GenCon: Who's going, and who's playing what?

Watchdog

One week to go, and I'm getting psyched. As much as I liked Milwaukee, from what I've heard Indianapolis will be a real upgrade in facilities.

Did you preregister for most of your events? Or do you prefer to get generic tickets and wing it when you get there? What are you most looking forward to?

open event

The Champions event on Thursday 8AM will have a player slot open. I am judging it and I have a ticket for the same event, so I have a open slot. Anyone with generic tickets is welcome to trade me for my ticket.

The slot is RPG00229 Champions 101: Holding Class Qualifiers

Indy

Although I am very Jealous of all of you how are going,(I have roleplayed since 79, and have never had money at the right time to go),I will give up this peice of info.

if you have free time between games, or are just jonesing for some good food, there is an italian place called Buca De Bepo,they are relativly inexpensive (70$ for a party of four, including drinks), and i can gaurantee you you will go away full.(we had left overs for 3 days, )

As a Culinary Professional, My personal suggestion is the Chicken Caccitore, When I ordered it the order was huge

8 peices of chicken,on a bed of the absolutely best garlic mashed potatoes Ive ever had.it was only $15.00

they also have top notch Pizza andEggplant Parmesean, for you vegatarians out there.

If you can, call ahead for reservations we did, we had to wait for 5 minutes for our seats, while we waited, they were handing out slices of pizza(dont know if they still do that)

The wait staff is pleasant, and even though they were packed, we never felt like we were rushed.

Just my input.

Have fun!!!!

Chef Patriot

Hero will of course be there, at booth #1926 (A double-wide endcap this time- we be *stylin'*!) Steve, Allen, Tina and I will be there, with part-time aid from Dave M when he isn't off GM-ing somewhere.

We also will have the odd guest in our booth at different times: so far we've confirmed Storn Cook and Lisa Hartjes to drop by and sign, sketch and/or shmooze, and we're not done signing people up yet, so be sure to check the schedule in the booth itself for the latest.

At last count there were 80-something Hero games being run over the four days, an outstanding turnout. GMs like Dave, Joe Linehan, Rod Currie, Leah Watts, Bob Pennington and Sue Grau and the entire Triple-I gang, among many others, will be working overtime to provide countless hours of Hero goodness.

So be sure to drop by the booth, say hi and pick up your copy of Fantasy Hero still warm from the oven. dw

I'll second the Buca di Bepo nomination. It's been a pre-convention tradition for our group to eat there Wednesday night. We feel lucky that there is another Buca in Indianapolis. The garlic mashed potatoes are awesome. It's family style, so bring a big appetite.

There's a Hooters, too, so our dining out needs will be completely met. :)

Since we're promoting HERO events, I'll point out that I will be running Can of Whupass for the fifth year, Saturday at 7 pm. Lots of old favorites will be returning, as well as six new characters. We're very proud of this event, and if you stop by, you'll see why.

And Dave, make sure they let you out of the booth that night so you can play! :)

Andon hasn't run GenCon for several years.

The past few years it's been run by WOTC.

Last year it was sold to Peter Adkison, the founder of WOTC but no longer an employee of WOTC. He's formed a company to do nothing but run GenCon (well, GenCons -- he's planning others than the one in Indy).

Given that it's under new management, and in a new venue, I think it's definitely worth checking out even if you had a bad experience previously.

Hmm maybe I will if they bring back the "Women and Minorities In Gaming" seminar, that rocked till they stopped doing it. I really had fun connecting with other female players and talking about problems and solutions and being able to express our views about stuff to the game developers. I hope they also start doing something to encourage peeps to GM. I know my husband had finally stopped GMing after they way they had screwed up all the scheduling of his games. Which was too bad, as he had run a Klingon game every year for many years.

I will most definately be there, and so far the only event I'm in is a game for the Escape from the Late Late Late show, an excellent comedy game btw.

Since I'll be taking my first-timer girlfriend to GenCon, I'm hoping I can keep her occupied for the entire four days. She's into gaming, but seems hesitant to join a game with people she doesn't know. :rolleyes: Ah well, hopefully she'll change her mind.

Try a game together first to let her get used to it. Or, if she's into Amber or some other game like that, a pick up game would introduce her to some of the more rabid game players. That way she would most likely know someone in every game. The dealers room will also suck up a lot of time, as will the art show. If they are still doing the anime showing that might be fun and of course go to the Costume show.

Since we're promoting HERO events, I'll point out that I will be running Can of Whupass for the fifth year, Saturday at 7 pm.

This is my only must-play game each year. The Whup Ass game is tons of fun. Even if you can't play in it, stop by for a few minutes and watch the bloody goofiness. Look for two giant tables stuck together with 15 to 20 players, 4 GMs, a video camera, a wrestling ring, and a big box of prizes.

As for what I'm running this year, I'll be running:

* Thieves' Crown Thursday at 8AM, in which the lieutenants of the thieves' guild (i.e. the PCs) compete against each other to retrieve a legendary item.

* Demon Hunter FBI, the Television Series, Friday at 8AM, in which special crack agents investigate paranormal crimes, in the manner of a TV show, complete with actors and commercials.

* Big Brawls: Game Wars, in which archetypes from superhero, fantasy, and horror games duke it out. This one is being run twice, once Thursday at 7PM, and once Saturday at 8AM.

I will be running my SuperSquad America 2003 event at Gencon. This is a two round event. The first round will be run on Thursday at 8:00 am, Friday at 12:30 pm and 9:30 pm, and Saturday at 12:30 pm. The second round (featuring the best players from round one) will be run on Saturday at 9:30 pm. While all the player slots in round one (8 per session) have been sold out for a couple of weeks, I actually have 9 characters that can be played in round 1, meaning that I actually have an open slot in each round 1 session. Like Geoff, I will be in the Infinite Imaginations Inc (III or Triple-I, for short) room. For more information about my game, see members.rogers.com/supersquadamerica.

For other good games, I would suggest that any Hero game run by III will be good. Many of the III GMs have been running convention games for years. Also, while I have not played in any of their eventss, I pretty much only heard good things about games run by Joe Linehan and Bob Pennington at Origins.

Rod Currie

I'll be there, as well, roaming around looking for work. I couldn't miss it with it being the premier of the new Fantasy Hero book! I've gotta see what it looks like. I'll also have my portfolio with me and it has the originals for some of my illos for the upcoming Viper book.

I'm looking forward to meeting the hero staff and fans for the very first time.

Erik:cool:

Gen Con

I'll definitely be there GMing more than I have since Gen Con accidentally double scheduled two of my games. I'll be running 2 slots of Champions 101 which should be pretty good thanks to my unofficial editors in Leah and Rodney and I'm running 4 other totally silly and ridiculous games.

JSA: Goling back to Kali: Not Too Silly

Auditioners 2: Quite Silly

The Night The Reindeer Died: This is Very Silly

Cereal Killers IV: Crunchberried: This is Really Really Silly!

I'm happy to report that as of 11:00 tonight, they are completed. I do have a website for my games (Which are sold out, but I'm good at getting in generics) http://hometown.aol.com/gencon2002/2003.html