What rule don't people know?

CorPse

Re: What rule don't people know?

Grab is virtually broken if your Casual STR outclasses the Grabbed person's STR. Last time I gamed I did a Grab By (half Run' date=' Grab By, half Leap) to scoop up a wounded teammate (-1 BODY) and get him out of the line of fire and then later Grabbed the normal STR but huge OCV w/ weapons villainess by the weapon arm, taking her pretty much out of the fight. :thumbup: Then the guy she sniped to -1 BODY pasted her while she was at 1/2 DCV, because of the Grab, but that's not exactly a shining, heroic moment because she was pretty much in custody at the time. :o[/quote']

Hey, if you're not going to make the villains pay for using weapons built through Foci then who will?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really see it being a problem with a game if someone who is vastly strong can hold on to someone who isn't. I would think that's a rather appropriate feature' date=' not a bug.[/quote']

I think there's a caveat somewhere in the Grab rules that expresses as much. (ie if you're silly-much stronger than someone else your DCV doesn't necessarily get halved.)

A house rule that makes it a ratio of some sort (say 1/2 DCV, then +1 for every 10 STR you have over the target of the grab, limited to no penalty.) might not be a bad idea...

So if you have an 8 DCV, but are +40 STR stronger than your opponent, you don't suffer any DCV penalty. I would think that if the target were also extra heavy, that could hinder the grabber in a similar fashion as the target being stronger. But I also think the converse isn't true past a certain point. That point being that which 0 STR could lift.

One problem with this is how do you count the STR of a Martial Artist? Just their Base STR, or their Base STR + STR from Martial Art DCs, or Base + Martial DCs + Escape Maneuver?

Gave me a good chuckle.

I mean are we talking something beyond grab, breakout roll, etc? That's all pretty straightforward in Hero, right.

Right?

Grab (looks up the modifiers for grab)

Succeeds

Casual strength contest roll immediately

Fails

Looks up the penalties for being in a grab

Looks up what you can do with someone in a grab (if you damage them does that eman you have to let go?)

Grabees phase makes a full strength contest roll

Fails

Looks up what you can do when you are grabbed and attacks the grabber at a penalty

Grabber's next phase realises he needs to roll to hit again, despite the grab still being in place to cause damage this phase...

It is not that straightforward...

Certainly the last part (needing to reroll) is dang hard to remember. I think that was added in 5th? Or did I just never notice it in fourth? Wouldn't be the first time...

Added in 5th (presumably on the grounds that you would otherwise need continous on your STR).

We houseruled that one out of existence as it makes no sense and the penalties for grabbing someone do not make it a killer tactic (in fact, grabs are not used that frequently in most games I've played in though as a GM, I make fairly frequent use of them)

cheers, Mark

Grabber's next phase realises he needs to roll to hit again' date=' despite the grab still being in place to cause damage this phase...[/quote']

If the attack roll for the Squeeze fails, the victim takes no damage but remains grabbed. If the attack roll for the Throw fails, the victim suffers no effects of a Throw, and is no longer grabbed. (5ER, p 387).

It's there in black & white. But I do believe it is a change from prior editions.

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't realize that Presence Attacks could be Haymakered. I also didn't realize that if you Haymaker an attack (of almost any kind), it it foiled if the target moves 1" or more. Even ECV powers and Presence Attacks. Which sounds kinda strange to me -- a Presence Attack "missing" it's "target", but I can see the game balance reasons for it.

EDIT: I knew about the 1" target move foiling a Hamaker in relation to HtH attacks and ranged CV attacks. :)

• 2 months later...

Just thought of a new one:

Extra Time doesn't stop you from doing other things before the time is up, it just makes the effect take that long to be applied. You can run around, use other powers, etc while the Extra Time is ticking down.

If you want to have the extra time prevent you from taking other actions, that's an additional +1/4 limitation.

Extra Time doesn't stop you from doing other things before the time is up, it just makes the effect take that long to be applied. You can run around, use other powers, etc while the Extra Time is ticking down.

If you want to have the extra time prevent you from taking other actions, that's an additional +1/4 limitation.

Good one.

I've recently discovered the rule for non-Combat Teleporting, basically: Takes an extra-phase to do it, and you are 0 OCV, and 1/2 DCV while you are getting ready to go.

Makes perfect sense if you think about it...

Good one.

I've recently discovered the rule for non-Combat Teleporting, basically: Takes an extra-phase to do it, and you are 0 OCV, and 1/2 DCV while you are getting ready to go.

Makes perfect sense if you think about it...

Isn't that rule for all Non-Combat Movement?

IIRC, if the Extra Time power is an Attack Power, it restricts you to not making any other attacks until it goes off. You can stop the preparation to do a quicker attack, but all of the time spent so far is lost and would have to be re-done for the next use.

IIRC, if the Extra Time power is an Attack Power, it restricts you to not making any other attacks until it goes off.

That's what the book says, although it also allows exceptions for some attacks such as poisons that take time to affect the target. I make it a special effects judgement call: if the special effect is "it takes time for the meteor to fall from orbit" then other attacks can be launched. If the special effect is "it takes time for me to power up the attack" then they cannot. Probably an additional limitation would be proper for this.