Breaking Personality Stereotypes for the Archetypes

Hermit

Take each character, make them primarily good at one sort of archetype, and a novice at another. Then have each really love their novice powers, and hate their primary ones.

A Brick who is obsessed with his minor magical aptitude, and the group's Mystic.

A Speedster who fanatically trains with the Mentalist to develop his technokinesis powers.

A Energy Projector who loves Kung Fu Fighting (but has only the ability of a minorly talented normal at it).

And a Mystic who desperately wants to understand the idea of patriotism. He's an alien, and is as arcane as can be, and has never heard of patriotism. Maybe his society is naturally anarchical (from our perspective) and is slowly dissolving from it. The Energy Projector is a Patriot (Chinese?).

A Mentalist with a wicked temper and a love of destruction. He follows around the Brick.

And a Martial Artist whose talents don't include flight, the one thing he was expecting to finally master in his Eastern travels (the Speedster is the Flyer). I guess he saw Crouching Tiger too many times.

Call them The Envious. Oh, and strengthen the explanations for why they hate their primary powers (the comics are filled with them).

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a brick which was a small (5'2') red-haired female scientist...The most fun I had was beating someone on the head with a conference table on the way down to the street below... all while dressed in a lab coat, hair up in a bun and glasses on. She was the scientific brains of the group (it was a time travel game) and a major feminist (which made life interesting traveling through time). So on one hand she was this sort of drab geeky repressed type woman, but on the other hand an amazon warrior when pissed off. Lots of fun!

Re: Breaking Personality Stereotypes for the Archetypes

Originally posted by Hermit

Brick- This was one of the hardest because the 'strong guy' type is so darn common in comic books. You have brutish Bricks, ingenius Bricks, joking bricks, angsty bricks, and so on. I tried to find one personality trait that I didn't see much, and it was hard. However, I was thinking maybe a pacifist Brick? One who prefers not to fight until he must. Some might even confuse him (or her) for Timid.

Nah! not a pacifist! A brick who is a scrawny little guy who really doesn't know his own strength. He doesn't so much punch opponents as slap-fights (and sends them flying). Quote would be something on the order of "Stop!" ::slap:: ::smash:: "Who did that?"

Energy Projector- Most I've seen tend to match the 'energies' they project. Flame characters are 'hotheads', Ice characters are either chillingly aloof or at least keep their cool ;) Sometimes you get a reversal just for contrast. This one really stumped me.

EP with a case of terminal boredom. "Oh, Ghod! Not another pointless battle. Can I just fry this one and sit the rest of this out?"

Gadgetteer- I could be wrong, but I really don't think there are that many combat eager gadgeteers in the comic books. Well, at least not heroes. Sure, they get excited about science, but how many like to kick butt? The idea of a gadgeteer super hero with an attitude of "I can't wait to try out my new boom disk! uhm, on evil, of course." appeals to me.

How about the gageteer who doesn't have a clue what he's doing? He's just playing with bits and pieces, and then Wow! something works!

Martial Artist- Are there many blue collar Martial Artists? Average joes who aren't into zen? I guess Dirty Infighters would be that sort. Maybe I'm missing some options here.

Stolen from another poster's Brick suggestion: The Flaming Homosexual Martial Artist. More than enough said!

Patriot- Has anyone made a Patriot who challenges his or her own government regularly? Participating in rallies and such? I had a concept called "Defiant" that did just that. I think it was fairly original, but I could be wrong. Mind you, given the Avatar part of Patriots, anything COULD be done really.

That would be the character called Freedom!, who fights against Government interference in the lives of it's citizens, and strives to protect those citizens, and their freedoms.

Weaponmaster- Honorbound Swordsmen, Rough edged archers, joking heroes who fling theme weapons ("Pick a card, any card"). The only Weaponmaster I don't have spring to mind instantly is "The Reluctant Weaponmaster". Normally, mastery of a weapon is sought. These folks WANT to use their weapon well. So a reluctant one might require some finagling on the background. On second thought, I suppose Travis Morgan, D.C.'s Warlord might have qualified, but its not like I remember he and that hungry blade teaming up with the JLA much.

