't see any blur because of the size.

It's a great map, and since the majority of my gaming done with Tom is IN Hudson City it was a good buy.

And..being vinyl it's more durable, more portable, and he may be able to use dry erase markers on it..not sure about that last thought.

One of my players just gave it to me as a b/d gift, and had it printed out at Kinko's on a 36"x30" sheet of vinyl. Very nice...

(Though I understand Kinko's was a bit of a pain about it and Steve needed to send them an e-mail giving them permission before they would agree to do the job. Thanks, Steve!)

It'd be cool if it came with a cover page stating a print for personal use could be made.

Of course - Some Kinko's simply don't understand "For Personal Use" under Copyright laws and actually violate it going in the other direction by refusing to print things like this. Copyright covers end-user rights too, which is often forgotten.

and the real kicker is I just looked at mine - it doesn't have Copyright info on it anywhere, unless I just completely missed it. Which is double bad on Kinko's as it could very well be yours for all they know!

• 3 months later...

One of my players just gave it to me as a b/d gift' date=' and had it printed out at Kinko's on a 36"x30" sheet of vinyl. Very nice...[/quote']

I just had mine blown-up and put on 36"x30" vinyl. You are right... Very nice. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I just had mine blown-up and put on 36"x30" vinyl. You are right... Very nice. :D

I second that motion!:D Edsel's map is FANTASTIC!:celebrate

The quality of the pdf file is superb to print out as well as it does!:thumbup:

I would be VERY CAUTIOUS about using any dry erase markers on a newly printed vinyl map. You don't want the dry erase ink to blend with any of the colors from the map.:mad: Do yourself a favor,:o and use a simple piece of plexi / lexan / glass, whatever clear cover is available for you to use. You will thank yourself for years to come, with such a clear, crisp, clean map of Hudson City!:cool: