Needed for Champions

Bigblue

Re: Needed for Champions

Agreed. The core Fifth Edition rulebook has all the system rules as well as some supers-genre-emulating advice and a few prebuilt characters, powers, weapons and equipment, vehicles and other stuff. With a little time and elbow grease to set up your campaign you could do fine with just that book.

If you're not familiar with the genre and/or HERO then the Champions genre book would be very helpful. It has lots more advice, examples, prebuilds and some additional optional rules to better simulate the supers genre. But it isn't strictly necessary. Beyond those books it becomes a matter of what resources you'd be interested in or find useful.

I'd heartily recommend Conquerors, Killers, and Crooks. It's a mess of premade villains of varying power levels - they may not all be to your taste or appropriate to your campaign, but you're bound to find at least some characters you'll want to use, and doing so will save you a lot of time.

Recently (about 3 months ago) I lost all my books (long story). I had to really question myself what I NEEDED. I got the Sidekick book. Basic, basic, basic rules.

I also got Hero Designer, to help type out characters. Not NEEDED but very, very helpful.

Then I got the PDF version of 5th Edition. Cheaper but still fully intact with what Sidekick doesn't provide. The full version is for the NEXT step up from sidekick. There is SO much more in the full edition, that I'd actually recomend it instead of Sidekick. Again Not NEEDED but highly, highly recommended.

(I'm waiting to see if they really are going to redo Champions before I get that one. But really the original was pretty good.) Agian not NEEDED but highly recommended.

Also, I got the character pack of Conquerors, Killers, and Crooks, Bestiary, and the ultimate Vehicle. (Still waiting on an answer why the Ultimate Vehicle sourcebook character pack is so much.) These won't give you a background on their characters, but are great for working out your own characters. Maybe not NEEDED but helpful.

Also' date=' I got the character pack of Conquerors, Killers, and Crooks, Bestiary, and the ultimate Vehicle. (Still waiting on an answer why the Ultimate Vehicle sourcebook character pack is so much.) These won't give you a background on their characters, but are great for working out your own characters. Maybe not NEEDED but helpful.[/quote']

The Ultimate Vehicle character pack is $4.99. TUV tells you how to build vehicles, with some examples.

The HS Vehicle Sourcebook is $30.00. HSVS is nothing but vehicle write-ups. Buying the Character Pack is essentially buying the book.