Skateboard Kid Weaponmaster. He hasn't studied his whole life. He has no dedication. He just does it because it's fun. Just natural talent and nothing better to do on a saturday afternoon.

Doc

Powered Armor guy that discovers sentient armor rather like the sentient armor of Iron Man (one of my favorite comic series) The armor needs a user and an ordinary blue-collar working man that's down on his luck fits the bill just fine. The new user is bitter about the failure in his personal life and the armor makes it easy for him to get even and get ahead. When the heroes finally encounter him and the armor he may be terrified of the armor but also totally dependant on it. The armor comes with a full set of technical specs and the user is skilled enough at the mechanics of iot that he can keep it going. Of course acquiring funds is easy for an amoral AI in the armor with his weak willed accomplice.

Or a suit of magical armor that was magically bound to a hero. The trouble is that the hero's been dead for three hundred years, and the intelligent armor simply cannot become unbound from the warrior's skeleton. So it has decided to move around, just leaving the limp skeleton there behind the visor.

Edit: On second thought, that sounds vaguely familiar. . . .

The Rough Mechanicals

This reminds me of a Tom Holt book called "Flying Dutch". The story was about the Flying Dutchman, an immortal Dutch ship's captain and his immortal crew. They sail the seas in their 17th century sailing ship, making landfall only once every 7 years (because of The Smell). Their immortality and invulnerability come from beer mixed with an elixir stolen from an alchemist passenger.

Re: The Rough Mechanicals

Originally posted by Stephen Mann

This reminds me of a Tom Holt book called "Flying Dutch". The story was about the Flying Dutchman, an immortal Dutch ship's captain and his immortal crew. They sail the seas in their 17th century sailing ship, making landfall only once every 7 years (because of The Smell). Their immortality and invulnerability come from beer mixed with an elixir stolen from an alchemist passenger.

Excellent book! :)

His Expecting Someone Taller, Faust Among Equals, and Who's Afraid of Beowulf? were also very good. Any of them would make a good setting for a tongue-in-cheek Champions campaign.

Martial Artist- Are there many blue collar Martial Artists? Average joes who aren't into zen? I guess Dirty Infighters would be that sort. Maybe I'm missing some options here.[/b]

I once played a 15yr old crusty anarcho-punk who happened to be the re-incarnation of the last praticioner of a lost style of Kung Fu. He had great kung fu but didn't know how. Of course his grandfather (DNPC) knew but no one ever listened to him.

Mystics- It's all been done. :) Prove me wrong.[/b]

The supreme mystic in my campaign is The Finn, a super-intellegent android who was told to scan a large occult library. He has since spent 60 years studing the occult and redesigning himself. Currently the world is in danger because someone hit his tower with an EMP and made off with his head (aslo the world's most complete occult database).

Powered Armor- Scientific minds, and playboys often seem to be the norm. I've seen soldiers placed in suits. I don't recall many rebels here either though. After all, to get a power suit you normally have to either be part of the establishment (Wealthy member able to dictate agenda) or given suit BY the establishment ("You will be testing the..." ) . This allows for visionaries with their own agendas, or soldiers doing their duty, but the rebel seems often missing. I guess most 'rogue' Powered Armor types become default villains as likely the gear isn't legally theirs. [/b]

Previously mentioned creator of Finn was an armored hero/ gadgeteer who was a low-level employee of a big tech company. As he delivered the mail to each department, he saw how their individual projects could be combined into what became his digitally stored super armor.

He tended to build stuff first, then figure out if it was a good idea.

Oh, and the suggestion of a homosexual brick... I met this gay couple on the last train out of Grand Central one night who were HUGE! They must have met at the steroid shop or someplace. Somehow I doubt they have many problems with homophobes.

