What rule don't people know?

CorPse

Re: What rule don't people know?

So I'll have to look at the rules and see how to turn a constant power into an instant power.

When I put it that way it sounds like a really strange thing to do to make a power last longer....

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary suggests dehydrating it. Instant Power, just add water!

The effects would have to be lingering. Mind Scan has no lingering effects. Damage, being tied up, having an overriding command placed in your head.

It's not just that they're Instant, they're Instant with a lingering effect - they cause something to happen to a target.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And under the 5E rules for simply being Stunned you do get to recover from being Stunned the same phase you get Stunned' date=' but only if your normal action is after you got Stunned. So if your Action comes up before you get Stunned, whether you use it or not, you lose your Held Action and have to wait until your next Phase to Recover from being Stunned. However if your normal action is after the attack that Stuns you, you get to recover from being Stunned during the same Segment. Apparently you've paid for the privilege of being Stunned for one extra Phase... :)[/quote']

I'd simply rule that you can use a held action to recover from being Stunned, which should fix the problem.

Have a look a the next few stop signs you see' date=' you'll see what I'm getting at.[/quote']

There are none I'm aware of without the border - that's part of the regulation of making the sign...

But your phrasing tempts me to go paint it out and try and convince a cop the Border is what's enforcing compliance. :)

• 3 weeks later...

This rule:

Steve, I looked in the Ultimate Brick and didn't see a clear answer to this Question. I also checked the FAQ's.

If I use a martial attack and a normal punch in a multiple power attack, how much END does it cost?

Assume a 50 STR brick.

5 or 10?

Re: Multiple power attacks and STR

5, because a character only has to pay END for his STR once per Phase no matter how he uses it. Otherwise it would be 10.

Yes END for STR once... that's a good one.

How about this? You can only make an Activation Roll for a particular thing once per phase.

Usually this comes up with armor. Let's say I get hit and make my activation roll. If I get knocked back into a wall, I don't make a new roll... I just get the benefit of a doubt. (And if I fail, it's just the opposite.)

Moral, don't fail you activation rolls.

Yes END for STR once... that's a good one.

How about this? You can only make an Activation Roll for a particular thing once per phase.

Usually this comes up with armor. Let's say I get hit and make my activation roll. If I get knocked back into a wall, I don't make a new roll... I just get the benefit of a doubt. (And if I fail, it's just the opposite.)

Moral, don't fail you activation rolls.

Wait, what about the use of Activation Roll to represent incomplete coverage in a game that doesn't use hit locations? Are we to presume that because shooter A got in a lucky shot on target B's unarmored leg that all subsequent shots also hit that same location?

Adventus,

I saw the thread where you asked that question and Steve answered it.

His answer is wrong, according to The Ultimate Brick (and you were right to have looked there before asking the question):

TUB, p. 7: "On the other hand, this rule does not apply to STR-based attacks (punches, HAs, HKAs, and so on) with the Autofire Advantage, to the use of STR to Sweep one or more targets, or to any other situation or game element that would allow a character to make two or more STR-based attacks in a Phase. In those situations, the character has to pay END once for each attack."

This text is NOT repeated in 5ER.

I emailed Steve quoting the above text; there has been no reply yet. I don't know if the TUB rule has been scrapped or not...

Adventus,

I saw the thread where you asked that question and Steve answered it.

His answer is wrong, according to The Ultimate Brick (and you were right to have looked there before asking the question):

TUB, p. 7: "On the other hand, this rule does not apply to STR-based attacks (punches, HAs, HKAs, and so on) with the Autofire Advantage, to the use of STR to Sweep one or more targets, or to any other situation or game element that would allow a character to make two or more STR-based attacks in a Phase. In those situations, the character has to pay END once for each attack."

This text is NOT repeated in 5ER.

I emailed Steve quoting the above text; there has been no reply yet. I don't know if the TUB rule has been scrapped or not...

Actually the rule is suggested in 5er and clarified in the FAQ:

From the FAQ

http://www.herogames.com/rulesFAQ.htm?ruleset=&section=&keywords=autofire&dateString=

Since a character only pays END once per Phase for all uses of STR, does that mean if he has an Autofire STR-based attack (such as Autofire for his Punch, HA, or HKA), that he only has to pay END once no matter how many punches he throws?