Re: Re: Breaking Personality Stereotypes for the Archetypes

Originally posted by RevHooligan

Oh, and the suggestion of a homosexual brick... I met this gay couple on the last train out of Grand Central one night who were HUGE! They must have met at the steroid shop or someplace. Somehow I doubt they have many problems with homophobes.

Which reminds me of the badly dated pre-Reunification joke: "Is he juicing? He's got enough male hormones in his body to legally qualify as an East German woman!"

Re: Re: Re: Breaking Personality Stereotypes for the Archetypes

Originally posted by McCoy

Which reminds me of the badly dated pre-Reunification joke: "Is he juicing? He's got enough male hormones in his body to legally qualify as an East German woman!"

:D

The updated version:

"Is he juicing? He's got enough male hormones in his body to legally qualify as a female Chinese swimmer!"

Originally posted by umbra

Since you all are sticking mostly to male suggestions why not make 'em all female nuns or something? Sorta like the nun character in that movie with Bruce Willis. You could still have all the different types (bricks, speedsters etc).

I like this idea. The Order of Saint Joan the Defender, a Catholic Church sponsored women's super-team.

Even in a dead serious campaign that could work.

Originally posted by umbra

You could give them all a code against killing, and have them watched by the church for disads.

Yes to both, plus Subject to Orders from the church heirarchy, Membership in the church as a perk, and maybe hunted by Demon or the Crowns of Krym. Psych limits like "True Faith" or "Secret Agnostic."

Works great as a rival super-team, as emergency back-up, or as victims that need rescuing. Could even work as a hunted for Supers with a Demonic origin, or as a plot hook for an adventure investigating coruption in the church.

Patriot- Has anyone made a Patriot who challenges his or her own government regularly? Participating in rallies and such? I had a concept called "Defiant" that did just that. I think it was fairly original, but I could be wrong. Mind you, given the Avatar part of Patriots, anything COULD be done really.

I had the idea of a "fake" patriot for the superpowered Village People some of you helped me through a couple of months ago :

Cloudwalker is a energy projector with weather powers (lightning blasts, mist, winds ...). Visually, he is a tall winged tanned man, dressed as an indian chief with leather trousers, pearl necklace and the classical big feathered cap. (see the indian in the VP ?)

The only problem is that Cloudwalker is not a native american but a hispanic; he just happened to be at the wrong place at the worng time and an ancient force bestowed him the power (only reason of that : the force was entrapped in a indian tomb and there wasn't any native american candidate available close).

Basically, imagine some national/ethnic values having to be defended for one reason or the other by a foreigner/stranger. or someone having to defend ideals he/she doesn't belong to.

Originally posted by altamaros

Basically, imagine some national/ethnic values having to be defended for one reason or the other by a foreigner/stranger. or someone having to defend ideals he/she doesn't belong to.

Heh. :)

Picture all of the anoying American kids who spend a week in Japan and then prance around in a yukata or kimono...

Originally posted by McCoy

So, Hermit, when do we get to see the group?

Well, the full write ups and sheets won't be ready for a long time, if ever (After all, as NPCs, I don't have to count their points ;) )

But I'll try to write out some brief things (personality included) for them here if folks are actually interested.

Well, the full write ups and sheets won't be ready for a long time, if ever (After all, as NPCs, I don't have to count their points ;) )

But I'll try to write out some brief things (personality included) for them here if folks are actually interested.

Heck, of course we're interested. :)

Originally posted by altamaros

I had the idea of a "fake" patriot...

That's a really good idea. Like Captain America who's really a German in WW2. Or a space alien?

Originally posted by RevHooligan

IThe supreme mystic in my campaign is The Finn, a super-intellegent android who was told to scan a large occult library. He has since spent 60 years studing the occult and redesigning himself. Currently the world is in danger because someone hit his tower with an EMP and made off with his head (aslo the world's most complete occult database).

I really love the robot/mystic mix. Normally, magic is portrayed as being anti-tech and the two just don't mix. If this doesn't turn both stereotypes on their head, I don't know what else does.