No, he has to pay END for every punch. You correctly cite the general rule, but the potential abusiveness of that rule in this situation is obvious, so the GM should apply the standard END rule for Autofire attacks.

and from:

Hero System 5th Edition, Revised

Chapter Two 359

USING MULTIPLE POWER ATTACKS

Different Powers

When characters engage in weapons combat, use Martial Maneuvers, and the like, attacks based on or using STR count as “distinct attacks” for purposes of making multiple-power attacks provided their effects are reasonably distinguishable. A Maneuver that causes damage (such as Legsweep) is reasonably distinguishable from one that provides extra STR for a specific purpose (such as Martial Disarm) in most instances. Two Maneuvers that simply cause damage (Strike and Martial Strike, for example) generally are not, but the GM determines this based on the character, the situation, and other factors. If a character wants to hit a single target multiple times with the same, or two similar, damage-causing Maneuvers or attacks (like Martial Strike and Defensive Strike), usually he should choose one of the maneuvers and use a Sweep (or Rapid Fire, for Ranged attacks). Multiple-power attacks work best when characters combine two different forms of attack to generate an interesting eff ect, not when they simply lump two attack abilities together to cause more damage.

At the GM’s option, if a character wants to fight with a melee weapon in each hand, he may do so as a multiple-power attack, even though that involves using two similar (perhaps identical) attacks that both do damage with STR. (The same applies to using two Ranged weapons, such as two pistols or two thrown daggers.)

Hero System 5th Edition, Revised

Chapter Two page 397

SWEEP

This Maneuver allows a character to use a HTH attack more than once in a Phase against a single target or multiple targets (provided they’re all within HTH range).

Sweep requires a Full Phase and reduces the character to ½ DCV. He also suffers a cumulative -2 OCV penalty for each attack after the first. If he misses any of his Attack Rolls, all remaining attacks in that sequence automatically miss also. He must expend END or Charges for each attack.

Wait' date=' what about the use of Activation Roll to represent incomplete coverage in a game that doesn't use hit locations? Are we to presume that because shooter A got in a lucky shot on target B's unarmored leg that all subsequent shots also hit that same location?[/quote']

Strangely enough, I do believe that's the case... although some sleuthing might prove me wrong.

Want to crack open 5ER and have a look???

... (though in some cases, such as a suit of armor that only partly covers the character, the GM may let the character make further Activation Rolls in the same Phase).

5er seems to phrase it like it's a GM option. I can uderstand making the roll only once per Phase (like for a flicker-field I've seen in some wargames). It's either on, and covers everything, or off and doesn't. But partial coverage Armor is effectively a Schrödinger's Cat -- it's both "on" and "off" at the same time.

5er seems to phrase it like it's a GM option. I can uderstand making the roll only once per Phase (like for a flicker-field I've seen in some wargames). It's either on' date=' and covers everything, or off and doesn't. But partial coverage Armor is effectively a Schrödinger's Cat -- it's both "on" and "off" at the same time.[/quote']

Thank you for checking into that!

grabing / grappling

In my games, nobody ever bothers to remember how to grab someone. Which is really annoying, because at some point one PC will try to grab the other PC (due to role playing reasons) and then both players have no clue how that will work out. And that's not in Hero, but in all systems...

grabing / grappling

In my games, nobody ever bothers to remember how to grab someone. Which is really annoying, because at some point one PC will try to grab the other PC (due to role playing reasons) and then both players have no clue how that will work out. And that's not in Hero, but in all systems...

Gave me a good chuckle.

I mean are we talking something beyond grab, breakout roll, etc? That's all pretty straightforward in Hero, right.

Right?

Gave me a good chuckle.

I mean are we talking something beyond grab, breakout roll, etc? That's all pretty straightforward in Hero, right.

Right?

Dunno... same thing happens to me. Apparently, the group I game with isn't fond of Grabs (in this or any game), so they come up so infrequently nobody ever remembers the exact rules. *shrug*

Dunno... same thing happens to me. Apparently' date=' the group I game with isn't fond of Grabs (in this or any game), so they come up so infrequently nobody ever remembers the exact rules. *shrug*[/quote']

Guess it's more widespread issue than I thought.

Having a friend that can pull a Grab By can save your booty. (And we ain't talkin' pirate treasure here.)

Dunno... same thing happens to me. Apparently' date=' the group I game with isn't fond of Grabs (in this or any game), so they come up so infrequently nobody ever remembers the exact rules. *shrug*[/quote']

Grab is virtually broken if your Casual STR outclasses the Grabbed person's STR. Last time I gamed I did a Grab By (half Run, Grab By, half Leap) to scoop up a wounded teammate (-1 BODY) and get him out of the line of fire and then later Grabbed the normal STR but huge OCV w/ weapons villainess by the weapon arm, taking her pretty much out of the fight. :thumbup: Then the guy she sniped to -1 BODY pasted her while she was at 1/2 DCV, because of the Grab, but that's not exactly a shining, heroic moment because she was pretty much in custody at the time. :o